Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I did have my Ranger start off with the extra move trait and it does seem to make a noticeable difference so far, along with the additional movement she's getting from her armor. My early go to tactic has been to engage someone with my tank and then zip around with my Ranger to backstab the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

moot the hopple posted:

What are your guys' thoughts on attribute allocation? I luckily got Career Plans early on so I've been able to at least force double rolls every level up. So far I've just been dumping points into Strength or Dexterity depending on the class, but I recently made my Swordsman into a Protector and he's been using more of his turtling abilities and defensive buffs. I'm thinking I should probably invest more into Constitution if he's not going to be attacking so often.

15 Willpower (no more, no less) for everyone except spearmen and archers so they can survive a death blow, about 16 movement, then for STR guys everything into crit chance, for DEX guys everything into dex (which is both crit chance and damage).

Incidentally, the various professions (tinkerer, fisherman etc...) give big stat bonuses at high levels so you have to be a little careful who does what and try to spread that XP around if you have doubles.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

e: Career Plans also lets you upgrade any stat for 10 influence, not just ones the character rolled, and you can spend another 30 for the +2! The interface does not make this very clear imo

jesus loving christ

it does not make it look like you can buy twice. now all of my dudes need a full reroll and you can't do that. :rip:

edit : also it does not make it obvious you can put 2 oils on a weapon either but you can!

ded fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 23, 2023

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

ded posted:

jesus loving christ

it does not make it look like you can buy twice. now all of my dudes need a full reroll and you can't do that. :rip:

edit : also it does not make it obvious you can put 2 oils on a weapon either but you can!

Oh absolutely. I've been ensuring double + on their main damage stat every level. I have some ridiculous poo poo like an axe man able to one shot ranged enemies on the first turn.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I got way too cocky on my first rat infestation mission and trying to farm a nest before killing the brood mother. I managed to knock out one nest and finish the mission but with half my party infected with the plague. Had to reload a save and gun it straight for the mother to finish the fight early.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

moot the hopple posted:

I got way too cocky on my first rat infestation mission and trying to farm a nest before killing the brood mother. I managed to knock out one nest and finish the mission but with half my party infected with the plague. Had to reload a save and gun it straight for the mother to finish the fight early.

Nests are easy-ish, but you really have to gear up for them. 2H weapons for everyone who gets them, torches for scouts. An single archer with a firebow can set fire to all of the growths while you're squishing rats. Fire don't quit.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It seems very silly that the game doesn't show you specialization upgrades unless you 1) have a skill mastery book in your inventory and 2) have already invested in a skill in order to see its upgrade, meaning you have to invest in money and commit to a decision before you're presented with the full information. It's really not conducive to making informed choices on builds, even though I guess you can keep paying for respecs and skill books after the fact. For instance, I had to look up on the wiki that the seemingly lackluster ranger knife throwing specialization can be upgraded to refund movement points which is huge. I would have completely overlooked it if I relied on just the initial tool tip. I guess the argument can be made the devs wanted to prevent spoilers on unlocked specializations but those could have just been hidden until you unlocked them, rather than hiding everything.

I like the game so far but there have been some questionable design work on it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I wish there was an autobattle thing - a man can only kill so many identical underlevelled wolf/boar/bandit packs before it gets annoying.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just a few questions:

1: Is there a level cap?

2: Any suggestions on what careers I should start my first 4 companions out with?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Just a few questions:

1: Is there a level cap?

2: Any suggestions on what careers I should start my first 4 companions out with?

Jobs that I found useful early on:
1. Blacksmith: Basically my number 1 source for equipment upgrades early on, particularly in terms of armor
2. Tinkerer: Means you'll hardly ever run out of armor repair materials, and can also get you good camp/overworld equipment
3. Thief: Stealing is actually fairly low-risk, and there are a fair few locked chests that make lockpicking quite profitable
4. Cook: Significantly reduces your food troubles

A miner may also be a good choice to sub in for the cook if you want to go with a lot of medium/heavy armour classes, as those use up a whole lot of iron.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Perestroika posted:

Jobs that I found useful early on:
1. Blacksmith: Basically my number 1 source for equipment upgrades early on, particularly in terms of armor
2. Tinkerer: Means you'll hardly ever run out of armor repair materials, and can also get you good camp/overworld equipment
3. Thief: Stealing is actually fairly low-risk, and there are a fair few locked chests that make lockpicking quite profitable
4. Cook: Significantly reduces your food troubles

A miner may also be a good choice to sub in for the cook if you want to go with a lot of medium/heavy armour classes, as those use up a whole lot of iron.

All right, I'll go with this then! I'll just see if I can hire someone to do the Miner job. Thanks for the recs!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Stealing is actually extremely busted and you should do it constantly. Even running your suspicion level up to 5 or 6 generally only takes a couple hundred gold to make go away versus the several times as much in value you can steal. Stealing consumable items that you intend to use up ASAP is extra profitable because your fee for making your suspicion level go away is based on how many stolen goods you're currently holding - you can steal a ton of smithing mats or food, craft it all into finished product, and pay even less to make it go away.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 25, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do the guards even take you stolen poo poo when you pay your bounty?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also killing the merchants is way less suspicious than stealing their cider

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kill the merchants and the only thing suspicious about you is the blood on your clothes. "Oh that could be anyone's blood. I kill bandits all the time.". But if you leave any witnesses to your theft...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

Do the guards even take you stolen poo poo when you pay your bounty?

You can either pay a more expensive fine and keep the stolen poo poo, or you can hand over the stolen poo poo and pay a much cheaper fine. Consumable items are just efficient because if you use them/convert them into something else they don't count as stolen items anymore.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a recommended region progression route?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Every time I capture some outlaws, I go on a stealing spree that puts me just below a wanted star and then turn in the outlaws at the jail for some gold and 20 suspicion reduction for every prisoner (limited by the capacity of the jail which seems to require a day to pass before my slots open).

Apparently, enslaving refugees is even more lucrative but that's too hosed up for me and I killed the slaver on sight.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There are capture mechanics? drat, how do I get started on that racket? And if I capture someone, can I recruit them later? I want to kidnap some named bandits and Stockholm them into signing up!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You need chains for human prisoners or rope for animals, both of which can be bought at the prison (or crafted in the rope's case). In combat, you then get an enemy down to half health and engaged, then you use another unit with a primary action still available to try to capture them. Named leaders and quest characters can't be captured though.

Prisoners add to your weight capacity and can even perform profession jobs for you. You can get an opportunity to recruit them by increasing their happiness by treating their injuries, keeping them fed, etc. The downside is that some units from enemy factions have their own specialization tree that isn't as fleshed out or powerful as normal starting or tavern recruits. Another downside to keeping prisoners is that you have to spend food on them and they can make an escape attempt and your party can be injured sometimes. There are different camp features that play into this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

In the Vetruse region there are contracts to kill folks who are fighting slavers but not, near as I can tell, contracts to do the inverse. So I have been leaving those folks alone until I find a way to help them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Right then, I see! I don't think I'm quite that advanced yet (chronic restartitis, you understand), but I'll definitely keep an eye out for things. Any recommendations for which factions should I try and target? I'm not out of the starting region yet (again, chronic restartitis), but I'd like to 'convince' some slavers to join the right side of history once I find them.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Oh I guess this is relevant but the prison only lets you turn in prisoners of the Outlaw faction. You can see this by right clicking into their character sheet and the faction will be displayed underneath their name.

As far as recruiting prisoners, what I've seen so far of the outlaws/bandit faction units hasn't been that impressive. You can actually go into their character sheet and look up their specializations and it is literally 1 option per level as opposed to the specialization trees for normal tavern units. You can also recruit units that show up in prison who will have the standard classes like brute, swordsman, etc. but they also seem to be lower quality and have bad traits. If you're looking for early fodder, I'd just capture a boar or something and let it run amok without heed of longterm survivability.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nonstandard recruits in this game generally suck rear end and aren't worth the time. Bandit/outlaw recruits are just flatly worse tavern recruits and animals get horribly outscaled by gear. Basically the only animals that remain somewhat relevant are to a lesser extent alphas(50% crit carries them quite far but you need 3 of them for that and they are horribly fragile) and to a greater extent bears(who are absurdly tanky, but lacking on the damage front and also a logistical nightmare because 1 bear eats as much as 6 guys).

There are so many broken builds you can do on normal recruits that recruiting outside that paradigm isn't really worth the effort besides for memes.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Right now I have a party of 9: a two-hander and one-hander version each of the Brute, Swordsman, and Warrior, plus one Ranger, one Spearman, and one Archer. I think I'm going to stick with only 10 members for this first playthrough to cover all the professions as this amount of units to control feels just right to me.

I've been debating on what my class I want to double up on for my 10th member. I was considering going for a Beastmaster Archer for the gimmick of having a travelling zoo with each type of animal in the game, but the logistics and the added micro sound like a nightmare.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just had a nightmare disappear from the battlefield and then just kept repeatedly hitting my dudes.

I alt f4'd out but i'd have been pissed if i was ironman running.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pikeman spearmen and infantryman archers both become exponentially more powerful the more of them you have because you can layer their overwatch zones.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

Right now I have a party of 9: a two-hander and one-hander version each of the Brute, Swordsman, and Warrior, plus one Ranger, one Spearman, and one Archer. I think I'm going to stick with only 10 members for this first playthrough to cover all the professions as this amount of units to control feels just right to me.

I've been debating on what my class I want to double up on for my 10th member. I was considering going for a Beastmaster Archer for the gimmick of having a travelling zoo with each type of animal in the game, but the logistics and the added micro sound like a nightmare.

This sounds good, but each animal is definitely not created equal. It's worth mentioning that molerats that land kills feed themselves, and if you have a good cook bears can catch enough food to feed themselves and more if you spend time near water.

Because once you get going making money isn't nearly a problem I have more than two weeks of food cooked and ready to eat. Glad food doesn't spoil in this game unlike Battle Brothers!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Kanos posted:

Pikeman spearmen and infantryman archers both become exponentially more powerful the more of them you have because you can layer their overwatch zones.

Yeah I only have one overwatch archer and he never really gets to do much.

I unlocked halberdier and whatever the fourth ranger specialization is (assassin?) Where do you unlock the other specializations?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have one overwatch archer and first zone he did nothing. Second zone he puts out more damage than everyone else purely because nobody dies in one set of moves.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Overwatches are also enormously busted in concert with any form of repositioning or knockbacks, because being knocked back while in an overwatch triggers the overwatch.

Spearmen and rogues can abuse this to a horrifying extent.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So that is what the knockback bombs are for.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone tried the co-op? What's it like?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Jumping back in after not playing since early access launch. Seems like they have fleshed the game out pretty well. I can feel myself inching closer and closer to just maxing out the animation speed and sliding through stuff. The game really should have an auto resolve for parties of enemies two levels or more lower than you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Had to put this down after seeing how badly rewards and XP scale with harder fights going into the second area. This is going to be an unbelievable grind going into higher levels; had to go back to Tiltren to grind easy bounties for money to keep up with repairs until I got the massive amount if materials needed to get gear up to speed.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 26, 2023

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Which area progression mode were you playing on? My first go. I played on scaling, this time around linear. . You definitely don't get enough experience fighting lower level guys to make progress. Would be nice if it was more clear if increasing my party size increased the size of enemy parties too because that does seem to be happening. I remember one of the things that burned me on my first go of the game was having too many guys in my own party and just generally everything taking too long

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Which area progression mode were you playing on? My first go. I played on scaling, this time around linear. . You definitely don't get enough experience fighting lower level guys to make progress. Would be nice if it was more clear if increasing my party size increased the size of enemy parties too because that does seem to be happening. I remember one of the things that burned me on my first go of the game was having too many guys in my own party and just generally everything taking too long

Region locked.

The current level of XP needed to level up is around 3k right now. A current level fight against like 18 dudes gives each of my guys around 60 XP. So 50 fights, taking around 15 to 20 minutes each with high risk of death and large repair and healing costs, not counting the time and expense of gearing up to be able to handle these fights.

I went back to Tiltren and pulled a contract to kill 3 level 1 thugs, and each member got 40 XP. Took a minute flat.

The scaling is a pretty widely known issue. I'm super not into fighting 50 difficult battles without screwing up to level a guy. People are even getting to new areas, recruiting a Quest NPC, then firing their entire party to recruit new people at the NPC's level because of how long the grind is.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Dang I am just learning now that you can tilt and pan your camera when you're in a location and not just when you're on the overworld map. It makes finding hidden interactables a little easier but I would've liked to have known this during my first region :negative:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I have a friend doing scaling difficulty who has intentionally spent 40 hours in Tiltren without finishing the quest line and I’m worried about his mental faculties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Word of warning. Don't use "repair all" after a fight. It will burn repair parts like mad. Instead of allocating points across all the damaged units it will use 1 repair part even if someone only has 1 damage on their armor, it does the 'repair all' on a per unit basis. If you have 4 dudes with 5 damage each it will use 4 repair parts instead of just 1.

Do manual repairs after fights. It's a dumb micromanagement pain in the rear end but it will save you a crapload of trips to buy more repair parts.