Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Drakenel posted:

Well, I came in from battle brothers too. It's a little weird seeing full 3d characters move about. The combat system works a little similar to games like Divinity 2, honestly in that you have so far you can move, and your attack action is by itself so you don't need to worry about having enough AP to swing. (Though you can throw together level up skills and certain weapon combos to take a ridiculous amount of actions in one turn.) Each time its your turn, you can pick any of your units to move, regardless of where they are. Though the enemy has a set order so you can plan around it.

Difficulty wise, its fairly adjustable. But some things (like optional boss enemies) are a bit ridiculous. Expect to lose people to some BS you weren't prepared for, like usual. The game leans more into a narrative for each region, some crisis or another happening and you can ostensibly pick sides in it to 'resolve' the region. The map is fixed, so the same things will be hiding in the same places each run. The game tries to give more a variety of things to do, though they're ultimately minor 'click here to get stuff' variations.

Overall I think it stands alright on its own. Not a bad game by any means and if you've the patience for bullshit on the level of Battle Brothers, I think you'll be ok with Wartales. As for content, there's a good... 10-15 hours maybe? There's at least 5 regions that take a while on each to find everything and they are adding more as they go.

Been meaning to check this out, since I love Battle Brothers. Would love to hear from people who've played the actual release version. Is it still as much trouble keeping your people fed and paid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

PosSibley posted:

There are some major differences from Battle Brothers and this game. When it is your turn you use one of your characters that hasn't acted yet, and when you attack you have 100% hit chance. So Wartales will feel more puzzley than BB.

dogstile posted:

I wouldn't really say this scratches a battle brothers itch at all, the only real similarity is that you control a party of mercs. The movement is different, the combat is weird (i don't really like how each battle starts) and everything hits, but it does take its own identity, which is cool.

It seems far more story based, its just an "open" story. You can play it open world but it just doesn't seem to have the writing BB has. It's still fun, but its different.

I'd say watch someone play some first before you dive in expecting battle brothers in 3d.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 100% hit chance and I can't think of another game where that was how combat was resolved. I mean, chess, obviously, but how does that work as a practical matter in a game like this? You (and enemies, I presume?) hit everything you swing at, and then depending on their armor or other defensive measures they take damage? Do you do the same damage with the same weapon every time after armor/etc. are factored in?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing necessarily, just sort of strange to me.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

PosSibley posted:

Into the Breach

Nice explanation from Gyoru

Spectacular explanation from Gyoru!