Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

facialimpediment posted:

Not really finding out how the hell this happened over in Battle Creek, MI as there has been nothing worse than a minor thunderstorm here:
One must never underestimate drivers' ability to throw themselves violently off the overly generous space allotted to them and collide with pedestrians and inanimate buildings.

The animate buildings are a tougher target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Best view is directly on the track. If I'm not at real risk of getting pancaked by a column of cars moving at a couple hundred miles an hour each lap, I'd might as well just sit and watch it all on TV at home.

Same goes for rocket launches. You've really got to feel the brunt of the heat to get the full experience.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
gently caress, imagine an online politics board filled with nihilistic political memes where posters keep boosting one anothers' disconnection from reality and glorifying absolutely toxic mindsets. I'm glad nothing on SA fits that description.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
It's hard to believe that drive-by shooting fireworks directly at people in an urban area and setting off major fireworks at ground level wasn't intended as terrorism. And all the CHUDs are now pointing to it and laughing at the "dangerous" city, when I'd guess it's pretty drat likely it was someone who drove in from the exurbs...

https://twitter.com/RebsBrannon/status/1544308305744510977?t=FFqR3Q94DbJrlq5lwWRVjA&s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Arrath posted:

It's chilling to me to imagine that that could easily be a string of tracers instead of fireworks.
This. To terrorize people like that on a day where there were already six dead and dozens wounded in one mass shooting, it's a shame no one put these fuckers in the ground. Hard to tell until after the attack has stopped whether they're just using the fireworks to distract from gunfire, best to assume the worst. And it's not like fireworks aren't lethal weapons themselves.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 5, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Just so long as it's used as part of a united deterrent in the face of an increasingly imperialist China and not some inane dickwaving contest with Korea over some birdshit-covered rocks.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I'm sure as gently caress no Japan expert, but unless Japan going full fash includes a wildly successful pro-natal campaign, they're going to struggle to have enough young people to keep their economy alive, let alone serve in a new imperial army and navy. We all laugh/cry at the photos of the Russians trotting granddad out of retirement to fight Putin's war, but, Japan (like its neighbors) might be doing similar in any conflict 20 years down the line.

They could always open up to immigration to make up for things, but that's not even tolerable to the current right-wing government, let alone the fash.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

loving lmao at people in here talking about “imperialist China” given the history of both how Japan and the United States have treated China.
How exactly does other states doing an imperialism to China in the past render us unable to characterize contemporary China as an imperialist power?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What China is doing in some places is lovely but it's not "imperialism"
Perhaps straying too far from "current events", but I'm curious how you'd characterize the Chinese relationship with Tibet and Xinjiang? Or their construction of artificial islands to undermine their neighbors' sovereignty? Or their policy toward Taiwan?

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 12, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
It's only imperialism if it comes from the Western region of the globe. Anywhere else, it's just sparkling oppression.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Love to vote people into office only to have their unelected spouses lecture us on how we should be doing their jobs for them.
What, so now we're complaining that the Dems are asking folks to do more than just vote?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Seems to me that the robot body should use the barrel as a spine to reduce the impact of the recoil, but what do I know.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I still wear my cloth neck gaiter mask in most places.
Not to be a dick, but is this heavier duty than the usual or is it the same type that everyone has said does effectively nothing against Covid, giving or receiving, since the start of the pandemic? With ample chance to have proven otherwise?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
:smug: They don't teach you that in high school history class actually, I never cracked open the textbook and played tetris on my graphing calculator in class every day, so who can say?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The only time and place for cannibalism is 10,000 years in the future on a space station as you trick the man trying to kill you into ingesting your bone fragments in order to tear him apart from the inside with a necromantic theorem (spoilers for Harrow the Ninth).

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Boarding was chaos, but they have those self boarding lanes. A secret is to slide in at the end of the group 1. The AI gates won't stop you from boarding if you're not in the currently boarding group. :ssh:
lol, both "boarding is chaos" and "why yes, I actively contributed to the chaos". Kicking queue jumpers off the flight while still sending their bags to the destination would be a good start to making the experience less poo poo.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I'm open to being convinced otherwise, but I'm skeptical that Russia is capable of a meaningful mobilization. At best, they could throw more barely trained young men into a meat grinder while putting further nails in the coffin of their economy. At worst, it causes sufficient unrest to pierce Putin's aura of invincibility and results in some kind of power transfer and abandonment of the war. Unless Putin decides to pull out the nukes, getting Serbia to throw itself onto NATO's bayonets isn't going to do much more than devastate one of the few Russian satellites remaining.

Either way, it's too early to say whether this will escalate and we all should be very circumspect toward any videos circulating claiming to depict large scale conflict.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Reminder that there's no strong indication that this is anything but the latest flare up in a series of provocations. While I certainly don't want to talk up the competence of Western intelligence capabilities, I'd expect that there'd be enough to assess whether Serbia was mobilizing for an invasion and, as in Ukraine, preemptively call international attention to it.

Seems like a good thread on the incident:
https://twitter.com/UnaHajdari/status/1553828823967453184?s=20&t=j71y36NCb-XzK8DH6yrIsQ

But we all might wake up to a ball of nuclear fire tomorrow, so who knows.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

But we all might wake up to a ball of nuclear fire tomorrow, so who knows.
Yeah, it's called the sun, idiot. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
A vicious mob of anti-Semites attacked a young girl's bat mitzvah amidst escalating attacks on Jews simply attempting to practice their faith in Israel.
https://twitter.com/TimesofIsrael/status/1553067594516537345?t=76MvfheVRMEGDuhooZu31A&s=19