Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

work just ordered me a new dell laptop to replace the one that I have that's only like 2 years old. the one I have now has a really loud fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

maybe i have to invest in a proper small dac

weren't there a brand posted here recently that actually had linux support with firmwares and such?

if there’s anyone here who can get sound to work on a laptop running linux it’s you. I believe in u

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

the schiit fulla 4 huh

the naming is intentional. they make solid dacs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

the xps 13 has 2 usb c ports and no others

they decided to go full apple

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

work was going to order me this hideous looking dell latitude and I told them nope and made them order a precision. the it guy wasn’t happy about it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

every thinkpad ive ever used was a piece of poo poo. i have no idea how they ever got so popular.

lattitudes are trash too. if you get a precision there are kid of 2 families. theres the one thats just the XPS line with different component choices and a higher markup, and then theres the huge desktop replacement type deals. the desktop replacements will probably have better cooling but they arent really laptops.

I have 2 xps 15s and an xps 17 and the 15s are both pretty good. the 17 has a great form factor, but the cooling is poo poo cause mine has an intel 11th gen cpu.

idg people complaining about the keyboards tho cause the xps keyboards are good.

Yeah, I went with the precision 5570 that looks like an xps 15. They also offered a precision 3571 that looked like it was huge but with a weird trackpad and a 10key. the 5570 had a 16:10 display which seems nice

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

distortion park posted:

the font on xps keyboards sucks

good thing I can touch type

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

you can't buy laptops that are designed in taiwan, they are always either gamer trash or cheap trash

I'd rather be in taiwan than "the republic of gamers" wherever that is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

going to immigrate to the republic of gamers and renounce my us citizenship

where every moment is a heated gamer moment

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

shaggar would never use a limux

yeah it’s called having self respect

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG8f6SGtV9c

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

i really liked the xps that i had for my job but i have had nonstop audio issues with dells and i dont know why they keep shipping with the stupid audio bullshit

you’re supposed to choose “windows” at checkout

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lots of orgs got 7 installed for years after it stopped making much sense though

it depts loathe updating software

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

Don’t you still have to deal with activating your poo poo?

activation poo poo is tied to the hardware somehow

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

ahh, new laptops

i had to set kernel command line acpi_osi="!Windows 2012" to get suspend to work. without it the screen wouldn't turn off, and the wifi would die, requiring a reboot.

what pain we must endure to just get a working machine, especially if it's a new model.

you know this doesn't happen if you use a supported OS

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

when someone tells you to turn your monitor off shutting the lid to do it doesn’t have the same effect

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

i tried the "reset windows but keep files" thing and maxxxxxaudio is still here :argh:

edit: oh this is the right place to start: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/linux (make sure to choose advanced mode to get the normal win10 iso and not the horny-for-spyware dell version)

install linux, problem solved I guess

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my new work precision is way better than my old one. maybe they figured out how to move heat and make fans that aren’t noisy or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

if the laptop is intel 12th gen you need windows 11 for it to support the different performance and efficency cores properly

lol. my it department doesn’t want us using windows 11