Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

teen witch posted:

If it’s what I think it is, it’s romsås - crème fraiche, mayo, dill, red onions and roe!

And yeah it’s solid with potatoes and lax

God yes. My Finnish mother in law makes an amazing mix just like this except without the roe. Throw it on some new potatoes and it’s the most delicious thing in the world. Potatoes and cream is why I am a fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

The secret to a good restaurant is adding pine needles and cones to every dish, but charging more to not put them in

Spruce can be quite a nice flavour, sometimes on hikes in the forest we pick the young needles off the trees and chew them. I wouldn’t put it in pasta though.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Doll House Ghost posted:

These are all collected from kotikokki.net, crowdsourced recipe site.

Amateur photos of Finnish food is straight up cheating.

It never looks good but in most cases is delicious.

Except for sandwich cake. Which is just trickery. Cake should not be savoury.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

This is sold in supermarkets here. A sushi roll wrapped in a tortilla. :finland:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Fairy bread should be made with the whitest, most nutritionally devoid bread available. The kind which is 60% air. Butter. Hundreds and thousands. Accompanied by home brand lemonade, chocolate crackles, lolly snakes and coloured popcorn.

You’re 5 years old, it’s your cousin's birthday party, and someone's about to get too excited and vomit all over the lounge room.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Haifisch posted:

That was a weird time for condiments in general.

The only use I ever found for green tomato sauce was to create blood effects for a high school stop-motion army men film project. We had green sauce, red sauce and mustard for the three armies. It was disgusting.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

What’s weird about Nice biscuits? They’re nice!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Sometimes I feel like Finland is deliberately trying to upset the rest of the world with their food. :finland:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

“We’re all men today, so we’ll add a lot more pepper. It’ll be a two-Pepsi stew.”

American food suddenly makes a lot more sense if you read ‘pepper’ as some weird-arse slang for ‘Pepsi’.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

Today I have learned that it is in fact not a regular hamburger in a semla, it's just a semla with a round brownie between the buns.

With all the stuff they've done with semlor here in recent years and all the horrors I've seen in this thread, I was 100% ready to believe they had, in fact, put a regular meat hamburger patty in a semla, and I had also actively chosen not to research it. Not that I would ever try it regardless, but anyway.

As someone who has been enjoying a metric fucktonne of laskiaispulla lately, I would not eat one with brownie in it. That’s just a step too far.

Our local cafe makes one with lemon curd and licorice cream, however, which sounds delicious. :finland:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The perfect Finnish-Italian fusion food already exists: Koti Pizza's Berlusconi.

Anything else is just a pretender.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Dareon posted:

Cinnamon as an addition to an otherwise properly-spiced chili con carne sounds okay, it would add some interesting notes.

I once accidentally added too much cinnamon to a butter chicken. The recipe had maybe half a teaspoon of cinnamon in the spice mix, but I mistranslated and put a tablespoon.

It was the most christmassy curry I’ve ever eaten.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Here's some more Swedish everyday dinner for you:

Korv stroganoff: falukorv in a cream and tomato sauce, usually served with rice.

You Swedes and your fancy rice. In :finland: it’s served with boiled potatoes.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Dixville posted:

This reminds me of when I was a kid and found a dead turtle that got trapped in a kiddie pool and when we lifted the lid all the maggots came out

I read this like 5 times before realising that by 'lid' you’re (probably) referring to the pool covering, not the dead turtle's shell.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://twitter.com/FootyScran/status/1662449713692418054

:stare:

(I know, this one's more a culturally different offering, but still)

ROPS only does grilled sausages and coffee. I’d be there every week if muikku and mash was on offer. Those little fishies are the best thing about summer in Finland.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

teen witch posted:

OK I could gently caress with that hard, even though I’m super mixed on Kalles (the vegan one tastes better, no I will not be taking questions). Nonetheless, that sounds delightful

And the egg butter? I didn’t know you could do that. I feel like some countries there’s a law against something so divine. so so so good.

In this country you can go to a supermarket and buy a thing of egg butter and take it home and eat it and the cops can’t stop you. It’s beautiful. :finland:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

dog nougat posted:

I refuse to believe this

Tuna is one of the most common pizza toppings in :finland:. Tuna, ham, sometimes pepperoni or salami. I like mine with pineapple as well. :)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

teen witch posted:

Thank you for saving me the ten min in crafting that post

I’d never put iceberg lettuce on pizza

How about in a pizza? It’s the best way to trick yourself into thinking it’s healthy.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You can definitely buy ground bay leaf but I cannot attest to its taste.

Yeah, my wife made a beetroot and mince dish yesterday which included a bay leaf, crushed and mixed in with everything else.

I get the feeling that Finnish recipes inhabit a different reality than the rest of the world.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

My family had fights at Thanksgiving and Christmas over getting to eat the turkey hearts, they're tasty.

How similar are they to chicken hearts, aka the BEST part of the Brazilian BBQ experience?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Reminds me of my only real exposure to margarine as a kid being Matilda(the book, idk about the movie) associating it with horrible poverty.

I only ever knew steak tartare from the Mr Bean episode where it’s a horrible looking plate of mush. Then I went to a French restaurant about 5 years ago and tried it, turned out it’s delicious.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Findus kalapuikkoa
Oolannin Lankkuperunat
Herne
Kermaviili
Tilli

I have everything in my fridge/freezer to make this right now and I’m tempted. :finland:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Quark is called rahka here. It tastes closer to natural unsweetened yogurt than it does to cheese. It goes very nice with berries.

I learned that the taste of quark differs between countries when I tried to eat berries with quark in Australia and almost immediately vomited. loving disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Where are the toppings? Are they under the cheese? I don't understand.

The joke is that there’s no pineapple, blue cheese or tuna on that pizza.