Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

massive spider posted:

I like to contest the Darkness and Steel Panther because on the surface they’re both doing the same gag but they illustrate the difference well between “camp” and “being a joke”. The Darkness are silly but with a level of sincerity running through their music and they write legitimately good songs. Steel Panther just suck, use their gimmick to cover up how much they suck and half their shtick is tedious ironic-not-ironic misogyny.

I'm not a fan of The Darkness, but I can respect the craft. I liked their debut single, but wouldn't want an album of it. I like Hawkins too - he's bright and he seems to give music a fair shake (despite the clickbait titles), but his "Me doth protest most merrily, my sire, good eve to you!" banter is like nails down a chalkboard to me. Basically, all good stuff, but none of its for me.

Steel Panther are gross, though.

landgrabber posted:

i and yeah even though i'm focused on emo so much, i love XTC lol. particularly the skylarking-apple venus era.

I think I've said in this thread before, but my emo period and my XTC period crossed over for sure. I didn't know poo poo about chords or whatever back then, I just liked them. More Drums and Wires era, though.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
There are only 2 types of guitarists: ones who think they could play Money for Nothing, and ones who have actually tried to play it

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Kazinsal posted:

That amp tone was a complete accident of unexpected microphone placement while trying to channel ZZ Top and Mark Knopfler himself has said he's never managed to dial it in 100% perfectly ever since the original recording session

I think the best part of it is that when you listen to Weird Al"s "Money For Nothing / Beverly Hillbillies," the guitar work itself sounds good but the tone clearly is is off ... and it's Knopfler himself playing, as that was his request when Yankovic approached him asking if it was okay to do the song. The tone on "Money For Nothing" really was lightning in a bottle, it's just incredible.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Disco Pope posted:

I'm not a fan of The Darkness, but I can respect the craft. I liked their debut single, but wouldn't want an album of it. I like Hawkins too - he's bright and he seems to give music a fair shake (despite the clickbait titles), but his "Me doth protest most merrily, my sire, good eve to you!" banter is like nails down a chalkboard to me. Basically, all good stuff, but none of its for me.

Steel Panther are gross, though.

I think I've said in this thread before, but my emo period and my XTC period crossed over for sure. I didn't know poo poo about chords or whatever back then, I just liked them. More Drums and Wires era, though.

my favorite earlier XTC album is Black Sea. respectable street is kinda emo as hell.

actually i guess maybe the crossover is that punk sentiments, politically, are still common in XTC music, particularly anti-war songs. the music just got old and pastoral as andy and colin got old and pastoral.

i do like making plans for nigel a lot because it's a good portrait of someone alienated by labor.

these days the three albums that i really can just sit and listen to and not do anything else, just actively listen to everything that's going on and be inspired by the art, are skylarking, fiona apple's tidal, and jimmy eat world's clarity album.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

whoever posted that Soldano god drat it now im gassing a plan to demo and exchange the d20 for one because would maybe actually be nice to have more than one channel and more control in the preamp

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

ethanol posted:

whoever posted that Soldano god drat it now im gassing a plan to demo and exchange the d20 for one because would maybe actually be nice to have more than one channel and more control in the preamp

I'm GASsing for it too but it's way too expensive for me at the moment.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ugh some old dude tried money for nothing acoustic solo right before my set the other week

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ethanol posted:

Dawg I’d buy a Soldano for one channel and only one channel. I bet the cleans are fine tho.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Man I know but I want to experiment with gain instead of recreate a deluxe reverb for the millionth time which I feel I’ve effectively done. I may revisit the revv d20 later tho now that I know what it can do

Edit now wait patiently for my ive made a huge mistake post

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 16, 2024

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Anyone who doesn’t mostly play metal: you do yourself a disservice by not, at least, trying filtertrons. They are wholly their own thing and arguably the third greatest after Tele bridge and PAF.

the baritone gretsch i had for a while sounded so mean with a low tuning and those things. think the lower tuning really makes them sing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

muike posted:

the baritone gretsch i had for a while sounded so mean with a low tuning and those things. think the lower tuning really makes them sing

Same thing with danelectro lipsticks
everyone just assumes a guitar that looks stuck in the 50s can't shred and they're so wrong, danos go harder than any PRS/Jackson/spikey 7+ string could ever hope to and they do it with grace

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I declare this tube liberated from the metal junkies

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

ethanol posted:

I declare this tube liberated from the metal junkies

I thought the metal one was the G20?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah im on a soldano now

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Same thing with danelectro lipsticks
everyone just assumes a guitar that looks stuck in the 50s can't shred and they're so wrong, danos go harder than any PRS/Jackson/spikey 7+ string could ever hope to and they do it with grace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-GLB33MT_E

I keep waiting for the old dude to drop a face-melting solo...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-GLB33MT_E

I keep waiting for the old dude to drop a face-melting solo...

hahaha holy poo poo I didn't know they ever made a V
that whole thing must weight like 3 pounds

and they stuck with the strip of wood bridge on it, my word
it's beautiful

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
It's not Danelectro, but Danelectro-esque. Still, pretty cool.

Some day I'll get around to my Masonite explorer bass...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Soldano Astro 20 seems good. real good. but I might need an attenuator to access all of it? idk. tube amps with master volumes are foreign to me. I definitely need to be waaay down on both the master volume and the channel volume knobs to not blow out my walls.

I can get break up and get a lot of gain and stuff at usable practice levels but I can't tell atm what it's doing to the sound to be so low on the volume knobs.

I did have to trade my tonemaster TR away for the extra cost of it, but im pretty satisfied not having that particular amp anymore

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Danelectro guitars may play like greased sex and their pedals my sound like the choir of god, but I'd never know since I'm not literally a 65 year old car show enthusiast in a bowling shirt

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I know because I'm a 32 year old accountant and body double for guy fieri

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you're not truly a boomer guitar player until you commit to growing out your nails

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ethanol posted:

you're not truly a boomer guitar player until you commit to growing out your nails

Should get you put on a “likely a sex offender” registry.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

ethanol posted:

Soldano Astro 20 seems good. real good. but I might need an attenuator to access all of it? idk. tube amps with master volumes are foreign to me. I definitely need to be waaay down on both the master volume and the channel volume knobs to not blow out my walls.

I can get break up and get a lot of gain and stuff at usable practice levels but I can't tell atm what it's doing to the sound to be so low on the volume knobs.

I did have to trade my tonemaster TR away for the extra cost of it, but im pretty satisfied not having that particular amp anymore

I am super jealous. GASsing hard right now!

re: attenuation, dudes on TGP seem to say it doesn't need it. 🤷‍♂️
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-soldano-amp-the-astro-20.2512644/post-38136724

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah the amp is so new there’s v little info about it except a few forums.. like that’s one of the few mentions of turning volume down.

the youtubers are terrible at demoing it as usual and as a result of their settings and play style these amps are getting categorized into certain genres. My first take is it will be great for a wide arrange of styles from clean or pedal driven drive to no pedal hi gain and the blue and purple channels seem great for somewhere in between

Side comment… Maybe newer tubes or the master volume approach instead of an attenuation circuit but it seems a lot less noisy than the revv was recording into my sm57.

Edit: I think the biggest thing to point out with this amp in its price point is there is no onboard reactive loadbox. (And some of the YouTubers claim it does have a loadbox specifically. It does not.)The di and cab sim comes after the preamp. So soldano has a dsp that models the poweramp if you do the silent DI.

But do science and for a master volume amp that does so much of its effect in the preamp that’s not a big deal? So putting a reactive load on it is maybe pointless. Question mark?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 17, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

20 soldano watts would still be too loud for my apartment.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

He says as his “buy” click finger hovers over a 5150III EL34 100.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

20 watts is enormously loud but you can turn it down and still get good sound on these, like for real this time.

gregday
May 23, 2003

NGD

Hjalp, I cannot stop buying Les Pauls.

The natural one is the new one.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gregday posted:

That's my favorite looking one on the wall if we're not counting sparkle-blue Tele

good get

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
cheap epi V in the mail my first V

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

gregday posted:

NGD

Hjalp, I cannot stop buying Les Pauls.

Oof! Is that the J Mascis tele?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mod project update. I was initially going to do the good black base with an airbrush but that was time consuming and tricky to get even. Also the thin layers actually brought out wood detail from my sanding that didn't look great. Got a rattle can from Halfords which worked a treat.

The silver was done with the airbrush, dark then light aluminium. I think the back looks more even in person than the photo but will probably do a touch up, I'm happy with the front besides one spot in the bottom left which should be a quick fix.

There's a little damage to the paint where I handled it at the neck joint, hopefully I can fix it without risk to the rest of it, but some of it should be covered by the neck and plate.

Grum
May 7, 2007

ethanol posted:

Been doing that since I was 16. Did discover at one point that the length of your nails can be significantly shorter than most players use and still work fine (I'm firmly in the "you always touch the string with the flesh of your finger before plucking, no exceptions" camp) so I am stealth. But I do require access to a nail file at all times, for my health

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I guess I have a qc problem with the soldano because I just tried to turn it on and no sound except a dull hum would come out, until I slammed the top of it with it with my hand a few times and make it screech like there are loose contacts, and then it sort of clicked in and and started working again. and now hitting it does nothing and it sounds fine. so that's me thinking it's solder warming up and not tube. guess I'll see if I can reproduce it with a full cold soak again

gregday
May 23, 2003

It is indeed the J Mascis tele. I have a thing for blue guitars.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm going to rebuy a Squier Bass VI sometime soon, anyone have opinions on strings? I had one 10 years ago and I recall stock was kinda floppy, plus I'm going to downtune a whole step.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

bees x1000 posted:

I'm going to rebuy a Squier Bass VI sometime soon, anyone have opinions on strings? I had one 10 years ago and I recall stock was kinda floppy, plus I'm going to downtune a whole step.

Anything .95 or thicker should be good. I like the flatwound la bella set, and the string joy set for round wounds.

You may also consider a staytrem or mastery bridge if you have intonation problems

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So this is one of those classic Letterman performances I've probably watched 3-4 times a year since I saw it live (TV On the Radio), but I didn't know they had done a newer performance for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlHrCg67axw

And in addition to being one of the horniest songs ever written, watch the dude play that telecaster. That's how you do that poo poo.

The original in case someone isn't familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxawVMQ02dc

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

bees x1000 posted:

My issue with the off the rack sets is that the sets that have a heavy enough low string have way too much tension on the high strings for my taste. I do a Kalium set on mine, .021, .029, .039, .053, .073, .098.

If you go that route you'll have to break out the tape measure to figure out where you need the tapers to be, because mine is all kinds of not standard, with a custom neck and hardtail conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Huxley posted:

So this is one of those classic Letterman performances I've probably watched 3-4 times a year since I saw it live (TV On the Radio), but I didn't know they had done a newer performance for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlHrCg67axw

And in addition to being one of the horniest songs ever written, watch the dude play that telecaster. That's how you do that poo poo.

The original in case someone isn't familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxawVMQ02dc

Reading your post as soon as I got to "classic Letterman performances" I thought "yeah like when tv on the radio did wolf like me."