Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

google THIS

I don't know if this is a local or regional thing for me, people seeing a friend driving by so they saunter across their lawn and the friend stops dead in the middle of the street and rolls down their window and they chit chat for twenty minutes, but I really want to know :jerry: what the deal is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

google THIS

Oh God here comes Bill up behind us again wanting access to his own driveway, doesn't he know that interrupting is rude? :rolleyes:

google THIS

(trying to speak above the blasting A/C) Yeah I really like the new RAV, I've been getting really bad gas mileage though for some reason

google THIS

I must emphasize that Hank makes no effort to pull over before striking up a conversation with Fred, because Hank's boat trailer is already parked on one side of the street and Fred's RV is on the other (both technically in violation of HOA rules) so like, what do you expect them to do?

Manifisto

why don't we d-do it [have a lengthy chat] in the road?

ty nesamdoom!

Ass-penny

google THIS posted:

(trying to speak above the blasting A/C) Yeah I really like the new RAV, I've been getting really bad gas mileage though for some reason

This post made me lol at work.

I've actually witnessed this a few times in my cities too. It's hosed up but I try not to flip on folks in these situations because I don't know the people involved or their lives or nothing. If I'm actually stuck behind them they usually notice and try to pull aside. I think the longest I had to wait was less than 60 seconds.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i lay on the horn and flip em the birdie as a i zoom past and accidentally run over 3 children

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i lay on the horn and flip em the birdie as a i zoom past and accidentally run over 3 children

AKA the Carolina handshake

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Tebulot

im hip now bois

lol imagine a guy driving spotting a pedestrian while driving, they lock eyes, the driver slows down a little, the pedestrian seeing this, walks closer to the car

Car slows to a halt, backing up traffic, the pedestrian, seeing the car has come to a halt walks over to the window as it rolls down

"Sorry did you want to speak to me?"

"Hm? No, you slowed down and looked at me, I thought you wanted to speak to me?"

"Haha that's so funny, I slowed down because you saw me and stepped closer"

"Haha"

The endless stream of honking and insults washing over their hilarious happenstance is ignored

Twenty Four

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Areola Grande posted:

AKA the Carolina handshake

lol

Also, I notice when you pull up behind someone and they realize they are blocking the road talking with someone standing next to their vehicle, they often do this "slowly let off the break" move, like as slow as possible, as they try to quickly wrap up their conversation with farewell statements.

Sort of like you are inconveniencing them for breaking up their conversation by wanting to use the road for its intended purpose instead of a chat spot and so they do this "yeah, yeah, I'm going, hold on back there buddy, I'm doing you a favor here by cutting my conversation short" slowly inch forward move.

Finger Prince

What's even weirder is when they stop and the pedestrian comes up to the car window and they chat through the window briefly, then the pedestrian walks around and gets in the passenger seat. And it's not like there's Uber or lyft stickers on the car. And then they drive over to the empty parking lot a few blocks away and park, and then they come back and the pedestrian gets out and just hangs around on the corner while the driver drives off. So weird. And yet when you go a couple of city blocks over, you don't see anyone doing this!

Tebulot

im hip now bois

Finger Prince posted:

What's even weirder is when they stop and the pedestrian comes up to the car window and they chat through the window briefly, then the pedestrian walks around and gets in the passenger seat. And it's not like there's Uber or lyft stickers on the car. And then they drive over to the empty parking lot a few blocks away and park, and then they come back and the pedestrian gets out and just hangs around on the corner while the driver drives off. So weird. And yet when you go a couple of city blocks over, you don't see anyone doing this!

want to meet that pedestrian

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
there's a word for the ppl u described OP. they're known as yay-hoos and they're no good

Ass-penny

I want to know how many of the people we're talking about are involved in honest to god drug deals.

the weed man doing the Lord's work, if you will

:freakfuta: :rznv: :yaycat:

google THIS

Tebulot posted:

lol imagine a guy driving spotting a pedestrian while driving, they lock eyes, the driver slows down a little, the pedestrian seeing this, walks closer to the car

Car slows to a halt, backing up traffic, the pedestrian, seeing the car has come to a halt walks over to the window as it rolls down

"Sorry did you want to speak to me?"

"Hm? No, you slowed down and looked at me, I thought you wanted to speak to me?"

"Haha that's so funny, I slowed down because you saw me and stepped closer"

"Haha"

The endless stream of honking and insults washing over their hilarious happenstance is ignored

tfw you think the pedestrian is waving at you but they're actually waving at the motorist in front of you (never the one behind you) and now you're too embarrassed to ask if you can squeeze by

Tebulot

im hip now bois

google THIS posted:

tfw you think the pedestrian is waving at you but they're actually waving at the motorist in front of you (never the one behind you) and now you're too embarrassed to ask if you can squeeze by

:rolleyes: every time

alnilam

pedestrian talking to one of the sentient cars from pixar's Cars in the middle of the street

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

As a city dweller, the idea of people doing this is infuriating. I guess I shouldn't move to the suburbs

google THIS

Jerry: Elaine's new boyfriend is nice. A bit of a road talker

Finger Prince

*Kramer bursts in*
Jerry! You'll never guess who I just saw driving outside. The Assman! You remember the Assman! Yeah, well we must have talked in the road for half an hour! He's doing great by the way.

Jerry: Was that what all those car horns were about?

Kramer: *shaken* b-but it was the Assman! What was I supposed to do!

George: not stop for a chat in the middle of the road?

Escape From Noise

This is a thing in Santa Fe only it's when two people driving past each other recognize one another and both stop to chat blocking both lanes of traffic. Local writers are like "It's because Santa Feens are so friendly! It's The City Different!"

People in Santa Fe are not very friendly.

Twenty Four

Definitely seen the 2 drivers talk to each other elsewhere, I've never been to Sante Fe (unless maybe driving through when I was young, but I don't remember either way), but it's essentially the same thing as someone walking up to a car to talk and blocking the street. And I agree, I don't think it's particularly a "friendly" thing either, it's someone you know or your neighbor or whatever, not some random person you just saw on the street.

google THIS

Escape From Noise posted:

This is a thing in Santa Fe only it's when two people driving past each other recognize one another and both stop to chat blocking both lanes of traffic.

:wtc:

google THIS

(fire truck lays on the horn)

"Eyyy, I'm bein' friendly ovah here!"

I also have never been to Santa Fe I probably butchered the accent

Escape From Noise

google THIS posted:

(fire truck lays on the horn)

"Eyyy, I'm bein' friendly ovah here!"

I also have never been to Santa Fe I probably butchered the accent

At least it wasn't a Texan accent.

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
one time i was riding a bicycle and i did the left hand half up hand wave while still holding the bars thing to a guy on a motorcycle and he flipped me off

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i dream of someday living in america. in my country pedestrians and motorists are never allowed to talk. biden my country yearns for ice cream

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ass-penny

canyoneer posted:

one time i was riding a bicycle and i did the left hand half up hand wave while still holding the bars thing to a guy on a motorcycle and he flipped me off

:dogstare:

FutonForensic

a pedestrian and a motorist, loving and sucking on the hot dirty pavement

google THIS

FutonForensic posted:

a pedestrian and a motorist, loving and sucking on the hot dirty pavement

The motorist is still inside their vehicle though, this is very important

Tebulot

im hip now bois

Slammin the tailpipe

Ass-penny

Tebulot posted:

Slammin the tailpipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

*Waving at my neighbor from just barely across the other side of the street, while they jump in their SUV and pull it out of the driveway, parking it in the middle of the road in front of my house blocking traffic to have a conversation*