Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I found Jane’s joke about “Stage 4.. out of how many heheheheheh” to be a way worse tonal change, smack dab in the middle of a friend trying to give some real advice. They probably should have opened with Jane’s story, granted. Get the grim poo poo out of the way, like Loki dying at the beginning of Infinity War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Thor saved the day, the abandoned, poor, suffering man was stopped in his quest to murder the indifferent rich.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

I found Jane’s joke about “Stage 4.. out of how many heheheheheh” to be a way worse tonal change, smack dab in the middle of a friend trying to give some real advice. They probably should have opened with Jane’s story, granted. Get the grim poo poo out of the way, like Loki dying at the beginning of Infinity War.

Isn't that a character issue? It's a cancer victim making light of her own diagnosis. It's a thing that happens.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ynglaur posted:

One person leaving the movie theatre at the same time as me said something to the effect of, "So, what genre was that, anyways?" I think it sums up the movie pretty well tbh.

I really like movies with tonal whiplash. But idk.

James Gunn does it way better. It literally does the same thing this movie does but it works because it hits you with the downer and then the upper. Easier to take.

drat I love James Gunn.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I really like movies with tonal whiplash. But idk.

James Gunn does it way better. It literally does the same thing this movie does but it works because it hits you with the downer and then the upper. Easier to take.

drat I love James Gunn.

Waititi doesn't have Gunn's ear for songs that hammer the emotion home.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of wish more settings would play with the idea of human science being very magical to beings that only ever worked with magic, like Thor understanding that Jane's IV drip is some kind of collection of potions and elixirs designed to help her body fight off the cancer, and that Mjolnir's magic is interfering with that. You could go somewhere interesting with the contrast, that other types of magic come from a culture overpowering the universe's laws while Human Magic comes from a culture understanding those laws and making them work FOR them instead of against them. Like Asgardians know the universe on a galactic level, having access to planes of existence that we can't fathom, but on the opposite end of that spectrum, we know the universe on a much more personal level, drilling down to versions of reality where reality itself breaks down and becomes pure math. Math that we are on our way to understanding. Loki's illusions may confound mortals, but if Antman ever showed him the subatomic universe it would blow his mind, because it's a world where the laws have broken down, but in a way that they are replaced with new ones and ones that are completely non-magical in nature. The Marvel movies had a bit of that like in Spiderman No Way Home with Peter beating Strange's mirror world with mathematics, but I wish they'd find ways to lean more into it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

live with fruit posted:

Waititi doesn't have Gunn's ear for songs that hammer the emotion home.

In the right mood, usually drunk and deep down sad, father and son will get to me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ynglaur posted:

One person leaving the movie theatre at the same time as me said something to the effect of, "So, what genre was that, anyways?" I think it sums up the movie pretty well tbh.

if the culture is any indicator: gay

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This movie majorly had the issue of completely inconsistent villain power. All the confrontations felt bizarre bc Gorr kept swapping between "untouchable force of nature" and "angry man with a sword".

And ultimately they beat him with the power of love anyways so whatever.

edit: was trying to think of the last time it was this bad, Age of Ultron. When you think about it the flaws of this movie were pretty similar to Ultron.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 10, 2022

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Why did Gorr bring the kids to the gate to Eternity? maybe he was trying to convert them to his side after his plan was finished ?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Why did Gorr bring the kids to the gate to Eternity? maybe he was trying to convert them to his side after his plan was finished ?

Nevermind, he already had the ax. Ignore this.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
What a mess of a film. There were some great moments, some jokes that really landed, but for the most part this felt like an unfocused and inconsistent movie, a mishmash of half- and quarter-formed ideas with some absolutely dreadful editing and audio choices (was anyone else really distracted by the bad sound mix? Especially in the action scenes?)...a real rush job, with a VFX team clearly pushed to the brink. Russel Crowe was barely tolerable, and it felt like there were entire scenes missing in the first half. Was this concieved as a miniseries originally? It had the vibe of a TV series re-cut into a film.

It's a shame because the good stuff really did work; Christian Bale was great; I liked the ultimate message being sweet and positive. The kids were adorable, Hemsworth and Portman still have really nice chemistry too. But oof, this did not hold together. I wonder how much of it I'll even remember a year from now - Dark World is just two hours of static when I try to recall. Given that Waititi's been working on such good projects lately (Our Flag Means Death, Reservation Dogs) maybe he was just unable to focus on this one?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gertrude Perkins posted:

What a mess of a film. There were some great moments, some jokes that really landed, but for the most part this felt like an unfocused and inconsistent movie, a mishmash of half- and quarter-formed ideas with some absolutely dreadful editing and audio choices (was anyone else really distracted by the bad sound mix? Especially in the action scenes?)...a real rush job, with a VFX team clearly pushed to the brink. Russel Crowe was barely tolerable, and it felt like there were entire scenes missing in the first half. Was this concieved as a miniseries originally? It had the vibe of a TV series re-cut into a film.

It's a shame because the good stuff really did work; Christian Bale was great; I liked the ultimate message being sweet and positive. The kids were adorable, Hemsworth and Portman still have really nice chemistry too. But oof, this did not hold together. I wonder how much of it I'll even remember a year from now - Dark World is just two hours of static when I try to recall. Given that Waititi's been working on such good projects lately (Our Flag Means Death, Reservation Dogs) maybe he was just unable to focus on this one?

They used the same tech they debuted with the mandalorian and other disney+ shows so that’s probably why it felt like a tv show.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's a shame that Christian Bale couldn't help but do a good job in this steaming pile of poo poo.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

To distract Thor and give him time to open the gate.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just came back and I have a few things I want to post real quickly.

I want to eat at Infinity Cones.

Goddamn, Christian Bale is a hell of an actor.

Literally, one of the first times I've ever been stoked to watch kids kick rear end.

I laughed at those fuckin goats. Every time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

He's just angry at the gods, not evil for the sake of evil. The alternative would have been to leave them to die in that cage on the comically small planet

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I was expecting a dogshit moving thanks to the clickbate review headlines but it was fine. I agree there's a better movie in there with a round of editing or a few line changes, but its better than Thor 1 and 2 in my opinion

Kinda harsh the warriors 3 deaths got reduced to a gag and aren't on his memorial tattoo

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

They were doing reshoots, aka additional photography, on this film into early April. And that was their second round of reshoots, and those days are when almost all of Axel's scenes were filmed. So his character "development" and inclusion in the meat of the film wasn't actually realized until 3 months before the film's release. In fact, everything they shot during those reshoots is in the film which is the bulk of the kids stuff. Which makes me wonder what the hell the movie looked like before that second round of reshoots.

drat, you mean this scene was a reshoot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbR8P3gKmg

I agree with whoever said Tessa Thompson stole all her scenes - I wanted to see more of her. It's interesting seeing the reactions to the movie here because I thought it was pretty consistently (and cohesively?) irreverent the whole way through, which didn't bother me because I've never thought anything in the MCU was particularly reverent-worthy in the first place. I didn't think the cancer scenes were tonally out of place at all, either, they felt like a pretty natural part of the life-affirming theme about choosing what to do with your time. Portman was great, too, and reminded me that I mostly watch these movies for the performances.

The comment about there being no space magic or tech which could cure her cancer made me think of how in the X-Men universe all the characters have fantastic magical powers but none of them are able to cure Professor X's spinal injury. The chair is an immutable part of his character, just like how in the MCU there is no cure for late stage capitalism.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

This is the only Marvel movie that should have been longer. It really needed some time to pace out the jokes from the serious action scenes. It all feels like its in a huge hurry to not go much of anywhere. The goats were unfunny from moment one and kept getting worse. Christian Bale is way too good for this fuckin shitpile, also the music got grating, it was dollar store James Gunn. Also The fuckin CGI for the city of the gods felt like Phantom Menace, actors walking around in a green box bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
TBH the story reminds me a lot of the video game Immortals: Fenyx Rising in that they are about a guy getting sick of the God's cruelty and attempting to wipe them out while trying to convince other people that he's doing the right thing by doing it (although for different overall reasons, Typhon thinks he can do better and wants to rule in their stead). I generally think Immortals did it better though. Immortals also has a better take on Zeus due to the framing device being Prometheus telling him a story after Typhon took over the island about the one human champion fighting against him who'll restore the few Gods who are not yet dead (but have had their power stolen by Typhon and are shadows of their former selves), and as the story goes on Zeus is forced to face the fact that every one of his children completely hates him which causes him to reflect on his actions as the game goes on, initially being pretty callous about his crimes but by the end starting to break down as the weight of all he's done comes crashing down upon him.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The tone around the illness didn't bother me but how it worked plot wise did.
So Jane Foster has stage 4 cancer and was given six months to live and in the scene with Dr. Erik Selvig they say the chemo isn't helping. I guess being an astrophysicist gives Dr. Foster the knowledge to run tests to find an alternative cure for cancer but nothing works. At some point in the past Thor put an enchantment on Mjolnir to protect her and that is why it calls out to her to come find it at New Asgard but it actually doesn't protect her, it's killing her even faster? It would have made way more sense if Mjolnir was actually keeping her alive and they had to decide between keeping her alive longer or stopping Gorr.

Also for playing up the fact she is a doctor and even having the line about either being called" Mighty Thor or Dr. Jane Foster", as no point did she really do anything scientific? She determined that the Thunder Breaker could power an engine / be used as one but then they use a boat with no engine and the goats? It created the bridge in front of them sure but that doesn't seem like what she realized. That line really should have been used when she was doing something scientific to help defeat Gorr.

LionYeti posted:

Also The fuckin CGI for the city of the gods felt like Phantom Menace, actors walking around in a green box bad.
Korg stepping over the legs of that one god like he was in a movie theater looked so bad I can't believe it made it into the final cut holy poo poo

Cyks fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 11, 2022

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Cyks posted:

So Jane Foster has stage 4 cancer and was given six months to live and in the scene with Dr. Erik Selvig they say the chemo isn't helping. I guess being an astrophysicist gives Dr. Foster the knowledge to run tests to find an alternative cure for cancer but nothing works. At some point in the past Thor put an enchantment on Mjolnir to protect her and that is why it calls out to her to come find it at New Asgard but it actually doesn't protect her, it's killing her even faster? It would have made way more sense if Mjolnir was actually keeping her alive and they had to decide between keeping her alive longer or stopping Gorr.

Mjolnir gives her a choice between dying bravely in battle saving the universe now vs slowly wasting away in a hospital bed of stage 4 cancer. It's the whole enjoy life while you can thing taken to its conclusions.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know this is probably something more likely to appear after the home release drops but has anyone found a website that goes through the end credits and attributes each person's name to the band font that is being used to show it? That poo poo was cool.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Thor saved the day, the abandoned, poor, suffering man was stopped in his quest to murder the indifferent rich.

Actually thought this was the most interesting part of the movie. The movie does not seem to suggest that killing the gods is wrong

Thor even gets in on it by killing a God himself and seems to think it is justified based on the guy's attitude.

The only reason our heroes are really in conflict with the antagonist is because he's kidnapped children, and the reason he's kidnapped children is in pursuit of his ultimate goal which does not include actually harming the children.

In fact the message of the movie seems to be that killing the gods is fine but it won't actually make you happy.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Also Boy having Eternity would have been useful during Endgame to go to there and wish everyone back and Thanos dead, they don't even try and explain why that's in play now as opposed to back then.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Seldom Posts posted:

Actually thought this was the most interesting part of the movie. The movie does not seem to suggest that killing the gods is wrong

Thor even gets in on it by killing a God himself and seems to think it is justified based on the guy's attitude.

The only reason our heroes are really in conflict with the antagonist is because he's kidnapped children, and the reason he's kidnapped children is in pursuit of his ultimate goal which does not include actually harming the children.

In fact the message of the movie seems to be that killing the gods is fine but it won't actually make you happy.

Well also they are in conflict because Thor is the god of thunder and would also die.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cyks posted:

Well also they are in conflict because Thor is the god of thunder and would also die.

Yeah good point, but he doesn't seem all that worried about it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ynglaur posted:

"Classic Thor Adventure" obviously

needed more god-butchering

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Phase 4 is already longer than any other phase in MCU history and there’s still no real connecting plot or what this is all driving to at the end. Is it gonna be young avengers? Is it gonna be secret wars? Is it gonna be galactus?

Like what is the plan going forward? And you have to include the tv shows since they’re more important now than ever.

Preferrably nothing. Just keep doing individual movies with occasional guest heroes like in the last two Thor movies.

Civil war and Thanos Rubber glove-saga were the worst. Both in the comics and in the movies.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They used the same tech they debuted with the mandalorian and other disney+ shows so that’s probably why it felt like a tv show.

The sooner every drops this tech the better, it's poo poo lmao

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Movie owned and was great. Just lol at critiquing it for having "child soldiers" you absolute fuckin' goober.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Those kids ruled. I guess I'm pro child soldier now.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

JBP posted:

It's a shame that Christian Bale couldn't help but do a good job in this steaming pile of poo poo.

Felt the same. Bale does great work but the movie is mediocre, at best, and feels really slapdash. All the fight scenes are cartoony, inconsequential, and played for laughs. 90% of the jokes don't hit (and it's a neverending stream of quips). Way too much Korg. Super basic needle drops. It's a shame because I dug Ragnorak and went in with an open mind despite the lovely reviews, but this is the last time I spend money on one of these things. Just not for me, anymore. I shudder to think about what Taiki Waititi will do with Star Wars (definitely gonna cast himself as a droid). I dug the screaming goats, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol waitit already cast himself as a droid and then died in the episode he directed

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Christ, how embarrassing. That droid was pretty cool, though.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

The sooner every drops this tech the better, it's poo poo lmao

The Batman used it too

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of wish more settings would play with the idea of human science being very magical to beings that only ever worked with magic, like Thor understanding that Jane's IV drip is some kind of collection of potions and elixirs designed to help her body fight off the cancer, and that Mjolnir's magic is interfering with that. You could go somewhere interesting with the contrast, that other types of magic come from a culture overpowering the universe's laws while Human Magic comes from a culture understanding those laws and making them work FOR them instead of against them.

Unfortunately this was Thor: Love and Better Things Aren't Possible, so no dice.

Cyks posted:

Also for playing up the fact she is a doctor and even having the line about either being called" Mighty Thor or Dr. Jane Foster", as no point did she really do anything scientific? She determined that the Thunder Breaker could power an engine / be used as one but then they use a boat with no engine and the goats? It created the bridge in front of them sure but that doesn't seem like what she realized. That line really should have been used when she was doing something scientific to help defeat Gorr.

PhDs are just like that. Easily the realest moment in the film, she probably spent seven years on that thesis! She can bring it up whenever she drat likes!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

josh04 posted:

PhDs are just like that. Easily the realest moment in the film, she probably spent seven years on that thesis! She can bring it up whenever she drat likes!

Also women with PhDs often get their doctor title disrespected, it's a thing, so that moment got a big hell yeah from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how many thor kids died in battle