Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thinkpad x/t/p forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

like most laptops the xps series is improved by resetting windows the first thing you do (big button in control panel, asks if you want it to download a clean image from microsoft, gets you onto the windows update drivers dodging the Realtek garbage that's no doubt causing your issue).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

if its an xps that didnt come w/ win 10 its probably pre-2015 redesign and i wouldnt bother with those

lots of orgs got 7 installed for years after it stopped making much sense though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, product keys are in uefi somewhere on any modern oem computer, so for an xps it should be a one-click deal (well, something like three i think, 'reset keeping my files', 'download from microsoft', 'yes i am sure it is fine to wipe everything else', iirc) and just work.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

got a link to share or something, i've haven't followed it properly

not that much to them beyond being amd-exclusive and likely in the T realm of quality (and price). which is good, past amd thinkpads have been compromises (to support both a amd and intel version)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

why has s2idle / s0ix taken over from s3 sleep state? that just means new laptops never powers down properly when you close the lid anymore

i feel like this has made new laptops worse in terms of power save features than old ones. ok, they last a long time under use, but you can't close the lid and put it in your backpack anymore without turning it off.

it is to make sure your bluetooth devices never pair with the thing you expect op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

xps 13 plus (new gimmick variant for those not aware) seems just worse, with thermal issues even as designed, so any defect probably renders it unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

though that too requires getting on a recent kernel (as in newer than what you get default with ubuntu 22.04)