Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my work laptop is a thinkpad t15p. it's okay overall but lenovo's approach to dock power is bullshit, they either can't or won't shove enough power down the USB-C cable to run and charge the drat thing, so even when plugged into a dock you have to have a separate power connector plugged in, or you have to buy the really big and expensive dock that basically just binds the two cables together

so i've got three loving power adapters for this goddamn laptop, two for my home dock setup, and one that lives in the bag when i need to take the laptop with me. dogshit trash design.

also it doesn't take much CPU load for the fans to start spinning up. but from what i've heard at work it sounds like the dell users get bit by that too.

Tankakern posted:

it's kinda absurd, but microsoft makes good hardware

they should quit the software business and go all in on hardware

we've got both surfaces and dells at work and the surfaces have always had more finicky bullshit problems than the dells despite having at least four times as many dells as surfaces. just stupid bullshit like it going to sleep and not wanting to wake up and having to do some arcane volume/power key combo to reset it. or sometimes occasional display artifacting.

i got the impression that a lot of these are basically firmware issues, so i guess that confirms what you're saying about good hardware, bad software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

akadajet posted:

it depts loathe updating software

it's less the act of updating itself and more the subsequent complaints from people that a thing changed

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
although new software is often hot dogshit anyway

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"the new version no longer has certain features, and the interface is garbaged up, and now there's a memory leak that requires restarting the software twice a day... but some failson shithead developers and their managers got to put a bullet point on their resume that they "shipped" a "product" :airquote:, so who can say if it's good or bad"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

carry on then posted:

on the next episode of thinkpad ball z

thinkpad fans screaming as it ramps up to full power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

knox_harrington posted:

I got a new laptop from work, X13 Thinkpad. The IT person warned that under no circumstances should it be turned on until I got home. Turning it on while connected to a work network would brick it and it would have to be re-imaged.

what in the gently caress