Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This thread inspired me so I bought a Boss Katana Mk. II and a used Fender Player Strat and am gonna learn guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Verman posted:

Welcome to playing guitar!

So what guitar are you going to buy next?

An SG like my hero, the protagonist from the manga "Beck"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Practicing guitar is really fun!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Guitar practice today was not fun, I tried to practice cupping my pinky during the spider exercise thing and almost vomitted from the mental effort of keeping my fingers arched and moving them individually. Was rewarding because I can now sometimes cup my fingies.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
D chord, A chord, E chord.... and the minor versions of those... Being able to do strumming patterns in time cause I did drums for 3 years. Soon no one on this Earth will be able to match my skill with the 6 strings of steel....

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How do I tell if my guitar needs a setup or has high action? My first ever guitar feels hard to play but it's also the first guitar that I've ever played so I have no frame of reference for stuff. Like I feel like I have to push the strings hard but that's also a guitar noob mistake....

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Could be high action, could be strings that are too heavy gauge wise, or you could just not have a good frame of reference yet like you said. You can buy a string action gauge on amazon pretty cheap. I like to set my guitars up with about 1.25mm action on the bass side and about .75mm on the treble side, that's over the 12th fret, and on an electric. Acoustics will be different I guess, I don't know much about them. What guitar do you have?

I have a mim fender strat with .9 strings. I'll probably cop a string action gauge just to have hard data on my guitar's action instead of guessing, didnt even know those existed lol

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Alternate picking fast feels so weird and sounds so awful.... I will continue to practice it until I get better.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This might sound dumb or like I'm bragging or something but I've never understood how struggling with alternate picking is a thing. Like, how else are you supposed to pick? Do people just downpick everything? I don't recall ever intentionally learning or practicing alternate picking but I know its a thing because its a huge deal in online guitar communities. Same with downward pick slanting. I was really surprised that holding your pick at an angle relative to the strings was this huge epiphany and that there's zillions of youtube videos describing and discussing it when it's like, yeah my hand just does that when I play fast? For me, the much harder thing is left hand synchronization. My speed is fully gated by my fingers tying themselves in knots at higher tempos.

It's just that doing it at a high tempo or with a bunch of subdivisions sounds really warbly and uneven, at this point in my guitar journey. Like I can do eighth notes and triplets with upstrums but as soon as it gets to sixteenths, especially on a single string, my dynamics get all hosed and my tempo becomes really uneven :(. Starting off sounding really bad only means I'll quickly sound way better though >:)!!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I had just learned the CAGED chords and how to switch strumming patterns on time at like 180 bpm and then sprained my wrist and havent been playing because of school finals. But I am healed and it is time to pick up the axe yet again....

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I usually sit on my bed or a couch when playing but find that I star drifting ny guitar neck away from my body and it causes a bunch of problems playing. Should I sit differently or are there any like cues I should use to hold my guitar closer?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Does anyone have any experience with the Epiphone Trad Pro SGs? I was thinking of copping a used one for cheap but still don't know what makes a "good" guitar or if it has good hardware or w/e

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The SG Traditional Pro had already been sold, but the shop still had a B Stock G-400 Pro that I had mentally noted as a second choice. I really like it!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I have a MIM Player strat and when I put the tremolo arm in I get a lot of buzz on the bridge. Is it something I can fix at home knowing nothing about taking care of guitar? There's 0 buzz when I just take the trem arm out

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Power chords and like, properly muting the other strings finally clicked for me today. Now I'm gonna have fun practicing switch from barre chords to non-barre chords. I love how whenever I think I've built up the calluses I need to there's actually more stuff I'll need different callus for lmao

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm gonna be able to get guitar lessons for free through my college as a non-music major. I haven't had music instruction since high school so I'm super excited to get instant feedback on stuff!!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
SGs are loving cool, and the best. Simple as

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Interesting claim but still anecdotal.

I suspect baffled maps to pleasantly surprised.

I'm 25 and all my friends love The Cure and Elliott Smith. If you're into rock music at all in my age group you probably know the most famous song by The Cure

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I was also thinking of selling my MIM Strat because I like my SG so much more and switching between scale lengths saps all of my already meagre skill

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Had my first guitar lesson today and felt like 3 months of skill leave my body as I played in front of a stranger evaluating me for the first time. Excited to learn!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I love my MIM Strat again, all it took was me looking at like 3 hours of videos of how to set up a guitar and fiddling with every single part of it I could, but playing it is finally fun again. Can't believe I thought of selling
Ji-chan...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm supposed to be saving up money for post-grad, but I keep staring at the Ibanez FRH and the revstars and feel my willpower draining every day

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Southern Cassowary posted:

Do they fill a practical hole in your collection or make better sounds for something you regularly play, or are you just dealing with guitar acquisition syndrome?

I've had a bunch of instances where I just caved to the latter and they just live on a rack now or got flipped on Reverb. I grab my ESP M-II or Telecaster the vast majority of the time I play guitar, especially with the transposing knob on Archetype Petrucci making it easy to play metal songs in different tunings. I like having an acoustic, a seven, and a bass around, but I've got like other superstrats/a strat/etc I barely touch and I think I could get rid of all of those and get a nice SG or LP for classic rock stuff and be set.

I dont have an acoustic, I dont need a revstar but if I didnt get one it'd be cool to have some semi-hollowbodies. But I already have an SG and Strat so I should at least wait til after I move to become a guitar hoarder... Maybe I should start diving guitar center like that one guy in the thread, which is such a genius idea I dont know why other people dont do it

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Second guitar lesson today and getting feedback on technique and ergonomics and economy of motion stuff that I didnt have feedback on from internet learning is so lit. I already feel so much more comfortable and in control of dynamics and stuff

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Helianthus Annuus posted:

nice, this is how you get your money's worth on lessons!

Heh, I was able to take them as a class so I'm not even paying for them my college is. Although they do get graded...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think LG has the exact model of stratocaster I do and also hates its technical foibles that I, as no great intellect, can fully understand so theyre cool imo

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

landgrabber posted:

2021 player strat? i got the one from chicago music exchange that's pacific peach. and, i have to imagine, a really bad one of the lot.

Oh mine's a 2022 player in capri orange, I guess my color recognition skills are bad lmao

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Southern Cassowary posted:

walnut is absolutely the best sg color

SGs should be red.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I said this in the dumb music thread, but Gibson should simply make a headless SG (lmao fat chance)

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
One of my saddle screws on my D string is also spinning fruitlessly, but there's no rattle and the action is fine so I simply pretend that it is not doing that ☺️

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I saw one of those $200 squier hello kitty strata reduced to $600 from a store in Japan and seriously considered just no longer saving money for post-grad

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Offsets are ftw in both aesthetics and who uses them, and I wouldve gotten a Jazzmaster as my first guitar if there wasnt a good deal on a used Strat from a local shop. I just wanna be Hisako Tabuchi

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
One of my fav things about getting guitar lessons is getting live feedback on my ergonomics and technique. I can play much more comfortably now and have better tone cause I'm not tense af holding the guitar anymore

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Headless SG that also has little horns on whatever you call the space past the nut on a headless guitar. Hire me, Gibson

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Seen that but the headstock being in the body repulses me

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I want an Epi Coronet just cause I've never seen anyone use one. They look so cool too....

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My guitar professor told me a big speech about learning the fretboard by relational pathways, so you recognize the notes from multiple places (i.e.: you know their place in a scale AND what note they are in a chord AND the fret number) and I looked at him like he was guitar Moses or something because it made conceptualizing that stuff so much easier

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
When you're torn between saving money to move out after college or spending thousands of dollars on a vintage Coronet...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I was gonna make a joke about the "HH" fretboard but thought that'd be too glib...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I keep seeing how Kaia Wilson from Team Dresch, who is now in the Butchies, is pretty TERF-y.

Noo!!!!!!!