Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's pretty cheap and easy to swap out for a switchcraft switch. LP style switches are very easy to work with.

Yeah that repair takes about 10 minutes and most of that is warming up the soldering iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

What sort of real guitar player cancels a sweetwater order

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

They always just send me smarties which go straight into the trash

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

this is why i avoid pedals that have apps

Yeah my tc flashback was cool for about a week before I realized that I could never remember which preset was on there at a given time.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Most of the joyo stuff is great. They make a great rat clone. I'm guessing it's not a real analogue delay though. It probably uses a PT2399 to emulate a bucket brigade. They sound really good though!

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=17484

Looks like it is a cd 2399

Armacham fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 17, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Something like a compressor, EQ, or clean boost might benefit from the increased headroom l, but if you have clipping stages it doesn't really matter.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

are there any more pedals that do this with different amps?

Tons of pedals. Just search for amp in a box.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

oh i meant more like just ripping off the preamp section of a given amp, i know there's lots of amp-in-a-box pedals but i assume they're just drive pedals voiced to sound certain ways

as i type this i'm realizing i honestly don't know how a preamp and a drive pedal varies in terms of circuitry

Yep a ton of drive pedals are literally just the preamp stage of an amp in a stomp box. You can pretty much just replace a tube with a JFET in a given design. Here's an example of a fender preamp : https://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Relevant to the preamp talk, here are a couple of Aclam Dr Robert clones that I'm working on, which is basically a pedal version of the Vox UL730. That was a solid state preamp, with a tube power section.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

luchadornado posted:

I'm surprised someone went to the effort of diagramming/printing that but it's cool that it won't die with Aclam. I have a Dr Robert and it definitely nails the 1967 Beatles tone, but unless you're playing those exact songs it can be a difficult pedal to use. It's not really a great tone on its own (IMO), it's a great tone because it was used on legendary albums, if that makes any sense.

My dad is a huge Beatles guy from back in the day, so he should get a lot of use out of it. And I might as well make one for myself if I'm making one for him too!

I'm just about finished with the enclosures. I'm going with a Blue Meanie theme.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

luchadornado posted:

That's awesome! I didn't mean to sound like I was down on the pedal. I love mine, but it cost $300 to play some Beatles songs and it's just hard for me to justify keeping it for that since I'm not in a Beatles cover band or anything. I'll probably sell it, miss it, and buy one of those clones some day.

No worries! Yeah I think at $300+ I would have a tough time justifying it, but building two of my own only cost about $100 and a few hours of my time. If you ever do wanna sell it and buy a clone, hit me up and I'll build you one for cost of parts and shipping lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I got a baritone ukulele last year tuned DGBE and that got me thinking a lot about chords without that low E or A string.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The Leck posted:

definitely thought about getting a tenor guitar and tuning it this way because eh, I spent most of my time on the high strings anyway. It seems like it would be a fun experiment at least.

The worst possible outcome is that you have another guitar

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Bad monkey

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

i think if i chanced a gibson i'd try the 61 sgs due to weight and whatever it is about sgs making them sound a little brighter (the pickup position, maybe?), but i'd be way more inclined to give another s2 or like a tokai a shot before that

Yeah the neck pickup on the SG is closer to the bridge pickup than on an LP. The double cutaway and thinner body might have some effect as well.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I want that jazzmaster XII

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That nut is cut and filed correctly, something Fender sometimes has trouble with.

The nut on my Bass VI was so bad lmao.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah those are neat

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

No honey, I've always had dozens of pedals, they've just been in the closet this whole time

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I saw No Doubt play with Garbage and the Distillers in 2002. What an amazing show that was

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

TheKub posted:

I bought some rechargeable 9v batteries to power my active pickups, but when I install them I am getting a high pitch electronic noise. I assume the kind I bought are not suitable for this task, the usb plugs directly into the battery for recharge so there must be electronics onboard. Is there a time-tested rechargeable 9v that is good for the job?

Could also be the lower voltage. Rechargeable 9v really only put out like 8.4v

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

It looks like it's through Brook Mays using Amazon as a storefront. Brook Mays is a legit music store in Texas. You may want to look on their website to see if you can order directly through them.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

landgrabber posted:

i mean most band names are stupid when you look at them divorced from their careers. The Beatles is an incredibly lame pun

The Who?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

People are still talking about them 60 years later, for one.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The poo poo they did with nothing more than a four track is amazing.

Reminds me that I finished my Aclam Dr Robert clones a few weeks ago

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm the same way, I absolutely can not play a guitar with tacky strings. I wash my hands before I sit down to play and I wipe my strings down with some cheap flanel cloth you can get 3x3ft for $3 at walmart or any craft store

Have you tried GHS fast fret? It sounds like gimmicky snake oil, and it pretty much is just oil that you can put on your strings. It doesn't do the claimed "make your strings last forever" thing it purports to do, but if you apply it once when you change strings and then every week or so it really does make a difference. I swear by the stuff and have used it for ages now. Give it a try.

Yeah the fast fret is awesome. It's mostly lanolin from sheep's wool iirc. Definitely smells like it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

John Lennon's earlier band the Quarrymen was typically advertised on bills as performing "Skiffle, Country/Western, and rock" so you are not wrong about the folk music thing.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Folk and bluegrass is fun as poo poo to play too

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, I think the keyword here is “brushing”, cause thinking of it like brushing across the neck makes a lot more sense. But I’m not used to it and my shoulder/back muscles are getting tired :sweatdrop: I think this is enough to work on, thanks!

Actually I’ve got another question. If you’re supposed to always be moving instead of only moving on the beats to play, how do you consistently play when you want to and vice versa? I keep catching stray strings and missing the ones I want.

Muting and practice basically!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

petit choux posted:

I don't often have anything to show off ITT so here goes. And besides, it's so purdy.

drat if you were near me I'd be hella tempted to try to take it off your hands. At least I'm assuming you're not in Southern Arizona.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I just got my first strat and can I ask why the gently caress the volume knob is where it is

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

duodenum posted:

The volume knob is definitely in the wrong place, and even Yngwie has to drop the far side of that middle pickup to keep it out of the way of the picking. Truly a cursed design.

I think I'll probably take out one of the tone knobs and slide everything down to just have a single volume and tone knobs. I'll put a googly eye over the empty volume knob hole or something.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

My Floyd rose is one of those old ones where it just slams into the body on top because there is no recess. I usually adjust the tension so it's just barely off the body. that seems right to me but I don't know poo poo

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Sid Vicious couldn't even do that much lmao

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

With radio shack closed, where can I physically go to in order to find discrete analog electronic components? I need a few things for an electronics project and don't want to order them online

You'll have to find a local hobby shop of some kind. There is one in my town, but it's still cheaper to order online for literally any amount because they mark up everything so much.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I've just got my first Floyd rose and it's taken me about a week to figure it out and dial it in correctly. Also muting is kind of weird to get used to compared to my hard tails.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

mewse posted:

I've been working on a LP kit for 3 years because I discovered I hate woodworking

Lol I have a strat and a tele that I will never complete because same. The electronics are all ready, but I need to cut the head stocks and do all the painting and finishing. I think I've had the kits since Obama was president

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

If you trade for it, it doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Less tastelessly, what are people's opinions on shielding in guitars?

It feels a bit like a tonewood thing, and I can't find any straight answers beyond how to do it.

The cranky dude who does Luthiery Labs sez no point as you can't really shield a pickup, which is probably going to be the biggest potential antenna, but he tends to have OPINIONS about stuff like this.

I didn't notice a difference on any of my guitars that I've done it on.