Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

luchadornado posted:

I literally just watched a DBG video about him putting a bigsby and some filtertrons on a tele because he didn't care for the Gretsch look. It did sound really nice.

This has been the guitar I've been wanting to build for a while now but the bridges on cabronitas are always dumb strat style hard tails and it really turns me off.

I want to build a telecaster, double bound, with a bigsby, standard aged white or mint pick guard, and dual filter trons but I wish the bridge was an ashtray custom made to work with a bigsby. I thought about a thinline but I think that might be a little too much. Maple neck, maybe even roasted.

The color? Seafoam sparkle.

I think filtertrons work so well in a telecaster because teles and gretsches are great twangy guitars with high clarity/fidelity so it only makes sense that an ftron would sound good in a tele.

https://youtu.be/cdC0mbxSdYg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
335s are so good. It's funny because I feel like as I got older, I noticed more and more people using 335s on stage than Les pauls. They handle drive really well and in my opinion sound infinitely better than a LP when clean.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Shankel Magnus posted:

So I also like Fenders and I really enjoy playing my Meteora.

But I was watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sXS90f7pRI) on how to play a Kiss song and I noticed several of the comments complaining about how the instructor's Fender didn't sound right for the song. It did sound a little piercing to me, I'm not sure of what the official term for that is.

So if I got a Les Paul Style guitar to keep in Eb tuning for classic rock, what would be the way to go? Preferably total under $500.

Something like a Firefly with this https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/high-power/super-distortion in the bridge for that Ace Frehley sound?: Or has another budget brand taken that crown?

Or should I remind myself that my Fender is just fine and this is just GAS?

I would say it's because he's using a single coil strat and his tone sounds like it was dialed in for sultans of swing vs any kiss song. The intro to that song sounds like it's on an acoustic 12 string, but this guy plays it on a clean strat in the 1 or 2 position (bridge or bridge+middle). The tone is completely wrong for the song.

Kiss guitar tones are notoriously humbuckers driven. Ace always plays a les Paul and Paul has his Ibanez ice man. Both humbucker guitars. They also generally play through high gain amps and rarely play clean. If they have a clean tone, it's not coming from a pearly bright strat and a silver face.

Even a humbucker in the bridge of the strat would make a world of difference, but a few eq adjustments and a different amp would probably make the biggest difference.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
And here I thought my old schecter diamond series acoustic was an anomaly. I can definitely see one of the hair bands of the late 80s/early 90s playing them on a power ballad, or even the modern misfits.

"So I need an acoustic, but it can't look like some john denver bullshit"

Do you care how it sounds?

"Not at all"

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

Absolutely. I found the perfect example, too. This song was a huge hit, and it's from the 2nd Van Halen record with Sammy Hagar, so how does this sound even end up on the record? Listen to the acoustic guitar in the right channel. The strings have no shimmer, no sparkle, you can't hear the woodiness of the guitar. Sounds like a block of plastic strung with rubber bands. It sounds like every overpriced Ovation I ever had the displeasure of hearing from a stage.
Just mic up your acoustic for the album, please! This shortcut is so not worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqyZMjFqFf0

God I can't unhear it. It sounds so bad.

For me, the ultimate nails-on-the-chalkboard sound was always Ovation acoustics. I remember playing a few growing up and they had an instant tone that I never liked, nevermind the looks. They didn't seem to have a very full sound, they felt overly bright but also not very rich. The resonant tone always felt ... well plastic. Every bar band used one for gigs because you could plug them in but god did they turn me off. They always seemed to play pretty well from a neck and action standpoint, I just couldn't get past the tone and the fact they wanted to slide off your knee while playing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Lol I was on the hunt for awful acoustic guitar tones but now I've been sucked into a youtube hole of 80s/early 90s hair ballads. LOTS of ovations being played.

The recipe for music videos was definitely a thing for the sentimental songs. Open real soft and casual. Soft focusing, natural lighting of the band just casually hanging out in some loft or practice space. As the song progresses start showing slomo clips of their performances and fans, maybe in grainy black and white. Cut to a high production video set with all the fixins. Showing the stage crew and some candid tour bus moments and shenanigans.

Lol its like ... every single one.

The flame by cheap trick. I grew up really liking cheap trick and whatever the guitar tone is on it is awful and I hate it so much.

Goo goo dolls Iris - I never really liked the acoustic tone in it. The song/recording itself is fine, but I don't really like how the acoustic sounds. At one point the picking in the beginning of the first verse is really close to the bridge and just feels too harsh.

Verman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 26, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My classic vibe telecaster had a nicer set up than my Mexican player telecaster. If you were blindfolded you couldn't tell the difference. I think the classic vibes are so close to Mexican quality that the price difference is mostly going to get you the fender name and better resale and even that's not much different.

Most classic vibes are ... $400-450 ish new. You can really resell them for 250-350.

A Mexican fender runs $750-850 and often resell between 400-600.

If you're on a budget, get a classic vibe. If you have the money, buy a fender ... Or two classic vibes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Lol that was the first band that came to mind and I was just about to post when beaten.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I had a surprise NGD today. My dad came by and gave me a Gibson SG with P90s. It's pretty sick

Well drat.

Pics?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Stalizard posted:

You guys ever have a few too many drinks at the airport and say gently caress it and get the thing you've always wanted ever since you learned it existed back in middle school?

Because I did and I regret nothing

Fuuuuck. That's nice. I've always wanted that exact guitar. Nice job. Even if you don't like acdc, you need to play something off back in black to break it in. I think those are the rules.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

muike posted:

les paul havers of the thread, what era is your LP from or based on and what are the frets like?

2013 les paul 50s tribute (studio) and I think it has medium jumbo frets but I dont think Ive ever felt like they were jumbo frets.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Buschmaki posted:

This thread inspired me so I bought a Boss Katana Mk. II and a used Fender Player Strat and am gonna learn guitar

Welcome to playing guitar!

So what guitar are you going to buy next?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

I might be off base, but I think in a lot of ways, LG would really dig The Beths.

They do crunchy power-pop, but all come from jazz school muso backgrounds, so they're rife with neat harmony and song structure stuff and have a cool girl singer who plays a G&L Fallout reissue (and a lead guitarist who plays a gold top Les Paul w/o being your dad's best friend). I'm thinking of asking my teacher to help me work on one of their songs next.

https://youtu.be/CkzI93Aqztk

This is rad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Malaria posted:

Doooo it. They rule.
Get a Goldtop.

This. I like les Paul's but I love gold top Les Paul's.

My coworker bought a 75 gold top with mini humbuckers in it. It was really cool. I kind of want a p90 gold top but $$$.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That song has a great riff but I hate Chad Kroger's singing. The lyrics are meh at best and his voice is inescapably awful to my ears.

It also feels incredibly borrowed from Jason era Metallica. It feels like a hybrid of enter sandman, fuel, and wherever I may roam.

I think it's easy to crap on Nickelback because they made very mediocre soulless radio rock for the masses and had too much ego. When I think of the people who enjoyed them, I think of lifted pickup trucks, toxic masculinity, bedazzled rear end pocket fashion jeans paired with affliction shirts, guys that call you "brother", and it almost always came with an odd sense of patriotism despite them being a Canadian band.

It's like a hard rock band that was rated PG-13 that your parents were okay with. Their songs appeared to be heavy but were almost always ruined by the singing/lyrics or over-polished production.

They're obviously an incredibly successful band for a reason, all talented musicians, and people like their music. I just don't understand those people.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I'm in the market for an acoustic guitar. Something more or less standard, no electronics guts really necessary. I'm an intermediate guitar player, playing for 20+ years and probably play/noodle daily. Already have a few electrics, Gretsch, Charvel, Reverend etc. Really just looking for something to noodle around with on Zeppelin, classic rock stuff. Doesn't have to be fancy but I would like something quality. I originally earmarked around $600-800 USD which may more may not be reasonable. Open to spending more if I can justify it. Any recommendations?

Play everything you can get your hands on in your budget and some just a little above. Pay zero attention to the brand/model until after you play it. I would also say to ignore the color but there are a lot of really ugly acoustics out there.

I've been pleasantly shocked by some brands that I had always written off like Yamaha and I've been disappointed by various martin and Taylor models. That said here are my brand generalizations: I still enjoy martins, a lot but you have to spend 1k or more to get that classic Martin sound, but their lesser expensive options are still good. Taylors are just too bright and thin for me but I see why people like them. They play really well, maybe better than most acoustics. Fenders can sound good but a bit dull and generic. They seem to vary wildly in consistency and tone. I'm partial to dreadnoughts, jumbos and parlor guitars. I'm not a fan of concert bodies. I love my breed love but it's a root series (classic dred) so it's a bit different than their standard concert body fare. I like Gibson acoustics but those are Gibson prices. Epiphone acoustics have gotten a lot better. Same with Ibanez. Gretsch and guild acoustics are fine as well but I've not liked most of what I've played of their offerings. I say to play everything is because acoustics are much more particular per guitar due to more variables in manufacturing and aging. Wood shrinks and warps. Some guitars sit in warehouses, storage rooms, cargo containers for long periods of time without a controlled climate and that can change the wood. I've heard two of the exact same models sound and feel wildly different.

Electronics are sort of semi standard now so while you might not want it, the guitar you like might have them already in some capacity. Happy hunting.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Love Jackson Browne. Always have. I'm a big warren zevon fan and they had a lot of overlap. Despite their lyrics being pretty different, their music is pretty similar. My step dad had several of their records growing up and I was always going through his crate playing everything. The excitable boy album was probably my favorite and still to this day.

Jackson Browne is like, the definition of how to write pop songs in the classic rock era. He has a great voice, always surrounded himself with great musicians. Good songs can be played with cowboy chords or you can deep dive and really get into the guitar parts. The vocal harmonies are great.

Waddy watchel was a link between the two. He played on a lot of zevon songs and I think he produced or sessioned on some Browne songs. He's great. A video interview he does on his gear is hilariously ... Honest. He has a few Les Paul's. He's not Uber gear tech savvy, and he just cranks his amps. His touch and feel for song parts is excellent.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

right on! he always had great guitarists playing with him. i love when people use the guitar for tasteful little fills at the end of phrases, working with the drummer - a classic rock staple that i really enjoy

He's one of those acts I want to see soon before he gets too old and stops touring. Nice thing is he usually plays the wineries and outdoor summer venues around here and there not too expensive.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The acoustic is timeless, the sg is the best color option and full pick guard :chefkiss: I'm not big on sunburst strats but I'm sure it sounds and plays well, and that's a pretty good lineup of guitars.

Nobody ever got mad at a blonde tele, it's classic. My idea for another color is something crazy like orange or green glitter.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I only try to buy guitars that I want to play or keep for some reason.

The only time I get rid of a guitar is if it doesn't sound or play as well as I would like. I currently own, 5? And I certainly don't play then all, all the time. Some sit longer than others but I like playing each one for certain things.

I think I've said this before, I buy guitars that fill a tonal hole in my lineup for certain styles of music. I try not to have too much overlap but I can see owning multiple telecasters for some reason. Sometimes it's a model I've always wanted and can finally afford, or it's a great deal, or I'm bored and need something to get me back into playing.

I bought a telecaster deluxe thin line and was not happy with it. It just sounded, blah. Looked and played great though. Those wide range humbuckers are just bland.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

odinninn posted:

Thanks for the amp recommendations everyone, it's given me a bit better perspective I think. But do you folks still think the Squire Classic Vibe Telecasters are good value or are there other models that have more bang per unit of buck?

Yeah, the classic vibe telecasters are still really good. The CV I bought had a better setup and fret work than my MIM player telecaster.

I'll say this. If you want a telecaster for the magical telecaster tone, don't get a humbucker based tele unless its a deluxe with the single coil in the bridge and humbucker in the neck. They just don't have that slappy twangy sound like telecasters should have. I loved the look and playability of my classic vibe thinline HH but it had zero tonal character. The wide range pickups were incredibly dull and lacked clarity I really wanted. I even changed the pots and it still sounded really uninspiring.

The only humbucker filled telecaster I would consider anymore would be two filter trons/TV jones because their clarity can match that of a tele bridge single coil.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

I want a hollow body guitar to play jazz on. My current lineup, to their credit, all sustain too much.

I've been thinking about :
-Artcore
-Starcaster
-LP (the chambered ones do this right?)
-335 or 339
-Thinline tele
- Jazz box of some kind? but idk where to get one for under 6-700

I love fender but I also love shorter scale lengths especially for chordy things. I have a tele thats great and part of me is like just figure out how to make that work instead of buying stuff

Any obvious yeses or nos here? I like the Ibanez (and the Starcaster when its on sale) for the price, am worried the 335 is gonna be uncomfortable, and other than that idk. Probably the answer is go play a bunch of them. Anyone tried the Fireflys? They decent?

I would also suggest looking at gretsch guitars.

Their streamliners 2622 (double cut centerblock), 2420 (single cut hollow) usually run under $600 US. The electromatics (5622 double cut centerblock) (5422 double cut hollow), 5420/5410 (single cut hollow).

The streamliners use their broadtron pickups (more of a standard humbucker than a filter trons) but they still sound really good. I think they have higher output and more bottom end than the black top filter trons but less individual string clarity.

The electromatics generally use black top filter trons (some use the broadtron hbucker) which sound amazing but lack high gain output. The neck pickup on a gretsch hollow body is heavenly for jazz.

They do jazz tones really well. The center blocks lose a little of that hollow body sound but it's still present. Bigsby or without based on preference but I love a bigsby. The thing I really like about them is being able to blend the pickups to taste and have a separate master volume. Plus they're short scale.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Any time I play an sg, the first thing I play is something from acdc. It has to be done and just feels right.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't know about you but I would only trust a hollow body guitar in a hard/rigid softshell case. They're more fragile than a telecaster or strat and way more expensive to repair if they break.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I picked up my guitar for the first time in a month, played along to sweet home Chicago for about an hour.

Then tried to play along with house is a rockin best I could but I've never really tried to attempt much Stevie other than playing rhythm.

I know I need to start revisiting any sort of theory but shutting the brain off and just playing major, minor pentatonic over blues shuffle riffs is fun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

McCoy Pauley posted:

I have a "Starcaster by Fender" guitar sitting around the house that we picked up cheap at some local place for one of my kids to mess around on before moving on to using my main guitars. Note that is not a "Fender Starcaster," the semi-hollow body, but very specifically a "Starcaster by Fender."

It actually feels pretty decent to play, and the tuners are good enough to keep the thing in tune, and the pickups are not terrible, but they're not particularly good either -- they're pretty noisy in anything outside of the 2 and 4 positions, and still somewhat noisy in those positions. I'm vaguely thinking about upgrading the pickups with a pre-wired pickguard, like this from Guitarfetish, just to have a slightly better strat-style guitar to play around with. Anyone have any thoughts on that particular wired pickguard, or any other options to consider around that price? Or any thoughts that at that price level it's just not worth messing around and better just to put the money towards a Squier instead?

Considering the starcaster isn't really a fender or even a squier for that matter, I would worry about fitment as its probably not made to the exact same specs. The pickguard might not align exactly the same as the one that came on it. The screw holes might also not be on the same drill pattern.

The pickups will probably sound okay, just different but I can't imagine they would sound worse than whats in those starcasters considering that pickguard will cost 1/3rd the price of the guitar with an amp that they usually sold for at costco.

Honestly its probably better to spend that $50 either towards a professional setup, setup tools to learn how to do it yourself, or put it towards a squier which will be a much nicer guitar right off the rack.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Stalizard posted:

it doesn't look like this was ever addressed but the big pick guard is always the correct answer. also they should only come in red and black, there are no other colors

I stand by this. I very much prefer the full pick guard and red or black. Pickup covers and trapezoid inlays also.

I've also seen a gold one that I really liked, sometimes white. Bigsby is also an option.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Either the whole bridge/body was mis drilled or the pocket was off. Maybe the neck is off?

Oh man, just saw the linked photos as well.

Did you buy that new from a shop?

Unless human error was an accurate historic detail of 1957 you paid way too much money to let things like that go unnoticed. I would bring that right back and show the shop, request a refund or a different guitar unless you want them to gently caress around trying to make it right, which they might not be able to. In my opinion, that looks like a full on manufacturing defect.

ethanol posted:

well I'm kinda mad but also I don't want to return it for little aesthetic issues it took me all night to find

The neck being misaligned is no small aesthetic issue. It's a $2k guitar. I wouldn't accept this kind of defect on a $400 squire let alone something of that value. Considering most $200-500 guitars come out of the box defect free, I wouldn't forgive this.

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 21, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ethanol posted:

I’m pretty mad now . The store has a ton of inventory labeled b stock, I don’t know why they sold this to me for full price, I feel like they took a shot selling it new and are gonna mark it b stock now that buyer #1 returned it. I just wish I had seen the neck issue before I walked out because the store is not very close to me.

Also a little bit of googling tells me the new avii line is plagued with qc issues exactly like this

Is this shop a local place near you? Are they a certified fender dealer? I would be pretty nervous about spending my money there again if that's not the the case. How they handle this issue would determine if I ever spend money at that place again. If they handle it well, maybe it was just a mistake. If they give you trouble, take your business elsewhere.

They should never sell b stock without clearly letting you know in advance and it should be discounted. Trying to get away with it for full price is sketchy. While I generally prefer to buy instruments in person to feel it before buying, I would almost rather buy from sweetwater where they look over their instruments than deal with that place again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Easiest solution is to look up the serial if they supply it. You can fake the decal but the serial will show the model, year, etc. If it's fake it won't pull up.

It's a pretty guitar but yes, it's worth being skeptical.

Also is it a top loaded bridge vs string through?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

frogbs posted:

Yeah, I don't think i'm gonna actually buy one. I've been bitten by Bikes Direct before , I was just curious about the guitar equivalent.

Related question, are Squier Jazzmaster's considered 'real' Jazzmasters? Those can be relatively affordable. I know people liked the J Mascis one, right?

The bikes direct comparison is perfect. Great products for the price and good to fulfill GAS but not the best quality control and you might get a dud.

Squire classic vibe jmasters are great but the j mascis is incredible for the price if you can find one that someone isn't asking too much for. I've seen a few people trying to ask crazy prices for them, pushing up towards fender prices.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Quizzlefish posted:

For the first time in ages I have the day off and no kids. I'm off to Andertons to browse and noodle the hours away.

I'm due to come into a couple of thousand pounds in the next few months and I'm keen on getting a few treats for myself. I'm an intermediate and play mainly on my acoustics but wanted to branch out a bit.

I want a strat (only electric at the moment is a crusty second hand epiphone Les Paul). I was thinking a fender player?

Then Im planning on getting a pedal board. Maybe one with a built in power unit. Any recommendations?

And finally a new amp too! You guys love the katanas right? What's the right size if I mainly play in my living room? I have the space for a big one if needed but very rarely am I going to play that loud so don't need anything crazy. Also I like a bit of metal from time to time but I'm into a more chill sound when I play.

Any tips on a couple of pedals? I have a looper and a multi effects pedal at the moment.

Sorry for long post! I'm just excited to do something for myself for once :)

What kind of music do you currently play and what kind of music do you want to play on an electric? Which guitarists/songs do you like the tone of?

A player strat or tele are never a bad idea. Both are incredibly flexible guitars.

It all depends on how much you want to spend but if you're looking at a katana and a pedal board, I would suggest possibly looking at a blues junior instead. It's going to sound like heaven clean with a strat and will make an incredible pedal platform. If you go with a katana, maybe play around with it for a while first before splurging on pedals. Pedals can be an expensive and slippery slope, full of trial and error to find what you like. Options used to be fairly limited just 20 years ago and now it's literally endless with so many manufactures from big companies like boss to small boutique shops that are basically a guy in his garage. Plus so many pedals now are copies of copies of copies with slight differences based on what that maker preferred and there's no real way of knowing if you like it without playing it through your gear. That said you can still find relatively great pedals for cheap.

With pedals, consider the effects you want. Some common ones are:
Drive/distortion/fuzz
Time/delay
Phase/flange/tremolo
Compression/volume/boost
Eq
Reverb/echo
Synth

If you go with a non-modeling amp,

A few classic overdrives are the boss blues driver, tube screamer, klon copy, nobels odr1, or splurge and go with my favorite the Browne protein dual overdrive.

My next suggestion would be a nice reverb. You could go with something like a TC hall of Fame reverb, or splurge on a Strymon big sky.

The options are endless but if you're at andertons, try the guitar you want through several amps to hear how it sounds, whether that's the katana or anything else, modeling or tube.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
He's a great guitar player and can very easily be respected for his versatility but hated for his persona. He's wildly successful and had managed to add a lot of jazz and blues to modern pop music, and a little rock here and there. My thing with John mayer is that while you can hear his influences in his playing, his playing has a very unique sound that you can often tell it's him.

He's sort of a douchebag genius whose had relationships with beautiful women and he sounds like one of those guys who was always the awkward lanky kid in highschool jazz band growing up but then became this wildly successful cool musician and is now the next coming of Clapton easy listening rock Jesus guitarist adored by men, women, and moms alike. He can be a bit pretentious but most geniusy level people are, especially in the entertainment industry.

Easy guy to dislike but difficult not to respect his talent. I like some of his stuff but rarely the radio hits. His singing gets a little too breathy for me but some of his songs are incredibly well written and fun to listen to as a guitarist. Some are plain trash.

Dave grohl on the other hand seems like the same guy he probably was before success. His sense of humor is great and he seems incredibly genuine regardless of his music. I think he's very honest when he describes a lot of the happy accidents that lead to his success vs being some sort of cultural messiah who had it coming all along.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
With a hardshell case I'd vote the j mascis if it's in good shape. You figure hs case is an added $100-200 value depending on the brand.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My buddy bought a 1970 Gibson es330td. He brought it over and we played it a bit through my sovtek mig 100. Holy smokes.

For a 70, it's in better shape than one of my guitars from the 90s. Slight finish aging as the nitro is just starting to age. It's beautiful. Wish I had taken a photo. Original hardshell case. Original hang tags and everything else that came with at the original purchase. One owner.

The neck is thin and fast. The action is as perfectly low as you can get without buzz. The frets look a little low and flat, guessing they were re-crowned but need replacing soon as they're starting to get flat spots and they're already really low.

The sound though. Those big single coils sound beautiful. The bridge is a bit too bright, but the neck is pure magic. It's nice and round but very clear.

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 17, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
One thing my teacher taught me back when I was learning and struggling with slow chord changes, just play the first beat of a 4 count at first. Then slowly work up to filling it in when you get quicker in your changes. It might feel like regression as it's very very basic but it focuses on your chord changes first, not so much strumming.

1(strum chord one once) let it ring through 2, 3, 4
2 (strum chord two once) let it ring through 234
3 (strum chord three once) let it ring 234
3 (strum chord four once) let it ring 234.

You should be tapping your foot to all four beats. Develop that sense of internal rhythm. Count out the 1234,2234,3234,4234 out loud.

The 234 beats give you ample time to transition to the next chord but still keep you motivated to get there before the next bar. Eventually you can pick up the pace and insert a strum on the 1 and 3. Then strum the chord all 4 beats.

This gets you started to an easy beat but you're first developing your chord changes before focusing too much on strumming patterns. Most guitarists can probably get a strumming pattern down before quick chord changes and you're always going to struggle maintaining a steady rhythm when you can't change quick enough. I found it easier to work at really slow easy rhythms and work on chord changes then work on increasing the speed.

When you get faster, then you can start playing around with different strumming patterns because your transitions will be faster.

Another tip, Mix up which chord transitions you do. Don't always go G C D. Swap them around a bit. Some chords go really well into the other. Some don't.

It's like a balance bike. It's easier to master something taking it one small part at a time vs drinking from the fire hose and trying to do it all at once. Isolate the fundamental parts and then putting it all together will come a little easier.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I'm narrowing down my search for a cheap reverb pedal. Found this page that looks decent. Anyone have opinions any of them? Friend of mine recommended the HOF mini. https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/best-budget-reverb-pedals

I have the hall of Fame and it's great. Lots of different types of reverb, very adjustable. I'd guess the mini is pretty great too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ColdPie posted:

IMO you should consider cutting your losses and just sell it. It sucks to lose the money, but it happens. I think that guitar is just always going to give you bad vibes even if you eventually got it set up well. You don't seem the type to enjoy tweaking, so go find one that clicks better from the start and trade in that one. Just imo.

I object to this.

Guitars are made out of natural materials. Wood changes with temp/humidity. Unless you live somewhere that it's consistently the same conditions every day, it's rare you'll ever find a guitar that doesn't need some adjustments over time. If you get frustrated with a guitar because it changed, you'll be frustrated with most guitars.

Yes, some guitars are worse than others. Some guitars just suck from a quality perspective, even with big brands. Bad piece of wood, poor quality control ... Things happen but it's not super common. I'd wager your neck moved and needs a truss rod adjustment, maybe a minor intonation tweak. If your neck bows up, your action will feel higher, and vise versa. Don't adjust your action. Adjust your neck until it's flat or slightly bowed up. Then adjust your action.

My necks with maple fretboards (strat and tele) always need more adjustments than my necks with rosewood/ebony/etc (gretsch, Les Paul). I keep them all in the same room, in their cases. My breedlove acoustic is shockingly stable.

The best thing is learn how to do the work on your guitar. Setups are pretty easy and straight forward compared to wiring. Truss rod, intonation, action. It doesn't require and restringing. Literally two different sized hex wrenches and maybe a Phillips screwdriver depending on your bridge.

Stewmac has incredibly thorough videos, almost to a fault. There are tons of tools on Amazon that are pretty inexpensive. Feeler gages, neck radius gage. Neck level with two sides for different scale lengths and a fret level although those can be tricky and unless you're planning on leveling a fret, maybe not for a beginner.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Radio shack ... Oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah I have one of the Ibanez arch tops and it’s really nice. Try to get one that comes with a case, because I cheaped out and got one of the cheaper 500 dollar ones and ended up paying 100 dollars for a case because of it.

I should mention I also considered one Gretsch at this price point and some Epiphones. Also don’t listen to anyone who tells you all jazz musicians only use the neck pickup and to always roll off your tone. If many of those musicians had a bridge pickup at the time they would have probably used it. Many did. I bring this up specifically because I noticed while relearning Jazz that there are many people on YouTube that will give you very direct and in my opinion wrong information. You can even play jazz on most Solidbodies if you want; it is nice to have an arch top for practice without an amp though. Also if you can swing it try flat wound strings to see if you like them, many jazz players used them and I feel like they give your low strings a nice standup bass sort of thunk at the cost of some brightness and sustain.

Edit: A final thing is that Ibanez makes a few small full hollow bodies at the cost of some acoustic volume, but if you are small player they are much more comfortable, some large arch tops and even the small one I have can be a little ergonomically garbage, so keep that in mind too.

Was coming in to suggest gretsch as well. They do jazz tones really well and have a great master volume knob. I'd look at the electromatic series.