Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have two bears, a wolf and a mile rat. One of the bears has a perk that generates more happiness if you use him as a pillow during rests.

I keep unlocking titles but don't see them anywhere in game or if they do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

sure okay posted:

I read online that the game tries to match enemy numbers to yours, even in the region-locked difficulty, and so making your party bigger doesn't actually make you stronger it just thins your quest rewards out across more members while the game ramps up difficulty to match you.

It's a reason not to make your horse a battle-horse. Horses don't count for combat party sizes, unless you bring them into battle, and then the AI counts it against you. So when you spec your horse into being (charitably) half an extra unit, the game will pit a whole extra enemy against it.

Also it makes battles crazy long. Reddit was talking about 25+ member battles taking forever. Not the best design, IMO.

I'd also recommend against Ironman. In my first foray I was doing well until I came across an (even-leveled) elite that just one-shot my whole party with his multi-attack BS. The pre-battle screen is an incredibly poor indicator of your opponent's relative strength. An unwinnable battle you don't know is unwinnable until you're already in it.

From my experience (on novice because I wanted to have a fun time and the game is complicated enough that there is plenty to do even at that difficulty and it makes the game much faster besides) with a band of 23 hovering between levels 4 and 8 as I have grabbed them, Region Locked keeps enemy numbers nearly fixed for everything but guard patrols. I rolled in to region locked Tiltren after finishing the western temple and I got jumped by a very ambitious pair of bandits who died in one hit to my heroic purple greataxe cleave because they were still level one and grouped close enough together for one swing to get them both. But I took a nap while wanted for stealing some apples to feed my molerat and the guard patrol rocked up 19 deep with level 7s and two party wide buffs that meant engaging with them generated multiple counter attacks with escalating damage and defense buffs. But most of the time on region locked difficulty adding a new recruit increases your action economy even if you never use them to fight, because their being there gives you more opportunities to user your better units sooner rather than later. It makes hiring people into a difficulty slider that trades food and money for easier fights.

When I played the EA before region locked (so the normal scaling difficulty), every time I hired someone so I could cover another skill the enemies expanded their ranks so as to outnumber me by two more, and even just in Tiltren, the baby area where enemies don't have fancy party wide buffs, it made engagements take much longer. It also meant that fights always felt like each was harder than the last and contributed to a feeling of making negative progress and I was taking bigger jobs and bigger risks just to tread water, which was not the chill vibe I was looking for at the time.

I have three battle ponies who can spam Inspiration buffs and double everyone's movement rate. Which is so useful on the large maps.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 17, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have a Bowman with the animal control perk so I can control my animals like normal units. Controllable bears and horses are great.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It helps that health refills automatically after battle, so you only need medicine for when someone took so much damage at once that they suffered an injury. And so long as you have guard and don't get flanked your armor will eat most the damage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

They are generated. You won't run out of jobs on the board in the bar, thought you may run out of the ones you want until they respawn. Meanwhile regions have story missions tracked by a colored bar in the top left, and you do eventually resolve those.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

They do. Near as I can tell things like ore deposits respawn after a two or so rests. I am not sure if it's based on a clock or actual rests but I found going back after one day or one rest usually was too soon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There are definitely some fights that are, uh, not sensibly balanced.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It amuses me that stealing, say, a stack of rags from a caravan is enough heat to get you a full wanted level, but killing the merchant and everyone working for him probably will only get you halfway to a wanted star.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Each class has one weapon type, and what they can use is to the left of their class name. I remember being very surprised when a Brute couldn't use a two handed axe, but axes are warrior only, for example.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

On region locked most enemy groups don't grow or at least grow much with your party size. I have 23 people and animals and Tiltren still caps at like 5 and will usually be more like 2 or 3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Do the guards even take you stolen poo poo when you pay your bounty?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Kill the merchants and the only thing suspicious about you is the blood on your clothes. "Oh that could be anyone's blood. I kill bandits all the time.". But if you leave any witnesses to your theft...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

In the Vetruse region there are contracts to kill folks who are fighting slavers but not, near as I can tell, contracts to do the inverse. So I have been leaving those folks alone until I find a way to help them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

Right now I have a party of 9: a two-hander and one-hander version each of the Brute, Swordsman, and Warrior, plus one Ranger, one Spearman, and one Archer. I think I'm going to stick with only 10 members for this first playthrough to cover all the professions as this amount of units to control feels just right to me.

I've been debating on what my class I want to double up on for my 10th member. I was considering going for a Beastmaster Archer for the gimmick of having a travelling zoo with each type of animal in the game, but the logistics and the added micro sound like a nightmare.

This sounds good, but each animal is definitely not created equal. It's worth mentioning that molerats that land kills feed themselves, and if you have a good cook bears can catch enough food to feed themselves and more if you spend time near water.

Because once you get going making money isn't nearly a problem I have more than two weeks of food cooked and ready to eat. Glad food doesn't spoil in this game unlike Battle Brothers!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Kanos posted:

Pikeman spearmen and infantryman archers both become exponentially more powerful the more of them you have because you can layer their overwatch zones.

Yeah I only have one overwatch archer and he never really gets to do much.

I unlocked halberdier and whatever the fourth ranger specialization is (assassin?) Where do you unlock the other specializations?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So that is what the knockback bombs are for.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah that Vanguard move puts in work.

Executioner and challenging shout with it's upgrade is a great crowd shredder. Run into a group, shout and drag everyone into close range and make them fragile so the executioner whirlwind has more targets and is more likely to get extra procs from killing targets.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

Another tip is that you can upgrade those purple colored weapons you find from tombs at those brotherhood training grounds. Wish I had known that before selling my first two because their stats were worse than the gear I had crafted!

Honestly, after playing through two regions, I'm kind of cooling off on the game. It's fun if a bit repetitive, but the design and balance isn't as tight and well-crafted as something like Battle Brothers and the story elements of what I've seen so far are pretty weak.

Yeah I 100% get this feeling. I find that it's a fun game for when I want to just practice my mercenary grind set of running from one corner of creation to another doing odd jobs to stay solvent, but when it comes to some of the later fights in particular things get big and unwieldy but not necessarily fun at the same time.