Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Problem description: Fairly recent build (March), computer has had issues with sleep since day one, as in, if it goes to sleep, it won't wake up, but everything still has power (GPU, USB, etc.), but more recently, trying to play H:ZD it has been incredibly crashy, sometimes to the point of actually hard locking and requiring a hard reset, sometimes just the game crashing, a few times BSOD.

Attempted fixes: I tried messing with the video options in H:ZD to find a setting that might be causing it, no love, and the level of crashes I sometimes get indicate to me it's well beyond that, although I haven't experienced this in other games. For the sleep thing, I tried setting the energy profile or whatever it's called to performance, that was mentioned in google results in relation to sleep issues, but that didn't help. If the computer sits idle for too long, screen asleep, I have to hard reset it. At this point, I basically have to hit the power button to turn it fully off every time I walk away for more than I-don't-know-how-long.

Recent changes: I mean, I built the drat thing, I guess, that's a change. Parts list is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QgzL2m

Operating system: Windows 11

System specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QgzL2m as above, but the gist is:
- Gigabyte Z690 Auros pro
- G.Skill trident DDR5 (2x16)
- Samsung 980 nvme
- EVGA 3080
- EVGA supernova p6 1kw

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yeah, and it resulted in me running the windows memory diagnostic just for kicks, which did report some issues. This is with the standard test:

And then I looked up how to get more info and

So a couple bad pages? I'm not sure where to go from here, what do I do next? Should I run the extended memory test for more info or what? Should I try switching RAM slots around or messing with the BIOS memory settings? I can get a screenshot or something of how it's currently configured if that's helpful.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try using one stick of RAM at a time and see if both individual sticks give memory errors or not. If Windows is giving a memory error then it's usually a decent bet something isn't right.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, I was under the impression they had to be installed in pairs? Is that an outdated requirement?

e: Google says I can, cool beans. I’ll see if I can narrow it down further.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 29, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Huh, I was under the impression they had to be installed in pairs? Is that an outdated requirement?

It's mainly a myth. RAM is often sold in pairs because you'll get better performance using two sticks rather than one. But for testing purposes it's fine.

On most motherboards you'll just want to put one stick into the slot closest to the CPU. If only one stick gives an error then it's probably bad. But if both individual sticks give an error then it's probably a slot issue or something else.