Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Was watching some videos about North Korea and I get that there are worse places to be born in the world but it just seems so loving soul crushing over there. Anyone ever meet a north korea defector? Have you ever been to North Korea?

i used the europe tag cause there is no asia one and i thought it was funny ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Im chillin in North Korea right now

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Someone called Otto Warmbier went to North Korea, stole a sign, got arrested, and died in a labor camp

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Jeseus, it's more hosed up than before then.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Think I found the problem.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I want a big tiddy juche girlfriend

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I mean maybe but also Yeonmi Park is a right wing grifter who's full of poo poo

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Icochet posted:

hell yeah

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/1537107616127717378

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

EorayMel posted:

Someone called Otto Warmbier went to North Korea, stole a sign, got arrested, and died in a labor camp

warm beer lol

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Icochet posted:

I think you'll like her, her name is Kim. How do you feel about short kinda masculine haircuts?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Skeleton Ape posted:

I think you'll like her, her name is Kim. How do you feel about short kinda masculine haircuts?

All kinds of daddy issues and probably grandaddy issues. Too risky

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's real bad op. I think the worse thing than being born in north korea would be to be born in a north korean prison camp, which is apparently a thing that happens. Guess your crime was so bad all your descendants gotta do time too

Although the concept of a medieval monarchy getting access to modern technology is interesting from an alternate history viewpoint.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I have it on good authority that North Korea is cool and good. Trust me as a person on the internet.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mooey Cow posted:

It's real bad op. I think the worse thing than being born in north korea would be to be born in a north korean prison camp, which is apparently a thing that happens. Guess your crime was so bad all your descendants gotta do time too

Although the concept of a medieval monarchy getting access to modern technology is interesting from an alternate history viewpoint.

Yeah, they do a 3 generation purge of anyone who screws up too badly. Mind that "screws up too badly" could be your neighbor reporting that you cut through a photo of Kim Jong in the newspaper or weren't respecting the mandatory photo of him everyone has in their house.

Nothing to Envy is a great collection of defector accounts.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
North Korea hosed up?

hosed up if true.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Mickey socks really sell it imo

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I like how Dennis Rodman went to North Korea. I like everything Dennis Rodman has ever done.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Big Scary Owl posted:

It looks like there’s a second, shorter pair of socks with a Peanut Butter Jelly Time theme, too.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Kim Yo Jong is kind of cute, I have a thing for fiveheads

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

What about South Korea? Their noodles are too drat spicy.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Szyznyk posted:

What about South Korea? Their noodles are too drat spicy.

South Korea is literally ruled by megacorps. Doesn't matter if you're in the north or the south, you going to starve to death either way.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You should check out the United States OP

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Big Scary Owl posted:

Was watching some videos about North Korea and I get that there are worse places to be born in the world but it just seems so loving soul crushing over there. Anyone ever meet a north korea defector? Have you ever been to North Korea?

i used the europe tag cause there is no asia one and i thought it was funny ok

I have met some North Koreans and know people who have spent significant time there. I’ve seen North Korea but haven’t been there for obvious reasons.

I’ll answer any questions that don’t carry a risk of doxing anyone.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Old One posted:

I have met some North Koreans and know people who have spent significant time there. I’ve seen North Korea but haven’t been there for obvious reasons.

What are their favorite pizza toppings?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

Does the average citizen have any opportunity for joy or happiness? Is it all fear and stress all the time?

How close are people in their neighborhoods and communities? Seems like it wouldn't be easy to have good relationships with your neighbors if you're worried about them ratting you out for minor infractions.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

drat kim jong has always had hosed up hair

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Big Scary Owl posted:

Tankies would look at that pic, see the mickey mouse socks and scream "NOT COMMUNIST ENOUGH!".

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I hope they're not getting too hosed by covid.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

dunno looks like a good time to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwoSFQb5HVk

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

North Korea is probably really nice, but they're just shy and all cooped up over there.
Has anyone thought of that? Maybe just tried hanging out with them more and getting to know them?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tkXgw2OMY&t=4s

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Im chillin in the DMZ pullin mah pud

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there was a pro-dprk korean twitter (in English) that I watched for interesting perspectives, but I just went to check it and it's private now

keep in mind that anything you read about the DPRK that is sourced from the following sources is propaganda/sensational trash:

- Radio Free Asia (US state department outfit, exists to advance US policy and not to be truthful)
- Chosun Ilbo (conservative ROK news outfit, all the rumors fit to print)
- DIMPLE channel on YouTube (idk exactly who runs it, but it seems to exist to recruit spies for the US military)
- Daily Mail (duh)
- BBC has also had a racist hate boner for the DPRK for 20 years where they send in mediocre reporters to sling innuendos that everything is "fake." In 2016 officials finally had enough and detained a guy until he apologized. Long time coming imo.

Please, if you find yourself on a pity trip for North Koreans, where they literally evoke no other emotion in you, try to move away from that because it's kind of demeaning.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 3, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Gazpacho posted:

there was a pro-dprk korean twitter (in English) that I watched for interesting perspectives, but I just went to check it and it's private now

keep in mind that anything you read about the DPRK that is sourced from the following sources is propaganda/sensational trash:

- Radio Free Asia (US state department outfit, exists to advance US policy and not to be truthful)
- Chosun Ilbo (conservative ROK news outfit, all the rumors fit to print)
- DIMPLE channel on YouTube (idk exactly who runs it, but it seems to exist to recruit spies for the US military)
- Daily Mail (duh)
- BBC has also had a racist hate boner for the DPRK for 20 years where they send in mediocre reporters to sling innuendos that everything is "fake." In 2016 officials finally had enough and detained a guy until he apologized. Long time coming imo.

Please, if you find yourself on a pity trip for North Koreans, where they literally evoke no other emotion in you, try to move away from that because it's kind of demeaning.

glad to see the opposing view on 'north korea is a bad place'

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember reading a take on these forums years ago that "defector stories were greatly exaggerated." How the goon knew this was unclear.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

nothing to envy is a really good book which is basically just a series of defector stories from the 90's - 00's that gives you a sense of what 'the deal' is if you actually live there. like, not everybody is indoctrinated but they know how to act/cover up, people fall in love and have some good times, they break the rules and sneak over to china to buy things/work then come back, and all that kind of stuff. people find ways to survive and have a modicum of happiness where they can.

some stories stick out in my mind like how some people will get TVs that just have stickers on them to prevent them from changing the channel to get south korean TV. the TVs get inspected every so often and if it's detected you've been tampering with the sticker, bye bye. some people do it anyway and manage to go undetected. just interesting how the control here is so low tech. i mean it makes sense - they wouldn't be manufacturing their own TVs.

then other stuff about how when kim il sung died, everybody was expected to go out and show their grief, and it became a sort of contest. little kids would go up and basically put on performances of flailing around in agony, adults would end up getting swept up even if internally they weren't feeling anything before the event.

i hope there's another book sometime with a more up to date picture of what the deal is now.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Das Boo posted:

I remember reading a take on these forums years ago that "defector stories were greatly exaggerated." How the goon knew this was unclear.
the documentary "Loyal Citizens of Pyongyang in Seoul" (made by a Korean-American communist) explains how defector narratives are chosen for political ends.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 3, 2022