Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Again, fully recommend the "oh hey is this battle brothers" people to watch an hour of content or so over your lunch break or whatever.

It's not battle brothers. It's good, but its not what you're expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

rojay posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the 100% hit chance and I can't think of another game where that was how combat was resolved. I mean, chess, obviously, but how does that work as a practical matter in a game like this? You (and enemies, I presume?) hit everything you swing at, and then depending on their armor or other defensive measures they take damage?

That's how Chaos Gate : Daemonhunter works. Every attack hits, but range, armor and cover all reduce incoming damage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It helps that health refills automatically after battle, so you only need medicine for when someone took so much damage at once that they suffered an injury. And so long as you have guard and don't get flanked your armor will eat most the damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kobal2 posted:

That's how Chaos Gate : Daemonhunter works. Every attack hits, but range, armor and cover all reduce incoming damage.

Also Mechanicus.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
New player here: I get level scaling/specific level areas, but are the quests to take out bandits and the like story specific or are they generated quests I can keep doing forever?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They are generated. You won't run out of jobs on the board in the bar, thought you may run out of the ones you want until they respawn. Meanwhile regions have story missions tracked by a colored bar in the top left, and you do eventually resolve those.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Awesome to know. Thanks!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Do resources respawn ? Be they overworld pickables or farm spots like ore veins/lumber posts/fishing spots

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

They do. Near as I can tell things like ore deposits respawn after a two or so rests. I am not sure if it's based on a clock or actual rests but I found going back after one day or one rest usually was too soon.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Been playing this, have come with a warning. If you are in the swamp region, do NOT engage the big swarms of plague victims. They trigger an escape mission that seems to spawn just under your number of dudes per turn on the escape area. Killing 10 of them a turn is hella not viable especially since they all get front loaded on the turn order. It's a run ender of a fight.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There are definitely some fights that are, uh, not sensibly balanced.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Yeah, its especially frustrating because I have been clearing all the champions and arenas with my worst problem being one guy having to do a willpower survival check in the swamp arena, then I hit that random plaguebearer encounter and get swarmed by 30 of the drat things and slowly beaten to death. Only had something like 3 dudes survive out of my 12 man band.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The game really reaaaly wants you to be a klepto. 500300 gold for each skill upgrade book? Ya not paying that.

Stealing 5 spec books only puts me to 1.5-2.5 stars. Killing a merchant caravan + looting was about the same for me. For some reason actually taking loot from the dead merchants gave heat for each item?

ded fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 21, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It amuses me that stealing, say, a stack of rags from a caravan is enough heat to get you a full wanted level, but killing the merchant and everyone working for him probably will only get you halfway to a wanted star.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Holy balls. I had no idea you used pitons directly from your inventory. I thought you would get prompted when you needed to use them. Now I'm ziplining all over the place.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How do I stop being on fire?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

goatface posted:

How do I stop being on fire?

The first aid/treat wounds, whatever it's called skill can stop fires and poisons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is that the only way? The tooltip is rather "enigmatic".

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

When it says it goes away with "move and attack" what it means is an attack which moves you. So like hammer bros dash move or the two hander sword charge, things like that will get rid of fire. I think maybe the base kit reposition move counts for this but I haven't tested.

Edit: Also yes, the first aid skill, despite talking about healing dying people, is perfectly usable on alive and mostly fine people. It heals them and clears a bunch of negative statuses.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ok, that makes a sort of sense. I don't think you can first aid yourself though, can you?

I lost a team to bombers and DoT and am mildly annoyed that my trained killers couldn't put themselves out.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

First Aid can only be used on other allied targets. If you didn't start with it on one of your mercs, you can learn it from skill books purchased at Brotherhood Training Ground locations. There's 1 BTG in every region. The same NPC lets you respec your passive tree (not attributes/aptitude points) once you reach level 4 in the War path and can upgrade weapons with "Upgradeable" tags, which are usually the unique/legendary weapons from named champions.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 21, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ded posted:

Holy balls. I had no idea you used pitons directly from your inventory. I thought you would get prompted when you needed to use them. Now I'm ziplining all over the place.

Wait what?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Pitons are used as anchor points on the world map for traveling between heights/cliff faces. You can use them to create permanent shortcuts or access piton only routes. It's also a way to cross regional borders without a border pass or paying 200g each time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

goatface posted:

Ok, that makes a sort of sense. I don't think you can first aid yourself though, can you?

I lost a team to bombers and DoT and am mildly annoyed that my trained killers couldn't put themselves out.

Yeah, bombers are a priority target, my initial layout always takes getting them all engaged before they can act into account. Sprinting bears are great for that

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Gyoru posted:

Pitons are used as anchor points on the world map for traveling between heights/cliff faces. You can use them to create permanent shortcuts or access piton only routes. It's also a way to cross regional borders without a border pass or paying 200g each time.

This game needs to explain it's poo poo better.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gyoru posted:

You don't need to pay 200 each time, it's a one time fee.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's probably really obvious and I'm just overlooking it, but: Is there any place where I can see what weapons a given character can use? Or is each class limited to specifically only one weapon type?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Each class has one weapon type, and what they can use is to the left of their class name. I remember being very surprised when a Brute couldn't use a two handed axe, but axes are warrior only, for example.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tellaris posted:

When it says it goes away with "move and attack" what it means is an attack which moves you. So like hammer bros dash move or the two hander sword charge, things like that will get rid of fire. I think maybe the base kit reposition move counts for this but I haven't tested.

thats the opposite of what I was taught in boy scouts

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Swordsman: sword
Brute: mace
Warrior: axe
Spearman: spear
Ranger: dagger
Archer: bow

There are a few solid guides on steam like this general one:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882315862

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Each class has one weapon type, and what they can use is to the left of their class name. I remember being very surprised when a Brute couldn't use a two handed axe, but axes are warrior only, for example.

Oh huh, that explains it. I just kinda assumed that e.g. a destroyer would be able to use a one-handed axe instead of a mace or a berserker a two-handed sword instead of an axe. A bit weird, but I guess it's one way to keep the classes feeling more distinct.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It's kind of crap how in order to get over the hump from 6-8 you really need to get the training dummy so up to 2 whole people can get 120-150xp per rest. It's more xp than doing several fights and it's a real pain to try and remember to activate flag buffs.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ded posted:

The game really reaaaly wants you to be a klepto. 500300 gold for each skill upgrade book? Ya not paying that.

Stealing 5 spec books only puts me to 1.5-2.5 stars. Killing a merchant caravan + looting was about the same for me. For some reason actually taking loot from the dead merchants gave heat for each item?

Easy level contracts are netting me lile 245 base without negotiating, with negotiations I'm making like 430ish gold per contract fight, so im wracking up a poo poo ton of gold per 3 easy rear end fights, imo gold is really an issue if you are doing looooong travel.

Honestly the only issue I am encountering is going through stuff before the stores restock.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 22, 2023

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Just started the game and I'm playing region locked. Is it the case that enemy encounter size scales with your party size? I'd like to recruit more people just to have more professions covered but not sure if that makes fights larger/harder for me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

On region locked most enemy groups don't grow or at least grow much with your party size. I have 23 people and animals and Tiltren still caps at like 5 and will usually be more like 2 or 3.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Telsa Cola posted:

Easy level contracts are netting me lile 245 base without negotiating, with negotiations I'm making like 430ish gold per contract fight, so im wracking up a poo poo ton of gold per 3 easy rear end fights, imo gold is really an issue if you are doing looooong travel.

Honestly the only issue I am encountering is going through stuff before the stores restock.

each character needs 3 of those books by lvl 8. it adds up very fast esp when you have to buy so many other things as much as you can find, like the totally not gunpowder, salt, repair parts, base foods to make buff food, oh and money to open trade posts.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

marshmallow creep posted:

Technically two for the melee classes - Swordsmen, Brutes and Warriors get to choose between their specific 1H+ShieldORSomething or 2H, and Rangers get 1H+ORSomething(but no shield). Speamen and Archers only get the one choice.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What are your guys' thoughts on attribute allocation? I luckily got Career Plans early on so I've been able to at least force double rolls every level up. So far I've just been dumping points into Strength or Dexterity depending on the class, but I recently made my Swordsman into a Protector and he's been using more of his turtling abilities and defensive buffs. I'm thinking I should probably invest more into Constitution if he's not going to be attacking so often.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having real high movement is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

moot the hopple posted:

What are your guys' thoughts on attribute allocation? I luckily got Career Plans early on so I've been able to at least force double rolls every level up. So far I've just been dumping points into Strength or Dexterity depending on the class, but I recently made my Swordsman into a Protector and he's been using more of his turtling abilities and defensive buffs. I'm thinking I should probably invest more into Constitution if he's not going to be attacking so often.

I've been getting willpower to 15 and/or some movement with the first few levels, then dumping points into critical hits (or constitution for tanks) and it's been working well so far.

I'm not far in the game but from what I can gather from early access discussions str/dex investment isn't too important in the long run- you apparently get a ton from lategame weapons, enough so that the +2/level pales in comparison. No idea if that holds true in the "finished" game but I haven't invested in either and don't feel like I'm falling behind the damage curve at level 5.

Movement is really, really good to the point that I'm convinced it's the best pick for early levels and maybe it shouldn't be a thing you can raise on levelup at all. Not everyone needs +2 every level but being able to engage anyone on the field with your tanks as their first action is insanely good, anyone with an AoE weapon wants a bunch of movement to get into optimal position, rangers can pull off some nutty stuff with high movement range and the upgraded auto dagger throw passive that resets movement, etc. You probably don't need more than like 13-15 on anyone but it helps to level it a few times.

Getting Willpower to 15 lets a character cheat death and stay at 1 HP the first time they'd enter the Dying state each fight. It's useful but I don't know if it's "up to three levels worth of stat upgrades" useful if you're not playing Ironman. It also impacts the morale system by (I think?) lowering the number of enemies you need to kill to get the Galvanized buff but that seems like a "win more" investment- I've only ever triggered it when I'm about to win a fight anyways.

e: Career Plans also lets you upgrade any stat for 10 influence, not just ones the character rolled, and you can spend another 30 for the +2! The interface does not make this very clear imo

En Garde Motherfuckers fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 23, 2023