Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

u say north korea is bad but wHat AbOuT aMeRiCa

you've posted this reworded about 10 times itt, we get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

MLSM posted:

Correct, which is why he consistently downplayed the ‘personality cult’ around him

:lol:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

EorayMel posted:

More like Deer Leader

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

eleven extra elephants posted:

No you don't. No you don't you fatuous nincompoop. You bourgeois scum. You colonialist oppressor piece of poo poo. Here and now in this very thread I will be the one to expose the deep heart of corruption of the United States through brazen lazy shitposting in defense of North Korea.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016
Does anyone know why the PRC has achieved international superpower status but hasn’t really stepped forth to recapitalize the DPRK? CCP revisionism? They see an impoverished and isolated state south of the Yalu and north of the 38th parallel as useful buffer?

Other posters have complained about US/NATO (let’s stipulate they operate as a bloc even though Canadians can get tourist visas to the DPRK) stifling of the North Korean economy because of the technical state of active war. Just so, why hasn’t China stepped forth to relieve the plight of its brotherly nation? Is it cowed by fears in Beijing that Washington would see it doing more for the innocent North Korean people than deporting escapees and escalate the situation by conducting 2 Foal, 2 Eagle exercises?

Can anygoon (sorry if this is a slur in the noble language of those descended from Mt. Paektu) provide some scintilla of insight as to why the powerful and communist People’s Republic of China is not doing more for its also communist ally, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

China doesn't loving like DPRK either, but they are fine with maintaining a status-quo as-is because the other option is the aforementioned largest refugee crisis in human history

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

No you don't. No you don't you fatuous nincompoop. You bourgeois scum. You colonialist oppressor piece of poo poo. Here and now in this very thread I will be the one to expose the deep heart of corruption of the United States through brazen lazy shitposting in defense of North Korea.

I'm convinced now, what about amerikkka and why not Glorious Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea. You really made me think.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MrQwerty posted:

China doesn't loving like DPRK either, but they are fine with maintaining a status-quo as-is because the other option is the aforementioned largest refugee crisis in human history

It's this. Unfortunately, DPRK is going to be a massive financial burden to anyone who takes it on. It offered very little in terms of natural or human resources in the 80's, let alone now.

There's absolutely no good solution for this, and it's gently caress awful.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Das Boo posted:

It's this. Unfortunately, DPRK is going to be a massive financial burden to anyone who takes it on. It offered very little in terms of natural or human resources in the 80's, let alone now.

There's absolutely no good solution for this, and it's gently caress awful.

Yeah. It's one of those things where it's like, yeah, actually, China is loving pissed that they are downwind of an actively-used foreign nuclear test site and would really like to do something about that...

except nobody can because there is no tenable solution to the problem, at all, for anyone, except maintaining the status-quo.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

amazing thread thank you op for this most glorious of honey pots

i figured it was dead days ago but wow you got a big fish real late and i'm having a good time

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

waydownLo posted:

Can anygoon (sorry if this is a slur in the noble language of those descended from Mt. Paektu) provide some scintilla of insight as to why the powerful and communist People’s Republic of China is not doing more for its also communist ally, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea?

Sheer jealousy at the harmony and strength of character that Juche brings.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Congrats, North Korea! You manage to hurt China by existing!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Well China sent a train in with aid and North Korea basically said “thank for the train” and kept it with everything on it

Volvo was dumb enough to send them new cars thinking they’d ever get paid for them

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I didn't know about either of those stories, but goddamn, RIP.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
mods can this be the kambucha thread??

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Herstory Begins Now posted:

No we don't need posters coming in to defend the Democratic Kampuchea on to of everything else

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Whatabout earl grey??? Ever think of that

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Wasn't Bush administration at least considering invading North Korea in the days of "Axis of Evil"?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Fish of hemp posted:

Wasn't Bush administration at least considering invading North Korea in the days of "Axis of Evil"?

Probably, story I always heard is Seoul would be completely destroyed immediately if that was to happen.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

waydownLo posted:

Does anyone know why the PRC has achieved international superpower status but hasn’t really stepped forth to recapitalize the DPRK? CCP revisionism? They see an impoverished and isolated state south of the Yalu and north of the 38th parallel as useful buffer?

Other posters have complained about US/NATO (let’s stipulate they operate as a bloc even though Canadians can get tourist visas to the DPRK) stifling of the North Korean economy because of the technical state of active war. Just so, why hasn’t China stepped forth to relieve the plight of its brotherly nation? Is it cowed by fears in Beijing that Washington would see it doing more for the innocent North Korean people than deporting escapees and escalate the situation by conducting 2 Foal, 2 Eagle exercises?

At a minimum, it would take at least a trillion dollars to bring the DPRK up to modern levels, and that includes infrastructure, modern agricultural practices so the populace can stop starving, deprogramming, and a whole bunch of poo poo that no country can afford and no country will pay out.

Beyond that, as mentioned before, the refugee crisis from a collapsed state will be one of the most daunting in human history. China has no love for the North Korean people, and they're not going to want to take people who are fleeing. They know the country's used for transiting out of North Korea, and they're generally fine to look the other way if the people don't stay too long.

Finally, the most important part of this is what you said originally. China will not accept ever having the United States or an ally on its border. Remember, one of the original reasons that China got involved in the Korean war was that the North Korean army was getting its rear end kicked to the Yalu and China was alarmed at the prospect of the US/UN on its border. North Korea serves an important purpose for both sides, frankly.

Geopolitics is such a weird thing

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

eleven extra elephants posted:

what about Armenia?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Fish of hemp posted:

He actually bumbled around with the issue of noncompliance with the Clinton era SK/Japan/US nuclear agreement, threw them a bunch of concessions in the form of giving them promised stuff before they met the agreed upon conditions to get it, got absolutely nothing in return, then gave up and ignored them.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Fish of hemp posted:

Nah, it was just typical republican posturing at the time. Unlike Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, and Syria, North Korea is a nuclear power. You’d be a fool not to get a nuclear weapon as deterrence against NATO imperialism; just look at the demise of so many countries over the last twenty years due to the Great Satan.

I mean ffs Libya literally has slave markets now! :abuela:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
For anyone curious about North Korea I can recommend a few books:

Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader by Bradley Martin. Explains the history of North Korea and their motivations in an engaging way.

Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty https://a.co/d/0tU7YrO

Aquariums of Pyongyang by Chol-hwan Kang. His memoir of growing up in a labor camp after his family got in trouble with the regime

By Chol-hwan Kang - The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag https://a.co/d/fEFz6jk

Pyongyang by Guy Delisle. His graphic novel of his experience working as an animator for a North Korean film studio. Charming at times

Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea https://a.co/d/fBnfIKr

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick is excellent too

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea https://a.co/d/4eH3Qad

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 18, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MLSM posted:

Nah, it was just typical republican posturing at the time. Unlike Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, and Syria, North Korea is a nuclear power. You’d be a fool not to get a nuclear weapon as deterrence against NATO imperialism; just look at the demise of so many countries over the last twenty years due to the Great Satan.

I mean ffs Libya literally has slave markets now! :abuela:

Oh goody, you're back

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Is there a single tankie who actually knows what the definition of imperialism is?

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hey guys, my bud KJ (that's Kim Jong, he lets me call him that) said over Discord to invite all of you for a smoke sesh and discussions about how all the Imperialists can suck it.

Oh! Also, he's got Netflix and said we could watch The Last Dance on the side of the Ryugyong Hotel's wall, like projected big as gently caress like an IMAX viewing (he's using a basic projector, not a real IMAX thing fyi).

Also said he found some of his dad's old Hennessy bottles, and said he built a giant slingshot so we could lob our empty bottles at the capitalists to the south.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Last time I was in north korea I took a tremendous poo poo and didn't flush

american imperialism at its finest :smugdog:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Guy Delisle's comic was a great read! The lonely middle eastern guy dancing at the club, the citizen who was running backwards for some unknown reason, and the fact that the minders were piss poor at target practice stand out to me. The fact that ordinary citizens had to pick fruit from public trees and were punished is sadly common.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

god please help me posted:

Guy Delisle's comic was a great read! The lonely middle eastern guy dancing at the club, the citizen who was running backwards for some unknown reason, and the fact that the minders were piss poor at target practice stand out to me. The fact that ordinary citizens had to pick fruit from public trees and were punished is sadly common.

Excuse me? Public trees? The fruit of the tree belongs to the people and the general secretary of the workers party of korea knows best how to use it, colonialist.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

country so sad, laughing got banned
is lump fast asleep or launching nukes at Japan

his lump
his lump
was on his head

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cat Hassler posted:

Well China sent a train in with aid and North Korea basically said “thank for the train” and kept it with everything on it

Volvo was dumb enough to send them new cars thinking they’d ever get paid for them

lmfao nk are just offline goons

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Cat Hassler posted:

For anyone curious about North Korea I can recommend a few books:

Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader by Bradley Martin. Explains the history of North Korea and their motivations in an engaging way.

Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty https://a.co/d/0tU7YrO

Aquariums of Pyongyang by Chol-hwan Kang. His memoir of growing up in a labor camp after his family got in trouble with the regime

By Chol-hwan Kang - The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag https://a.co/d/fEFz6jk

Pyongyang by Guy Delisle. His graphic novel of his experience working as an animator for a North Korean film studio. Charming at times

Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea https://a.co/d/fBnfIKr

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick is excellent too

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea https://a.co/d/4eH3Qad

Haven't read nothing to envy, but can recommend all the others. Everything but aquariums of pyongyang is fairly neutral about NK's origins all things considered and indeed it's a subject that speaks for itself: you don't really have to force a moral interpretation onto it. If you had to read just one, Probably start with Under the Loving Care, which really explains the origins and rise of the Kim family. Guy Delisle's graphic novel is really good, too.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Pink velour juche couture top to accentuate how far a person's ribcage protrudes

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Can we just bring up again how much the Ryugyong hotel does not look like something with actual rooms in it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel

I dear say it almost looks like something designed by Elon Musk.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Yaldabaoth posted:

Can we just bring up again how much the Ryugyong hotel does not look like something with actual rooms in it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel

I dear say it almost looks like something designed by Elon Musk.

Can’t complain about the abysmal room service because there are no rooms :smuggo:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The Ryugong definitely has some usable rooms in it. The government tours often stick people in there to impress them and prove to them that the building is very real and cool and totally not a gigantic, embarrassing symbol of their failed ideology. Most floors do just seem to be bare concrete though.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Sounds like good night sleep knowing there's 20 floors of crumbling concrete above your head.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
You always sleep best when you know it may be your last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The strange 'hidden' 5th floor of the Yanggakdo Hotel in Pyongyang where they surveil the guests and from which Otto Warnbier stole the poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yBiW9LB_HA