Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

thinkpad x/t/p forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
dude,

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:thunk:pad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the xps 13 has 2 usb c ports and no others

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

the xps 13 has 2 usb c ports and no others

they decided to go full apple

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

work was going to order me this hideous looking dell latitude and I told them nope and made them order a precision. the it guy wasn’t happy about it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
every thinkpad ive ever used was a piece of poo poo. i have no idea how they ever got so popular.

lattitudes are trash too. if you get a precision there are kid of 2 families. theres the one thats just the XPS line with different component choices and a higher markup, and then theres the huge desktop replacement type deals. the desktop replacements will probably have better cooling but they arent really laptops.

I have 2 xps 15s and an xps 17 and the 15s are both pretty good. the 17 has a great form factor, but the cooling is poo poo cause mine has an intel 11th gen cpu.

idg people complaining about the keyboards tho cause the xps keyboards are good.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m mostly complaining about latitudes I guess. but I’ve been getting a lot of xps 13s across my desk and they are annoying to open up

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

as in there is no protrusion to hook your thumb on when opening

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

every thinkpad ive ever used was a piece of poo poo. i have no idea how they ever got so popular.

lattitudes are trash too. if you get a precision there are kid of 2 families. theres the one thats just the XPS line with different component choices and a higher markup, and then theres the huge desktop replacement type deals. the desktop replacements will probably have better cooling but they arent really laptops.

I have 2 xps 15s and an xps 17 and the 15s are both pretty good. the 17 has a great form factor, but the cooling is poo poo cause mine has an intel 11th gen cpu.

idg people complaining about the keyboards tho cause the xps keyboards are good.

Yeah, I went with the precision 5570 that looks like an xps 15. They also offered a precision 3571 that looked like it was huge but with a weird trackpad and a 10key. the 5570 had a 16:10 display which seems nice

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the font on xps keyboards sucks

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

distortion park posted:

the font on xps keyboards sucks

good thing I can touch type

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gentle reminder that Dell laptops suck

I’m mostly complaining about the latitude tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

Yeah, I went with the precision 5570 that looks like an xps 15. They also offered a precision 3571 that looked like it was huge but with a weird trackpad and a 10key. the 5570 had a 16:10 display which seems nice

16:10 rules and its nice that more laptops are using it. its too bad most other monitors are 16:9 tv bullshit

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

agreeing with shaggar

except keyboards. there is no good laptop keyboards anymore, they dont exist. you'd have to go back to the time when there still were an ibm logo on lenovos to find a good laptop keyboard, and dell had good ones at the same time period too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

doesn’t asus have an rog laptop with mechanical keys or some shjt

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
been using an inspiron 11 3185 for a few years now and it's great if a bit slow sometimes (stupid hard-wired CPU)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gross

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

doesn’t asus have an rog laptop with mechanical keys or some shjt

you can't buy laptops that are designed in taiwan, they are always either gamer trash or cheap trash

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

you can't buy laptops that are designed in taiwan, they are always either gamer trash or cheap trash

I'd rather be in taiwan than "the republic of gamers" wherever that is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

going to immigrate to the republic of gamers and renounce my us citizenship

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

going to immigrate to the republic of gamers and renounce my us citizenship

where every moment is a heated gamer moment

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tankakern posted:

agreeing with shaggar

except keyboards. there is no good laptop keyboards anymore, they dont exist. you'd have to go back to the time when there still were an ibm logo on lenovos to find a good laptop keyboard, and dell had good ones at the same time period too

they used the same keyboards after the transition too. when they changed it there was a massive outcry because it was soooo bad

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

akadajet posted:

I'd rather be in taiwan than "the republic of gamers" wherever that is

i regret to inform you that "the republic of gamers" is taiwan

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mediaphage posted:

they used the same keyboards after the transition too. when they changed it there was a massive outcry because it was soooo bad

and laptop keyboards were never the same again

no wonder there's such a cult following around the x220

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

“they’ll get used to the change”

- pretty much every company that implements a product change.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have some bad news about dell laptops

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

my 2yo xps 15 was deece until last month where the left shift key just decided it didn’t want to work. modern garbage can’t handle a couple years before crapping out?

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Diorama posted:

are those the ones with the function-key mounted webcams?

yes, they're great

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
using my xps 15 from 2015 right now and its still fine except the battery only lasts like 2 hours.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ah yes, my dell laptop is fine except for the part where it sucks

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've zero legitimate complaints about my hp elitebook 840 g7 or my macbook (2017) 12" with core m5 processor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a 5 year old battery

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

how long did it last back then

also for me powertop --auto-tune does wonders

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

shaggar would never use a limux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah it’s called having self respect

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

. the one I have now has a really loud fan

that’s what she said

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use laptops from apple computer inc and they are good op, maybe try those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

heard someone in this thread saying that dell laptops suck?????