Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

EVs produce significantly less pollution overall than gas cars, the one exception being driving a Honda Insight in West Virginia is slightly better for overall emissions than a pure BEV. They reduce overall pollution levels as well as local levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Even if you power an EV mostly off coal plants it still breaks even on carbon emissions before 100k miles because of the thermal efficiency of stationary coal plants being significantly higher than small mobile ICEs and the benefits of regenerative braking. So it's both exporting the pollution and reducing it at the same time.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
In addition, while some find it fun to say cities to export their pollution to where coal plants are, lots of those cities also bear the brunt of the import export industry, supplying goods to and from those coal plant towns too, e.g. the rates of respiratory illness in low socio economic areas surrounding ports like LA. We're all in it together.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Don't get me wrong, I love EV's. They're perfect for the commuter/appliance driver who's just trying to get to work. The reduction in emissions in LA in my lifetime is science-fiction level poo poo and I'm very happy that these cars - while not perfect - should help guarantee that petrol will be available for naturally aspirated cars with a soundtrack for the rest of my existence. Also glad that LA DWP isn't on the Edison grid, so we don't get brownouts here. Odd how private industry sucks rear end whenever possible, while government waste ensures the services citizens need still work.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EVs do help a bit to reduce environmental impact, especially with improved battery tech to reduce the dependency on lithium/cobalt/etc., but they do nothing at all to reduce congestion, which I think is a downside to cars that a lot of people neglect or willfully ignore.

(Not to mention the massive surveillance and infringement on data privacy, but that goes for all modern cars, not just EVs)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Much like me turning off the water while I brush my teeth as Nestle uses 1m gallons of water on their almonds every day, on the plus side, if 3 billion people start driving EV's only, it will undo the damage one cruise ship does.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 26, 2023

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Much like me turning off the water while I brush my teeth as Nestle uses 1m gallons of water on their almonds every day, on the plus side, if 3 billion people start driving EV's only, it will undo the damage one cruise ship does.

And that's why, overall, we're hosed.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Why won't you people just accept your personal responsibility for climate change? You can't control or even blame business like that; America is about innovation, not about red tape

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Door Frame posted:

Why won't you people just accept your personal responsibility for climate change? You can't control or even blame business like that; America is about innovation, not about red tape

It's not even that so much for me... Americans have torched way more than our share of the planet, but some of us believe science and recognize things need to change for viable human live to continue as-is.

But, even if we do, there are second and third world countries that are going ham on any fossil fuel they can (because they are following our lead and chasing our "success"), with no regard for emissions or the environment, and I just don't see any way that we, as a world, will accept change enough to matter.

So... embrace nihilism.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 26, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Way ahead of you there buddy

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

meatpimp posted:

It's not even that so much for me... Americans have torched way more than our share of the planet, but some of us believe science and recognize things need to change for viable human live to continue as-is.

But, even if we do, there are second and third world countries that are going ham on any fossil fuel they can (because they are following our lead and chasing our "success"), with no regard for emissions or the environment, and I just don't see any way that we, as a world, will accept change enough to matter.

So... embrace nihilism.

I mean, the joke was that Americans have been so brain poisoned that we talk about climate change as if it were a personal responsibility thing when almost all blame falls on rich people, business, and government

To be clear, I do not want to sound like I am messing with you or trying to diminish your feelings, climate grief is 100% valid. We have no way to fix the hell we have wrought and no one with the capability to do anything at all has any interest in doing so, making it more painful to watch the collapse inch closer. When the water wars begin and famine sweeps the planet as fisheries run dry, at least us individuals can look back and say, "I did what I could with the extremely limited resources I had available to try to give us more time." What else can one regular person do?

Honestly though, on further reflection with this thread, I think just want a plug in hybrid going forward. I get my green-ish electric car that can go for god knows how long without visiting a gas station, and also a little gasoline engine to get over range anxiety and for emergency situations

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

(Not to mention the massive surveillance and infringement on data privacy, but that goes for all modern cars, not just EVs)

That goes for public transport too these days.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

The Door Frame posted:

Honestly though, on further reflection with this thread, I think just want a plug in hybrid going forward. I get my green-ish electric car that can go for god knows how long without visiting a gas station, and also a little gasoline engine to get over range anxiety and for emergency situations

Conversations like this really make me want a PHEV or EV. But I want my daily to be fun at the very least and I would have a hard time getting over the lack of vroom vroom noises. Dumb and irrational I know.

I was set on an i8 for a while but the reliability scared me off.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Conversations like this really make me want a PHEV or EV. But I want my daily to be fun at the very least and I would have a hard time getting over the lack of vroom vroom noises. Dumb and irrational I know.

I was set on an i8 for a while but the reliability scared me off.

I really considered the i8 after a year with the i3 but couldn't justify spending that much after driving a couple.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
E85 conversion for me, can't discount not having to build a new car even if E85 isn't non-problematic as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

His Divine Shadow posted:

E85 conversion for me, can't discount not having to build a new car even if E85 isn't non-problematic as well.

Propane or methane if corn squeezin's become a problem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Needs more Biodiesel.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Darchangel posted:

Propane or methane if corn squeezin's become a problem.

They can make it from wood products like sawdust and scrap now too.

The local government (more like publically owned corporation that handles the regions waste) make biomethane from the collected household waste of this region and there are multiple fuel stations nearby. So you can run your car on locally sourced and produced gas and it's about half the cost of gas. But a conversion is pricier than my car. The nearby citys buses have ran on it for years.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

CommieGIR posted:

Needs more Biodiesel.

Needs more woodgas

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cowards

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i run my car on all the methane produced from my poo poo(posts)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

His Divine Shadow posted:

The local government (more like publically owned corporation that handles the regions waste) make biomethane from the collected household waste of this region and there are multiple fuel stations nearby. So you can run your car on locally sourced and produced gas and it's about half the cost of gas. But a conversion is pricier than my car. The nearby citys buses have ran on it for years.

How are those busses going?

Ours run on CNG (not LPG) so the range is awful and they keep bursting into flames.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

All I've heard is there where sometimes issues with getting enough fuel which meant supplementing with CNG, so that's why they've expanded the system for collecting biowaste from households. Unfortunately they decided this means everyone would have another bin to empty and that means more expensive pickups. So like 50% of households opted out by buying an insulated aero composter and doing their own composting instead.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sandy Munro is anti-union 💩

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMFRtFksjo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

yeah no poo poo

Sandy thinks income inequality exists because “in the 80s and 90s we told kids they could be whatever they wanted and they all became English majors instead of engineers and scientists and machinists” (lol tell that one to the guy who had his machine shop job outsourced or the 40 year old postdoc-for-life making $40k and failing to put a dent in his loans)

Sandy lost the little credibility he still had when he saw an opportunity to climb up Elon’s rear end in a top hat and never looked back

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
You didn't even have to say anything--one look at that old piece of poo poo's face in that thumbnail and I instantly knew he'd be anti-union.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Wasn’t he anti-Tesla to start?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Wasn’t he anti-Tesla to start?

He did a few attack videos a lot of time ago (with the usual cesspool of Musk stans in the comments) and after a bit he started doing "Tesla is the best" at every opportunity. I don't know if money switched hands or anything but it was rather weird at the time. Also once you get a video from their network of channels it's as sticky as LTT, it took me quite a bit to not make them appear in my feed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Munro did a Model 3 teardown where he criticized their production methods and build quality. He was also bearish on EVs and how long it would take them to match ICE vehicles. About a year later he hosted a discussion with Musk where they talked about production methods and the engineering behind Teslas. Since then Munro has been really pro Tesla and EVs in general.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Munro did a Model 3 teardown where he criticized their production methods and build quality. He was also bearish on EVs and how long it would take them to match ICE vehicles. About a year later he hosted a discussion with Musk where they talked about production methods and the engineering behind Teslas. Since then Munro has been really pro Tesla and EVs in general.

All I remember is he did a video a few years ago about how the Cybertruck was genius, and Musk clearly knew something that nobody else did because it seemed like terrible engineering and terrible decisions across the board, but it obviously couldn't be that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Stinky post.

https://twitter.com/LeviBetz/status/1766920921972105640?t=PT3uJmPl5gtmoo7eSw4_Dg&s=19

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

i'm pretty sure we all saw this coming back when the brcc sponsorship happened

i hope this dipshit crashes into a tree now

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 11, 2024

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Large Testicles posted:

i'm pretty sure we all saw this coming back when the brcc sponsorship happened

i hope this dipshit crashes into a tree now

Yeah, totally unsurprising btu still lovely. Looking forward to his attendance at Jan 6th v2 to complete the chud arc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wasn’t this the dipshit that had a Black Rifle Coffee sticker on his car?

Edit: well, duh, he’s wearing a BRCC shirt in the picture.

Edit 2: and Large Testicle mentioned the sponsorship. It’s a Monday…

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 11, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

Wasn’t this the dipshit that had a Black Rifle Coffee sticker on his car?

Edit: well, duh, he’s wearing a BRCC shirt in the picture.

Edit 2: and Large Testicle mentioned the sponsorship. It’s a Monday…

I called 2 different people Steven today and neither of them are called that so I get it, don't worry.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I called 2 different people Steven today and neither of them are called that so I get it, don't worry.

lol. I would have to go hide in a closet after that.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Catching back up with this thread and Bucky Lasek is another person rocking BRCC crap on their cars and person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not necessarily automotive focused, but definitely adjacent, how does Abom79 shake out?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I mean he's a machinist from Florida(?) so I have my suspicions but he's also been very very nonpolitical as far as I can tell, and I've been watching for years, so maybe I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

At the very least Abom seems to have a strong aversion to talking politics on his channel whatsoever. I need to catch back up on his stuff.