Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Car people are pretty close to gun people in terms of me assuming that they're right wing and at best not talking about it unless proven otherwise. I just hope that Vice Grip Garage and Junkyard Digs don't milkshake duck, revival videos are my favorite. The only thing I heard from Junkyard Digs that's questionable is Kevin saying that he felt like he was going to get stabbed when he was in LA but thanks to general media coverage people from the country get the impression that anywhere in the city is a dangerous crime-ridden hellhole just like people from the city get convinced that anywhere outside of a city is a sundown town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's a shame, I really liked his repair videos because he showed the reality of working on old rust-damaged cars. I could tell he was conservative but there's conservative in ways that I can put up with even as a massive leftie and there's conservative in ways that threaten/invalidate people's existence, and that channel he signal boosted is the latter.

Like the way he talked about working is similar to how my dad does and my dad is a union electrician fully in favor of strong safety nets, just with an unhealthily strong Protestant work ethic instilled by his upbringing. I can respect that even if I don't necessarily agree with it in the context of working yourself to the bone for other people that aren't going to reward you for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, with how many LGBT people are in TFR there's a big element of "I need things like these people sell to protect me from these exact same people who think that I should die for how I was born." Which is why that thread tries to find non-lovely companies, or at least not vocally lovely companies.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Whilst I understand the horrible position marginalised groups are in, herein lies the problem if we start going down the rabbithole of "corporations are evil and do evil things" - is there even such as thing as an ethical manufacturer of murder weapons?

https://rocket-armory.com

They donate money to an anti-sucide non-profit and an organization that helps people in bad mental states find someone to temporarily hold their guns without completely giving them up. Everyone needs help sometimes, everyone has mental health issues sometimes, whether it's getting fired or divorce or death in the family or whatever. The gun shop I got my carry permit from offers safe storage for anyone who comes in and needs their guns temporarily held for mental health reasons (because Colorado's universal background check law makes it kind of dicey even if IIRC it makes exceptions for that kind of storage).

As to why I have a carry permit, maybe this is unnecessary to say, but just to head it off. If I'm going to get hate crimed, I'm not going down alone. Conflicting opinions on the topic can be filed in the circular bin.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BRCC has done much worse than wink wink nod "SS" but I don't remember what off the top of my head. Ask in the TFR thread and they'll have the whole file.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yes but so is the idea of a few cities being able to dictate everything to everyone else living in places of which they have no understanding.

Don't think I exclude myself, I don't know what it's like to live in even a city as big as Denver, let alone SD/SF/LA.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BuckyDoneGun posted:

But the opposite of that is OK?

No. I don't have a solution, I have depression.

Joke answer: The state that passed Prop 13 doesn't get 12% of the entire country's opinion on anything.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 9, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anti-maskers :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Like my people who fled to Pennsylvania to stop being murdered by the Lutherans and Catholics. Good thing hate crimes based on the bible never came to America!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Advent Horizon posted:

So…Who’s *not* chuddy? Seems like having a ‘cool content providers’ list might be good for anyone looking to find new channels.

SuperfastMatt and Aging Wheels seem pretty decent.

I can't guarantee that a couple from rural Iowa won't milkshake duck but I'm a big fan of Junkyard Digs and I feel like I've seen them mention anti-racist / anti-sexist stuff offhandedly before but I can't remember for sure. I have learned so much about 60 year old carbureted vehicles that I will never own.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I do love the policy Pit Vipers has, I just wish they had some more normal styles because I do not have the confidence to wear Macho Man sunglasses.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

The energy level in some of their videos is hard for my old man brain to keep up with but it seems like they've evened that out a bit as time goes on. They're certainly easier to watch than Hoonigan's builds with shakycam jumpcuts every five seconds.

Also, their high/low Subaru series has been great because they keep getting the authentic WRX ownership experience.

Also they seem to be dedicated, whether intentionally or not, to making all the dumb mistakes that young WRX owners do. 200HP/liter on a Cobb Accessport flash tune with an externally venting BOV on what I'm pretty sure is running off of a MAF rather than a MAP? Sure, why not?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

Seems very much stereotypical North Dakotan, which means he appears very unassuming, nice even, but makes it a very fine point to "not talk politics" (except for fervent nationalism and worship of veterans and police and hanging out with people with Trump poo poo plastered everywhere.)

The whole thing is wrapped up in cisheteronormative patriarchal pandering that makes it really transparent. It's really unfortunatel because he's fairly entertaining (because he reminds me of every domestic car geek I ever knew.)

Source: me--someone that spent their first 27 years in and around Fargo before moving to Chicago because it ain't safe being my queer rear end back home. (And of course Derek moved to somewhere somehow more conservative than ND.)

I get this, OTOH it's always sweet to watch him do road trips with his kids and reminds me of going with my dad to grandma and grandpa's house in his old '60s-'70s trucks. Also he reminds me of a real life Red Green but less ridiculous.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

It seems like May at least was pro-stay for Brexit and claims to lean liberal, so probably can keep him in the 'OK people' group.

Just seems like most of my admired UK presenters/comedians disappoint me, like John Cleese. Thankfully Dylan Moran is still a good (if nihilistic) guy.

I hope so with May, I love his gentle stiff upper lip personality that he presents. I remember that when dozens of paparazzi were sitting outside his house immediately after Clarkson got fired for punching a coworker he came out and offered them tea which is the most British thing I can imagine. In the good way, not the imperialism way.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I know I already said 'snowmobiles are dangerous' but there is something weird about someone who does absurdly dangerous things for a living dying doing... Something else. I guess I don't know how avid a snowboarder Block was, but seems to me rally driving was more his main thing.

Maybe it's just reminding me of how shocked I was to hear about Nicky Hayden being killed on a bicycle.

That's how I feel about Colin McRae and the helicopter.

We've had a lot of snowmobile deaths in Colorado this season as well, although some of that is tour companies just not training the tourists nearly enough. I know some SAR and EMS people and there have been like 4 in the last week I think. I've never ridden one but apparently they are real easy to slide out on or roll because snow is still snow.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It felt to me like American writers didn't get the relationship between the three on the UK show and took it from them frequently teasing each other to acting like they genuinely hated each other. Or maybe they did genuinely hate each other at that point and it bled through, IDK.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Zombie would be worse because it would mean that shooting him in the head didn't work the first time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

"Enforce the laws that I support, the ones that don't impact me." - most libertarians. I would say all but the guy that did a gun training class I went to seemed actually consistent with it. IDK maybe it was growing up Mexican in the ghetto that made him not like cops even when they are beating up people he dislikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

Purely hypothetical question here since none of us go outside, but how would one signal to other leftist car folks IRL for the purpose of being buds, other than driving a Miata?

Something like this?