Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Somehow AP has managed to report from Pyongyang, and even interview people, without pathologizing spin that presents the city of >2M (and suggestively, the whole country) as a "stage set" where "automatons" put on "acts" for foreigners. It is specifically the BBC that, again and again, has gone there with a predetermined angle that rejects the people's humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Gazpacho posted:

Somehow AP has managed to report from Pyongyang, and even interview people, without pathologizing spin that presents the city of >2M (and suggestively, the whole country) as a "stage set" where "automatons" put on "acts" for foreigners. It is specifically the BBC that, again and again, has gone there with a predetermined angle that rejects the people's humanity.

Lol go suck Kim’s dick, the whole country is a Potemkin village and its citizens are brainwashed slaves, you loving suck, go eat Stalin’s dead rear end.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

And?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

Let me know when people are allowed to leave without getting shot at.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQORt5Y7Eqo

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oD0W6SSBUA&list=RDSQORt5Y7Eqo&index=2

itry
Aug 23, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFr7DLckCaw

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
otto warmbier sounds like a cameo character on Hogan's Heroes

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So the defense is that the defector accounts are being cherry picked, but like... Not that they didn't happen. So you still have children in prison camps because Grampa was reported to have insulted Dear Leader, but it's not that many children, you guys!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Das Boo posted:

So the defense is that the defector accounts are being cherry picked, but like... Not that they didn't happen. So you still have children in prison camps because Grampa was reported to have insulted Dear Leader, but it's not that many children, you guys!

You only ever see interviews from defectors who successfully made it out of NK. Why aren't we hearing from the ones who got filled with bullet holes half way across the border, or extradited from China to spend the rest of their lives in labor camps? Checkmate, western media :smuggo:

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Das Boo posted:

well art historian, philosopher and pedophile Michel Foucault noted that with the regimented time and regime of discipline by punishment endemic to human society prisons resemble schools, which resemble workplaces and which all in turn resemble prisons so who can say if the gulags are bad or not

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It was alsi funny when nirth korea got so butt mad about a Seth Rogan movie that they hacked sony

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Nooner posted:

It was alsi funny when nirth korea got so butt mad about a Seth Rogan movie that they hacked sony

Eh, my brother thought Sausage Party was funny.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

More like Otto coldbier

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The criticism in this thread has given me something to think about.

Also "Warmbier" jokes aren't funny.

that's all

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:regd04:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
One time a north korean ship called mu du bong was confiscated in mexico and eventually released back to north korea

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

north korea is a garbage idiot country full of rear end heads with poo poo for brain

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

people in north korea dont have ice because they cant remember the recipe
(that and they dont have electricity to run a freezer)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I am North Korea. Not in, am. I am the landmass.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

The last voyage of the pong su was an interesting podcast on North Korea trying to smuggle 100 million dollars of heroin into Australia

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Das Boo posted:

No, you don't get it. The video guy did two whole interviews for his YouTube documentary. That's all he could do because he didn't have enough money to stay in South Korea for more than a week to interview people. Surely that's more than enough evidence for you.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Nooner posted:

member that time the kid stole a poster from north korea cause he was tryna get some pussy and then they caught him trying to steal the poster and beat him braindead in a gulag and then shipped him back like 2 days before he died and were all like "uuuhhh he was like that when we got here" lol

There was a longread about the Otto Warmbier case that talked a lot to various diplomats, NK watchers and picked over the evidence. They concluded that Warmbier had stolen the poster, probably thinking there was no way he'd be detained for it. NK decided to make an example of him or use him for political leverage. Them just before he was released, Warmbier attempted suicide leaving himself in a vegative state, and the authorities on both sides with an awkward situation.

Which is to not say that NK is a blameless workers paradise, but there is method to their madness.

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
At least it's not Arkansas.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's the deal with those photos showing DPRK guards at the DMZ standing next to South Korean and American military, easily two heads taller than them? Is it true that their puny size is due to generational malnourishment, or do the SK and US military just pick their most robust himbos for DMZ duty, for the photo ops? Or is it a bit of both?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mister Speaker posted:

What's the deal with those photos showing DPRK guards at the DMZ standing next to South Korean and American military, easily two heads taller than them? Is it true that their puny size is due to generational malnourishment, or do the SK and US military just pick their most robust himbos for DMZ duty, for the photo ops? Or is it a bit of both?

It's both.

There's definitely height issues due to malnutrition (though those on the DMZ get some of the best food available), but also South Korea deliberately picks the tallest and beefiest soldiers as a psyop

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It seems bizarre to me that malnutrition can seriously do that to people. I imagine the 'generational' part is a big factor. NK has five Olympic gold medals in weightlifting, so I'm sure they're more than familiar with exogenous hormones. I vote they turn the DMZ into a 24/7 bodybuilding pose-down.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

we tested on the border?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Gazpacho posted:

there was a pro-dprk korean twitter (in English) that I watched for interesting perspectives, but I just went to check it and it's private now

keep in mind that anything you read about the DPRK that is sourced from the following sources is propaganda/sensational trash:

- Radio Free Asia (US state department outfit, exists to advance US policy and not to be truthful)
- Chosun Ilbo (conservative ROK news outfit, all the rumors fit to print)
- DIMPLE channel on YouTube (idk exactly who runs it, but it seems to exist to recruit spies for the US military)
- Daily Mail (duh)
- BBC has also had a racist hate boner for the DPRK for 20 years where they send in mediocre reporters to sling innuendos that everything is "fake." In 2016 officials finally had enough and detained a guy until he apologized. Long time coming imo.

Please, if you find yourself on a pity trip for North Koreans, where they literally evoke no other emotion in you, try to move away from that because it's kind of demeaning.

Gazpacho posted:

the documentary "Loyal Citizens of Pyongyang in Seoul" (made by a Korean-American communist) explains how defector narratives are chosen for political ends.

what a passive aggressive bitch

also nobody is buying what you're selling

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mister Speaker posted:

It seems bizarre to me that malnutrition can seriously do that to people. I imagine the 'generational' part is a big factor. NK has five Olympic gold medals in weightlifting, so I'm sure they're more than familiar with exogenous hormones. I vote they turn the DMZ into a 24/7 bodybuilding pose-down.

I remember reading about defectors having a hard time fitting in in South Korea partially because they can often be picked out on sight. Not only are they shorter but their heads are a little larger in proportion to their bodies since in starvation events, the body favors maintenance of the brain over muscles. Apparently the SK general public carry some huge biases and don't treat defectors particularly well.

There was also an extensive account about growing up in the villages and using tree bark to make biscuits to sell on the black market. The tree bark at regular height was so extensively stripped that the lady recruited children to climb the trees and strip the bark out of reach.

God, and there was another account about when the initial split happened and people could still receive packages from their Japanese relatives. One person recalled a man who was sent a cake in a box. They would see him open up the box, look at the cake, then close the box again. He died of starvation with the cake still in the box because (the observer thought) not having it there was more frightening than starving to death.

The starvation stories stuck with me hard.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Gazpacho posted:

You're wasting your time. Westerners hate every country (NK, China, Russia, Cuba, Iran, etc.) that isn't either a western imperial state or one of its colonized client states. That's not coincidence, the west must believe in the supremacy of its civilization because it thinks it deserves to rule the world and use everyone outside its imperial core as expendable slave labor

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Polybius91 posted:

You're wasting your time. Westerners hate every country (NK, China, Russia, Cuba, Iran, etc.) that isn't either a western imperial state or one of its colonized client states. That's not coincidence, the west must believe in the supremacy of its civilization because it thinks it deserves to rule the world and use everyone outside its imperial core as expendable slave labor

North Korea uses its own population as slave labor, dipshit (and China contracts them out)

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It's both.

There's definitely height issues due to malnutrition (though those on the DMZ get some of the best food available), but also South Korea deliberately picks the tallest and beefiest soldiers as a psyop
I am not a doctor or researcher, but I am willing to read a study about length and girth differences between NK and SK wieners because I know that zinc deficiency can cause stunted peepees.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Gazpacho posted:

The criticism in this thread has given me something to think about.

Also "Warmbier" jokes aren't funny.

that's all

Hey that's cool, I'm serious

And I agree, what happened to the guy was horrific. It's SA so I will tolerate and ignore the jokes but I sure won't make one

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Polybius91 posted:

Feel free to head on over to those places and post about it.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Das Boo posted:

Apparently the SK general public carry some huge biases and don't treat defectors particularly well.

This is why there will never be peace between the two countries. The south absolutely hates the north and would sooner kill the defectors than welcome them with open arms.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Every documentary I’ve watched always has the NK people posing with lots of bottles of pop beer whatever. Why? Is it supposed to be that impressive that “yes I have a whole 12 pack of Korea Koke, there’s no famines?” Like people watching in the west are supposed to be impressed by all bottles?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Polybius91 posted:

you're really talking about an imaginary enemy here. this is SA. it's a conglomerate of internet elder sceptical assholes, the reasons people aren't impressed by the histories of the countries you mentioned has more to do with comparative information than propaganda.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Polybius91 posted:

Yawn go wash your Che gavera t shirt it smells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
its cool actually. beautiful landscapes