Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

duodenum posted:

You will also need another acoustic tuned for The Rain Song and an electric in Open C for Devin Townsend stuff.

:hai:

A guitar in C is just fuckin fun as hell to mess around with. "The Oracle" by Crown Lands is a really groovy song in open C (I think; either that or drop C) that I absolutely love, not only because it's got a bunch of different inspirations that all mesh together really well to form a solid prog rock song in C but also because the band is literally two musicians. The drummer is the vocalist and the guitarist plays a Rickenbacker double neck 6-string guitar/4 string bass as well as keyboards and a Moog Taurus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5LXhafq0AM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

muike posted:

I think it sounds tight when you mix it with a clean electric sound. Not on its own

This is more or less how I run it. Guitar goes into Helix effects, splits into two paths, one of which is a big block of DSP cores assigned to a dreadnought acoustic sim, the other being a light chorus and a slight volume duck before they get mixed back together. It sounds okay without the chorus side but the combination of the two makes it sound good instead of just alright.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jesus CHRIST pat this went some absolutely incredible places.

Elissimpark posted:

poo poo. I was looking forward to Pat's new video but now I'm worried...

this is the greatest 43 minutes and 40 seconds ever uploaded to youtube

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I heard that loving machine gun kelly song while I was getting a haircut now my evening is ruined

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That lovely bastard put out a full version of Mad This Summer.

https://augustisfalling.bandcamp.com/track/mad-this-summer

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

widefault posted:

What about an ash-bodied Les Paul with a maple neck?

I'd rock this just to gently caress with guitarists in the front row.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I still can't believe that the August is Falling EP is actually so loving good.

God drat and/or bless you, Pat Finnerty.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

here's one for landgrabber

https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1565772419209564166

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beato produced one lovely #1 pop country song in 2005 or some poo poo and that's his crowning life accomplishment that he could never recreate, so now he just makes boomertastic clickbait videos that appeal to people who think Ben Shapiro has a point about rap not being music. Partnering with Gibson is a perfect self-explanatory damnation of everyone involved.

If anything, Pat Finnerty is too light on him.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stalizard posted:

how dare you

this is a bon scott household, i broke it in with something off powerage

:hfive: I broke in my Double Jet with Riff Raff

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Today I heard a Billy Talent song featuring Rivers Cuomo on the radio and it was bizarre as hell. Like if Billy Talent was trying to parody Weezer in their own style.

Immediately thought of this thread when it came on.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tad Naff posted:

Ha, get back to us when

Whenever someone sees my wall of guitars the conversation inevitably goes "Wow, that's a lot of guitars. You must be in a pretty cool band." "...band?"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I don't have any new gear or anything but tomorrow night I'm seeing one of my favourite bluesy singer/guitarists in concert, Colin James. Fuckin stooooked, the venue's only about a 2000 person capacity and I'm in row 7 dead center.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Malaria posted:

I decided I'd learn how to do sweep picking a little while ago.

Several days and hours of practice later and I am utterly defeated. My brain just can't do it. This is like the first time I've felt like throwing my guitar out of frustration since like when I was trying to learn barre chords 25ish years ago as a kid. It just feels totally foreign and not do able.

Sweeping is dumb and I'm mad I can't even do a lovely Yngwie impression.

I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years and I still can't do it. At this point I'm pretty much okay with just being a primarily rhythm guitarist.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comedy option: the Alex Lifeson signature Epiphone Les Paul. It's like the anti-blues lawyer LP: Floyd Rose, piezo with fade, coil split, comfort and lightening carves, and dual output jacks. The only way it could be better is if it had the Fishman Fluences from the Prophecy series in them.

Ooh, there's another good not-boomer Les Paul, actually. There's a Prophecy Les Paul but I don't think it comes in anything resembling traditional Les Paul finishes.

e: these are all pretty sick nasty tbh https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Collection/prophecy

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

I will also restate that while I'm selling my Gibson I am 100% getting another Les Paul. Les Pauls are amazing.

Probably getting a humbucker one this time I think. Play that through my JCM2000 clone. Pure rock.

Edit: If the Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy didn't have active pickups it'd be perfect, altho honestly I'm thinking of checking one out because I hear great things about Fishman pickups.

They're "active" in the sense that they have 9VDC-powered circuitry to alter their tonal characteristics on the fly, not in the 80s/90s "MORE VOLTS MAKE MY PICKUPS MORE ANGRY" sense of active. The push/pull on the tone knob lets you switch between Burstbucker and Fishman Modern and then push-pull on the individual volume knobs lets you toggle coil split for the bridge and neck pickups individually. Also they've got locking tuners so there's really nothing you need to add to them.

As soon as I find a store nearby where I can sit down with one of the Exturas and make sure it feels good in my hands I'm buying one of the ones in purple burst.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

When that song came out my first thought was “chad no the dark horse/here and now era is one best left in the past you’re better than this”

Song stinks, sorry Nickelback. Can’t defend this one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Their first three albums are excellent. Then there’s a bit of a curve downwards and back up until you hit the last album, which is back to really good. I could write proper :words: about it but it’s a defence of nickelback so it’ll probably just lead to me being on a bunch of ignore lists lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The first three Nickelback albums are really interesting because they're sufficiently grunge that the inclusion of "How You Remind Me" on Silver Side Up feels like an aberration that they threw in just because the label wanted a poppy single.

Like, that album opens with this song, which is downright heavy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5zFsftnkWE

Unfortunately following the success of "How You Remind Me", every Nickelback album is at least 30% single bait by volume. The remaining 70% is a gamble as to whether they're going to be stinkers or actually pretty good. All The Right Reasons was 50% stinkers Dark Horse was almost a full 70% stinkers. Here and Now was 50% stinkers. They recovered on Feed the Machine but this new album's looking like it's sliding back into stinker-heavy.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 15, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the man is powerful and made lynyrd skynyrd mad as hell. truly one of canada's national treasures

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I pulled my old Fender acoustic (steel string) out of the closet and hooo boy these strings are grody and cannot handle a low tune for poo poo. I can't remember the last time I restrung it.

Still sounds great for the whole ten seconds it's in tune though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comedy option: fill the cavity with scrap wood and bolt on one of those Floyd Rose retrofit kits for hardtail Gibsons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm not one to post Beato but god drat he interviewed Steve Lukather and the dude is the most awesome, humble, friendly seeming of living guitar legends. I would love to just hang out with someone so well-traveled in the art for a couple hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nBbzajS29o

Also his Music Man signature is a beautiful guitar. My first Music Man love is the classic John Petrucci, but one of these days I'm gonna get a Luke.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

L&M has Epiphone Prophecy Exturas in stock at their warehouse and I'm having a really hard time not pulling the trigger completely blind. I don't like to buy a guitar I haven't had any hands on time with and that's what's keeping me from doing it. If they had one in stock at my local store I'd give it a solid hour of testing through a Mark V (since they have a shitload of Mesas in stock) but no dice.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

duodenum posted:

I don't think Japan takes Nazi imagery seriously at all. It's just cosplay to them.

Considering their general stance that nothing bad ever happened that they were involved in between 1930 and 1945, this is entirely unsurprising.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lungboy posted:

Oh no, what's up with Iced Earth? Saying that they've had a shitload of lineup changes, so is it a specific person/period that's problematic?

Jon Schaffer is a founding member of the Oathkeepers far-right militia and pled guilty to storming the US capitol on January 6.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Oil this poor thing

fretboard so dry it looks like it just took a sip from the fake holy grail

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lower the side that the lower strings are on a bit then see how it sounds. If it's less bassy but still a bit too much so, give the screw another turn or so to lower it a bit more. The lower the magnets are from the strings, the less powerful of an "imprint" the strings apply to the magnetic field of the pickup.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Colin James was the best show I’ve been to this decade. Man has some serious energy on top of being an incredibly soulful bluesman.

Rush R40 was probably the best I’ve ever been to though. Those guys played their hearts out and hearing Losing It live was an absolute treasure.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I did it, gang. I finally found a 12AX7 in stock at a brick and mortar store.

Now to figure out how to swap a tube in this Mark V lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well then. Turned on my Mark V, it sounded way too loud and was clipping my cabclone, and then it started smelling funny. Like, ozone and electrical shorts funny.

That was an expensive thirty seconds of playing guitar.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Southern Cassowary posted:

randall smith has astrally projected into your amp to break it and make you buy a mark vii

MY MIIIIND’S TELLING ME NO

BUT MY BODY

MY BOOOODYYYYY IS TELLING ME YEEEEESSS

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

they counting the jp2c as mark vi?

They're saying they did a Mark VI prototype internally then I guess kitbashed improvements from the 2C onto it and went "ehhhhh it's more of a Mark VII now".

Looks like channel 1 is clean/fat/crunch, channel 2 is fat/crunch/Mk7, and channel 3 is MkIIB/MkIIC+/MkIV. So they canned Tweed, Edge, and Xtreme. The manual says that Mk7 is supposed to be somewhere between a Mark IV and a Triple Crown. Also they jammed a full on IR box into it so I guess that explains why it's loving $3500 USD :stare:

e: They added native MIDI support and footswitchable reverb as well, that's kinda handy for people who gig a bunch.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The lovely folks at Mesa walked me through diagnosing my Mark V over the phone and found a blown 12AX7 and told me how to replace it. Now I don't have to impulsively go into debt for a Mark VII, hooray!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This makes me wonder if people with relic'd gear are precious about not destroying the precision wear

Thinkin about that time Chapman started selling relic’d British Standards they couldn’t fulfill the full order for and posted a video of the relicking process involving Rob Chapman dragging the guitars around on a rocky beach

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh wow.

I want like, four of those.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

I do apologise! M/B mark V 25 is first on the list for me.

Recommendation: save up another couple hundred bucks and get the 35. It’s more versatile with better controls and a better foot switch and can be set to a 10W or 25W power section if you need to drop the power output a bit.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Hmm. How much bigger is it physically? Kinda love the cute size of the 25.

18 inches wide by 10 deep.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Leck posted:

lps with 3 single coils are still cool, right?

Is it bad that now I kind of want an HSS LP with a floating trem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gramps posted:

LG this might be your guitar here. Bridge humbucker, Neck P90, offset, Pink, good hardtail bridge. Keep a look out for these for sure

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-b-stock-instruments-tribute-doheny-shell-pink-rw-3

God drat, if they shipped to Canada, I'd buy it.