Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I just ditched FL Studio in favor of Cakewalk and it's been a delight. FL Studio is great if your stuff is predominantly electronic and your biggest concerns are stretching, chopping, and resampling and poo poo, but goddamn if it isn't the most convoluted DAW ever. I'm loving the simplicity of Cakewalk and haven't felt a need to upgrade to Reaper or ProTools or Ableton or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Ooh, timely! I just bought my first Strandberg and I’m hopelessly in love with the wonky-looking neck. I have a connective tissue disorder so I’m hypermobile as gently caress and having a tactile ergonomic guide has been an absolute godsend. I’m able to play longer and with less fatigue than any other neck I’ve tried, and I’ve run the gamut from big chonky baseball bats to skinny Wizard necks in the almost 30 years I’ve been playing guitar.

Obviously I’m biased by being a weird edge case, but I’m super into the wacky ergonomic neck poo poo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Gilbert's pretty much only ever made terrible music

What is it like to be so incredibly wrong about something?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Why don’t you enlighten us? :grin:

For traditional Gilbert-style hard rock/metal my favorites are "The Gargoyle" and "Fuzz Universe." "Viking Kong" by Racer X is a good one too.

For acoustic singer-songwriter stuff I like "Three Times Rana" or "Black Raincloud" from his acoustic album.

For goofy pop-rock I like "Attitude Boy Will Overcome" or "My Religion."

His cover of the Spice Girl's "2 Become 1" is super fun, as are most of his classical arrangements.

Dude has a tremendous amount of stylistic range but always seems to be having an absolute blast. He exudes joy and love of music in every song. I like him a lot even if I don't listen to him a ton.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Love my ATH-M50X's, they're insane for the price.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

EZDrummer fucks exceptionally hard. The premade grooves/songs are awesome and easy to tweak, there are tons of kits/sounds available through EZX expansions, hundreds of groove libraries played by amazing drummers, and it works seamlessly with every DAW I've ever tried. 10/10 would recommend.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

New ML Sound Lab amp sim is the Laney Klipp (Iommi) and the Hiwatt DR103 (Gilmour) and it’s called Pink Sabbath (bonus points for a super gay-rear end name :gay:) and it has the gayest icon on my dock I love it. I don’t need it but it’s cheap and those two amps and bands are foundational stuff to me and… god drat it ML Sound Lab you got me.

Oh and it sounds perfect. Nails the sounds.

ML Soundlab also owns, I use their 5150 sim for most of my metal stuff. I can't believe how far modeling has come since the first-gen Line6 Pod I used to rock back in high school.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

i am sleep deprived and staring at strandbergs

anyone have one? if so, what do you think?

I bought a Boden Metal a couple months back and I adore it. YMMV on the neck but I find that the shape naturally encourages good positioning/ergonomics, and it's fast as all hell. Pickups sound fantastic, especially with high gain stuff, but I can get plenty of good clean tones as well. The multiscale thing took very little getting used to, maybe a day or two at most. The body design is great and I use the classical cutaway all the time. It is far and away the most playable instrument I've ever owned. I also think it looks dope af. 10/10 would recommend.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Well that's loving adorable. :3:

Edit: I should add that I also had some tuning stability issues out of the box, but since restringing with a heavier gauge for my preferred tuning (C Standard) and doing a bit of intonation tweaking (super easy with the tool they provide) it's been WAY more solid.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 10, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 10, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

That doesn't sound like a skill/equipment issue to me. Do you have any other issues with hand pain/fatigue? What you're describing sounds a lot like me during a connective tissue flareup. Does this happen when you're doing other manual tasks, or is it just barre chords?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

I finally started guitar lessons after the pandemic derailed my January 2020 resolution to pick up the old guitar my sister and I never used in high school and learn. My first lesson ended with my instructor recommending that I find a left-handed guitar, which I have now done.

...man, it's really hard to play this thing when you can't see what you're doing, isn't it. My fingers feel like giant sticks of ham, which I assume is something that you're supposed to cure with many many hours of practice. Would it help if I got some kind of mirror so I can actually see my fretting fingers?

My partner just starting learning and I recommended practicing in front of a mirror because they were so contorted in an effort to see things that it was loving up their playing mechanics.

I've been playing for like 30 years and I still practice in front of a mirror, it's 100% a pro strat.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm, any advice on what kind of mirror, assuming that none of the ones I already had attached to walls were in convenient guitar-practice locations?

I've always lived in cramped shitbox apartments with big wall mirrors to create the illusion of space, so that's what I've always used. No reason you couldn't use a vanity or even an HD webcam, though. As long as you can check your mechanics/ergonomics you're probably fine with whatever.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Laurenz posted:

Discipline is something I struggle with so yeah I feel like it would be a big help having someone set me assignments/“homework” to do rather than just trying to set them myself.

Lessons have been the thing that made guitar stick for my partner after several attempts at the instrument. The value of accountability and guidance cannot be overstated, imo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Arcsech posted:

Getting a degree in general is neither, but an MBA is the most un-punk degree you can get.

What are some YouTube channels that don’t suck? CSGuitars/Science of Loud is pretty good, JHS is highly variable but usually pretty good for like, history of music equipment if you’re into that. Eytschpi42 usually does a pretty good job of putting stuff through its paces if I want to hear how something sounds but I don’t put much weight on his opinions.

I really like this boy, he posts tasty metal riffs and offers brief, insightful tips.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

You can probably sort that out by adding a trem spring to the back cavity or even just tightening the screws a bit.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I know Carvin has a certain somewhat negative reputation but.

Do they? I've only played a handful but they were really solid for the price. Last one I tried was a fretless bass and it played great and had immaculate fit and finish. Why do people dislike them?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I am not a strat guy but this fucks EXCEPTIONALLY hard.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Jamming with other people always lights a fire under my rear end, and Kompoz has been an amazing motivator for me this year. It's an online collaboration platform where members post "want ads" for all sorts of musical endeavors they're working on. I've laid down bass tracks, guitar solos, and tons of other stuff that took me out of my comfort zone, it's been really great. Last week I was offered a paid commission to help this adorable old dude with his Dio-style ancient Greece-themed rock opera.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Hi, I've been taking lessons for a few months on a Martin HD-28 inherited from my late FIL. We've also got a smaller Alvarez acoustic of some sort I play around on, plus a couple electrics I haven't touched (a Gibson Les Paul that was his favorite electric, and something else that's living in the basement I need to check out). It's fun, so I wanted to say hi!

Welcome to the cool kids' table! We'd all love some pics if you get a chance.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Is the Katana a meme or something? I used one to demo a guitar yesterday and it seemed fine?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

So this is loving weird and I'd love a few more sets of eyes on it. I bought a 2017 MiK Strandberg Boden OS7 from a Japanese seller on ebay recently. It showed up today and from the looks of it the previous owner tried to compensate for his wild picking style by spraying some lovely clear coat on the lower half of the guitar:

You can see where it looks like they masked off the pickups here:

As you can imagine it did gently caress-all to protect the finish:

Ironically the pick damage doesn't bother me at all, but the weird finish is kinda driving me nuts. If I'm correct that the previous owner used a spray-on clearcoat, could I remove that layer without damaging the satin finish underneath?

The guitar sounds and plays amazing, and I'd really rather not return/refund it because I'm in love with the feel (also this particular model is pretty hard to find).

Thoughts?

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 1, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

just rub a satin urethane over it yourself very carefully

:hmmyes:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

fender trems are not great

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

All guitar knobs should be inset slider or rotary switches.
The external knob is an affront

Just play a lute you deranged lunatic.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’ve noticed it became a minor “thing” to proclaim your love of these. Like some Giles Cory “more weight!!!!” poo poo but macho and contrarian.

Yeah that's some F-150-Supercab-with truck-nuts-level machismo. I'll stick with my 5.5 pound nerd guitar, thanks.

I actually got rid of a fretless jazz bass a while back because it was just too goddamn heavy, and that poo poo was only like 9 pounds. 12 pounds is just obscene.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

I'm back with more riffs. The best of 2003 this time ... the year I graduated college. Feels bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpNLj7BDll0

Very timely, Mrs. Auxiliary and I just started getting back into the Darkness and we've been jamming on that riff a lot. Goddamn they were so fun.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

muike posted:

if i'm not playin' it, get it in the hands of someone who will

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

The Les Paul and it's not even close

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

havelock posted:

Nice.
I think I'm still good with Gojira and Wong, but I had fun demoing the Rabea synth stuff last time they had a sale.

How do you like the Wong? I'm looking for a good clean/crunch tone.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

the V is a bitch to play in bed it's true I guess I'll learn to play standing up or laying completely flat

I was thinking of an epi firebird or the V I got a good deal on the V but a firebird will soon have its place in the pile

Honestly for all the things I love about my strandbergs the classical position cutaway might be my favorite feature. I can comfortably play it anywhere, and have started doing so in my overstuffed recliner for maximum comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Malaria posted:

Bought this "demo" Schecter Nick Johnston HSS from Sweetwater.

It was marked down to 599 from 899 because it had a crack in the neck pocket. I literally don't see a crack on it, it still had plastic on the pickguard and pickups. As far as I can tell it's in totally mint condition. I feel like I just hit the jackpot.

I am not a huge strat guy, but this thing plays like one of the best strats I've ever played. Fretwork is perfect, zero fret sprout(the last strat I owned had terrible fret sprout). Pickups sound great, they don't hum on the single positions so they might be stacked single coils. Bridge pickup sounds like a Duncan JB to my ears. It's great.

It also fixes a lot of the things I don't like about strats: 24 frets, Better fretboard radius(14"), big frets, easy access truss rod. Also has a humbucker in the bridge which is great because I can't stand a strat single coil bridge pickup.

I think this guitar would be a good buy at 899. At 599 I feel like I stole it.

edit: I also had no idea who Nick Johnston was. I checked him out today, he is pretty good :D

Awesome find, also Nick Johnston has gorgeous tone and immaculate phrasing, dude is criminally underrated imo