Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Plz pm spreadsheet to me I need it.

it's on my personal google account, when i'm not busy later today i'll stick it on an account that doesn't have my irl name on it and post it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Every time I learn a song I add it to a Spotify playlist. and my usual practice routine is to warm up with scales, noodle for a bit, then play some songs off the list or learn a new song.

I also remembered that I have a copy of the guitar grimoire so I'm reading through that for more practice exercises

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
it's a joke about buying lots of guitars but always having one or 5 within reach no matter where I am in my house allows me to grab one when my chaosbrain says it's riff time I am way too disorganized to actually say 5 pm practice time or whatever

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

it's a joke about buying lots of guitars but always having one or 5 within reach no matter where I am in my house allows me to grab one when my chaosbrain says it's riff time I am way too disorganized to actually say 5 pm practice time or whatever

Anything you can do to reduce that friction really helps

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
a chicken in every pot, a guitar (or 5) in every room

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the problem with the yngwie pile of strats is that it is not spread out enough

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

moon demon posted:

This happens to me all the time. Not just with guitar, but other hobbies as well. Sometimes life happens and I just don’t have the energy for something. Other times I have the energy but just don’t feel like doing something. I’ve found it’s best not to force it, just do something else and you’ll eventually find inspiration :)

This. I have several hobbies I bounce between. Guitar is fun but sometimes I get bored or frustrated with my intermediate plateau and don't play for a while. Sometimes it's cathartic and feels great. Other times it feels like I'm forcing it. I'm not great at practicing, I usually just pick songs I like and learn them or try to improvise along to.

I've also found that buying a new guitar, amp, or pedal is great motivation for about 6 months.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
X-posting from the bass thread

Well she's strung up with trimmer line that is stretching out, and I need to Install the piezo

She verks though!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

weight of the anti-ergonomic instrument?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jestery posted:

X-posting from the bass thread

Well she's strung up with trimmer line that is stretching out, and I need to Install the piezo

She verks though!

Thus proving with a hammer and a dream you can easily build an instrument

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If anyone looks at you funny you can brandish that thing as a weapon

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Helianthus Annuus posted:

weight of the anti-ergonomic instrument?

Without stepping on the scale, it feels similar to an acoustic bass

And yes ergonomics kinda leave a little to be desired, but the trimmer line strings take zero pressure to feet compared to my actual double bass so swings and roundabouts

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
eat a dick, bass boy!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hi, I've been taking lessons for a few months on a Martin HD-28 inherited from my late FIL. We've also got a smaller Alvarez acoustic of some sort I play around on, plus a couple electrics I haven't touched (a Gibson Les Paul that was his favorite electric, and something else that's living in the basement I need to check out). It's fun, so I wanted to say hi!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Hi, I've been taking lessons for a few months on a Martin HD-28 inherited from my late FIL. We've also got a smaller Alvarez acoustic of some sort I play around on, plus a couple electrics I haven't touched (a Gibson Les Paul that was his favorite electric, and something else that's living in the basement I need to check out). It's fun, so I wanted to say hi!

Welcome to the cool kids' table! We'd all love some pics if you get a chance.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

HD-20s sound awesome and especially having it in the family it’s very cool to be learning on it. Rare to have such a nice instrument earlier on too so that way you won’t feel like a new guitar every month.

Just kidding, it’s only a matter of time before GAS hits you like the rest of us. Welcome!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone got pointers for changing a nut? Specifically removing the old one? I've been running a scalpel along the edges but don't seem to have made any headway.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

You could use your left hand if you have the coordination to do so, or sit on your right hand until it falls asleep so it feels like someone else is doing it. I don't recommend the scalpel, though. Whoever gave you that advice is crazy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone got pointers for changing a nut? Specifically removing the old one? I've been running a scalpel along the edges but don't seem to have made any headway.

mallet + wood dowel the diameter of the nut, or tapping it from the fretboard side carefully. unless it's a fender style then you need to go to town with some pliers or something

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

mallet + wood dowel the diameter of the nut, or tapping it from the fretboard side carefully. unless it's a fender style then you need to go to town with some pliers or something

Pliers got it out. Chunk of wood too but not from the fretboard side, it's only a cheapo Harley Benton so not outrageous, just glued it back with the new nut.

Seems the control plate from a Jag bass or something actually is too big, very cheap though so not heart breaking, but need a new one sharpish. And looks like I need a small bit of routing done to fit the trons properly, even with them being soapbars. Roller bridge fits the existing posts at least, and the Grover locking tuners are on although I may have hosed the screws with my improper drill, should be fixable if needed.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

For future reference, use a pair of pincers like in the article for the fender style nuts.
https://hazeguitars.com/blog/safely-remove-a-fender-guitar-or-bass-nut

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
heatgun or hairdryer might help if you ever have to do it again, depending on the finish situation

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Seconding need so pics but HD-28 is a perfect guitar and I have a huge soft spot for alvarez, but if it's a Yairi model that could be even better than the martin

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

heatgun or hairdryer might help if you ever have to do it again, depending on the finish situation

Hairdryer didn't seem to do anything.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

drat dawg those are nice guitars.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
1st impression, KGD Relic Strat is also very nice for the price, which is ~$183 on Amazon right now, but I think the green is sold out.

I'm a sucker for the green over sunburst relic job

Colors are different, though

Only complaint so far is the same ones I had with the Tele. Headstock shape is terrible and the shiny chrome and brand new pickguard look dumb with the heavy relic finish.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Like they could have at least gone with the parchment or ivory pick guards

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

drat dawg those are nice guitars.

Thanks man, took a few weeks in my down time in the shop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So my FIL passed not quite a year ago, shortly after my wife's birthday, of a protracted, terminal psychological illness. I'm not really fully sure of the details since he was well into it by the time my wife and I met, but the final decline was quite rapid. My understanding is he was quite an accomplished musician in his day (even had a record deal that "didn't go well"), and started building and selling pro audio production gear at some point - his client list included some pretty well-known musicians (I want to say Blues Traveler and Cheryl Crow have been mentioned, and he had a story about Timbaland calling the house to buy a microphone or something). I do wish I had gotten to know him better, but my wife says that just wasn't really possible in the time we've been together.

Anyway, she and her sister split up his guitars - SIL got his favorite acoustic and wife got his favorite electric, plus three more and a mandolin (which I did not take a pic of).

Gibson Les Paul (no clue about year or anything):

Alvarez:

Martin HD-28:

Rickenbacker 360:

I didn't even know what the Rickenbacker was. It got taken down to the basement before I got a chance to look when she first brought it home and this was my first time seeing what it was!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Love the ric and the les Paul, especially

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Deluxe with thumb bleeders, but grover tuners? What a cool guitar. That Rick is cool as hell too

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

muike posted:

Deluxe with thumb bleeders, but grover tuners? What a cool guitar. That Rick is cool as hell too

I opened the case and thought "why is this living in a case in the basement?"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Those are perfection. God drat.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

only the coolest dudes play Rickenbackers

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just moved cross-country, currently staying with my aunt and uncle.

Uncle plays guitar and keyboards. There are something like 18 guitars here, countless amps.

One of those amps is this one, which I thought was cool.

He says it’s kind of flaky. Sometimes when turned on and warmed up it just produces a much lesser sound. Other times it’s what you’d expect. Something with a tube, I expect.

We are playing through it right now and it’s awesome though

:rock:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

At its age, if it's never been serviced, it could be leaky caps or some other part that's drifted out of spec.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Gibson Les Paul (no clue about year or anything):

Martin HD-28:

nice Martin, I have a d28 myself.

hopefully since it's been kicking around a while it's pretty stable, but do take care of it. don't leave it in hot cars.. attics, so on. keep it humidified if u can. hazarding a guess that one is worth probably 4k+ in that good condition. no idea what year that is but the older it is the more its worth. but even when they seem stable eventually weird things can happen like the bridge might pop out on a hot day.

That lp looks to be a 70s model. small humbucker covers and the giveaway deluxe script on the truss rod cover of course. the truss rod cover got reinstalled upside down though. classic. looks well played in. I bet that guitar absolutely owns.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 27, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I looked up the HD28's serial number and it's from 1977. 70s would match one of the year ranges that works for the LP's serial number, so that makes sense (the others were like 1993, 2003, or 2013, and that didn't make much sense to me).

Wife said there's more guitars at her mom's house if we want them, too

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Did you get the Boss Katana? Make sure you get the Boss Katana.