Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CainFortea posted:

Biden is gonna veto it since the republicans went against their leadership. Now is not the time to play partisan politics jack!

Oh :cmon: with this white noise nothing matters poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
But like seriously it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Having a complete lack of faith in politicians ain't white noise.

Also have you been here before? Lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh :cmon: with this white noise nothing matters poo poo

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

I feel like this has been my mood since at least 2015 in regards to everything.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Where do african airlines fall on that scale? Assuming above soviet era?

Ethiopian Airlines is fantastic. I've also flown Asky Air (a pan-African carrier) and it's clear they do at least try to provide a good customer experience even if the aircraft are dated. I've also flown Nigeria's carrier, Arik Air, and at times I felt like it would have helped if I got out and pushed, and this was for a one-hour flight between Lagos and Abuja.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/blindsided-veterans-erupt-fury-senate-republicans-suddenly-tank-pact-a-rcna40516

Senate Republicans strike again.

quote:

Blindsided veterans erupted in anger and indignation Thursday after Senate Republicans suddenly tanked a widely supported bipartisan measure that would have expanded medical coverage for millions of combatants exposed to toxic burn pits during their service.

Supporters of the Sergeant First Class Heath Robinson Honoring Our Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics Act — or PACT Act — overwhelmingly expected the House-passed bill to sail through to the president's desk for signature.

But in a move that shocked and confused veteran groups Wednesday night, 41 Senate Republicans blocked the bill's passage, including 25 who had supported it a month ago.

"We really expected yesterday to be a procedural vote that would go with easy passage," said Jeremy Butler, CEO of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, a nonprofit veterans’ organization. "That was the absolute expectation."

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Burt posted:

Also from someone who used to commute monthly to Australia from the UK for a living, airlines ranking;

Any Far Eastern > Any Middle Eastern >>>> Any European National >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any US >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any Euro budget >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any ex-sov bloc >>>>>>>> RyanAir

preach

My ONE RyanAir flight was a grueling three hours and I take pains to earnestly and sternly warn away any friend that has ever mentioned the airline or even budget travel in Europe in general.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I know a guy whose sole RyanAir flight was actually a full day bus ride from Scotland to London when either maintenance or crew issues caused them to deplane on the tarmac.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I know a guy whose sole RyanAir flight was actually a full day bus ride from Scotland to London when either maintenance or crew issues caused them to deplane on the tarmac.

Depending on the bus, I could find a way to enjoy that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Sacrist65 posted:

Totally not sponsored buzzfeed article:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rebeccakhera/spirit-airlines-review

Notice to you closet bringers and soda sippers, your days are numbered.

People just celebrating our race to the bottom. I can't wait for this type of article on a future healthcare system run out of an old pizza hut where a "Nurse" who got certified in Florida after a 40 hour course zoom calls you to prescribe antibiotics.

"Forcing workers to see you in person is low key ableist, remote healthcare is inclusive, pay extra to have a COLD stethoscope on my chest? NO THANKS."

This is 100% paid content or the author has the airline equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. I flew Spirit twice (two flights on a trip from Baltimore to LAX) and had to deal with cancellations, multiple delays, people fighting with airline staff over baggage fees, etc., drunk passengers, etc. I vowed to myself I'd never do that again, and haven't. That being said, it's pretty clear that the airline industry is just a free-fall race to the bottom unless you can upgrade to business class, which isn't even worth it unless you're crossing an ocean.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Seriously air nz I'd excellent, but that's what happens when you are backed by a country

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Maybe RyanAir really is that bad compared to the others, but I'm not sure y'all are using the Euro budget airlines right. They're not good for long flights, traveling with family, or really doing anything serious. But if you want to gently caress off to somewhere for a long weekend that's within a couple hours on a plane, it's nice to be able to do that for ~$100 - it's a party bus. Don't take a big bag, drop any expectations, you'll still (probably) get there.

Last time I took a Saturday evening EasyJet flight from Barcelona to Nice, most of the plane was pregaming for that evening while the flight attendants were leading party games. Carry-on size limits or limited seat pitch did not come up.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I think it was on here someone told an anecdote about a friend who flew Spirit, somehow wasn't counted as present, so her return ticket was cancelled. Customer service basically told her to kick rocks and she was stranded. That was enough to keep me away from them for good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spirit and Frontier are what Delta, United, and American wish they could provide while charging their current prices.

Arcella posted:

What counts as "Far Eastern" JAL, Korean Air, etc?

Singapore and Cathay, though Cathay has suffered a bit in recent years.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arcella posted:

I think it was on here someone told an anecdote about a friend who flew Spirit, somehow wasn't counted as present, so her return ticket was cancelled. Customer service basically told her to kick rocks and she was stranded. That was enough to keep me away from them for good.

And there's literally nothing you can do because you know they don't care about bad PR

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen Jon Stewart this pissed off before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uPqYhkIzrA

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Watch the old 9/11 firefighter speeches he gave. Anger was kind of his thing after satire.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Watch the old 9/11 firefighter speeches he gave. Anger was kind of his thing after satire.

Oh yeah, I remember those. Ditto his first post 9/11 monologue.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/business/status/1552788262288297984

The sooner we get term limits or court packing to mitigate the influence of these old fascist fucks, the better.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fry shocked not shocked dot gif

Dead veterans cost no money

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nick Soapdish posted:

Fry shocked not shocked dot gif

Dead veterans cost no money

As the scripture has previously stated:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

facialimpediment posted:

GOOGLE TOWER SEVEN

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS

THEY STOLE THE ELECTION

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1552716060687847425?t=Jmd9hmz7dHD5eMOukzrsYQ&s=19

this is what peak performance looks like (poo poo)

man I haven't seen a clip of him in a while. He looks like poo poo (still not as bad as biden)

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Apparently the Republicans voted "no" due to the House bill re-classifying spending from discretionary to mandatory, though I don't know enough about the budget and appropriation process to understand the significance of that change.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/58177

CBO posted:

The bill would
• Increase disability compensation and expand health care services for a larger group of veterans who were exposed to toxic substances or served in certain locations during their military service
• Increase the number of veterans without service-connected disabilities who can receive health care from the Department of Veterans Affairs
• Require several studies and reports on veterans’ toxic exposures during military service
• Establish a new mandatory appropriation to pay for the costs of health care associated with environmental exposures, expenses incidental to the delivery of that health care, disability claims processing, medical research, information technology programs, and other services associated with environmental exposure
• Reclassify of some discretionary spending under current law as direct spending

Estimated budgetary effects would mainly stem from
• Increased disability compensation and increased health care costs for certain veterans
• Operating costs and administrative costs for processing disability compensation claims and implementing the bill’s other provisions
• Reclassifying some discretionary spending under current law as direct spending

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Maybe RyanAir really is that bad compared to the others, but I'm not sure y'all are using the Euro budget airlines right. They're not good for long flights, traveling with family, or really doing anything serious. But if you want to gently caress off to somewhere for a long weekend that's within a couple hours on a plane, it's nice to be able to do that for ~$100 - it's a party bus. Don't take a big bag, drop any expectations, you'll still (probably) get there.

Last time I took a Saturday evening EasyJet flight from Barcelona to Nice, most of the plane was pregaming for that evening while the flight attendants were leading party games. Carry-on size limits or limited seat pitch did not come up.

Like, quick, cheap short haul "ascend and immediately descend" flights are great for long weekends like you say, but they are definitely a fuckin problem. Not as wasteful as musk or the like and their 14 minute private flights, but they've right up there.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I took quite a few EasyJet and a Spirit or two and a good selection of others, but the RyanAir flight was uniquely poo poo. Hard plastic bright yellow seatback literally against my knees, a suicidal flight attendant reading you a skymall ad over the intercom every ten minutes, Entebbe raid lookin rear end terminal gate, running wild with fees

mlmp08 posted:

My answer:

A.o.D. posted:

Depending on the bus, I could find a way to enjoy that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

facialimpediment posted:

Make all jokes here:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1552603013663047682?t=6-xniJuy4BKy2mB0doi3-A&s=19

because I've never felt more like cattle when I needed to pay $7 twice just to know my drat seat, can't imagine what it's like in the pandemic-era and now a merged cost-cutting discount megacarrier

$3.8B for an airlinr isn't bad, but once you add in employment contracts, airliners, and terminal rights...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Whenever I see one of those bright yellow Spirit liveries I immediately think of no name, one of Canada's most iconic (and funny) domestic brands.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you fly rather than using trains in continental Europe, you are doing it wrong. Even if you add a few hours of running time, you will spare yourself the airport circus and the business-class equivalents are far cheaper.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

SlowBloke posted:

If you fly rather than using trains in continental Europe, you are doing it wrong. Even if you add a few hours of running time, you will spare yourself the airport circus and the business-class equivalents are far cheaper.

A few years ago we took a flight from Venice to Naples, was really painless, though the security seemed really weak compared to the US, and the announcement that the flight was leaving was very vague.

Was a quick flight though, we took the train up the west coast back to Rome after that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Scuffy_1989 posted:

A few years ago we took a flight from Venice to Naples, was really painless, though the security seemed really weak compared to the US, and the announcement that the flight was leaving was very vague.

Was a quick flight though, we took the train up the west coast back to Rome after that.

Venice-Naples is a domestic flight so the checks are pretty much non-existant, non-domestic(even if within schengen) are far worse.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Holy poo poo they literally called their trap the TRAP.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Scuffy_1989 posted:

So domestic security was weak without 19 additional steps to still be weak

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A buddy was in the US flying Aeroméxico and got his boarding pass from their check in counter then walked over to TSA. They laughed, then sent him back to the check in counter to obtain a non-handwritten boarding pass.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Talking about Ryanair and seats, I'm pretty sure that Ryanair lobbied hard at one point for standing to be available on flights, you got a pole to hold on to.*

*His name was Karol

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Pelosi's trip has already been very educational for identifying social media that seems to stan for China beyond just the baseline opposition to Democrats. (none of these below are examples of that)

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1552995278059409411

https://twitter.com/duandang/status/1553052040632233984

https://twitter.com/Kevinliptakcnn/status/1553096606513258496

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I did not have this on my BINGO card.

quote:

Atlanta group implicated in Russian influence scheme

The U.S. Department of Justice has connected the Black Hammer Party, a Black-led radical group based in Atlanta, to an alleged Russian plot to sow discord in the United States, according to a newly unsealed federal indictment.

The department announced Friday that Aleksandr Viktorovich Ionov, a Russian national with Kremlin connections, was secretly funding fringe political groups in Georgia, Florida and California, directing them to “publish pro-Russian propaganda, as well as other information designed to cause dissention in the United States and to promote secessionist ideologies.”

“Secret foreign government efforts to influence American elections and political groups threaten our democracy by spreading misinformation, distrust and mayhem,” Assistant Attorney General Kenneth A. Polite, Jr. said in a statement. “The department is committed to ensuring U.S. laws protecting transparency in the electoral process and the political system are not undermined through foreign malign influence.”

According to the indictment, Ionov, who lives in Moscow, paid for members of the Black Hammer Party to travel to San Francisco in March to protest Facebook’s censorship of posts supporting Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The influence went so far as to direct Black Hammer members on the designs of signs for the protest.

The group livestreamed the protest on its social media channels and accounts of the protest were carried in Russian media. Ionov even posted his appreciation of the Facebook protest on his own Facebook page.

Ionov is president of the Anti-Globalization Movement of Russia (AGMR) and describes himself as a “human rights activist.” But federal authorities claim he was working with unnamed members of the FSB, the Russian security service that is the successor of the Soviet-era KGB.

The indictment claims Ionov used his organization to recruit dissident groups from the U.S. and encourage them to advocate for secession and to promote Russian talking points.

“Thereafter, Ionov exercised direction and control over these groups on behalf of the FSB,” the indictment claims. “Ionov also monitored and regularly reported on their activities to the FSB.”

Whether independently or under Ionov’s direction, much of the Black Hammer Party’s activities have leaned toward a Russian worldview.

The group and its erratic leader Gazi Kodzo have made criticism of America’s foreign policy regarding the Russian invasion a centerpiece of their recent social media campaigns, calling Ukraine a white supremacist country and backing Russian President Vladimir Putin’s justifications for starting the war. The group regularly advocates for the creation of separate homelands for Black and indigenous peoples, and in 2021, the group made a failed attempt to establish a compound in the Colorado Rockies called “Hammer City.”

In addition, Kodzo and the Black Hammer Party have protested against the COVID-19 vaccine, announced an alliance with the far-right Proud Boys, and promoted misinformation about the 2020 presidential election.

The indictment does not name the Black Hammer Party, referring to it as “U.S. Political Group 2.” The Black Hammer group has not been charged in the federal case. However, details included in the indictment, including the March protest at Facebook and the career path of Kodzo, identified in the indictment as “Unindicted Co-Conspirator 5,” reveal the controversial group as the one allegedly under Ionov’s influence.

Another group implicated in the alleged conspiracy is Uhuru Movement, a socialist group based in Tampa, Fla. According to the Tampa Bay Times, federal agents raided several locations there Friday including the movement’s headquarters. Prior to the founding of the Black Hammer Party, Kodzo was secretary general of the Florida-based group until 2018 when he either left or was expelled.

According to the federal authorities, in 2015 Ionov paid for members of the Florida group to travel to Moscow, “and for at least the next seven years, Ionov exercised direction and control over senior members of” the group. The indictment claims that emails sent by senior leaders in the Uhuru Movement acknowledged that Ionov’s organization, AGMR, was “an instrument of (the) Russian government” and that it was “more than likely” that the Kremlin was using AGMR “to utilize forces inside of the U.S. to sew (sic) division inside the United States.” A senior member of Uhuru allegedly wrote that the connection between Ionov and the Russian government did not “disturb us.”

In addition, the indictment claims Ionov used these connections to interfere in local elections in Florida by supporting and consulting in two Uhuru members’ campaigns for local office in 2017 and 2019. Ionov’s involvement in the campaigns allegedly impressed members of the FSB, and one agent of the security force wrote to Ionov that “our election campaign is kind of unique ... are we the first in history?”

Uhuru leaders held a press conference Friday in Florida defending their actions.

“We can have relationships with whoever we want to make this revolution possible,” Eritha “Akile” Cainion said, according to the Tampa Bay Times. “We are in support of Russia.”

According to WTSP-TV, Cainion claimed the indictment was part of a “propaganda war being waged against Russia.”

“The U.S. has a hold on what is being propagated about the war on — the defensive war — Russia’s defensive war against Ukraine, against world colonial powers because that’s what’s happening right now,” she said.

The Black Hammer Party has made similar defenses of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Last month, the group held a protest at the State Capitol in Atlanta over continued U.S. military aid to Ukraine, linking the money spent to federal efforts to mitigate a national shortage of baby formula and the rising cost of gasoline.

“It’s Biden and his demoncrat party stooges that are doing the damage,” the group wrote on its website following the protest. “So why should we be upset with Russia or side against Russia in this war? We should be upset with how amerikkka is treating its own people instead!”

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution attempted to contact members of the Black Hammer Party regarding the indictment but did not receive a reply Friday.

Ionov is accused of influencing a third group in California that promoted secession from the United States. He has been charged with conspiring to have U.S. citizens act as illegal agents for the Russian government and would face up to five years in prison if convicted.

Ionov denied the charges on his Facebook page Friday, accusing the Justice Department of using the indictment to distract from domestic issues.

“Stop looking for enemies everywhere, no one threatens democracy in your country, except those people who infringe on women’s reproductive rights, create unbearable conditions for migrants, and also oppress people on racial grounds!” he wrote. “You are now supplying weapons to Ukraine and other countries, you are interfering in the internal affairs of other countries.”

The connections with Moscow are just the latest troubles for the Black Hammer group.

Last week, Kodzo, whose real name is Augustus Claudius Romain Jr., was arrested and charged with 11 felony counts, including party to the crime of false imprisonment, party to the crime of kidnapping, party to the crime of aggravated assault, criminal street gang activity, criminal conspiracy to commit a felony and aggravated sodomy, following a SWAT standoff outside the group’s communal home in Fayetteville. The standoff ended after police sent a robot into the home and found an 18-year-old man dead, apparently of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Another alleged member of the group, Xavier H. Rushin, 21, was charged in the incident with a misdemeanor and 10 felonies, including kidnapping, aggravated assault, false imprisonment and criminal street gang activity.

Police said they responded to the house after they received an emergency call from inside from someone claiming to be kidnapped. Kodzo and Rushin are in jail in Fayette County on those charges awaiting a bond hearing in Superior Court.

The group routinely has had members arrested, although never for charges this serious. The Black Hammer Party holds regular “church” meetings in Woodruff Park on Sunday where Kodzo and other members proselytize to homeless people, some of whom are recruited to raise money for the group. These loud and usually profane meetings often draw the attention of the Atlanta Police and members of the group have been arrested for minor charges, including violation of the city’s noise ordinance.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
To be honest, I'm not surprised. Tankie messaging has long been authored in Moscow.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

facialimpediment posted:

$50B in incentives inbound to make more semiconductors in-country.

I have a personal and professional need to start my own fab. How do I tap into this governmental largesse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Burt posted:

Also from someone who used to commute monthly to Australia from the UK for a living, airlines ranking;

Any Far Eastern > Any Middle Eastern >>>> Any European National >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any US >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any Euro budget >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any ex-sov bloc >>>>>>>> RyanAir

From my transatlantic work commutes I can confirm that Iberia is awesome. As long as you don't accidently select a Star Alliance Iberia operated by American.

My one Ryan Air flight boarded the whole plane, found out half an hour later it had a flat tire. Disembarked everyone, and managed to be 3 hours late.