Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a game kickstarted by (formerly) Russian developer Owlcat games. (They have since pulled up stakes and moved to Cyprus.) It launched in September of 2021 and was pretty well received. It's an old school CRPG, in the style of Baldur's Gate, but for modern times. A good friend gave me a copy as a gift back in March and after a relatively rocky start, I wound up enjoying it quite a lot. We're only halfway through the year, and it's already made the top of my personal Game of the Year list.

Doing a LP of it was something of a pipe dream, but my extremely old PC meant that playing it was a struggle. Actually recording gameplay would have melted what was left of my ancient processor into unusable slag. That has since changed. Thanks to the Crypto market crashing, prices on PC parts went down a lot. I am now in possession of a fairly modern system with a friggin' 3060 powering it. No longer do I have to mess with Fraps and recording 200 GB+ AVI files, I can just tell Shadowplay to record while I play. So my little pipe dream quickly became a reality.

What knowledge do you have about Pathfinder?

Almost nothing! Before March, I had never even played anything Pathfinder-related before. And while I have since learned enough that I don't have to consult my generous friends on every build I make, I'm not what you would call an expert. This is not going to be a run that shows off Brutal Unfair difficulty. I do not possess, nor do I want, the knowledge that it would take to pull off that sort of chicanery. Thanks to Owlcat letting you fine tune your desired difficulty to what feels best for you, I'm going to put the difficulty somewhere between Story and Casual and have a nice, relaxed play through while showing off the pretty decent story.

So feel free to correct me on whatever I get wrong. I run a lot of what I write by other folks, but sometimes they aren't available because the hours I keep are, at best, chaotic. And sometimes I'm just flat out wrong about things. It happens a lot! Just don't be a dick about it, yeah?

Are you using mods?

Yep! To keep the OP relatively clean, I'll put the mods in a second, separate, post. But yes, I'm using 20 mods, most of them are quality of life changes or additive things.

Spoiler Policy?

The game's not even a year old, nor does its Enhanced Edition even exist yet. A lot of people haven't played this yet. But if you're one of the few who have, just use spoiler tags judiciously. And don't be That Guy who wants to talk about the ending before we even start Act 1.

About the LP

This is going to be a single run through the game. During my first time playing, the save file clocked in upwards of 120 hours. Put simply, there's just no way I will have the ability to do multiple runs without burning out. I've recorded the first couple of updates with a particular character, and after we get through those, you guys will vote on how we progress from there and with whom.

Updates:

Prologue: Trapped in the Darkness

#1 - City Day in Kenabres
#2 - Caverns Under Kenabres
#3 - Caverns Under Kenabres Part 2 (Memories of an Angel)
#4 - Neathholm
#5 - Shield Maze
#6 - Shield Maze Part 2

Act 1: The Wardstone Legacy

#7 - The Gray Garrison
#8 - The Defender's Heart Part 1
#9 - The Defender's Heart Part 2
#10 - The Defender's Heart Part 3
#11 - The Tower of Estrod
#12 - Beneath the Tower of Estrod
#13 - Ancientries and Wonders Shop
#14 - Market Square Part 1
#15 - Market Square Part 2 (Memories of an Aeon)
#16 - Market Square Part 3
#17 - Market Square Part 4

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Dramatis Personae

Party Members

Lisbeth

A half elf ninja who showed up in Kenabres with a mysterious wound on her chest. After getting knocked into the caverns beneath Kenabres, she rounded up a group of survivors and led them back to the surface, through an ancient maze full of demon worshipping cultists.

Seelah

"It is unusual to find so much cheer in a person with such a dark past. And strange to see a former thief and a street urchin wearing the shining armor of Iomedae's paladin. This young woman has forged her faith from the pain of her losses, and her thirst for justice and redemption. She has managed to preserve her compassion and kindness underneath her steel armor. Will this become Seelah's weakness, leading her to ultimate ruin?"

Camellia

"Camellia has both youth and talent in her favor. She tirelessly fights demons and cultists alike, but prefers to keep her distance from her fellow warriors. It's hard to tell if this is the arrogance inherent to some people of noble birth, or if she has another reason for keeping her companions at arm's length."

Wenduag

"The deadly and cunning huntress from the mongrel tribe left her home to travel to the surface with her new commander. She inhabited a harsh and brutal world where the weak inevitably became prey for the strong. So she chose to be strong. Is there anything in the world she wouldn't do in her quest for power, or will survival always remain her primary instinct?"

Woljif

"As the descendants of demons, tieflings are not the most respected or trusted of Mendev's citizens, to put it mildly. However, a few minutes in conversation with Woljif is enough to see that it isn't prejudice working against this particular tiefling — it is his puddle-deep personality, his membership of one of Mendev's biggest thief gangs, and his chronic inability to stick to anything, even his own principles. Woljif sees Lisbeth purely as a convenient way to solve a few of his problems. At least, for now."

Zenic
Kiyomi

"Mercenaries are common on Golarion. Some become mercenaries to travel the world and find a decent lot in life, others for gold or the thrill of battle. In any case, a sellsword is a dependable ally able to provide help in battling the many dangers of the Worldwound."

Important NPCs

Prelate Hulrun

Inquisitor and governor of Kenabres. He tried to heal Lisbeth in the opening, but eventually called for the help of Terendelev. Hasn't been seen since.

Terendelev, the Silver Dragon

Guardian of Kenabres. She tried to heal Lisbeth's wound with her magics, and made promises to help further. Then Deskari invaded her city and cut her head clean off.

Deskari, Lord of Locusts

An extremely powerful demon lord. He invaded Kenabres, destroyed most of the city, and killed its guardian. Having accomplished that, he left.

Anevia Tirabade

Irabeth's wife and member of the Eagle Watch. She's a talented archer and a skilled rogue, serving as the head of intelligence for the Eagle Watch.

Lann

Wanted to come with Lisbeth on her journey, but she preferred Wenduag over him. He got very bitter over this fact and fled from the Shield Maze and has not been seen since.

Chief Sull

The chief of the mongrels who live in the caverns beneath Kenabres. Thanks to Lisbeth's efforts, he has banished Lann from his tribe. He is also taking care of some youths from his tribe who had their bodies corrupted by the demon, Savamelekh.

Horgus Gwerm

A bit of a dick, but appears to have a hidden heart of gold. He anonymously donates money and resources to the crusaders protecting Kenabres to ensure his own safety. He also repeatedly pays Lisbeth large sums of cash to act as his personal bodyguard.

Irabeth Tirabade

Paladin of Iomedae and head of the Eagle Watch. She's Anevia's wife and is, currently, the person in charge of resistance efforts in Kenabres.

Staunton Vhane

A dwarf who serves in the Condemned, a unit made up of criminals who are serving in the army as a form of penance. In the past, he was personally responsible for the fall of Drezen and the loss of Iomedae's banner, the Sword of Valor. Especially hates Minagho, the demon who he claims caused his downfall.

Minagho

A high ranking lilitu who is blamed for both the fall of Drezen, and a massacre in Kenabres several decades ago. She is the demon in charge of the city, and is working to subvert the wardstones.

Forn Autumn Haze

An elf who has been tasked with killing a deskarite and suspected drow, Kaylessa.

Jernaugh

A priest of Erastil who is waiting for the liberation of Kenabres so he can travel to a small village, Chilly Creek.

Hilor

The guy who offers retraining and mercenary contracts. He's also a member of the Pathfinder society, and his daughter was killed by a demon called the Spinner of Nightmares.

List of Mods

In alphabetical order (along with a brief description)...

Brawler Class - Adds a class (and archetypes) that focuses on unarmed combat without tying you to Lawful like monk does
Bubble Buffs - Lets you buff your entire party with a single button
Buy Material Components - Lets you cast spells even if you don't have the spell components on hand. Instead it just costs you the market value of the component
Cleaner - Reduces save file bloat by cleaning up unnecessary bodies when you leave a map.
Combat Relief - Lets you skip random encounters
CompanionRespec - While a respec system exists in the game, this lets you fully respec your companions. So Nenio no longer has to be tied to Scroll Savant if you want to take her in a different direction
Enhanced Inventory - Adds a search and better filter options to the inventory
GreatRadiance - Changes the legendary weapon Radiance into a different class of weapon because not everyone can use longswords
Lichfix 1.3+ Rework - Various fixes for the Lich mythic path
Microscopic Content Expansion - Some minor quality of life things by the TabletopTweaks guys, including a fix to make Radiance properly update to its final form
More Relic Info - Lets you actually see what the relics will become without having to go to the (completely empty and worthless) associated fextralife pages.
Ninja Class - Lets you play as a ninja! We'll be doing the first couple of updates as one
Puzzle Skip - If you've played the game, you understand exactly why I have this mod and are nodding along sagely. If not, you will learn. Oh how you will learn.
Scaling Cantrips - Adds some feats that let cantrips scale with your primary spellcasting stat. The mod page claims they top out at a little less than what magic missile can do at its top end
Spears Sorcerous Sundries - Adds a bunch of magic items from Kingmaker into the game. Also by the Tabletop Tweaks crew.
Tabletop Tweaks Base - The actual tabletop tweaks mod. This adds a bunch of tabletop rules into the game. These can be enabled or disabled on an individual basis. Most of them are pretty nice, though.
Tabletop Tweaks Core - This makes the entire Tabletop Tweaks suite work. All of them have this as a dependency.
Tome of the Firebird - The last of the Tabletop Tweaks crew. This adds some new spells in that we can potentially play with
Toybox - The big one. Toybox is basically the developer console in mod form. It adds so many quality of life features that it's basically mandatory. It also allows you to further tweak the difficulty (up or down!) if that sort of thing interests you.
Weapon Focus+ - In the base game, weapon feats apply to only individual weapons. This makes them apply to entire groups instead.

Most of these, I'm sure you'll agree, are quality of life additions or are additive to the experience. Nobody likes the puzzles in this game, nor does anyone think stopping every 5 steps for yet another random encounter is worthwhile gameplay.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 4, 2022

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Dmitry V. Silantyev - Wrath Of The Righteous Main Theme

Hello and welcome to Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Normally I'd show you the main menu here, but it has a shot of your most recent saved game right in the middle left of the screen, and that's kind of a spoilery location. So instead, have the first thing you see when you hit New Game!

I don't own either of the DLC packs, nor am I especially inclined to grab them. Inevitable Excess is a super endgame DLC that happens concurrent with the Point of No Return approximately 120 hours in. Through the Ashes is something closer to survival horror in an isometric CRPG, and it happens during the events of Act 1. The friend who bought the game for me assures me they're both good, but I'm happy enough with just the super long base campaign.

If you can't read the text because it's too tiny, never fear! I found the localization file buried in the game's files, so I have a complete text dump of every word in this incredibly wordy game. The text says...

"Join the struggle against the Worldwound, the epic war between Golarion and the Abyss that has raged for more than a hundred years. Up to now, the crusader armies have barely managed to curb the overwhelming enemy forces, but not for much longer - the demon lords are preparing to strike a decisive blow. You will have to harness mythic powers, take command of the Fifth Crusade, and lead it against the demonic hordes."

That sounds like a pretty severe destiny, so let's not leave it waiting any longer than we have to!

The next page lets us set up the difficulty. I said it in the OP, but this is not going to be a skillful run of the game where I show off Brutal Unfair and how you have to game the system to make it work. Before March of this year, I had never played a Pathfinder game in my life. I barely knew how to make a character. And while I've somewhat mitigated that, I'm still not the gal to show all that off. Instead, this is going to be mechanics lite, and will instead focus on the game's story, which is pretty good.

So to that end, I'm making the game easier in some respects...

• Enemy crits are on, but are weak
  • Being lowered to 0 HP just KOs a character instead of killing them outright, and dead characters revive after combat ends
  • Resting removes most negative effects
  • Most (but not all, loving Cultist Conjurers) CC effects will end when combat does
  • Auto level up is off (I know it says Companions, but I will fix that)
  • Enemies are "moderately weaker" (I don't know what that means specifically, but it's the debuff enemies get on the Normal Difficulty)
  • Enemy damage to the party is cut in half
  • To compensate for this, I have enabled the mode that adds more of them to fight
  • Travel speed is not affected by carry weight. (In fact, I'm disabling carry weight entirely, but that will have to wait until we get in game and I can access the Toybox)
  • Weather effects on the party are minimal
  • Respecs are allowed!
  • Crusade difficulty is as low as I can put it (Crusades are a lovely HOMM clone)
  • Crusade automatic mode is off because I actually want a good ending
  • All companions receive experience instead of only ones in the active party
  • Experience from skill checks is given to the whole party
  • I can have multiple save files.
  • I can actually see the HUD

The next page has us selecting from a list of characters or making our own. I'll just go ahead and make a custom character. After conferring with Yapping Eevee, who I was talking to at the time, we've decided I'm gonna show off the first couple updates with...

Lisbeth, the Half-Elf Ninja. She's really good at stabbing things. I know this looks like a lot, but the important takeaways are below. If you don't care, just skip to the next picture.

STR: 8 (-1 bonus) (How hard you hit)
DEX: 19 (+4 bonus) (How often you hit)
CON: 12 (+1 bonus) (How healthy you are)
INT: 12 (+1 bonus) (Book learning)
WIS: 14 (+2 bonus) (Common sense)
CHA: 14 (+2 bonus) (Force of personality)

Going by the ability scores page on PFSRD, we can infer the following things about Lisbeth:

She is not especially strong, and has trouble moving heavy objects.
She is light on her feet and can hit small objects from a distance.
She can take a couple hits before being knocked out.
She is quick to pick up new ideas.
If a situation is wrong somehow, she will get a gut feeling about it.
She is an interesting person who always knows what to say.

From a mechanical standpoint, her stats are fairly well balanced. Low strength doesn't really matter for rogues (or ninjas) because a feat she gets by default lets her put her DEX bonus to damage rolls, instead of STR. Constitution is needed for health. You should almost never make CON your dump stat unless you know what you're doing. Intelligence doesn't really matter for non-casters outside of getting skill points to distribute. A score of 12 lets us distribute 4 or 5 each level, which is more than enough. Wisdom governs saving throws and perception, and we're gonna need a fair few of both of those across the game. Finally, as the main character, we'll be doing a lot of chattering. So CHA is important in that regard.

TeeQueue posted:

Also a side note: while this is true eventually, rogues don’t get to add DEX to damage rolls until level 3. At level 1 it only replaces their STR on attack rolls—our ninja buddy will be a bit lacking on melee damage until they grow a bit.

Moving on to her skills...

Athletics: -1 (Pure strength, climbing, swimming, etc.)
Mobility: +8 (Acrobatics and movement)
Trickery: +11 (Lock picking, subterfuge)
Stealth: +12 (Remaining unseen)
Knowledge (Arcana): +1 (Knowledge about magical things. This is used to identify items.)
Knowledge (World): +1 (Knowledge about the world)
Lore (Nature): +2 (Information about the natural world)
Lore (Religion): +2 (Information about religion)
Perception: +8 (Seeing the hidden, also used in conversations to see if someone is lying)
Persuasion: +8 (Convincing other people to come around to your way of thinking)
Use Magic Device: +6 (Use wands, read scrolls)

As the main character, Persuasion is probably most important because there are some conversations you have without other party members present. Being able to use persuasion in those is handy. Otherwise, she's really good at ninja things, and okay at being perceptive. I tagged UMD because it was a skill she had access to and I had a spare skill point that needed to be spent. Seriously. Lisbeth's race bonus, background, and level 1 feat all give bonuses to stealth, because it's kind of important all throughout the game.

Finally, Lisbeth is a Chaotic Neutral atheist. I know CN is the meme alignment with good reason, but I'm choosing to interpret her look on life as "I'm here for a good time, not a long time." Owlcat, the developers, have written the game with the view that Chaotic alignments are all about freedom, which works well enough for me. If I'm gonna be honest, she's probably gonna drift Chaotic Good during the course of the game, which is also fine with me. She's not a dick, she's just looking to be entertained. (Also while there are a lot of evil prompts in the game, most of them are generic *kicks puppies* dumbassery. That makes it difficult to maintain neutrality when the good prompts are all being nice. To maintain neutrality, you'd have to be the embodiment of :geno: )

Also atheism, in a world where the gods are Very Real, is less "the gods aren't real" and more "the gods don't care." There are a lot of smug atheist prompts in the game.

Putting this here so the people that skipped all my words about my Chaotic Neutral Elf Rogue can join the rest of you who I'm sure are already composing a list of corrections. (Please do, actually. I don't mind being corrected if it's in a nice fashion! And that sort of stuff usually spurs friendly discussion.)

The game opens up on a festival!

That's us being carried around on the stretcher. Not the most auspicious of starts to an epic tale.

Guard: "Make way! Coming through! Fetch a healer, quick!"

There are a billion characters in this game who don't have a portrait, and because it's isometric I can't see if they're a human or half-elf at a glance. So I'm not even gonna try. So just get used to seeing some weird conversations between a bold name and a portrait.

The guards place the stretcher down off to the side of the festival square.

"Hey, somebody! We got a wounded fighter! Can we get a healer over here?"
"My, my, would you look at this? But why would you drag a wounded fighter into the middle of the festival square? Couldn't she be carted off somewhere else, like... oh I don't know... an infirmary? Or an accommodating ditch?"

An armored man walks up.

Certain words come with a purple hyperlink like the image above. Also the narration is not mine, it's the game's. You can tell because it's better written written in second person.

Those purple links pull up encyclopedia entries for the associated words. I'll add new ones at the end of each update to keep the pace going. You can probably guess what a demon is anyway. Kenabres is the city that the festival is happening in. So this guard found us barely clinging to life after a demon attack outside the city.

"The walls, you say? The enemy doesn't usually stray so close to the city. We must fortify the defenses... And you - hold fast, don't die, we'll see you right! We'll get you patched up now. But first - you there, guard, take her weapons: bearing arms is not permitted during the festival. Wounded or not, everyone must abide by the rules. She can get her things back after the festival."

A guard comes to relieve us of our weapons.

"Oh Inheritor, leader of our troops, the sharpened edge of our blades and the unyielding strength of our armor. Iomedae, I beseech you, grant your mercy, heal her wounds." The magic envelops you, but your pain lessens only slightly.

Restoration posted:

This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it also dispels temporary negative levels or one permanent negative level. If this spell is used to dispel a permanent negative level, it has a material component of diamond dust worth 1,000 gp. This spell cannot be used to dispel more than one permanent negative level possessed by a target in a 1-week period.

Restoration cures all temporary ability damage, and it restores all points permanently drained from a single ability score (your choice if more than one is drained). It also eliminates any fatigue or exhaustion suffered by the target.

[Grit your teeth in silence]
"My powers are not enough here. Someone call for Terendelev! You there! Yes, you - stop dithering and gawping and make yourself useful - go and get Terendelev!"
"Prelate." The lady raises her head in an affectation of surprise. "Surely there is somebody else here better suited to running errands."
"I'll get her. Terendelev! Has anyone seen Terendelev?"

The excitable woman runs straight off at top speed through the crowd.

"Be quick about it, before it's too late!" The old man leans over you. "Now, who are you? I don't remember seeing you before, and I have an excellent memory for faces."
"I'm Lisbeth."
"That's the first I've heard of that name. Who are you then? What's your business in the city?"

Seelah comes back with a woman in silver armor.

Terendelev: "My dear Prelate, please - for the sake of the festivities, stop interrogating this poor woman. She has been through enough already. Go on, I'll take care of her."
"Hmph! All right, as you wish. You are our protector, and a dragon at that, so I shall defer to your wisdom. But be on your guard: I've been informed she was wounded near Kenabres - that means the demons are prowling just outside the walls. And the city is crawling with their spies! Others may be able to relax on this holiday, but not you or I - not the defenders of the city!" Muttering discontentedly, the old man walks off."
Terendelev: A beautiful silver-haired woman leans over you. She seems ageless, her face wholly unlined, but centuries-old sadness gleams in her eyes. "Pry loose the grudging grip of pain. Cast off the veil of suffering flesh. Let light and life go forth in triumph to repel the skulking shade of death." The longer she speaks, the stronger her voice becomes. "There."

Restoration, Greater posted:

This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it dispels all permanent and temporary negative levels afflicting the healed creature. Greater restoration also dispels all magical effects penalizing the creature’s abilities, cures all temporary ability damage, and restores all points permanently drained from all ability scores. It also eliminates fatigue and exhaustion, and removes all forms of insanity, confusion, and similar mental effects.

Yes, she used the greater version of the spell Hulrun cast on us. Restoration is a level 4 Inquisitor spell (Hulrun is an Inquisitor, and Governor of the city.) While Restoration, Greater is a level 7 spell. It does not actually heal any damage you've taken.

I saw at least one other LP do this and thought it was a smart idea. Conversations are one of the big draws for the game because it's a CRPG in the old style. And there's a lot of topics to cover. So I'm going to put line breaks between disparate topics so you can tell they're not related.

"Thank you for healing me."
Terendelev: "I accept your thanks. But my work is not yet done."

"Who are you?"
Terendelev: "My name is Terendelev. I am the protector of this city."

"Are you really a dragon?"
Terendelev: "You don't believe me? Perhaps I should retake my true form and engulf this square with my icy breath to win your trust?" The woman lets out a melodious laugh. "Pay no mind to my current guise - I appear this way when I walk among the people. I would hamper the festivities if I tried to attend in my true form."

"What happened to me?"
Terendelev: "I do not know yet - and that troubles me. I am not entirely sure what the demons did to you. This wound is no ordinary injury, and it was inflicted by no ordinary weapon. I have rid you of your pain and restored your strength, but only time will allow you to heal fully."

"Can I go?"
Terendelev: "Certainly, but be careful. I have managed to get you back on your feet - but I have not healed you fully. Alas, sooner or later your pain will return. But do not be discouraged. You will recover, I promise you that. Tomorrow, come to the cathedral and say that you are expected by Terendelev, protector of Kenabres. We will find a way to help you. But for now, put this out of your mind and enjoy the festival - they are all too rare in this time of war, and merriment is one of the best medicines."

The conversation (and cutscene) ends and we're given control for the first time! :toot: We also get a journal update up at the top of the screen, which is what I've highlighted here. So let's take a look at it.

New quests/objectives are highlighted with a yellow exclamation mark.

Let's take a look around and get our bearings. There's a nameless guard and a masked fellow over by one of the tents. If we click on them...

:raise: One of these things is not like the others. The masked dude speaking in riddles walks off and eventually vanishes. Sure, okay.

Moving on...

"So many happy faces! Days like this keep our hope alive."

"Grubby peasants and their grubby diversions. Why did I even bother coming?"

"Yes, yes, happy city day. And now, step away, please. I do not wish for Horgus Gwerm to be seen next to... you."

Most folks are celebratory, but some are assholes like Camellia and Horgus.

Over in this corner is a young half-elf girl holding court.

"Happy city day, good people! Spare a coin for a hungry belly..."

The guy asking for a kiss is bent over, drunk as he can possibly be.

Over here on the opposite side of the square from where we started, we find the guy who called for us to be thrown into a ditch.

Everyone from the center up on the image is leaving with him. I guess they want to see what goes on in his mansion.

Hulrun and Terendelev are in the middle of the square.

"A strange wound... Cursed, perhaps?"
Terendelev: "This will ease your suffering."

Off in the upper right of the screen, past where Daeran walked off, we find another woman from the intro cutscene.

"Everybody's letting their hair down. Everybody's drinking, havin' a good time... But the demons' spies never let up, so that means no fun for me!"

She says this while drinking.

Just past her at the bar we can find the last familiar face.

"How are you? Did Terendelev help you?"
Jannah Aldori: "I've been a crusader five whole days already, and I love it! The future's going to be grand indeed..."
Curl: "They should let us off to enjoy the festivities. Instead we're digging ditches and training day in, day out..."

Right next to the trio getting drunk, we can find a hand icon. This means "use." Well, a drink does sound pretty good, so...

I love this game's pop-up text.

Now let's see about finishing the other two objectives. We need to throw a dart and smack a mannequin.

Aravashnial: "I have a feeling something terrible is going to happen... As usual..."

Ramien: "On days like this, it's as if the war doesn't even exist. Desna, grant us peace!"

Ramien is an important character in one of the game's many paths, while Aravashnial is not. He, however, was a very important character in the Adventure Path this game is based on. (Adventure Paths are the Pathfinder term for pre-written modules that tell a complete story. Like the Tomb of Horrors, of D&D fame.) So it's neat to see the game give a little nod to what came before.

Not too far away from the bar, we find another interact point. This looks like the dreaded mannequin.

However, as soon as everyone finishes clapping for us, we run into a little snag. A huge explosion rocks the city.

A very deep, very evil voice calls out over the celebrations while demons start teleporting in out of nowhere.

Up in the north of the square, Terendelev is giving the demons hell.

Flame Strike posted:

A flame strike evokes a vertical column of divine fire. The spell deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.

Polar Ray posted:

A blue-white ray of freezing air and ice springs from your hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to deal damage to a target. The ray deals 1d6 points of cold damage per caster level (maximum 25d6) and 1d4 points of Dexterity drain.

She's apparently a dragon, so I imagine those spells are rolling on the high end of that scale.

As if on cue, Deskari appears in the skies above the city.

And Terendelev reveals her full silver draconic glory!

That scythe has a spiked end.

So Terendelev is pretty badly hurt right out the gate.

Oh... Never mind. That's Terendelev's head off in the top of the image.

"Let the feast begin."

With the city in chaos, Lisbeth finds herself hiding behind a table. A familiar halfling runs up to her.

Guard: "Deskari's here! Deskari himself! Blimey! One minute we had a dragon, the next - bam! She was gone!" The halfling's armor is splashed with blood and he is armed to the teeth, with a sword, a blade, and a hatchet on his belt, and a crossbow on his back. His voice sounds familiar to you. "What're you gonna do - fight or flee? If fleeing's your plan, let me help you out, I've got a scroll here with a good protective spell!"

"I've seen you somewhere before."
Guard: "Yeah, you have - you owe me your life! I'm the one who found you outside the walls and brought you inside to be healed." He looks you over. "I see they've patched you up. Good thing they did it before the attack, or else you'd have been done for."

"Who is Deskari?"
Guard: "You must have got a good drubbin' round the head, friend! Deskari's a demon lord! The most fearsome enemy of all crusaders, and all living things, come to think of it!"

"What's the situation in the city?"
Guard: "Who knows! Everything's on fire, crashin' down around our ears, the place is crawling with demons... Looks like a whole army attacked the city. We're sitting ducks!"

"Care to lend me a weapon? I'll try to fight the demons."
Guard: "Sure thing! Here, take this." The halfling holds out the crossbow. "Best crossbow I've got! The person who made it said it could pierce the hide of a demon lord, even!"

Items received: Light Crossbow

Guard: "Good luck! Try not to get eaten now..." The halfling's words are drowned out by a terrible rumbling and the rustling of countless tiny wings."

If we're gonna go down, may as well go down swinging at the biggest, baddest motherfucker in the room. Let's put that halfling's claim to the test...

That weird red bolt came from our crossbow.

I'll be damned, it worked!

"A mortal gnat snaps its jaws at the lord of locusts."

Welp. We pissed him off and now we have his undivided attention.

He rears his scythe back...

"Behold, Iomedae - behold the death I sow."

He split the earth in two with a single strike.

And the aftershocks from the attack leave us reeling...

Encyclopedia Golarionnica

Demons
Kenabres
Iomedae
Deskari
Demon Lords

City Day Highlights

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 6, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
You absolute madperson, you’re really doing it. :allears:

I played the hell out of kingmaker and I started this one too but got… distracted by other things.

Looking forward to seeing what pathfindery shenanigans you get up to!

quote:

Low strength doesn't really matter for rogues (or ninjas) because a feat she gets by default lets her put her DEX bonus to damage, instead of STR.

Also a side note: while this is true eventually, rogues don’t get to add DEX to damage rolls until level 3. At level 1 it only replaces their STR on attack rolls—our ninja buddy will be a bit lacking on melee damage until they grow a bit.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

TeeQueue posted:

You absolute madperson, you’re really doing it. :allears:

I played the hell out of kingmaker and I started this one too but got… distracted by other things.

Looking forward to seeing what pathfindery shenanigans you get up to!

Oop, good catch. A very important distinction!

EDIT: And edited it into the update!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 5, 2022

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ground floor, woo :munch:

this looks like it's going to go places, I'm interested

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Best of luck op, I spent about 50h in this at launch and even with the HoMM mode disabled I had to stop because of bugs ruining my experience. I guess now most of them have been streamlined...my poor cavalier was stopping their charges on random stones way too often :(

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I put 130 hours into my run of this game and still have a chapter or two left. Burned out so probably won't finish :v:

It's quite good though. I didn't mind the HOMM section because a mage general can win every battle with a single spell basically

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I thought that it was rather neat that they started by having the town protected by an openly-admitted silver dragon, then they promptly killed her. Clumsy way to raise the stakes.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 5, 2022

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Good to see someone play this. Nearly halfway through Act 1 myself, but had to stop because computer was crap. Will probably restart when I get back to the game. Playing a Dhampire Magus Sword Saint.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Good luck with this LP. I hope to see it go well. Same for your previous LPs I followed that I miss.

I find P:WotR more fun to watch than actually play. The number of mods required, lots of bugs, hardware issues, overdone characters, heavy reliance on random dice rolls, and some other things I won't spoil were my main problems. Regardless, I would like to see a screenshot LP of this game (Kingmaker too, that was the previous entry in the series), so I will watch this thread.

Ninja? Gaaa! :D

Good plan for the difficulty. I usually try to do the same.

Stealth, Trickery, stabbing, Persuasion, Perception- all important skills for ninjas.

Chaotic Good Atheist. That sounds like me! :)

There are many characters in this game who should have had portraits but don't. I'm sure many share this opinion. Terendelev is an example.

[places Hulrun, Camellia, Horgus, and Daeran on stab list]

[puts Deskari on stab list near top]

Hope to see another update soon!

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Been really keen to see someone LP this. I just finished my first playthrough last month and I'm already on my second. It's a really good time. I've yet to install any mods because I haven't seen any that feel necessary. Outside of some minor bugs there's nothing I think needs to be changed, though I am of course very excited for whatever changes the Definitive Edition will bring.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Good luck! gets popcorn

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

WotR has really great voice acting, I hope you'll be able to show off samples of it for certain characters at some point without it being a huge hassle. There's some primo "I could just listen to them read from the dictionary and be entertained" tier voice talent for some of them.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Been interested in this for a while now. I might still play this on my own, purely to pick my own character and path that nobody else is doing in an LP.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
WoR is a really good game, imho a big improvement over Kingmaker. I'm glad to see somebody LPing it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RIP Dragon Friend

:smith:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Oh wow, this is more of a response to the thread than I expected. I'm especially excited to see so many people who are either new to the game, or haven't seen much of it yet. This's gonna be a lot of fun!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

WotR has really great voice acting, I hope you'll be able to show off samples of it for certain characters at some point without it being a huge hassle. There's some primo "I could just listen to them read from the dictionary and be entertained" tier voice talent for some of them.

Banging out some clips of especially cool moments shouldn't be a problem. Gimme a few and I'll try to get one made that features both the intro (showing us a lot of character voices) as well as Deskari appearing.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I always found the beginning of this comical, for how trite the dragon's death is.

Wrath of the Righteous is a game that I certainly have a lot of complicated feelings for, which generally prevents me from playing the game in as much detail as I'd like. All the same, I'm glad it exists.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Banging out some clips of especially cool moments shouldn't be a problem. Gimme a few and I'll try to get one made that features both the intro (showing us a lot of character voices) as well as Deskari appearing.

This took longer than I would have liked, but here's the voice acting in this update. I won't show every instance of it in the game after this, but I'll try to capture really cool moments.

Update 1 Highlights

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's... quite an undertaking. I beat this without modding and while it's mostly been fun, it's a really rough experience at times even putting aside the ridiculous length. Looking forward to see how it pans out!

On a bit of the side note, could we get some more info on the ninja class?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Literally bought this game a week or so ago and haven't stopped playing it. Playing a Human, Chaotic Evil, Armored Hulk who worships Rovagug, the universally hated god of destruction. And its been fun throwing everything off the rails in the name of ultraviolence.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

On a bit of the side note, could we get some more info on the ninja class?

The short version is it's a hybrid of Rogue and Monk. It gets access to Ki abilities, but they're all ninja-themed. They get innate proficiency with most of the "far eastern" weapons like the kama, nunchucks, katanas, etc. They also come with Simple weapons and Light Armor proficiencies.

At level 1 they can spend a single Ki point to get "Acceleration of Form" which is temporary Haste and Displacement (1 round per 2 Ninja levels)

They can also apply poisons a limited number of times per day. Poisons can damage Strength, Constitution, or Dex and... uh...

They also get the standard stacking sneak attack bonuses every other level.

Finally on even levels, they get access to the following tricks: (These are all fueled by Ki)

If you know what the icons mean, you can guess what the "tricks" do. Shadow Clone is Mirror Image, Step Through the Shadows is Dimension Door, Ghost Slayer gives temporary ghost touch, etc

EDIT: If you want to mess with it yourself, the mod is found here: Ninja Class

Though you can't install it with Unity Mod Manager, and have to do the manual method instead.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 6, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a pretty fun class. I like the concept of DnD monks but in most computer adaptations they end up being pretty boring fighter-ish attack automatons, this looks like it mixes the playstyle up quite a bit.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
I used to own the Adventure Path this game was based on and I mostly remember it for having wonky balance and sometimes bizarre writing decisions, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they changed and what they kept here!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

DoubleNegative posted:

If you know what the icons mean, you can guess what the "tricks" do. Shadow Clone is Mirror Image, Step Through the Shadows is Dimension Door, Ghost Slayer gives temporary ghost touch, etc

And Flurry of Stars is Hail SatanAsmodeus! no seriously, that's his unholy symbol. I get that it's a star, but why use that icon?

Chicken Thumbs posted:

I used to own the Adventure Path this game was based on and I mostly remember it for having wonky balance and sometimes bizarre writing decisions, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they changed and what they kept here!

I can imagine there was some balance issues, given it's the only (I think) adventure path to include Pathfinder's Mythic rules, aka "hey kid, wanna become a god?"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Now that you mention it, a ninja really is a monk/rogue mash-up.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

NullBlack posted:

I can imagine there was some balance issues, given it's the only (I think) adventure path to include Pathfinder's Mythic rules, aka "hey kid, wanna become a god?"

This is correct. It's also the only one to go all the way to 20th level in the six books, as the Mythic rules let them pump a lot more EXP into the books as they went.

The balance issues mostly come from the TTRPG Pathfinder Mythic rules being hilariously broken if you know what you're doing even a little bit, something which is decidedly not the case in the computer game.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You could probably drop cha and raise Con higher, you get a lot more out of actually investing in the skill and 12 Con on a rogue is just asking to get splattered.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

This game's power fantasy is my jam but man is 1ed Pathfinder obtrusive. I just wanna play a character I like, not havibg to do poo poo like wearing monk robes and being locked to an alignment.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'm gonna be hella looking forward to following this. I've been wanting to buy and play the game for a while, but money issues.
So yeah, I'll be here for sure.

Also, what classes exist there? If I know my pathfinder (I don't, not really, but I do know 5e), there's probably a draconic sorcerer class or something that can eventually become a literal dragon. I hope there is one.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
There are a ton of base classes and they almost all have 2 - 4 subclasses. Draconic bloodline sorceror is one of them in the game iirc

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Lynneth posted:

I'm gonna be hella looking forward to following this. I've been wanting to buy and play the game for a while, but money issues.
So yeah, I'll be here for sure.

Also, what classes exist there? If I know my pathfinder (I don't, not really, but I do know 5e), there's probably a draconic sorcerer class or something that can eventually become a literal dragon. I hope there is one.

there is a Draconic bloodline for Sorcerers in both the TTRPG and WotR. While it doesn't have the ability to turn into a dragon, it does get the "turn into a dragon" spells for free, at the appropriate levels.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

In the strictest possible sense, there is a way to turn a Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer into a dragon. But it's a little roundabout. Also you can't really do it before the like... 75-80% mark of the game. So it's really a curiosity more than anything else.

Also, once I get through the first couple updates (next one is tomorrow) I'm gonna be putting character choice for the rest of the LP to a vote. I'm gonna be offering a choice between 4 premade characters, as well as opening up the floor for you all to suggest something fun as well. And one of the choices I've prepared is a specialized sorcerer! :science:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I'm just gonna pop in here and say the Lich path was distinctly not puppy kicking chaotic evil and was, in fact, one of the best written things I've ever seen in a video game. It was so good :allears:

Edit: It also let me do some incredibly silly stuff.

Galick fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 7, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
There are multiple ways to get the "turn into a dragon" power in this game. Sorcerer bloodline is one. Another is the Dragon Disciple prestige class. Then there's the Dragonkind spell, which has three levels and is available to all arcane spellcasters. It's the same spell Dragon Disciples and Dragon Bloodline Sorcerers get for free. You can also be a Magus with the Eldritch Scion subtype, which gives you all the powers of a Sorcerer bloodline. One of the party members in Kingmaker had this. And then there's something I won't spoil since DN is nowhere near that part of the game yet. Veterans can probably guess what I'm talking about. it’s Gold Dragon Mythic Path.

But yeah, like DN said, you can't get any of this until you're pretty far in. :(

I look forward to those character vote options. Enjoying the ninja character so far- if I wanted to play this game on PC again, I might even get the mod.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 8, 2022

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Lynneth posted:

Also, what classes exist there?

Got the game open due to working out builds for the companions. There are 25 base classes without mods and each base class has at least 5 archetypes, minor variants on the class that trade some abilities for others. Basics like Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Bard, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, Sorcerer, Monk, and Barbarian are in as well as more unusual ones like Magus, Oracle, Alchemist, Cavalier, Witch, Kineticist, and Inquisitor then there are the hybrid classes, which is like if you fused two classes into one like Arcanist(Wizard and Sorcerer), Slayer(Ranger and Rogue), Hunter(Druid and Ranger), Bloodrager(Barbarian and Sorcerer), Warpriest(Fighter and Cleric), Skald(Barbarian and Bard), and Shaman(Oracle and Witch).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hot dang, this will be an undertaking.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Oh god, this game. I love and hate it at the same time, some parts of it are awesome (music!), some are so loving tedious without cheating your way through 2137 mobs with artificialy inflated AC. Some mythic paths are great, some are an absolute joke. Crusade system isn't nearly as annoying as kingdom management in Kingmaker, but it's still not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

ChaosStar0 posted:

Got the game open due to working out builds for the companions. There are 25 base classes without mods and each base class has at least 5 archetypes, minor variants on the class that trade some abilities for others. Basics like Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Bard, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, Sorcerer, Monk, and Barbarian are in as well as more unusual ones like Magus, Oracle, Alchemist, Cavalier, Witch, Kineticist, and Inquisitor then there are the hybrid classes, which is like if you fused two classes into one like Arcanist(Wizard and Sorcerer), Slayer(Ranger and Rogue), Hunter(Druid and Ranger), Bloodrager(Barbarian and Sorcerer), Warpriest(Fighter and Cleric), Skald(Barbarian and Bard), and Shaman(Oracle and Witch).

Jesus, that's a lot of bloody classes. And they have subtypes? So over a hundred options, at minimum? I'd get decision paralysis if I tried playing.