Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
*) realizes that with two small kids and a full time job, it was probably best to pay someone to do it.

The story starts in 2018 when my wife and I buy an old house with the intention of tearing it down and building a new one. Much discussion later, and we end up with this:

I had a strong wish for a built-in garage, but 1) we couldn't afford it at the time and 2) there was no good way to have an attached garage without making the entrance path to the house a mess. So we decided to kick that can down the road.

My thinking then went from "I'll build the garage myself!" to "I'll pay someone to do the foundation and build the rest myself!" to "Ah, fuckit, I'll pay through the nose to have it built for me." over the course of two years. In the mean time, we were able to refinance our mortgage a couple of times, so, flush with funny money, I set out.

First chapter was the battle with city hall. First, I had misunderstood the bylaws, and thought I had a max of 50 square meters to play with. The wife found that way too much, so that was whittled down to 42. But turns out that the actual limit was 35. So here we are.

Next challenge was the height. Max permissible height is 2.5m, but the area where the garage goes slopes downwards, away from the street, dropping about 0.5m. After much back and forth with the bureaucrats (for which I was billed by the hour) I was permitted a max height of 2.25m.

Off to find a reputable contractor, which, as you all now, don't grow on trees. And then for them to find a time slot. Lo and behold, not even half a year from first phone call, ground is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:munch:

2.25m? For the outside height?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

First day of construction, the guys just dump the dirt in the street, to be later picked up. As luck would have it a) you can't do that and b) the loving city inspector for exactly that lives on my street and goes home for lunch every day. Cue the project being five hours old and I already have angry guys yelling at each other, at me, and into phones. Contractor then procured some containers.

They then dug a gigantic hole. They were told to look out for sewer, district heating and the water mains. They found all three, just too bad they found the water main with the backhoe. Cue a day of no running water.

Side story: never have I had such interest from strangers as when I had a hundred cubic meter hole in my front yard. Quite the conversation starter.

Eventually the foundation was built up, and the hole filled in.

300mm of styrofoam and a fuckload of rebar.

...aaand the concrete truck came by, and we now have a foundation. Just have to stand guard with the shotgun to fend off cats and kids who might walk onto the wet cement.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

:munch:

2.25m? For the outside height?

Yes.

Which is quite the challenge.

The roof needs to slope, which costs around 120mm, and of course needs a thickness as well. With the use of steel beams and high tech (and very expensive) insulation finished ceiling height will be around 2 meters.

This brings us to yesterday, which saw the start of the framing:

bolind fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 12, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
you're spending all that money, building from scratch, and are getting a ceiling barely high enough to stand up in?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Trust me, I’d love love to have more headroom, but there was simply no way given the constraints.

The lots in our area aren’t very big, and the zoning is rather strict.

You are correct, though, the same amount of money would probably have bought something significantly larger out in the sticks.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Slowly taking shape...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Roof almost done!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

bolind posted:

Roof almost done!

Is it slanted so water runs off?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

builds character posted:

Is it slanted so water runs off?

Yes. 2.5% if I’m not mistaken. You can see the “gutter” on the left side (it’s not the actual gutter, more like a lip that lets water drip into the gutter.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

bolind posted:

Yes. 2.5% if I’m not mistaken. You can see the “gutter” on the left side (it’s not the actual gutter, more like a lip that lets water drip into the gutter.)

I thought you lived somewhere cold. No worries about snow loading?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

I thought you lived somewhere cold. No worries about snow loading?

I haven’t checked the calculations but it’s supposed to be built to spec, and that spec accounts for snow load.

There’s 100x100mm I-beams up there for every 60cm so my gut feeling is that we’re solid.

Edit: just checked with my engineering buddy and we’re good to about 80cm snow.

bolind fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 12, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:lol: snow in Denmark, that's a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

:lol: snow in Denmark, that's a good one.

Hey, it happens!

Well, happened, now global warming has ensured that everything is just wet instead.