Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Problem description: I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (from ~2014) that I've been running Fedora on. Something went wrong in the latest system update, and now it just hangs on the Fedora splash screen. Since it's just a playground laptop, I figured I'd just do a clean install from a bootable thumb drive. However, despite trying at least three different tools (Rufus, Live Linux USB Creator, and UNetbootin), the laptop will not recognize the thumb drive as a bootable device.

Attempted fixes: I have tried the thumb drive (prepared with Rufus) on a different laptop with the same result. I also tried making the thumb drive into a Windows 11 installation media, and that booted (laptop doesn't meet the minimum requirements, though). So it appears that the drive can be bootable, just not for Linux (or maybe Fedora)?

Recent changes: Not sure this is applicable, but I guess the system update through the Fedora package manager.

--

Operating system: e.g. 64-bit Fedora

System specs: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, model name 20266. Intel Core 4th Gen i5-4200U with 4 GB of RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I had some luck with rEFInd on an old Macbook

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRai14ETKU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Perhaps I'm using it incorrectly, but I can't boot from this, either. I grabbed the USB version from this link and loaded it with Rufus. I then told the target laptop to boot from that USB device, and I got a black screen with a blue box saying "EFI USB Device (PNY USB 3.0 FD) boot failed." There's only an "[OK]" option, and if I hit enter I get the "No bootable device" message again.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Not sure about the USB version. I installed it on the machine when the Mac OS was running. So maybe you could install Windows 7 (pretty sure you can download an ISO off microsoft.net) then install rEFInd. It takes time but it was simple to do for me. I installed it and restarted and then the machine could detect a bunch of USB boot drives that weren't working before. I think once you have the Linux installer running you can install Linux over the Windows install. But if anything goes wrong or you want to install a different OS you have to start the whole process over again.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 29, 2022

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, it seems I can't even use this USB drive anymore; Windows 11 doesn't even see it. I don't have another one of the requisite size. WTF did rEFInd do to this thing?

Edit: Well, Device Manager can see it, but not Explorer.

Edit 2: Disk Management could see it, I could format it from there.

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, Windows 10 is installed. Now to get back to Linux land... Thanks for your help.