Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My worst Dorito experience was when I first moved to Korea, Doritos were imported and tasted the same as the US. They were the only kind of chip-like thing that was imported and were good. Then a year or two in, Doritos started being manufactured locally and now they were glazed with sugar like every domestic Korean chip and thus disgusting. I was so sad I now had no non-sweet chip options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

aphid_licker posted:

What is up with Korean cooking, every Korean cooking video I stumble across has an add surprising amounts of sugar stage

Basically all Korean food is sugary as hell. I was always amazed at there being most of an entire aisle at the grocery store that's just various kinds of corn/rice syrup.

When you cook Korean food just cut the sugar down. Don't get rid of it entirely, there is a reason why a little of it is in there, but you can pretty much cut the sugar in half on any recipe as a starting point. If it uses both sugar and corn syrup (pretty common; rice syrup is basically the same thing but English recipes will usually say corn since that's easier to get outside Korea) I skip the syrup and lower the sugar.

Living there, whenever you try something new you get to play everyone's favorite game, Is It Sweet? and the answer is always yes.

Pookah posted:

Isn't it a thing that Korea was extremely poor until very recently, had a boom, and is now quite wealthy, and doing the standard 'was poor, got rich, started obsessing about sugar' thing?
I've heard Korean restaurateurs in the US who emigrated 20-30 years ago serve a completely different, low-sugar menu compared to modern South Korean cuisine.

I don't know if it's a wealth thing but the timeline is about right, yeah. The bulk of Korean immigration to the US was before the sugar obsession. There's a reasonable argument that at least LA Koreatown has better Korean food than Korea nowadays.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I wasn't sure whether to say something but :raise: at fries being proper and posh but chips being juvenile and insulting

I have run into more than one European who finds the idea of chips with a sandwich not just unusual but like, personally offensive. It's weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

I can't wait to hit up massive domestic and international food emporium Jungle Jim's tomorrow (for the first time in five years!) and look for some of the more interesting foods mentioned in this thread. Not to mention favorite borderline AFP like goetta. :yum:

Jungle Jim's is the best.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

stereobreadsticks posted:

I hate it when I find bugs in my food.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I remember getting those at a corner pizza place a few blocks from my house, they were rad.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pepperoni pizza combos were the only worthwhile ones and remain so.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

what the gently caress

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

yeah what why do you need that much oil to make an egg?

It's a common way to make crispy fried eggs in China and some other parts of Asia, pretty sure I saw it in Thailand too. It's good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the amount of oil used for that egg seems a bit insane to me, i think you can use less to make even a thai-styled omelette. the result did come out ok though it just screamed wasteful to me

It is a lot but the general concept of shitload of oil to semi-deep fry an egg is good and noble.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat I want some banana runts now. I never liked banana candies when I was a kid, then one day I found out I liked banana runts, now I'm one of the blessed few who can't get enough of that fake chemical flavor.

I too love banana runts. And banana laffy taffy. Give me all the fake banana candy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Orange tic-tacs are the poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wasabi can be used anywhere but is particularly good with beef. The four times a year I make a steak I always have wasabi with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

yes, those have been making me angry with their lack of alcohol and wrong name for almost 4 decades now

Nobody's stopping you from pouring some everclear in one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

If you think American bread is sweet then Japanese is in another category.

This cannot be emphasized enough. Also applies to Korea, which shouldn't be a surprise if you are familiar with Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do you not carbonate your eggs before cooking them? :confused:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

what the gently caress

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

what the gently caress

like I actually think the idea of "do a foreign cuisine but only local ingredients" can be interesting and good but what the gently caress is happening here

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Valko posted:

Self heating Chinese Hot Pots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfg6x56Ou8

I'm not sure if these qualify as AFP but the Potato Noodle with Sausage Ham gave me the willies.

I've tried one before and it's top 5 worst things I've ever eaten.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Haifisch posted:

On top of it loving up your lungs, you'll look completely loving ridiculous using it:

just drink the loving booze with your mouth

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

this is high grade AFP

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You can order the trashcan nachos from goldbelly for $70

I love Goldbelly.

Yes, I would like to spend $texas for you to mail me a three day old pile of nachos, a type of food which is good for approximately ten minutes after it is made.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I think it comes in a bunch of separate bags so you have to also make the nachos yourself

I'd love a price comparison between Goldbelly and making it yourself. It's fuckin' nachos, it can't be that complicated.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

$20 maybe from the store just buying whatever queso and BBQ sauce they have.

I'm going to assume the nachos involve all 19 ounces of BBQ sauce.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would be so loving pissed if I spent $100 on mail nachos and the containers leaked.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eels are great so the jellied is the questionable part.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

as a grad student had a horrible time looking for testicles and never could find any,

:same:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Aren't raw potatoes poisonous

All potatoes are slightly poisonous and cooking doesn't really change it much. But unless you're intentionally eating a ton of green potatoes it's unlikely to have any effect.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Only if they're green I think

Green ones have higher solanine levels but all potatoes have a bit. Green ones are still not dangerous unless you eat a bunch though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They're not shishitos but yes, that's a drinking game there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay it's terrible in almost every way, but $2.99? That's a good value.

Why is the ghost of my dad posting here

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

E: is the clear sauce corn syrup?

Or rice syrup. Same horrible results, anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Now we're talking Korean.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Alhazred posted:

I always find it a bit weird that americans can't eat raw eggs while in Norway we a have dessert based on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogel_mogel

You can eat raw eggs in the US. The government recommends you don't eat anything raw because it increases the risk of food poisoning which, no poo poo, of course it does. Doesn't mean it's likely. I have a carton of eggs in the fridge at all times just for use in cocktails.

I do like when countries convince themselves they're special though. Chicken sashimi is popular in Japan, Japanese people believe there's something special about chickens in Japan so they're safe to eat raw. You'll never guess what the second most common cause of food poisoning in Japan is! It's raw chicken.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Japan is like this about a lot of things though. One time a girl I was talking to told me that no poo poo, Japan is unique and special amongst countries because it has FOUR DISTINCT SEASONS over the course of the year.

Only one time?

Also everyone knows Korea is the only place with four distinct seasons. :rolleyes:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Yeah, probably more than just once.

Another thing Japan loves - long form propaganda commercials espousing some weird food beliefs.

Eg- eating sour Japanese pickled plums keeps you from getting a cold because mysterious reasons

I love watching NHK World shows and waiting for the wild bullshit claims. The food ones always have a bunch but most of the shows will throw in something just nuts.

Also the specific claims that are not specific at all, like nearly every food show at some point someone will explain that the food here in Nowhere Village is unique because "we have both the mountains and the sea", an environment unknown anywhere else in Japan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah konnyaku has a very weird smell/taste that you get rid of by boiling it before adding it to whatever. There's also the grey stuff which has some kind of flavoring added, I think it's a seaweed.

Plant based rice, finally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

People in China are also happy to just kind of gnaw on inedible stuff too. My students were constantly munching on bags of like chicken spines and ribcages in a chili sauce.

Chicken feet are like that too, there's really nothing to eat on them so you're just chewing saucy cartilage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've lived in a couple midwestern states and I never saw that. I wanted to blame it on Ohio, but that chili doesn't look very Ohioan :iiam:

It's a Nebraska thing, not midwest.

That is what generic chili looks like in Ohio though.