Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
It's hosed up, true, but that's the price you pay if you want unicorns in your country: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2012/nov/30/unicorn-lair-discovered-north-korea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I blame north korea for the time I thought I was buying beef ribs at costco, and it ended up being that thinly sliced stuff.

:argh:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

- BBC has also had a racist hate boner for the DPRK for 20 years where they send in mediocre reporters to sling innuendos that everything is "fake." In 2016 officials finally had enough and detained a guy until he apologized. Long time coming imo.

Yeah if a reporter says something you don't like, just lock em up until they make a public confession! Go DPRK! :ussr:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Nothing hurt but his pride. Maybe he should have tried doing good journalism & not being an orientalist jerk

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 3, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Bracing for a flood of C-SPAM posters unironically declaring that NK is actually cool and good and it'd be a really nice place to move to.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
member that time the kid stole a poster from north korea cause he was tryna get some pussy and then they caught him trying to steal the poster and beat him braindead in a gulag and then shipped him back like 2 days before he died and were all like "uuuhhh he was like that when we got here" lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

SamDabbers posted:

Does the average citizen have any opportunity for joy or happiness? Is it all fear and stress all the time?

How close are people in their neighborhoods and communities? Seems like it wouldn't be easy to have good relationships with your neighbors if you're worried about them ratting you out for minor infractions.

I don’t know if I saw average citizens. I saw normal factory workers, and entertainers. All these people seemed like they had relatively comfortable lives. The factory workers were short meaning food might not have always been available but they were cute and very cheerful, doing some group site seeing in China and it seemed to be sponsored by their employer. You have to remember that these girls were only normal up to the point that they were allowed to leave the country which itself isn’t normal.

The entertainers were at a restaurant and despite being very sharp and professional at least one of them noticeably frowned when she saw me and realized I was American. I am told these girls are from some of the best arts programs in North Korea. They seemed reasonably happy but I don’t think they represent normal Koreans.

I saw farm workers through the fence and they looked pretty miserable but people tending fields usually do.

I should also mention this is before things got as sour as they are now.

As for neighbors I don’t know. Nobody ever talked to me about that stuff and the people I’ve met may not have even had that sort of social access to normal people.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 2, 2022

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nooner posted:

member that time the kid stole a poster from north korea cause he was tryna get some pussy and then they caught him trying to steal the poster and beat him braindead in a gulag and then shipped him back like 2 days before he died and were all like "uuuhhh he was like that when we got here" lol

His hometown didn't think it was nearly as funny as I did.

Also his last name was warmbeer or something said like that. Extremely funny circumstances.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Bracing for a flood of C-SPAM posters unironically declaring that NK is actually cool and good and it'd be a really nice place to move to.

Does a huge dnd post/thread about anti-imperialism count?

R. Guyovich posted:

Now we're delving into more aggressive opponents of American imperialism, and consequently getting into countries more heavily propagandized against. As I said, there are other places to talk about the DPRK government and how unreliable our reporting is about this country. It throws suspicion on everything we hear. No matter your opinion, the DPRK suffered unimaginable loss during the Korean War, with a full third of the population killed and the city of Pyongyang leveled by the fighting. With that bloody history fresh on the mind, and with the United States military playing war games and undergoing nuclear tests on its border, does it come as a surprise the DPRK would emphasize its military as a means of self-defense? The people of Korea know very well what American invasion and occupation is like. And, to most Westerners' surprise, it's not just the north that wants the US out. The "Sunshine Policy" of the late '90s and early '00s was making great strides toward a friendlier relationship between the DPRK and the Republic of Korea. But the Bush administration's "Axis of Evil" saber rattling put a stop to that. With American troop movement interfering with peace and reunification, the ROK has its own share of anti-imperialists, despite the prevailing opinion of Americans who've never visited. Therefore the ROK could be included as an "honorary member" of the anti-imperialist bloc, if a government similar to Kim Dae-Sung's ever made its way back into power.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Do people live in the DMZ? Mesokoreans? I'd imagine women can live in no-man's land no problem.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
At least it's not canada

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
When are they going to host an Olympic games?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Icochet posted:

What are their favorite pizza toppings?

Not sure but I doubt most North Koreans get a chance to eat much pizza.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I remember some documentary where the police would kill the power to a building and then go room-by-room checking VCRs for western films and such.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

every now and then i remember that homex moved to the PRC to be a token white guy at a chinese corporation after that whole vice gig in brooklyn didn't fall through and that he had his luxury car shipped across the pacific to the PRC and have a hearty lol

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Old One posted:

Not sure but I doubt most North Koreans get a chance to eat much pizza.

Haven't they been receiving foreign food aid for ages? Have we been sending just flour and poo poo? Let's make next month's delivery special.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And not pizzas of our choosing. Send in commandos to take orders

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does North Korea have it's own version of KPOP that's even more super depressing and sad?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

sigher posted:

Does North Korea have it's own version of KPOP that's even more super depressing and sad?
It has the Moranbong band and the Samjiyon orchestra, which have clear influences from "pop idol" culture

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 3, 2022

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
idk someone told me it was based im inclined to believe them

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Ape Fist posted:

idk someone told me it was based im inclined to believe them

Doesn't that just mean they are super racist? Which i guess checks out

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

EorayMel posted:

Someone called Otto Warmbier went to North Korea, stole a sign, got arrested, and died in a labor camp
Extremely goony way to go out.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Really

Some cspam broke brain goon is going to post

Well AKTSHULLY

about North Korea?

The US being an absolute evil empire does not mean other places aren't turbofucked worse for the vast majority of its citizens

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

That dude I replied to already is. It's apparently good to have a state intimidating journalists at will with their well documented system of kidnap and torture, as long as they don't actually torture them and just let them go after a lil scare and gunpoint confession.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

EorayMel posted:

Someone called Otto Warmbier went to North Korea, stole a sign, got arrested, and died in a labor camp

ya I dunno if 'died in a labor camp' fits the description of his death so much as 'beat into terminal coma after torture sessions' does.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Spinz posted:

The US being an absolute evil empire does not mean other places aren't turbofucked worse for the vast majority of its citizens

You see broke brains who emotionally connect to the idea of resistance narrative that they see things in black and white and things that disrupt that narrative is emotionally painful. Just look at the tankies who are defending Russia.

North Korea has been abused by the United States and western nations. But we're not the ones forcing a totalitarian dictatorship hellscape on them. South Korea is fairly independent and a powerful regional state at this point. The Kim family and their enablers are doing that all themselves.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Went to a conference where a North Korean defector talked about life in NK, his detention as a political prisoner in one of those work camps they have, his escape and his life after NK. It was really hosed up

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Archer666 posted:

Went to a conference where a North Korean defector talked about life in NK, his detention as a political prisoner in one of those work camps they have, his escape and his life after NK. It was really hosed up

Could you give some anecdotes?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
rip to the greatest golf player that ever lived

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Mooey Cow posted:

*nods slowly*

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Magic Johnson

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Could you give some anecdotes?

It was like 7 years ago so not a whole lot of stuck unfortunately. When he was staying at a camp he saw naked, severly malnourished children roaming the court yard as people are forced to do backbreaking manual labour until they pass out, and then they're just taken off to the side and beaten severely. Those kids were born in the camps but had no (identifiable) parents or names. Also the guards treating the prisoners as subhuman, raping and torturing the prisoners whenever they felt like it. I don't recall but the guy stayed there temporary before getting released, but the experience had convinced him that he had to escape. Until then he didn't really feel that there was anything wrong, he had some low level government job but he was surviving well enough.

Not certain if he talked about this or my brains reaching for articles I read about this, but I think he said that people there aren't really aware of the really heinous poo poo like those camps or know just how hosed up their country is in general. They know that NK is different, but aside from that vague feeling and the occasional news that comes from South Korean leaflets and pirate transmissions, they're just ordinary people living their life in a very un-ordinary country.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

This is the thread that reminds me that whenever someone demands anti-imperialist action it is really a bitch session against American hegemony.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Kim Yo Jong is kind of cute, I have a thing for fiveheads

Username checks out, enjoy your juche thot.

Mooey Cow posted:

Amazingly so, which explains why a certain segment of the online right feels a kinship.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Budzilla posted:

This is the thread that reminds me that whenever someone demands anti-imperialist action it is really a bitch session against American hegemony.

It reminded me that D&D is serving as the containment zone it was always meant to be. :3:

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Yeah its p messed up, but its gonna be funny if it outlasts the us of a.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Beard Dandruff posted:

Yeah its p messed up, but its gonna be funny if it outlasts the us of a.

it will lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Like hosed up in a good way 'hosed up' or hosed up like they wouldn't bring you extra towels after 3pm when you called the desk 'hosed up'?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

the documentary "Loyal Citizens of Pyongyang in Seoul" (made by a Korean-American communist) explains how defector narratives are chosen for political ends.

Gazpacho posted:

Nothing hurt but his pride. Maybe he should have tried doing good journalism & not being an orientalist jerk

gently caress off, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I saw this the one time I looked at CSPAM. God they loving suck, like LF but not even trying to be funny. Somebody posted pictures of people in Pyongyang having a good time during a public holiday of some kind, and people used this as proof that North Korea is a functioning and not at all totalitarian society and anything that says otherwise is Yankee propaganda.