Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

that’s a Lenovo cable you cad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

what a lousy snipe. I got a MacBooks Air on the way, goodbye Dell Latitude 7400

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

strangehamster posted:

what a lousy snipe. I got a MacBooks Air on the way, goodbye Dell Latitude 7400

that's gonna be an amazing upgrade just considering the keyboard and touchpad

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I’m still scared, can there be too much track space?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
nope

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hell my MacBook (2017) (12”) (rose gold) trackpad seems too small sometimes, especially when dragging something

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I mostly use an external mouse with my macbook because I'm a piece of poo poo human being

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I just love mousing around, I won’t stop

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Dude

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Corla Plankun posted:

i tried the "reset windows but keep files" thing and maxxxxxaudio is still here :argh:

edit: oh this is the right place to start: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/linux (make sure to choose advanced mode to get the normal win10 iso and not the horny-for-spyware dell version)

if you don't have WAVES MAXX AUDIO crapware installed the 3.5mm output won't switch properly.
the inbuilt speakers will still work OK though.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Michael Dell

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

makes sense we got Tim Apple

Rutherford IBM

Android Vanderbilt

Eliza Alienware

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lmao i ordered a dell xps for work specifdically because i figured out how to wipe dells thanks to this thread, and the os recovery tool for windows 11 doesn't have the loving non-bloatware option :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

install linux

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

im really wresting with it rn. do i want to just clean install with a win11 disk or should i go full nerd idiot??? i guess since i'm the lead i can do what i want and dont have to match any standards so linux it is baybee

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i have another pc with bluetooth headphones so i dont need to worry about sound btw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
windows 10 is fine and works idk man

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
windows is fine and works... for launching full screen games that completely take over the ui. the best thing you can do with windows, and indeed the most compelling reason to use it, is to get the gently caress out of the windows ui as quickly as possible

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

bluetooth is better in linux than windows

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have no Bluetooth complaints that warrant installing Linux.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh yeah win10 is better by any measure but linux is more fun for me and it's a work machine so it doesn't really matter if it works perfectly or not

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my new work precision is way better than my old one. maybe they figured out how to move heat and make fans that aren’t noisy or something

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I Love How the fan in my dell docking station is louder than the one in the actual laptop

sometimes I’ll hear the actual laptop spin up, but usually it’s just the dock

ridiculous

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tankakern posted:

install linux

i did this to a souped-up wyse 5070 and lmty that
poo poo actually works

Jonny 290 posted:

perk is they also have an imager for win 10 enterprise iot, which as far as i can tell is a slim plain install

i guess what i'm saying is i don't have a dell laptop

cyberWyrm
Jul 21, 2022
XPS 13 Plus sent for work had major thermal issues and system instability watching a 1440p video for more than 5 minutes. xPerf showed multiple 5-10 second gaps where every process was dead except System. i don't know how you make a laptop this bad?!?! clean format didn't help, Delbuntu didn't help, opted to punt.

at least i was able to switch to MacBook Pro M1 Pro, the second most pro-est.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

im writing this on a xps 13 plus myself, how did that happen

what did you install

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

like 90% chance it's some shitware AV software work installed deciding to loads chunks of the video file in a leaky sandbox or something

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

xps 13 plus (new gimmick variant for those not aware) seems just worse, with thermal issues even as designed, so any defect probably renders it unusable.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Tankakern posted:

install linux

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

It is fine AND why compromise though? Since we're talking Dell hardware, might as well put the best OS Dell supports on it (which is Linux).

edit: specifically, Debian with the nonfree binaries :rms2: even though I'm using ubuntu rn

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

or you could not buy a dell cause they fuckin suck

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Definitely don't pay money for one but if you can acquire one it's worth it. Unlike for example one of those cheap hps where you're better off just using a literal solar powered calculator.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

if anyone would like to sned me a new XPS 13 proplus I will evaluate the pos with a variety of os

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

if the laptop is intel 12th gen you need windows 11 for it to support the different performance and efficency cores properly

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

if the laptop is intel 12th gen you need windows 11 for it to support the different performance and efficency cores properly

oh snap

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tankakern posted:

install linux

no.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

linux is good but also bad

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got a new laptop from work, X13 Thinkpad. The IT person warned that under no circumstances should it be turned on until I got home. Turning it on while connected to a work network would brick it and it would have to be re-imaged. I can’t imagine why that would possibly be the case, but ok.

That’s what I did, and switching it on not only does most of my stuff on Onedrive (per instructions) not exist, but complex software such as Acrobat Reader and Chrome is not installed, and the work Software Center (TM) fails to install anything. Java is not working and so I can’t use the clinical data review software. I don’t have a VPN application for accessing some if the internal systems.

I think my company’s IT team might not be the best.

Laptop seems ok though.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

I got a new laptop from work, X13 Thinkpad. The IT person warned that under no circumstances should it be turned on until I got home. Turning it on while connected to a work network would brick it and it would have to be re-imaged. I can’t imagine why that would possibly be the case, but ok.

sounds like a good strat to avoid support requests for tiny things immediately after delivering the laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

tiny things like "it working to even a minimal level"