Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Hi, I’m new here. Just bought my first guitar, a 40th anniversary squire strat. Continuing a conversation from the gear trade thread… anyone have any tips that might help me get started?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Get lessons if you can. Education >>> gear

moon demon posted:

Thanks for this. I’ve been thinking about it for a bit. I have little kids (1 and 3) so my only real “me” time is post-8pm after the kids are in bed. Because of this I don’t think I can commit to actual human taught lessons until the kids are a little older. So, I was thinking of trying various educational apps/videos that I can do at night. I’ve heard good things about justinguitar, and also plan on trying out Rocksmith (I dropped $20 and bought the 2014 version before it’s being delisted later this month).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

my guitar arrived earlier this week and last night i fired up justin guitar for the first time. played for about an hour. i've never really vibed with any sort of video learning, but justin is just so chill and makes it feel like an actual person is talking to you rather than a video. liking it so far. i played a few chords for my 3yr old and blew her MIND. but my fingers hurt today tho lmao

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

ok so i've been jamming (very poorly) with my new guitar but it's doing this thing where the strings buzz a lot, even when i somehow manage to not gently caress up a chord. like i play the chord and just hold it and it buzzes. it sounds to me like the string is hitting other frets. is this normal? i've read I can go get the guitar "professionally set up," whatever that means, which may fix it?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

so i ended up taking my new guitar to guitar center where they promptly did... some stuff. and now it sounds awesome ;) he didn't explain what he was doing but it looked like he was loosening the screw at the top of the neck, which I'm guessing affects the curve of the neck?

they had a used RAT pedal there for only $50, which i tried to buy, but they couldn't sell it to me due to some weird CA pawn shop laws...? wtf :whitewater: anyway my skill level is nowhere near deserving of any kind of effects but man this clean sound ain't gonna cut it for long. guess i can wait till christmas...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I’m gonna Get The Rat but I told my wife I wouldn’t spend any more money on this hobby until I suck less :pressf:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

that's the neat part, you never stop sucking

once I can play cherub rock then it’s gloves off baby

Though technically our agreement was no more money until I suck less which, with some liberal interpretation could mean this very evening after I practice some more. Rules Lawyering your SO can lead to powers that some deem… unnatural

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

When I was trying out the RAT the guy at guitar center took my guitar for a spin for a min… it turns out it actually can make pleasant sounds when in the hands of someone not me

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you want the Siamese sound you may want to consider the op-amp muff
https://reverb.com/p/electro-harmonix-op-amp-big-muff-reissue-fuzz

Oh….

Oh my

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I’m gonna Get The Rat!!!

Also, I came across this song that is sick as hell and I am curious how they created this sound. Specifically the outro section (roughly the last 2 min). The band isn’t very well known it seems so I couldn’t find anything in my brief googling. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/ZEmfNgNKIR0?si=I4zur2nLPTprhO_U

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

keep the siamese dream recs comin' i'm taking notes

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3maPm8xzbHo

I've really enjoyed this guys channel since I found him a while ago. His video titles and images are 100% annoying SEO bait but the videos themselves are interesting and he seems like a cool dude. I'm linking him because he is also a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan and he references them a lot.

This is awesome. A pumpkins mega fan in a shoegaze band. Basically goals

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

It seems to me that the cost in pedals to recreate siamese dream is at least like 3x more than what I paid for this guitar lmao

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

field balm posted:

Lmao. I'll believe it, seems like the worst possible amp to use if you want a clean platform though! My entire knowledge of bolly's tone is from a hazily remembered preface to one of their tab books from 25 years ago, I should probably brush up.

Anyway the important thing is the sd tone (like a lot of recorded guitar sounds) is mainly studio magic. I love pumpkin's bootlegs, their live tone ruled but didn't really sound like the record.

E: if you can find the version of disarm they played at the mtv awards in 94, it's an awesome example of how they were almost a completely different band live to on record.

EE: looks like it's been reuploaded but the quality sucks on this one https://youtu.be/kAPPciGdvPY?si=paDkQrokEjnDC_Lr

ok i mean i hear you that studio and live are not the same for all the reasons mentioned. not to get all ~~smashing pumpkins lore~~ itt but that performance is like, their worst ever (on film anyway), and if my memory serves was done intentionally bad because billy didn't want to play that song and hosed it up in protest against the VMA producers

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

also, being a SP stan, I really like that performance because although it sounds like poo poo it really shows their progression from the siamese dream era to the mellon collie era, which i also adore (heh)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

im old enough to have been a teenager blasting a gish CD on repeat in my shitbox car while wishing the pumpkins would reunite one day, but not old enough to have actually lived through their heyday

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

...but I ain't never crossed a riff that didn't deserve it

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Early MCR fucks

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Where do you guys buy your tone juice? My new squire is running low and might need to be refilled soon

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

a.p. dent posted:

Why is it that when other composers use inversions it sounds amazing and unique but when i use them it sounds like nothing

See a few posts up RE tone juice. Or you might need just one more pedal

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

On my worst days I like to think "if the guys in Good Charlotte could play well enough to form a band, I certainly can."

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Harton posted:

I was at a Weezer concert where Cold? was booed off stage and I’m pretty sure quit the tour.

oof, that's cold...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Be nice to good charlotte please

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

That fukken rat

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

why didnt anyone tell me about garageband

i'm making digital pedalboards up in here

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I always wanted to try the where the streets have no name intro riff with the delays. So I did that in GarageBand. Not sure I got very close but it sounded cool!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Verman posted:

That's a fun one. I remember when I picked up my most recent strat, there were a handful of songs I wanted to play and that was one of them. For whatever reason I thought it was going to be more technically challenging but it's getting the delay correct and then just matching the rhythm.

The first few times I tried playing it, the delay made it difficult for me. I played it clean to the song just to get a sense of what was needed, then brought in the delay.

surely you mean delays :skink:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

i had a piano teacher with tourettes as a kid. he would just burst out "gently caress" while i was playing. i was like 10. it sounds made up but it's true. I also remember he had super super dry hands and they were always super cracked. as a kid i was horrified by him and my journey to learn piano did not last... but now as an adult i just feel bad for him. i could handle the tourettes but the guy really really needed to see a dermatologist (this was way way beyond just using hand lotion). I wonder what he's up to these days.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe I just fuckin sucked

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Stalizard posted:

boomer energy zone

mods plz

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Where you finding these?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

so ive been playing for about a month now. most nights i gently caress around on the couch w/ justinguitar playing and headphones plugged into my mustang micro headphone amp. it probably sounds like poo poo to my wife who would only be hearing the strings w/o any amplification. anyway, last night for the first time since i started playing she told me it actually sounded like i was playing music lmao

i was playing the intro riff to nirvana's mr moustache. i had heard that the riff is good for beginners who want to practice stretching their fingers, and honestly its a lot of fun once you get going. turns out a lot of nirvana is actually kinda approachable to a complete beginner like myself

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

ColdPie posted:

That rules, congrats. I love the Mustang Micro, perfect for practice sessions.

Thanks, it felt pretty good hearing that, I hadn’t even considered that maybe I’ve already come a long way in only a month.

Totally agree on the mustang micro. I initially bought an amp when I bought my guitar, but as I started to actually play I realized most of the time I’m just on the couch late at night with sleeping kids down the hall. It became a pain to lug the amp out and plug it in, so the micro has been great. Anything to make it easier to bust out the guitar for some practice. I just wish I could use it with AirPods.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I bought a katana. The amount of settings is overwhelming but I’m having a blast. Anyone got any Pro Tips?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Need to find the Rat setting

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I’m still struggling to not make the strings make the fart noise. Is that a style?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

behold, I will play you a song in the style of “my posts”

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

what on earth

wonder what that thing sounds like

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

massive spider posted:

Helix users 3.7 update is out. Theres a feedacker and a reverse reverb so I made some noisy doom https://voca.ro/1gvmgVxJ09tf

is this tone?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Neural DSP plug-ins are 50% off for black friday… which one(s) to buy….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I’ve been trying a bunch and yeah rabea is sick. I’m looking for a Swiss Army knife plug-in and that one kinda fits the bill. Also enjoying Nolly.