Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Good luck with this LP. I hope to see it go well. Same for your previous LPs I followed that I miss.

I find P:WotR more fun to watch than actually play. The number of mods required, lots of bugs, hardware issues, overdone characters, heavy reliance on random dice rolls, and some other things I won't spoil were my main problems. Regardless, I would like to see a screenshot LP of this game (Kingmaker too, that was the previous entry in the series), so I will watch this thread.

Ninja? Gaaa! :D

Good plan for the difficulty. I usually try to do the same.

Stealth, Trickery, stabbing, Persuasion, Perception- all important skills for ninjas.

Chaotic Good Atheist. That sounds like me! :)

There are many characters in this game who should have had portraits but don't. I'm sure many share this opinion. Terendelev is an example.

[places Hulrun, Camellia, Horgus, and Daeran on stab list]

[puts Deskari on stab list near top]

Hope to see another update soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
There are multiple ways to get the "turn into a dragon" power in this game. Sorcerer bloodline is one. Another is the Dragon Disciple prestige class. Then there's the Dragonkind spell, which has three levels and is available to all arcane spellcasters. It's the same spell Dragon Disciples and Dragon Bloodline Sorcerers get for free. You can also be a Magus with the Eldritch Scion subtype, which gives you all the powers of a Sorcerer bloodline. One of the party members in Kingmaker had this. And then there's something I won't spoil since DN is nowhere near that part of the game yet. Veterans can probably guess what I'm talking about. it’s Gold Dragon Mythic Path.

But yeah, like DN said, you can't get any of this until you're pretty far in. :(

I look forward to those character vote options. Enjoying the ninja character so far- if I wanted to play this game on PC again, I might even get the mod.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 8, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, decision paralysis is one of the major reasons I quit playing this game. Someone could really exercise their writing muscles with a "Paths Not Taken" series of articles for this LP.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Yeah I just started playing this and ended up going for a Half-Orc standard fighter. Should be simple right? Except the fighter class gets to pick a new feat almost every level and the list of feats has dozens of options.

There’s also a One Feat Per Level mod that works for every class if you want to go really nuts.

I used to have such fun with the Kingmaker mod version of Toy Box. I rolled with an active party of all my characters until it was impossible (the end game missions won’t let you do this), did critical hits with every attack while bad guys missed, you get the idea. I didn’t fully explore Toy Box but it looks even more whacked in some ways.

I think you’re mistaken about how Spontaneous Caster Scroll Copy works, though, DN. Spontaneous Casters are casters who don’t have to memorize their spells such as Bards & Sorcerers. They pick from a list of spells they know on the spot, casting a certain number of spells per day. The trade off is they can use scrolls but not copy them. If, say, your Ice Dragon Blood Sorcerer wants to learn Fireball, he can’t because it’s not in his Bloodline. Unless this mod is on and then it lets him copy the Fireball spell off a scroll and add it to his arsenal same as any standard Wizard can. I think that’s how it’s supposed to work anyway. Wait, someone already handled this. Sorry.

In the Adventure Path it’s the dying dragon that casts Feather Fall on you right before she croaks. How she knows you’re going to need it and how she casts without a head is given a hand wave explanation. I would be surprised if ninjas don’t have a Feather Fall ability anyway (though probably not at first level).

In Kingmaker you could also use NPC portraits for your character. This causes the NPCs to use different portraits and the results can sometimes be amusing.

It can be very tempting to play as an rear end in a top hat in this game. Glad you’re not.

Shurikens aren’t finesse weapons? That doesn’t seem right! Ugh. Also, masterworks are weapons of high quality suitable for enchanting. They get a +1 to hit but not damage. Cold iron means the weapons automatically go through the damage resistance of demons and fey.

I always worry about someone when they say “allow me to introduce myself”. Thanks, Mick Jagger.

In the original adventure the dead half-elf Camellia finds is a Riftwarden and powerful NPC mage ally of your party. I know why they excluded him in the game, but for now it’s another significant change, one of many. The game is very different from the source material if you had not already guessed.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Trust me, romancing Camellia is a trainwreck waiting to happen. But if you're dead set, I wish you luck.

Reign of Winter is probably my favorite Adventure Path, mostly for Part 5. Your party travels dimensions to World War 1, takes on Rasputin and tanks. I would love to see what Owlcat could do with that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m guessing Kiyomi is a cleric of Erastil (god of hunting) and related to someone we’ll meet later. [reads character sheet] Wrong on the first but maybe not on the second.

I’m glad to go with the current majority on this one, mostly because I’m already used to the character and interested in the path. Trickster Lisbeth. Also Wendaug seems more cautious and trustworthy. We don’t really have reason to see her as Evil yet. Deception might piss off Lann, but, hey we’re a ninja. It’s what we do.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 10, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks Lann! You’re so awesome, Lann!

Lann is the only one who thinks he is awesome.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think a horse would be cool too. But dogs are more fun.

Kingmaker has an alignment system that expresses all the various ends of the spectrum specifically. Whether it is faithful as such is a matter of debate. Hence the change in WotR where you only get Good, Evil, Chaos, or Law. This system makes alignment harder to maintain but you always have atonement spells if necessary.

It’s ok to stick with Wendaug but I hope we don’t kill Lann.

I’m surprised Lore Nature isn’t a Class skill for Ninjas, what with the poison and animal themes of some schools. Are there variants of the class?

Throwing Axes makes more sense than Bows with Wendaug’s lines. Claws would make even more sense but she isn’t built for that.

Wolves get innate Trip. Bully adds Bull Rush. That can also be useful. I like Daredevil for the AC bonus.

Cookie is a very Seelah name.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
In the original module on which this part of the game is based, Lann and Wendaug are both named mongrel rangers with similar stats. Lann is introduced as one of a pair aiding an injured comrade on the outskirts of the village (the comrade is the merchant, I think). Wendaug's part is different, I'll get into it more later. Lann has the potential to guide the party, though any expansions beyond that are left up to the GameMaster.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think you mean Radiance is a sword, not a scythe. In most games players who don’t use long swords with their main character will probably give it to Seelah.

Yeah, Wendy is hiding something. That’s not good. Lann will be able to identify the first corrupted mongrel you kill as a missing hunter he knew. But he doesn’t know much beyond that and is as surprised to see cultists as most of the party.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

ChaosStar0 posted:

To me, the Shield Maze is very tough. Most of the early game is tough. I'm still having trouble in the first half of Act 1. Also Since my Magus uses an Estoc, I gave Radiance to Seelah. Being Cold Iron really helps her fight Demons. Really only Me, Seelah, and Camillia do much of anything against Demons, which is most of what I've fought so far. Also went through the Maze with Wendy but chose Lann at the end, cause gently caress Wendy's plans.

Edit: One thing I've noticed is this game is quite Magic heavy as most companions are either Magic or can be built Magic. Seelah, Camillia, Eldritch Scoundrel, Witch, Oracle, Wizard, Cleric, and Ranger are all Magic, and Lann can be built Magic pretty easily. Only Wendy and Hellknight can't be built Magic easily. I only mentioned the classes of the companions we haven't gotten yet, just for added spoiler protection.

You also forgot Ex-Paladin/Ex-Hellknight but he’s optional and who knows if we’re going to get him.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

LukasR23 posted:

2nd Edition has made CC a lot less absurd while still being useful. Having three actions per turn that can be used for different things lets you do a lot more with levels of crowd control, especially now that failing a save isn't just "Okay, you're done, go take a smoke break while we have fun." There's also the Degrees of success system and the general much tighter balancing when it comes to numbers... I could talk about it at length but I'd rather not derail the thread too much. Point is I'm a big fan.

Owlcat-Pathfinder is.. not normal pathfinder. Numbers are heavily inflated to account for the six-man party and all your fun mythic toys, and a lot of statblocks end up somewhat silly. On normal difficulty you can still spec out a wizard to cast "gently caress you, go die" and make people explode, but enemy saving throws are pretty strong so if they're built for whatever save you're targeting odds are it'll fail. You're best off having a healthy balance - I make a point of always having a full divine and arcane caster in my party, and then mixing in a few martials and ranged characters/half casters depending on who I feel like bringing. And Seelah, because having a Paladin in the Demon AP is kind of necessary.

In the original adventure, there are no special Mythic Paths, just one way to power. The game is more awesome in that regard. We also get more named recurring enemies such as Savamelekh.

In the original adventure, the corrupted mongrels are a separate tribe from those helping us. Wendaug is the only named member, and a brief hostile encounter. Other named characters such as Lann, Horgus, and Anevia have expanded roles in the game. Seelah is an official Pathfinder iconic character, while Camellia was created by the game writers. Hosillia is the starter villain for the original adventure, but Savamelakh was created by Owlcat.

I agree that the resting mechanic sucks.

Quasits are among the least of demons, the Abyss equivalent of Imps.

The wound on our chest is also an Owlcat game feature. I would have put it in a less embarrassing place.

Thanks for explaining why I like Wendaug better as a character.

I see Camellia as more “blatant display of arrogant psycho” while being useful enough to tolerate. If you could only hear her combat dialogue… “The world in crimson! The spirits demand your blood!” I have heard enough LPers praise her buffing and rapier skills to know she comes in handy despite this mania.

The character you call “Sir Not Appearing in this game” is one of my favorite rpg jerks. He also has some excellent interaction with Tricksters, including an awesome character ending. Hopefully you meant “interesting sidebar commentator”. He’s not the one man wrecking crew he aspires to be in combat unless heavily modified, so if not for his charming personality he could take a back seat. Didn’t know he leaves Tricksters, though, I heard different. I looked things up at Reddit, also read what people posted while I typed, and learned that he does stick around and gets his cool ending which I’ll mention if DN doesn’t keep him around and we get that far- IF you can pass a difficult Persuasion check. Toybox should help with that.

There is a Mythic Path where everyone leaves you… buzz buzz buzz.

I personally would bring in an Alchemist too. Buffs, grenades, mutations. What’s not to like?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad Sir Naitg will be around after all. :)

I suggest you give potion brewing to more than one character if you can. The character you mentioned might not always be around to do it - he leaves for the latter part of Act 2, then comes back after a side quest in 3 . :(

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Welcome to the team, Mercs! Make yourselves useful!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If for some reason your party is able to take on Minagho here (say, you’ve used Toybox to buff up your levels), you still can’t win the fight. Minagho won’t drop below 1 hit point, and you have to suicide your main character by letting her beat you down to move forward. That’s right, they didn’t even bother to make a proper hopeless boss fight that kills you in a cutscene at some set point. You have to die to move forward. The lack of effort disappointed me, even though I can kind of understand it. Minagho’s mooks can all die no problem in the fight, the fate of them and your allies is irrelevant. Yeah, I tried to win just to see if I could. I was disappointed.

Those who have played Pathfinder Kingmaker, Owlcat’s previous CRPG to this game, might remember Lindsay Sheppard voicing a quite different character in that game. Linzi the Halfling Bard, your first and most loyal companion, sweet, funny, not evil at all. I guess she wanted to broaden her horizons with this game.

Minagho and Staunton’s roles are both expanded and altered in this game from the original adventure path. To say more would be spoilers so I will hold off for now. They are both major characters in the original AP.. So is Irabeth, who hasn’t changed much. We’ll see more of all three in updates to come.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

We're hardly far into this game and I already dislike about every party member/protagonist. I normally don't worry too much about these things, but most everyone is roughing me up like biscuit crumbs in my boxers so far.

I like how they drew the Wardstone, though - it looks very magical/epic/important

If it makes you feel better, I agree with you for the most part. There are some characters ahead, though, about whom I feel different. Maybe you will like them too. I guess we’ll see.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
While we’re on the subject, Wendaug is voiced by Amelia Tyler, who portrayed the main antagonist of Kingmaker.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Players of Kingmaker should remember the Storyteller and Aldori nobles as big plot elements. The Storyteller is also the reason the blind elf from the original adventure path for WotR was killed off, can’t have two of them.

I remember a goblin character from Kingmaker who was great with dual kukris. Lisbeth can emulate Nok-Nok. :)

Areelu Vorlesh is the main antagonist of the original adventure path, Staunton is also a prominent character but he doesn’t show up till act two. His role is expanded here. The Defender’s Heart, Drezen, and the Blackwing Library (named after a certain heroic raven who belongs to the Order of the Stick) are prominent locations pretty much transcribed exactly from the original adventure path.

I think Camellia would turn down Lisbeth’s flirting. She’s straight when it comes to romance. There are more interesting and safe romance options available anyway.

One streamer whose WotR playthrough I watched created a merc to replace Camellia with her exact stats and a different portrait. He called her Not-Camellia. I think his reasoning was similar to yours, but he did get to Act 5 with the actual Camellia before he was forced to get rid of her. I’ll say more if your LP gets that far.

You’re not using Toy Box to help your money gain? Probably unnecessary but still surprising. Horgus can afford it! He’s pretty much cribbed from the source material too, role only slightly expanded.

Pitax was a big deal in Kingmaker. We fought a whole war with them! Cayden is my favorite Golarion god. There’s a test you can take for godhood in the game, Cayden did it while black out drunk!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

There's way too many :words: in this game. :negative:

You ain’t kidding.

Backer quests are a heavily debated subject in this game. Short summary of what a backer quest is for the unaware- the developers set up an online fundraiser where people can pay several thousand dollars and have the side quest they write put into the game. Often these quests aren’t written particularly well, and they have to be completed a certain way for maximum (or in some cases any) rewards. Some fans like them, many others do not. In this day, they are sadly a necessity for many game developers. I will let people form their own opinions of the backer quests in this game. For the most part, I don’t care for them.

Seelah has a great backstory and paladin code.

Hillor’s story will pay off with a chance to help resolve his quest and take down the demon who deprived him of his daughter in Act 5. I think you’re safe ignoring it till then. To whet your interest, there are some surprising twists to the tale. But I don’t think we should talk more about them right now. In retrospect they may not be that surprising.

Is it a requirement that fantasy characters have tragic backstories? Probably. It’s an easy cliche of which to get sick though.

I like Woljif too but agree with your reasoning for benching him. There are better characters ahead.

Relations between humans and elves not poisoned by centuries of mutual hatred. Maybe not these elves & humans….. :D

I think you assigned Lisbeth’s portrait to a couple of Irabeth’s lines.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 30, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If you spare HIM in Kingmaker, he shows up in the final battle to help out, but not more than many other more interesting characters who also show up. So yeah.

Hmm, Camellia doesn’t seem to have a tragic backstory. At least not one other than “noble forced to do something besides enjoy wealth”. Maybe that’s a red flag?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I dunno, such people often think they’re adventurous on behalf of someone else’s tragedy, or they consider their lack of a love life tragic and undeserved. That could count as a tragic backstory too!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think the demon who gets killed by the other demon in the Tower was the main area villain in the original adventure path version of this area.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The console version of the game is supposed to be out next month. Wonder if it will include all dlc as Kingmaker did or if console players will have option to buy later. The computer version I got came with a season pass for all dlc as an option, maybe consoles will get the same?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This game seems unfairly biased towards good parties, at least in this area. Evil? You get an extra battle with the visions and no potions. I hope there are some biased evil areas later to balance the scales.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Same here. And not just cause I miss the thread.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I watched the backer on question play through his own dungeon on YouTube and it was fun. He’s the same backer who created Not-Camellia that I mentioned earlier, incidentally. I may bring him up again if the LP continues. His name is CohhCarnage, if anyone cares to know.

Backer Content can be good, depending on the backer and what the developers do with their ideas. It’s a mixed bag. I personally understand the reasoning for it, but am always ready for it not to turn out that great.

DN- Glad you’re doing better, hope you can get a short update out soon. Short updates are better than none.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m an Order of the Stick fan. I’m used to waiting indefinitely between updates. As long as the story stays good and updates come eventually I’m fine. I’m also accepting of unavoidable difficulties in getting a story out. I’ve gone through so much in my own writing, back when I did write, I can’t begrudge anyone else their own difficulties.

TLDR- echoing previous posts’ advice.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Now that I'm finally playing through this on my own... I've given everyone a level in Cavalier just so they can have a steed to keep up with my triceratops riding half-orc hunter. I haven't regretted this decision yet but I'm sure it's coming.

Yeah, I hear triceratops have size issues. Never played with one personally but just a heads up.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Good to see you again. Best of luck with your goals, there’s still a lot of act 1 left so we won’t hold failure against you.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I said before there are certain characters in this game I enjoy. Ember is one of them. She’s inspiring in a number of ways. Other players seem to like her also, judging by other LPs I’ve watched.

I wonder if we’ll get better rewards down the road for letting Kaylessa live. A +3 longbow this early sounds nice.

The Theater subplot gets more amusing later, depending on your sense of humor that is.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Kingmaker Companions- I was partial to Jaethal (undead elf inquisitor) & Kanerah (tiefling kineticist). Jubilost (gnome alchemist) amused me. Valerie (human fighter) grew on me over the course of the game. Ekan (human Ranger) was also cool. The rest I was iffy on for various reasons.

I would still appreciate a screenshot lp of that game.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Seelah may not have a stick up her rear end but she will never be as cool as Lien, Hinjo, or O’Chul.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

SettingSun posted:

Mass fearing is all fun and games until you start to spend the majority of your time chasing down the fleeing enemies. I think that's why they eventually added an option to turn off the aforementioned companion's fear aura.

It’s even worse when your party is feared. I have memories of a wisp encounter from Kingmaker in the early game where my party failed its saving throw except maybe one person and we spent half the fight gathering back together to kill the thing once its fear spells ran out and wore off. Took almost 40 rounds because of that and the fact we could only hit it on a natural 20. Its rolls to hit us other than fear were just as bad most of the time, plus easy difficulty, is the only reason I didn’t have a total party wipe. Yes, avoiding the encounter would have been easy, it was chump bait, but I got suckered. And it sucked. That glaive was great payback. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I don’t remember the skill check, but I do remember the warnings I did not heed. Still won the fight.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Szarrukin posted:

Enhanced Edition is out, although it's kinda underwhelming in my opinion.

I tried it out last night. I can report 1 new.feature in act 1- a golem that can change the colors of your gear through illusion magic. Presumably it comes along on your crusade. They’re also still fixing bugs in the software after this edition, you can decide if that’s a good thing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Me too.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m actually playing the game because I want to know what happens even though I’ve watched a lot of LPs on YouTube. Still, I’m not making one of these threads.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Do as you see fit. I am invested in our current character’s story and would enjoy seeing where it goes next. If it takes a while, I always have my personal character (Tiefling Demonslayer Azata if anyone cares) to fall back on. I am also willing to see other people’s suggestions if they care to make them.

I am also investing in a new laptop because of this game. If it runs the game better I will let you know. Slowdowns and the occasional crash are issues with my current system. :( I’m currently running the EE, no serious problems, although I’m not using all the mods you are.

I am glad you are still interested in the LP. Hope to see it resume soon.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 29, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That new class for Lisbeth sounds similar to something I built a certain Goblin into when I played Kingmaker. NokNok was a nasty little bugger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Toy Box is working fine for me, at least the most important features (add extra characters to party, collect all loot from an area including NPC gear upon leaving, recruit extra troops, always able to level up, predict dialogue results). One Feat Per Level works fine too. I will test the Woljif Romance Mod soon (just got to Act 3 when it's supposed to begin). The Fling Trainer also works.