Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Ok, here's my theory why the film feels oddly pieced together: it was!

They were doing reshoots, aka additional photography, on this film into early April. And that was their second round of reshoots, and those days are when almost all of Axel's scenes were filmed. So his character "development" and inclusion in the meat of the film wasn't actually realized until 3 months before the film's release. In fact, everything they shot during those reshoots is in the film which is the bulk of the kids stuff. Which makes me wonder what the hell the movie looked like before that second round of reshoots.

Did they decide on the film's final scene with Heimdall and then realized they needed to shoehorn in an emotional link for him to the film?

I recently learned that Marvel's method is shoot a film, assemble it, and then figure out what the story is. Then reshoot, reassemble, then reshoot again. Doctor Strange 2 went through 5 months of reshoots, and they only stopped because Bernerbatch Cumblebum decided he was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Zero One posted:

There is some good discussion at the middle of this video on when the Volume works and when it doesn't and how it's just another tool that shouldn't replace everything else.

Starting at 10:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkgAUYOtG8

Having a very limited interaction with the Volume a few months ago, this is what I will say - it is a giant time suck. The crew spent so much time tweaking the background, fixing the perspective, running the VFX numbers and camera tests and lighting, the actual "acting" part was way on the back burner. A small scene, a quiet moment on an alien world, became a labored prolonged agonizing 2-day odyssey. It makes amazing stuff, the crew was saying the flight scenes they had worked on the previous week were so accurate people on stage got motion sickness. But you have to devote so much time and energy to it, and the actual acting and story has to be secondary because if something/someone messes up the scene or negates all the pre-visual work that was done that's just more money spent.

And thank you for this link! Most of my friends are in post and I love hearing their horror stories of last-minute changes or lingering edits waiting for notes from execs. It's pure schadenfreude.