Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
I thought it was fun, not as good as Ragnarok (that's a really high standard it set) but still a good enough follow up. CGI was spotty at a couple points. I thought they could've showed more of Gorr killing other gods to show how threatening he is but Christian Bale did a great job with him overall. Chris Hemsworth is always a delight. Definitely in the upper tier of MCU movies for me. I'm excited to see Hercules and the other gods hunt down Thor in the next one God of War style.

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
Jealous creeper Stormbreaker was the best.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It’s a lot of fun. Ragnarok is better, mainly because this movie has some tonal issues, and feels disjointed. But I had so much fun.

Basically, as someone else said, Ragnarok was the “METAL” painting on the side of a van. Epic, absurd, and fun. But I’d add that Love and Thunder is a series of seemingly badass tattoos, sometimes incredibly beautiful, sometimes hilarious, sometimes depressing, sometimes strangely ugly, and sometimes in black and white.

Christian Bale was amazing. He was only given 3 great scenes, but that’s certainly more than Eccleston was given. The Shadow Realm scene especially was impressive.

The cancer plot was handled…strangely. I agree with the early poster who said it would have been better to see Jane in full Thor mode first, and then reveal something is wrong. Most of the tonal problems have to do with jumping from, “Isn’t this funny?” to “STAGE 4 CANCER”.

Also, the goats were great. I laughed every time they screamed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I miss when these movies had connective marvel universe tissue in teasers. These recent movies and the characters therein feel completely isolated from one another.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don’t think they have a plan for where they’re going currently in overall. There’s concepts thrown about here and there for the multiverse, including incursions, and Loki but this far each movie or series is a team up romp. It’s counter to what most audiences for the MCU were used to knowing there’d be a confrontation with Thanos at some point

Here’s hoping for Hickman’s Everything Dies storyline once the FF/Doom and X Men are introduced

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It was okay. Maybe my expectations were high after how good Ragnarok was but this movie definitely felt rushed in pacing and production/editing wise.

I really didn't expect Jane Foster to die, considering I thought the whole point of bringing her back into the MCU was that she was going to have a bigger role moving forward, maybe even taking up the mantle of 'Thor'. At some point I thought Thor was going to reach Eternity first and ask it to cure her cancer. But I guess losing the love of his life after he lost like everything else is good too. Man, Thor cannot catch a loving break.

Cryomancer posted:

Jealous creeper Stormbreaker was the best.

Such a simple joke but it made me laugh each time.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 10, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Somebody on twitter called this movie "If someone who was straight directed Batman & Robin". And I think that tracks.

Also the movies ending needs Thor to commit war crimes to win (child soldiers) and with the all of the tools at their disposal they just have to just let Jane die. And she doesn't ask for help earlier from anyone... because? She's embarrassed? Okay, that's poo poo writing, but vaguely makes sense. But once Thor knows? No call to the GOTG? Or Cap Marvel? Nope, no other solution, no other tech that could easily wipe out cancer anywhere else in the galaxy. The film also looks really loving cheap. This does not look like a $250 million dollar film. Everyone bitched about stranger things episodes costing 30 million, but they look, way, way better than this poo poo.

But I"ll give you this, it does have jokes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gatts posted:

I don’t think they have a plan for where they’re going currently in overall. There’s concepts thrown about here and there for the multiverse, including incursions, and Loki but this far each movie or series is a team up romp. It’s counter to what most audiences for the MCU were used to knowing there’d be a confrontation with Thanos at some point

Here’s hoping for Hickman’s Everything Dies storyline once the FF/Doom and X Men are introduced
From what I understand COVID caused a lot of the movies schedules to be jumbled, but also an admission that something like building to Endgame is a trick you can only do once.

I would love a Hickman run finishing with Secret Wars

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Please stop with that stupid child soldier poo poo. They were kids fighting back against the darkness. You know, to show how kids can work together and shouldn't be scared because, just like the blatantly obvious words from November Rain say while that scene is playing: you're not the only one. What was Thor supposed to do, let them die? He had no way to get them out so giving them his powers was his only choice.

And yeah, gods don't get cancer so not a shock they wouldn't have medicine to save Jane. And the clock was ticking so Thor couldn't stop and take time to find something. Mjolnir wasn't helping and that was probably their best choice.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Please stop with that stupid child soldier poo poo. They were kids fighting back against the darkness. You know, to show how kids can work together and shouldn't be scared because, just like the blatantly obvious words from November Rain say while that scene is playing: you're not the only one. What was Thor supposed to do, let them die? He had no way to get them out so giving them his powers was his only choice.

And yeah, gods don't get cancer so not a shock they wouldn't have medicine to save Jane. And the clock was ticking so Thor couldn't stop and take time to find something. Mjolnir wasn't helping and that was probably their best choice.

lmao

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

:rolleyes:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

live with fruit posted:

Seemed like they were setting Axl up for the Young Avengers.

Agree 100%. My wife mentioned that to me just before I saw this post.

i could be wrong, but its fairly apparent at this point that Phase.. whatever this is, is serving to "reset" everything around new heroes to take up the mantles. We've already got Axl, Young Loki, Wiccan, Speed, Kate Bishop, Cassie Lang, Ms Marvel, and I know Riri Williams is getting introduced in Black Panther 2. I'm probably forgetting someone, but it all has a lot of potential. The wild-card I'm anxious to see what they do with it are the Dark Avengers and Zemo (Thunderbolts?) story they're cooking up. But that all seems to be relegated to the shows so far.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Taika lost in the sauce on this one. Ya hate to see it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

mastajake posted:

I like that Gor got this supposedly cursed blade and then proceeded to get everything he wanted, no consequences. He was already at death's door when he got it!

If only there was a character in the story who paralleled this in some way…

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Doronin posted:

Agree 100%. My wife mentioned that to me just before I saw this post.

i could be wrong, but its fairly apparent at this point that Phase.. whatever this is, is serving to "reset" everything around new heroes to take up the mantles. We've already got Axl, Young Loki, Wiccan, Speed, Kate Bishop, Cassie Lang, Ms Marvel, and I know Riri Williams is getting introduced in Black Panther 2. I'm probably forgetting someone, but it all has a lot of potential. The wild-card I'm anxious to see what they do with it are the Dark Avengers and Zemo (Thunderbolts?) story they're cooking up. But that all seems to be relegated to the shows so far.

America Chavez and maybe Patriot.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Sandwolf posted:

If only there was a character in the story who paralleled this in some way…

Not really sure how that has to do with what I posted tbh.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LionArcher posted:

Somebody on twitter called this movie "If someone who was straight directed Batman & Robin". And I think that tracks.

Also the movies ending needs Thor to commit war crimes to win (child soldiers) and with the all of the tools at their disposal they just have to just let Jane die. And she doesn't ask for help earlier from anyone... because? She's embarrassed? Okay, that's poo poo writing, but vaguely makes sense. But once Thor knows? No call to the GOTG? Or Cap Marvel? Nope, no other solution, no other tech that could easily wipe out cancer anywhere else in the galaxy. The film also looks really loving cheap. This does not look like a $250 million dollar film. Everyone bitched about stranger things episodes costing 30 million, but they look, way, way better than this poo poo.

But I"ll give you this, it does have jokes.

I wonder how much of that budget went to the GotG, who might as well not have been in the film at all except for handful of jokes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I agree that the jokes didn’t know when to stop. They tried to have jokes during most of the serious scenes, deflating any serious emotions

Also the story was choppy, it felt like a bunch of skits glued together, kind of like Austin powers

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ending should have had Ruthkanda Forever just to really melt people's brains

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 10, 2022

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I think the movie started off on the wrong foot by having essentially the Cliff's Notes version of Gorr's story. It was ridiculously hamfisted with how blatant they made the god act.

Also the cgi in that scene was incredibly bad... for no real reason? It was just a dude sitting there drinking wine, they didn't have to make him out of playdough. I can't think of any other part of the movie that looked like that. All the gods in ..god.. land? looked fine!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The God's own hospital has a vending machine where you have to pay for snacks.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I really enjoyed Thor Ragnarok, but I hated this.

Of recent Marvel movies, this is below Eternals for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I did not notice myself but my friend noticed there were continuity mistakes between shots, things that would’ve been easy to catch and fix before release

Like there would be a baked lays bag in one shot and disappeared the next, like they only allowed it on camera for the contractually agreed number of shots

Also gorr’s face would have a different number of seeds on it in different places from shot to shot

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Ither posted:

I really enjoyed Thor Ragnarok, but I hated this.

Of recent Marvel movies, this is below Eternals for me.

Of the two I left the movie theater enjoying Thor more but I feel like Eternals was a better movie. I was worried due to everyone saying how jokes undercut every serious scenes, which was one of the worst things about the otherwise great GOTG2, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Also thought Chris Hemsworth did a good job and Christian Bale was great, and some of the set pieces looked nice. That's about all of the positives I can think about the movie right now.

With Dr. Strange I can think of scenes/sections that I really enjoyed (even if I thought the overall movie was just okay) but yeah, not a single one from this movie that I'd ever be interested in seeing again.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Gatts posted:

Phase 4 really feels like they are going back to the Phase 1 and 2 self contained adventures. Remember that we are still in the Phase 1 of the new arc. Thanos wasn't introduced as the villian until Avengers. We know (upcoming movie casting spoiler)Kang will be in Antman and don't know who will be in the Fantastic Four but they probably won't be heading towards the next team ups and Thanos level threat until Phases 5 and 6.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zero One posted:

Phase 4 really feels like they are going back to the Phase 1 and 2 self contained adventures. Remember that we are still in the Phase 1 of the new arc. Thanos wasn't introduced as the villian until Avengers. We know (upcoming movie casting spoiler)Kang will be in Antman and don't know who will be in the Fantastic Four but they probably won't be heading towards the next team ups and Thanos level threat until Phases 5 and 6.

The problem with this is phase 1 was like 5 movies long and we've already had 6 movies and 6 tv shows and it makes everything feel really disjointed and directionless. Even in phase 1 there was still the thrust of the Avengers being drawn together by Fury to underpin it

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I appreciated the dedication to Norwegian snacks in the movie. I spotted Chip Nuts, Salt Sild, Solo and sjampanjebrus on their boat, and the whole bunch of things Thor brought Jane from the vending machine.

Also, any Norwegian between the age of 12-95 know the exact feeling of that visitors chair next to Janes hospital bed.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rarity posted:

The problem with this is phase 1 was like 5 movies long and we've already had 6 movies and 6 tv shows and it makes everything feel really disjointed and directionless. Even in phase 1 there was still the thrust of the Avengers being drawn together by Fury to underpin it

Phase 4 is already longer than any other phase in MCU history and there’s still no real connecting plot or what this is all driving to at the end. Is it gonna be young avengers? Is it gonna be secret wars? Is it gonna be galactus?

Like what is the plan going forward? And you have to include the tv shows since they’re more important now than ever.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Korg’s God sat on a throne made of scissors.

Korg’s mate at the end was named Dwayne. Dwayne the Rock.

These as the simple jokes that I appreciate.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Korg’s God sat on a throne made of scissors.

Korg’s mate at the end was named Dwayne. Dwayne the Rock.

These as the simple jokes that I appreciate.

I was genuinely surprised Sif's arm didn't show up at the end. Seems like proof Waititi didn't make it.

Is something like "Eat my hammer" what people mean when they say there were tonal problems? Cause that was also funny.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 10, 2022

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Moments I particularly liked towards the end were:

(after being called Lady Thor by the villain) "It's MIGHTY Thor. And if you can't manage to say THAT, then DR JANE FOSTER will suffice!"
And after the big climax where Jane whispers her final catchphrase to Thor and you never hear what it was, just him giggling and responding that it's perfect.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

live with fruit posted:

I was genuinely surprised Sif's arm didn't show up at the end. Seems like proof Waititi didn't make it.

Is something like "Eat my hammer" what people mean when they say there were tonal problems? Cause that was also funny.

No? The tonal problems are when the movie goes from Thor being silly, celebrating his victory, and how ridiculous it is that is came at the cost of the tower, to immediately showing Jane in an MRI machine, and then dealing with stage 4 cancer. That’s a tonal shift they gives the viewer whiplash, and left me wondering what kind of movie I was watching. A question I don’t think the movie ever really answered.

There are other examples, but going between being possibly the silliest movie Marvel has ever made and also dealing with Jane dying of cancer would be a hard thing to transition between for the most talented director. So the movie decided to not even try to transition between them, apparently, and just smash cut, instead. And it felt really weird, at times.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BioEnchanted posted:

Moments I particularly liked towards the end were:

(after being called Lady Thor by the villain) "It's MIGHTY Thor. And if you can't manage to say THAT, then DR JANE FOSTER will suffice!"
And after the big climax where Jane whispers her final catchphrase to Thor and you never hear what it was, just him giggling and responding that it's perfect.

Yeah, these were both great. Especially the “MIGHTY Thor” moment.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

No? The tonal problems are when the movie goes from Thor being silly, celebrating his victory, and how ridiculous it is that is came at the cost of the tower, to immediately showing Jane in an MRI machine, and then dealing with stage 4 cancer. That’s a tonal shift they gives the viewer whiplash, and left me wondering what kind of movie I was watching. A question I don’t think the movie ever really answered.

There are other examples, but going between being possibly the silliest movie Marvel has ever made and also dealing with Jane dying of cancer would be a hard thing to transition between for the most talented director. So the movie decided to not even try to transition between them, apparently, and just smash cut, instead. And it felt really weird, at times.

So it's that it's not reverent enough when dealing with cancer?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I thought the very first scene was an even worse tonal shift going from one of the worst things a person can ever experience to slapstick that felt like it came out of Army of Darkness with YouTube poop quality of CGI.

I get they were trying to make the god out as a dick but drat did that opening start the movie off on a bad note for me.

Also I actively wanted to just fast forward through the whole zeus scene. Harley Quinn did it much better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Army of Darkness is good though

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
One person leaving the movie theatre at the same time as me said something to the effect of, "So, what genre was that, anyways?" I think it sums up the movie pretty well tbh.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

live with fruit posted:

So it's that it's not reverent enough when dealing with cancer?

It’s the shift from one to the other. That’s what people mean when they say it has tonal issues. It’s the jarring shift from very silly to very serious, with no real transition. The cancer scenes were actually pretty serious. Immediately following very silly nonsense.

I really like the movie. But this definitely stood out, to me.

It would be like flipping back and forth on your TV between Sophie’s Choice and Dumb and Dumber, and thinking, “Yeah, that was a normal experience.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Sophie has to decide between killing Harry or Lloyd.