Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hello new thread, I look forward to lurking and occasionally talking about which guitars look cool and how much fun it is to play nothing but power chords with too much distortion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I just heard about powering 9v equipment like pedals with a usb battery. Have any of you done that and could recommend me the right cables to do that? I’d love to connect 2 or three pedals to one battery if possible.

I’m hoping to take some stuff out to a nearby quarry and blast some noise into it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Baron von Eevl posted:

There are USB powered rechargeable batteries that are specifically designed for use with audio equipment; they don't have the components that introduce noise built into the battery, they have that in a separate external charger. I'm not aware of anything that lets you use a single battery for multiple pedals, generally you're putting a battery into each one that takes a battery. If it doesn't take a battery, you can use this ridiculous thing that Danelectro built that seems almost entirely useless: https://danelectro.com/product/battery-billionaire/

I ended up getting this cable since it was so cheap

And it seems to work great so far! I might try a daisy chain to see if I can get two or three things working with it. Even just the one is great though. I’m going to blast some more holes in that quarry :black101:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

disco_stu posted:

I do this! I have ten pedals that I power with 2 batteries and 2 daisy chains. It works great, with the added benefit of zero ground noise.

Hell yeah :respek: Thanks, I’ll get a longer daisy chain now :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Silly question here, but what would happen if I turned a pickup 90 degrees?

I made a super lovely djent stick, one bass string on a 2x4 with an active pickup. I’m just running it through distortion and reverb and sounding like Sunn with a little Eyehategod, using a compressed air can as a slide and an Ebow for long drones.

I don’t have a saw here so before I bring this taped up piece of crap somewhere to chop it up further is there any reason to think it might be worthwhile or will turning the pickup do something obviously too crappy to use? In my head I imagine it being suuuuuuper heavy that way but I’m bad at music and gear obviously

Snowy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 30, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Baron von Eevl posted:

It'll work but the field would be over a lot of the string so it'll be pretty dark but also extremely loud.

If you put it that way, I’m definitely trying it :getin:

Today though is for pushing hot metal into dry ice. The best part of getting something from Omaha steaks for a gift. The variety of horrific sounds is amazing. But that’s something for another thread :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m better at using a physical knob than a digital one. Sad but true

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Armacham posted:

I get lost in menus because of ADHD so I really need a physical interface for everything.

:same:

Trying to learn Ableton is a living hell but I’m trying

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

sounds like some of you would rather just play with your knobs than play guitar

Finally someone who gets it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any thread-favorite budget looper and distortion pedals?

A friend at work has dabbled in guitar in the past but doesn’t have one so I’m going to give her a great deal on an Ibanez Roadcore and a Yamaha thr10x. She still wants a couple pedals but I have never used a looper. I’d probably just suggest Behringer and Mooer but figured I should ask the thread. She described her style as 90s art school, so distortion is cool but she’s not playing death metal or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

homewrecker posted:

I used a Lekato Looper (basically a knock-off of the TC Electronic Ditto+ looper) for a little bit and it was pretty good for the price:
https://www.amazon.com/LEKATO-Synchronous-Recording-Function-Unlimited/dp/B094N3HNMV

I guess it's more of an overdrive but I think it's pretty versatile, the Joyo Ultimate Drive (knock-off of the Fulltone OCD) is what I'd recommend for a budget drive pedal for someone who is just starting out with effects:
https://www.amazon.com/JOYO-Ultimate-Overdrive-Bordering-Distortion/dp/B085QKLKR2

Even better if you can buy a set of googly eyes and stick them on before you give her the pedal.

Awesome, thank you, those look great :cheers: