Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ok now im curious to see how messed up Dell ubunut is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i had popOS on my xps 15 a few years ago and I remember it being pretty good. It would also do the no-wifi-from-sleep thing occasionally but it was a work computer so it was a welcome break usually

i installed it originally because the windows install would periodically blast max volume static into my headphones because i unsinstalled the load-bearing audio bloatware

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

ok now im curious to see how messed up Dell ubunut is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

huh

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

i'd have gone the high fidelity route at the cost of a probe, but i guess not everyone is committed to quality

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

amberpos is gross

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

im not a fan of the 7xxx series - too small IMO

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Zlodo posted:

i'd have gone the high fidelity route at the cost of a probe, but i guess not everyone is committed to quality

I mean if I were committed to quality I wouldn't be on this Dell, am I right

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ahh, new laptops

i had to set kernel command line acpi_osi="!Windows 2012" to get suspend to work. without it the screen wouldn't turn off, and the wifi would die, requiring a reboot.

what pain we must endure to just get a working machine, especially if it's a new model.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

amberpos is gross

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

ahh, new laptops

i had to set kernel command line acpi_osi="!Windows 2012" to get suspend to work. without it the screen wouldn't turn off, and the wifi would die, requiring a reboot.

what pain we must endure to just get a working machine, especially if it's a new model.

you know this doesn't happen if you use a supported OS

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao who's "we"

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why has s2idle / s0ix taken over from s3 sleep state? that just means new laptops never powers down properly when you close the lid anymore

i feel like this has made new laptops worse in terms of power save features than old ones. ok, they last a long time under use, but you can't close the lid and put it in your backpack anymore without turning it off.

why is everything regressing

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

who decides these things

is there one engineer at intel who's at fault for just yanking s3 from some intel spec

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

why has s2idle / s0ix taken over from s3 sleep state? that just means new laptops never powers down properly when you close the lid anymore

i feel like this has made new laptops worse in terms of power save features than old ones. ok, they last a long time under use, but you can't close the lid and put it in your backpack anymore without turning it off.

it is to make sure your bluetooth devices never pair with the thing you expect op

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i always disable any lid actions. if i close the lid it just means i don't want to look at computer anymore, if i wanted it to sleep or hibernate or shut down i would've just chose that instead

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Tankakern posted:

ahh, new laptops

Nevermind this, it didn't work.

What _did_ work was this jank workaround: restart NetworkManager after suspend. Seems like it's an age-old trick: https://sorenpoulsen.com/dell-xps-developer-edition-resume-wifi-after-suspend-on-ubuntu-1604

What it actually was, was that those out-of-tree modules enabling webcam are absolute trash, and the solution is adding a script that rmmod's them before suspend, and then modprobe them again after suspend. what the hell are you doing intel

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 21, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Corla Plankun posted:

i always disable any lid actions. if i close the lid it just means i don't want to look at computer anymore, if i wanted it to sleep or hibernate or shut down i would've just chose that instead

this is the way

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

there is a visceral pleasure in slamming your laptop shut at the end of the day and seeing the status lights turn off. just doesn’t hit the same when the screen is already off

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah, when i shut the lid it doesnt mean "i would prefer to not look at this" it means "gently caress this poo poo, i am done"

ideally there'd be some pyrotechnics as well

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

when someone tells you to turn your monitor off shutting the lid to do it doesn’t have the same effect

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the best only good thing about two in-office days in a row is leaving the work laptop at the office and going home without it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

My dell work laptop likes to overheat.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don’t have a Dell work laptop but I am forced to work with them frequently. they suck

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my work issued 2018 mbp has a totally shot battery that barely holds a charge and our IT dept won’t pay for out of warranty repairs for a battery change, they told me to just order a new one

due to ~*supply chain issues*~ the lead times on them getting macbooks is so long they removed them from our service now poo poo

im gonna keep using this thing until it completely dies just to avoid getting issued a dell

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

better hell than dell

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

due to ~*supply chain issues*~ the lead times on them getting macbooks is so long

What? Macs are shipping like next business day.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nvrgrls posted:

apparently not when you order them pre-enrolled with the enterprise MDM from the factory

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

nvrgrls posted:

when apple had to replace my macbook pro that their repair facility lost, i was told it could be over a month. the guy points to the demo model and is like, that's the only one i have, if you wanted to buy one today i can't sell it to you. only after much protest did i finally speak to a manager who "discovered" a silver one in the back that i could have

this was less than a month ago

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I bought a new MBP two months ago and it only arrived last week. Just unlucky?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 22, 2022

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

akadajet posted:

when someone tells you to turn your monitor off shutting the lid to do it doesn’t have the same effect

i work in a mirrored room at all times

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

apparently not when you order them pre-enrolled with the enterprise MDM from the factory

oh gross

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i tried the "reset windows but keep files" thing and maxxxxxaudio is still here :argh:

edit: oh this is the right place to start: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/linux (make sure to choose advanced mode to get the normal win10 iso and not the horny-for-spyware dell version)

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 30, 2022

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

i tried the "reset windows but keep files" thing and maxxxxxaudio is still here :argh:

edit: oh this is the right place to start: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/linux (make sure to choose advanced mode to get the normal win10 iso and not the horny-for-spyware dell version)

install linux, problem solved I guess

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

akadajet posted:

install linux, problem solved I guess

this but unironically

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the best only good thing about two in-office days in a row is leaving the work laptop at the office and going home without it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
wow computoon still exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003