Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

gently caress this loving instrument god loving damnit

We already need a new thread title, and this is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Snowy posted:

Hello new thread, I look forward to lurking and occasionally talking about which guitars look cool and how much fun it is to play nothing but power chords with too much distortion

That's a dumb thing to post about because you can't play power chords with "too much" distortion.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is really pretty. Andy Timmons on TPS playing through a couple Mesa Lone Stars and demoing his pedals. I've set the video to start when Andy begins playing a piece, and it's fun because the TPS guys get emotional. The video is really sweet because there is clearly a sincere musical connection and friendship going on here. What you won't be able to tell from the video right away is they're running the amps into that 2x12 cab loaded with EVs, and it's cranked pretty loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdG-WjTtgk&t=795s
John Cordy saw this clip and decided to learn the little piece and to make a video to teach how to play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ChtqEiGCw

It's not difficult at all, and it's not particularly bad rear end. It's just very sweet and simple and I thought it deserved to be shared.

Andy Timmons is so outstanding I can't fathom just how good he actually is. If that makes any sense at all.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

i was doing a string change yesterday and there’s no divot on the 3rd fret B string, but there are high up on the G string.

i’m physically good at this instrument and it’s fun to play but god drat— what is with my lovely luck when it comes to setups??? it impedes actually playing/writing so much.

ugh

Learning how to do simple fret stuff is a skill that will likely serve you well. Sandpaper, leveling "thing" (block, beam, whatever), and a crowning file (you can get idiot proof ones like StewMacs z-file to dirt cheap triangle files) and you can fix that stuff yourself in a few minutes.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

it started with a buzzy B string on only the third fret, which truss rod adjustments wouldn’t fix (and i never did more than a quarter turn at a time).

i just loving can’t deal with when i’m playing and i’m dialed in, and i’m writing something! and it’s wonderful and i like it, and my brain has shut up and it’s just giving me the note i need to play next-

and then i hit the worst sounding note i’ve ever heard in my life because it’s sitar-ing.

i was writing a cool song where it was in G and i was playing the open C shape with the high root on the third fret. a cool D shape but with a 2 and a 4 (cause i’d leave the top strings open and play them as part of the arpeggio).

then one day i went to do that and i just hit that note and it makes me dramatically sad.

That sucks. Something to keep in mind for the next guitar / if you ever re-fret: stainless steel frets seem like something that would benefit you. They are hard as all get out and so you won't divot / flat spot them.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

Why didn't you buy a Boss Katana?

How do you think they turned up the gain?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I sell my patented Tone Spit in convenient spray bottles. I happen to consume the optimal mix of black coffee and lemon lime seltzer each day to produce a mix that both cleans, conditions, and enhances your fretboards tonal characteristics.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

telecaster nut worn to poo poo. still playable but needs to be replaced.

how easy/expensive is that to have done?

As has been stated, the slot in replacement is cheap. As for how easy: Can you put two drops of superglue roughly where you want?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Agreed posted:

I wouldn't use superglue for that, might damage the wood next time it needs to be removed and nuts don't last forever.

that's why you only use two little drops.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Agreed posted:

Better to use something else water soluble and still also use very little. Superglue isn't a good choice there.

Guess that Dan Erlewine must not know what he's doing then.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Agreed posted:

After watching that video it seems pretty clear to me that Dan is a smart fella, and I'm taking a break from rebuilding my pedal board to get rid of noise and had a minute. Turns out Google Books has his 1994 guitar repair guide "Guitar Player Repair Guide." Here's what he wrote there, page 224:

Lumpy, does that clear the air? Are we cool on the topic of nut glues now? Use what you prefer, in the end, if you've had good luck with superglue that's cool man but I'm gonna keep not using it personally.

Yeah, use whatever you want. Note that he doesn't mention damaging the wood as the reason not to use it though, but the longer working time is definitely a point in favor of using Elmer's / titebond, etc. But from now on I solemnly swear to never recommend two tiny drops of superglue to anyone else.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Agreed posted:

That's all I could ever ask, thank you Lumpy, thank you

:black101::respek::black101:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

how do you put a RAT on a pedalboard? it has these screws on the bottom that are pretty long, and they kinda keep the velcro on the pedal from making contact

You just use two little drops of superglue.

/runs away

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

duodenum posted:

Alternate tunings are just neat excuses to have another guitar set up for that tuning specifically just in case someone walks in and demands you play Mayonnaise and you don't have time to gently caress with the Floyd Rose.

You will also need another acoustic tuned for The Rain Song and an electric in Open C for Devin Townsend stuff.

Fun / Stupid fact: back in the late 80s before there was the web and I was teaching myself guitar, I learned The Rain Song by ear (or as close as I could) in standard tuning because it had never occurred to me that one could tune a guitar to something else.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

imagine not having a set neck guitar for the sustain

Imagine not having a bolt-on for tone bolts.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I can’t get Pat’s emo song out of my head. What has he done?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

muike posted:

not sure who's into em here but i have two extra spirit box transcription books from sheet happens if anyone wants em

I would love one.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Red_Fred posted:

This is a good post! :tipshat:

I really wanna get a Helix and I’ve saved the money. However I don’t really wanna play full price. Any tips or tactics for getting a discount on gear from your local shop? They had it for like 20% off a couple of months ago so I know they discount it some times.

Walk in, say “when are you going to discount that again, because I’ll come in and buy one”. It may turn our that it just so happens they were going to discount it again tomorrow, but they’ll give it to you today. Then again they may be moving them like hot cakes and you’ll have to wait a while.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kazinsal posted:

That lovely bastard put out a full version of Mad This Summer.

https://augustisfalling.bandcamp.com/track/mad-this-summer

Everyone buys this for as much as you can spare. Let’s get Pat that hot tub money.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I. M. Gei posted:

How does one go about convincing themselves that it's okay to play guitar?

I have this weird deep-seeded sense of shame any time I look at or pick up a guitar, like God or some unseen entity is judging me and I shouldn't be doing it. I don't know if it's imposter syndrome or what but it does gently caress with me pretty bad. Like I went to Guitar Center today and it took a pretty good bit of reassuring myself it was okay for me to be in there to even go into the store at all, much less look at anything or ask questions.

I know I'm hosed up and all, but is this a thing other people experience?

Read the book “Art and Fear”. It’s so common there are books about it!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

duodenum posted:

It's cocaine from the floor of Yngwie's stage in the 80's. You're supposed to lick it off and then shred.

GUITAR MEGATHREAD: It's cocaine from the floor of Yngwie's stage in the 80's.

or

GUITAR MEGATHREAD: You're supposed to lick it off and then shred.

please, we need a new title.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

User Error posted:

Whats your favorite riff mine is "Dun dun dunnn, dun dun dun dunn"

I like that one too.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Who wants to join my new band Lumpy's Pick Lickin' Talc Snorters?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

User Error posted:

It fit right in with an adapter plate. Not in UK.

I need a beefy dual humbucker guitar. I kinda miss my Agile 3000 but it had the slim neck which I didnt really like. Time to check marketplace every day for something I dont actually intend to buy any time soon.

Get a Joe Duplantier! https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JoeDSD2HHSW--charvel-joe-duplantier-san-dimas-style-2-hh-satin-white

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Clarence posted:

Can anyone advise on tuning a Floyd Rose? (II I think, if it makes a difference. It's on a 94 Ibanez)

My usual way is to loosen the locking nut and tune until close (but see below), lock the nut again and use the micro adjusters on the trem itself to make things exact.

Except it's a nightmare as adjusting each string changes the tuning of the others ever so slightly. I can eventually get it in tune with itself but that inevitably won't match standard tuning so playing to a backing track sounds off.

It's such a pain that I'm starting to think I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJIXFFFxf_g

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Came to post this and glad to have been beaten.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Disco Pope posted:

I passed in the end. (Very brief, but relevant E/N) I quit drinking recently, and any money that would have been spent in a bar or on a bottle of wine is going into a guitar fund, so the promise of a G&L, Reverend or maybe even an SG is keeping me from craving a cheeky pint and it feels a bit early to break into that fund for an impulse buy.

Quitting drinking is like getting a second (or in my case second, third, and fourth) job. Suddenly you have money! Congrats, and as someone who is now 15 years sober, it's the best thing I ever did. PMs are open if you (or anyone else) ever need help / advise on that journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Get a 335 and enjoy shorter scale length and less string tension.