Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

Nylon-string Acoustic
Typically associated with classical music, they can also work well for simpler strumming. Warm and mellow, they are the naturally quietest of the guitar family and will most-often be amplified through a separate microphone. Looks like this:

Starting out, brands to look for are Yamaha and Cordoba (particularly the C5). You’ll see them in either Spruce-top or Cedar-top: Spruce is a little snappier, Cedar is a little warmer. Do not put steel strings on your nylon-string guitar, you will destroy your instrument.

Thanks for the OP, OP!

In addition to classical music, the nylon string guitar is also associated with flamenco music (though the guitars built for flamenco music are different from those built for classical music). One of my favorite all time guitarists is the flamenco player Paco de Lucia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmps3Cc-5_0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is one of the most desired sounds in the modeler community to be sure, for obvious reasons. This is my hard-tail Strat-style with a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge. I mostly followed others' guides for amp selection and settings.
There's a bit of the intro to Mean Street where Eddie just snaps out an open G5 and it slays on the record. I mean, the intro to Mean Street is one of the most astounding bits of guitaring Eddie ever put to tape but who can actually play all of it? Sure as hell not this guy.
But I am amazed a modeler can do this at all. I'd love to hear the one you reference, because if there's one thing I believe it's John Cordy's assertion you can get great tones from all the modeler options out there. I just went for the expensive one because a) I wanted to be able to run two amp blocks at once, and b) I was turning 50 so I justified it as my mid-life crisis sports car expense, along with a new Tele and stuff.
Here's something I threw down just to enjoy it. I can't see myself trying to attempt the whole song without the full intro so maybe someday?
https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/mean-street-test

Now, same preset but an Ibanez RG1070 with a ToneZone in the bridge, which is a much hotter pickup with a very different treble character than the PG.
https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/little-dreamer-cover

My bassist asked me to record him a clip of this Freidman HBE/ENGL Savage rig I am working on, and I'm gonna try the Evolutions in the JEM7VWH with that. I'd like to make a clip of the 5150 BL and Soldano SLO100 I've been playing with, too. I told him I would do it today but :effort:.

that sounds good! nice playing, doc

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Here is the firefly guitar I recently got.

I want to replace it's pickups, but i don't know which pickups to pick! I've never replaced pickups before, so I'm pretty ignorant. I like my telecaster for its brightness, and i liked the P90s in my old Les Paul, so single coils seem like a good decision. Regarding humbuckers: I have never owned boutique humbuckers, but the cheap ones i have owned all sounded muddy to me. So maybe there are bright sounding humbuckers that I should consider instead?

I don't wanna dig thru the guitar's electronics more than once, so i'm asking for help picking out something I will like. But probably more importantly: I need help making sure i don't buy something that's not going to fit!

EDIT: I recently learned that some people prefer guitars with only one pickup, because the instrument sounds better with fewer magnets near the strings. I guess the strong magnetic field prevents the steel strings from moving the way they want to, and that this can deaden the sound somewhat. Does anyone ever decide to remove both pickups and only install one new pickup?

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 11, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

boss katana should get you the sound you’re looking for

Let's talk about modeling amplifiers, then! There's something about modeling amps vs tube amps that I want to understand. It comes up in this video, at 595s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH-4eT9qrDY&t=595s

The video says firefly's stock pickups sound worse thru a tube amp, but you might not notice on a modeling amp. Can someone help me understand why this might be? Is it as simple as: the magnetic field is too strong? In other words, the pickups are too "hot"?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

DiMarzio PAF of some variety/maybe Humbucker from Hell in the neck position

cool, appreciate the recs. The website for those says they are all using Alnico 5 magnets. Alnico 2 is the other popular choice.

a.p. dent posted:

i installed one of these in the neck of my hollow body: https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan-Model-Humbucker-Pickup/dp/B0002D05RS. it had a better bright sound than the stock pickup at the bridge. not sure what sound you're looking for, but these brightened up some dull stock humbuckers. caveat: these are the only non-stock pickups i've tried

thanks mr dent! I looked it up, and the website for your pickup has this to say: "Magnet: Alnico 5". Interesting! I guess that's the alloy for me.

Dr. Faustus posted:

General rule of passive humbuckers is more gain = more resistance = more treble signal lost. (Hotter = darker, mostly)

I've gone down a rabbit hole, and I've learned a bunch about pickups! What you are saying jives with what I've learned:

With higher electrical inductance (H), we lose high frequencies, which gives a darker sound. This is a (mostly?) invariant property of the magnetic material. Alnico 5 will be brighter than Alnico 2 because it has a lower inductance, for example.

With higher magnetic field strength (Gs), we keep high frequencies, which gives a brighter sound. This is a variable property -- magnets can be degaussed or remagnitized until they have the desired field strength.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Lower-gain buckers also impede your strings less, so you'll get a tiny bit more natural sustain out of them.

Right, and that makes sense. The pickup's gain can be increased by 1) increasing the number of windings and 2) increasing the magnetic field strength. But only increasing the field strength will impact the sustain -- the number of windings shouldn't affect sustain, right?

Some youtube sources if anyone else is interested:

Little talk about the different Alnico alloys, denoted by the number. https://youtu.be/_pb66WsbdQ8?t=185
Little discussion of how a stronger magnetic field strength will reduce sustain. https://youtu.be/_p5ejoOS4-Q?t=742
Check out how the sound changes when you swap in a new magnetic strip with a different composition: https://youtu.be/TyKS8WGcJ34?t=176

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

He's basically saying a tube amp will be way more sensitive than "a modeler" but I just can't agree with that.

He seems like he's saying that the stock pickups are lossy for high freqs, and the strong magnets impact the sustain, which would make sense. So it's at least plausible to me, that the Tube Amp won't break up as nicely if it can't hear your high freqs / harmonics as well. I imagine the modeling amp only really needs to hear the fundamental, but I don't really know.

Gramps posted:

That's why I like the Peavey vypyr amps better than most other modelers- it's a digitally controlled analog circuit.

looks cool -- seems similar to the NuTube amp we talked about in the previous thread.

Agreed posted:

On the "can't tell into a modeler, can tell into a tube amp" thing in my opinion some of that is classic cork-sniffing, buuuut I did play a Boss GT-1 today that really did homogenize the sound a lot and made a cheap Jackson with whatever pickups they use in the factory making those sound about the same as an expensive ESP with good pickups. That's low-power COSM modeling, running on 4 AA batteries, relying on compression and pretty heavy effects and using, well, frankly mostly lower quality amp sims though. More sophisticated modelers with appropriate input circuitry absolutely do show the differences in the ways guitars sound just fine. I feel mildly obligated to bring up that youtuber who has gone to extensive lengths to examine what makes music gear sound how they do here but nonetheless, different guitars' electronics absolutely are well represented and play a huge role in the sound you'll get from good modeling just as if you were using a real amp.

Right, it makes sense that not every modeling amp would homogenize the sound coming from the guitar, but i suppose he was talking about the types of modeling amps that do have this behavior.

And if I understand you right, it seems like the guitar with the poor stock pickups would sound worse thru the modern and sophisticated amp model, but would sound just fine thru a lower quality amp sim. And the more expensive guitar would sound good thru both. Kind of ironic!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

I could be wrong, I'm not an expert on pickups, but I believe the number of windings impacts the field strength.

On a solenoid, a greater number of turns will increase the strength of the magnetic field induced by a current. But on guitar pickups, it's different because instead of using electricity to conjure up a magnetic field, we're taking an existing magnetic field, and vibrating strings thru it to induce a voltage in a coil (which is in the same magnetic field).

My understanding is that more turns on the coil's wire will increase the pickup's output amplitude. A stronger magnetic field will also increase the output amplitude. But I don't think the number of turns can increase the magnetic field strength, because the magnetic field is coming from the magnet, not from the copper.

EDIT: now i'm unsure. if a larger voltage is produced by a greater number of turns, that additional energy must come from the strings, right? doesn't that mean they will have less sustain?
:thunk:

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 12, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

i always recommend Alexander Technique

if anybody's interested, i may flesh this out into a separate thread (we need more drat threads in ML)

a.p. dent posted:

something seems to be clicking in my technical work. i've never been able to play fast. i carry a lot of tension in my hands and shoulders and i simply can't do it. alexander technique, i think, is finally helping me break through - with the aaron shearer scale pattern studies, i'm starting to be able to play fast in upper positions while not losing my place in the music. and i am able to sense what note i'm playing at all times. wild!!

ok ok -- I'll bite!

I would like to read your effort post about the Alexander Technique and its application to the Guitar

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I've learned some more about pickups from this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiNyZ463tfA

I learned that a pickup's coil can act as a capacitor, and higher capacitance will attenuate the mid and high frequencies! The geometry of the winding directly impacts the capacitance of the coil, and by achieving a lower capacitance, we get to keep more of our high frequencies!

The highest possible capacitance (and therefore: muddiest tone) is produced by a totally even winding pattern, where each turn is packed as close as possible to the previous turn. But scattering left and right creates more distance between turns, which means less capacitance in the coil. And that means a brighter tone!

I also learned pickups that produce microphonic feedback may have inadequate tension on the coil wire, causing sympathetic vibrations in the presence of loud sounds!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

0 rows returned posted:

does firefly make clones of any guitars with 24 frets instead of the standard 22 or 21?

yes the FFPR that I got recently has 24 frets.

landgrabber posted:

i didn't do anything insane with it, but living in a humid area, with extreme temperature changes. it's not so bad in my house, but i would do things like, put it in a gig bag, put it in my car for an hour or two, where it'd get really hot, then take it out in a cold room -- because i was taking it to school to use for jazz band practice. could that have caused frets to move around? all the heat? or is it just a remnant of lovely factory work

Perhaps! The rule of thumb I use is: if the temperature is uncomfortable for a human like me, its bad to expose the guitar to it, so two hours baking in a hot car is probably harmful, especially if you made a habit of it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

I'm also very much at this stage, but aside from the very good advice about following the chords, the thing that has made my noodling sound more like real music is repetition. Just playing the same thing twice or more, either just right after each other or with some other stuff between. You can even do variations on your little motif. It makes it sound a lot more planned and cool and less like you're just playing more or less random notes in a scale (which we are).

I even had some luck combining it with chord changes, take your motif and play the same scale degrees in the relative scale. For example, in A minor, I'll play something like "A C E F" over am, but when it goes to dm, I'll play "D F A B", which is kind of the same, but because of the mode change, the minor six becomes a major six.

i agree with this post about repetition, and i agree and with other posts emphasizing "singability."

if you know you are going to have to repeat yourself, it might influence you to choose more "singable" melodies to make it easier to keep them in your head!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

this is Tomo, one of my very favorite guitar teachers on you tube! i learned a lot about string bending technique from his videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30N0WWHRPsQ

EDIT: i also like to go to Tomo for arrangements of some of my favorite songs, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f1lbYRKrVM

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 21, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

I've been working on learning Yenne Lee's arrangement of "The Water is Wide" since January. (Transcript and video of Lee playing the song are at that link.) It's my first full-length song. I finally got a decent recording of myself playing it, just one hiccup at the very end, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with this performance. It's really hard to play four minutes without mistakes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP43TeVuFOc

good song, and well played. i enjoyed it!

and regarding "It's really hard to play four minutes without mistakes": yep, i feel that!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

no, i don't have a classical guitar. i like it as a texture a lot actually, i'd like to own one, but it just hasn't come up.

i also haven't run across classical guitar in any of my studies of orchestrated music. i'm sure i'd like it, just not really sure where to start.

i know someone in here mentioned a classical piece that involved playing more than once voice at the same time, which is really really interesting to me, as a voice leading loving dork

i would love to see you get into playing classical or even steel string acoustic.

between those two, the classical has a lot less tension on the neck, and it's neck is generally much thicker, so they tend to last longer.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

hahaha - get a nylon string one shaped like that next!

ah, the real deal -- not a fake like mine!

gonna use the trem on this guitar? i wonder if it stays in tune.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i've gotten two of my guitar friends IRL to buy and play classical guitars, and they both really took to it!

classical guitars sometimes don't have enough loudness when jamming with steel string acoustics, though. using a pick helps a little

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
one time, we were at a restaurant and there was live music, it was a solo guitar player with his own PA system. He was playing a strat and singing -- sounding really good. Then he went to switch to his acoustic, and the electronics failed, and he had to go back to the electric guitar. I was thinking "thank god" haha

After the show, I asked if he could play all of his songs on electric, but he said some are acoustic only. But why shouldn't we play our acoustic stuff on electric, if they are the same scale length? Can't we dial in the amp, change the pickup height, and rub EQ on and around it?

I just play my electric guitar with a different technique, because I don't know how to do all that stuff -- the E and A strings always booming over everything no matter what (using a capo helps a little).

EDIT: i bet this is easy with a hexaphonic pickup or some other way to attenuate each string individually

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 26, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

To me there are no rules about how to do your thing musically, you can play whatever you want on whatever you've got and that's fine. I can see why some might feel this or that song sounds better on an electric or an acoustic, though, they certainly have different sounds. Why play it on a guitar instead of a cello? Why one of those instead of a piano? (etc.) 'Cause that's how you like it, how it is in your head, how you wanna do it (or just what you own and are competent to play!).

Interesting point about wanting to hear the sound of the instrument internally in order to play it!

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you want an electric to sound like a piezo you should install a piezo in the neck pocket. EQ ain't gonna cut it because the way an electromagnetic field interacts with steel is completely different to how a piezoelectric pickup works. Their response to transients will be radically different, and the way they handle increasing amplitude across the spectrum will be different and you can't really fake that easily.

It's nice to hear that what i set out to do (fake an acoustic tone with my electric) is way too hard, and I don't have to feel bad about failing at it.

To echo what the other posters have said, I prefer the electric guitar's sound so much better (and its so versatile) compared to the sound of a piezoelectric acoustic guitar pickup. Microphone'd acoustic guitars or unamplified acoustic guitars sound great to me too, but then there's feedback / inadequate loudness in a live situation. Active magnetic pickups on an acoustic guitar can work too, I suppose.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Anyway you should just play through a fender amp with the slightest tickle of dirt instead, it's a different sound but a pleasant one that works in the same places an unaccompanied acoustic would.

landgrabber posted:

i think a neutral neck humbucker through an amp with a lot of headroom and maybe turned down mids (not metal zone scooped but just, make room for the vocal) will be a better sound because it fulfills a lot of the same functions, but isn't trying to be exactly the same as an acoustic.

Good points on finding an electric guitar sound that can serve the same role as a solo acoustic guitar (instead of trying to get the very same sound out of a very different sounding instrument).

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

On the topic of metal bands doing acoustic stuff I always really liked this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wswKhCaD5I

I got into IN Flames's acoustic stuff before i even heard their other sound! I think its very cool how they make the same song work both ways

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

nice performance. the song isn't my thing, but you're my favorite guitarist / singer in this thread, mr dent!

this one has nice dynamics, but you have the rhythm guitar playing eighth notes the whole time! I know this type of playing is a style of rock guitar, but i wanna hear more variety in the rhythm part, like you did in your "new style" recording https://vocaroo.com/1wjD0BMJeQdL

Regarding that older recording: i think you said you voiced all the guitar chords kind of low so that you could get on top of it with your voice. But i think it would be interesting to hear what the guitar part sounds like in a higher register. Can you tell me which chord shapes you used on this one, so i can try to play it? Any more "new style" recordings like this one?

landgrabber posted:

every time i post about adventures in music theory or composition on guitar or something, no one responds.

regarding music theory chat: its easier for me to understand when you record examples of what you're talking about, otherwise about all i can say is "it's cool that you're learning things and enjoying the instrument"

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

I actually feel this way about a lot of things. It took me well into grown-rear end adulthood to convince myself that it was okay to listen to my choice of radio station in my own car. I don't know if there's a trauma behind it but it fucks me up BAD.

what on earth.. is someone changing your car's radio to the wrong stations or something? or is it that some imagined bystander won't approve of your music taste? wishing you luck in overcoming this stuff.

when i was first starting out, i felt some anxiety or judgement in the guitar store, maybe because most beginners are future quitters, and i wasn't sure if i had what it takes to stick with it.

but it doesn't have to be a big deal, it's just one of the many little difficulties to overcome in your guitar journey

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

you can write album after album of beautiful material no one will ever listen to or you can learn to play blackbird and make strangers think you're a guitar god

lol

Red_Fred posted:

I do find myself not telling most people I’m playing guitar again because I don’t want to be put on the spot and asked “are you good?” Etc.

:confused: "Are you good?"

It's good to know what to say when this comes up. Here are my answers:

:reject: "I learned guitar as an adult, and I don't make any money from it."
:shobon: "I don't get many complaints!"
:hehe: "I have my moments."
:wiggle: "I can string a few notes together -- wanna jam with me?"
:mmmhmm: "Someone told me I was, but then they paid for the pizza with exact change."

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i read your whole post -- i can give you my assessment as a non-gigging bedroom-player tier guitarist. It's hard for me to write this, because you seem both sensible and sensitive, and its not gonna be what you wanna hear: You are needlessly putting yourself thru a lot of cognitive dissonance by playing gigs in enclosed (potentially crowded) indoor spaces, while also (wisely) staying up to date with the latest horrors in the covid thread!

If you nevertheless choose to continue, then see how many corsi-rosenthal cubes you can set up before people start to shout at you :twisted:

Or perhaps disguise your cubes them as guitar cabs? :hmmyes:

EDIT: consider P100 respirators, or at least N95 -- KN95 is rolling the dice! Whatever you use, make sure to get a good fit, and shave if you have to

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 8, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

One thing I really struggle with conceptually is 22 fret guitars.
All mine are 24 fret and the idea of not having that full 2 octaves makes me a little anxious.
It's not like I spend all the time up there on the fretboard but still.
Scale lengths aren't as big a deal for me as they can be for some as I play(ed) a lot of bass for ages so I can adapt to different neck lengths pretty fast thankfully, but not having 24 frets weirds me out.

I'd like to like Gibsons, but I find them too physically heavy to be comfortable. My hypothetical dream bass for ages was a Thunderbird but within 2 minutes of actually picking one up I realised they aren't for me. Same with SGs. And Telecasters (but not cos they are too heavy).

Edit; I love Kool Keith because he's so weird and follows his own path, but I can imagine it's frustrating as gently caress trying to see him live.

no problem, you can get an octave by bending the note up a whole step at the 22th fret :twisted:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
if anybody is looking for a little tenor telecaster like the one i bought and posted about in the old thread, the maker has this one up for sale on reverb for right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9w7ALZO_7A

EDIT: on mine, i've changed the tuning from CGDA (all 5ths) to CFAD, so its like the top 4 strings of a normal guitar (if it was tuned town a whole step) and it's probably my favorite electric guitar for fingerstyle right now, because it's way easier to mute 4 strings instead of 6!

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 18, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

OK fair point, and my bends are pretty shoddy so I could work on them.

i was just kidding -- it's really hard to bend a whole step at the 22nd fret!

easiest is right in the middle at the 12th fret, so thats a good place to start if you want to improve your technique

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
What size frets do people like? Lately I've been playing an electric guitar that happens to have jumbo frets, and I miss them when I go to my acoustic, which has smaller frets.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a cheap and old Stratocaster clone, and I think I would like it a lot better if it had larger frets. But I don't know enough about lutherie to know how to choose an aftermarket guitar neck. Replacing the frets is a big job, and so is scalloping.

Any suggestions for me? It would be nice to have one with jumbo frets and carbon fiber reinforcement rods. Or maybe even scalloped fingerboard?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Schecter SLS Elite, the 7 string multi scale version. I have that model in a normal 6 that is one of my better playing guitars so I had to jump on this. My only gripe I can really say about it, is Schecter makes the fretboard wider than it needs to be for 7 strings. But the neck is razor thin which makes up for it. I've been up since 4am for work, then had to drive a few hours to get it after so I'm too beat down to really dive deep into it yet. Tomorrow it's going into Drop F# so I can try out some of this new Spiritbox content on Riffhard, once I'm done with that I'll probably tune it a half step down from standard because for the most part, I don't like super low tuned stuff.

Please excuse the bit of visible mess, I work like 60 hours a week and I'm highly depressed, so buying guitars has to be my priority right now.

i love to see your multiscale guitars. sucks about work -- hope you can get a break this weekend.

Do those arm rests come off that office chair / do you own an angle grinder?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize until quite recently that you could just buy B-Stock instruments directly from G&L https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/instruments

Right now, they have the butterscotch tele (made in Indonesia) for 400 bux! This is the same as mine (which I love to play) except this one looks better, because it has a rib bevel (for comfort) and the strings go thru the body instead of just thru the bridge. I guess this one is cheaper than the one I have, because it has scratches on the neck plate and body (who cares).

drat, I want to buy this guitar again.. but no... someone else should have it instead! There's also a lefty strat on there for 480 -- I imagine it's hard to find good deals on legit instruments if you play lefty. Hope this helps someone!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

nitsuga posted:

I’d talk to a luthier, but my guess would be your most affordable option might be a refret and some scalloping of the stock neck. Playing left-handed might skew this even further in that direction.

Thanks for replying to me. You're right that replacement necks are probably too expensive. I've thought about it, and the guitar i have in mind is just way too much of a piece of poo poo to spend any amount of money on (it was my very first guitar, and it was about 100 dollars.... in 2008!). So, if this is happening, i'm doing the scallop job myself with hand tools.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah the cost of a refret on a really cheap instrument is liable to chafe. I'd recommend looking for used necks online or buy a reasonably-priced replacement with the wire and treatment you want. Have you tried scalloped fretboards yet? My experience was it felt wrong until it clicked and after that I was way into it. But not enough to scallop a neck. I have a lot of necks and only the top three frets are scalloped on two of 'em.
Finding a neck for a Strat clone is one of the easier things to do, you can pull that off for sure.

I haven't played a scalloped neck before, but I think I would like it, since I enjoy those jumbo frets.

Former guitar thread poster Gnumonic was the thread expert on scalloping, and in March 2020, he said he was working on a DIY scallop project, but no updates since then. Please come back Gnu, and tell me how the project went! I'm sorry I invented and then laughed at a hypothetical scenario where you scalloped your classical guitar!

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Narrow Tall have become my favorite

Cool, I didn't even know that was an option :cheers:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

gregday posted:

I have to admit I laughed.

lol

On the topic of Les Pauls: the tune-o-matic bridges on them are probably C-tier at best. They offer very little scale length adjustability, and the individual string heights are not adjustable (you have to adjust the height of the whole bridge at each end). Almost any other bridge is better, but these still get used for aesthetic / nostalgia reasons, i suppose.

I also don't like the string break angle at the nut, the middle two strings can bind in the nut when you try to bend, and for that reason it's difficult to keep the instrument in tune.

You can work around these problems, but I would strongly prefer to buy a short-scale dual-humbucker guitar from PRS or some other manufacturer other than Gibson.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Last week, when I posted about G&L's B stock, I decided to get one of their guitars. I wanted something lighter weight than my the Tele, so I got the Doheny, which is their Jazzmaster.

I love this seafoam green finish! This guitar is lighter weight than my tele, about 8 lbs instead of 10, and I'm really appreciating that. The pickups sound NICE. One of the reasons to get a guitar from G&L is if you want the stock pickups and electronics to be legit -- they don't gently caress around with that stuff, even on their budget instruments (which is what this one is). Most guitars have a tone knob, but this one has two -- one for rolling off the bass and another for rolling off the treble. They call it the "passive bass and treble" system, and I think this should be a standard feature in all guitars, because it's a huge amount of tonal variety for free.

One of the reasons I went for this one was because I wanted to see if they could build a vibrato system that doesn't piss me off -- nope! I'm really missing the tuning stability I took for granted on my Tele. They say this vibrato system is supposed to be more stable than others, and I'm sure it is, but it's going out of tune all the same. Yeah, it's fun to bend a note flat, but its such a bad trade-off (to me) if I have to retune in the middle of playing instead of just once at the start.

Also, the factory setup on this thing was sloppy (unsurprising) and the strings were binding pretty badly in the nut, which really exacerbated the poor tuning stability. I widened the slots a little and used some lube, and it's better now -- maybe the situation will improve after a professional setup? Also, I didn't like hearing sympathetic vibrations of the vibrato springs or the boxy resonance of the cavity, so i ripped off the cover and stuffed some paper towels under the springs -- all better.

The intonation was sharp up the neck, but it was no problem for me to move the saddles and dial that in. The thinnest string broke at the tuning peg when I was doing this, so I replaced it with an extra acoustic guitar string I had sitting in the left over -- now it looks like a pirate with a gold tooth :D

Overall, I'm quite happy with it, but I won't be getting rid of my Tele anytime soon, and I will avoid vibrato systems in any future guitars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

here's a recording of one of the early solo pieces from Modern Method for Guitar, "Second Solo": https://vocaroo.com/1hnidU65DNHH

i really love these, they're so melodic and the accompaniment is chromatic / complex enough to hold my interest

i think it sounds really pretty!

you said in another post that you are playing steel string with a pick more than classical. ever play your style of music on electric guitar? that's been my instrument of choice lately

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

PuffinUp posted:

Now instead of videos of me smoking weed with my acoustic I can put out full band poo poo lol.

feels good! I had music depression for a few years after getting replaced by a much better lead guitar player in my first band. I didn’t take it well and quit playing music for a few years.

Now I’m a singer in an objectively better band.

glad you were able to bounce back, your band's recordings sound good

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

thanks! yes, this stuff sounds great on electric. i've just been to lazy to put new strings on and set up the amp

one advantage of a super bright sounding guitar (like a tele with single coils) is that it still sounds bright even when the strings are a year old!

regarding the amp: i rarely turn it on. Instead, i leave my electric guitar plugged into my computer's audio interface at all times, which makes it very convenient to pick up and play along to any music i might be listening to.

anyway, i would be curious to read about Alexander Technique as it relates to playing fingerstyle on electric guitar with good muting technique -- i will make a post about it in the other thread

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

les paul havers of the thread, what era is your LP from or based on and what are the frets like?

my LP was an Epiphone from 2008 with P90 pickups, and I often regret selling it! But then I remember it was heavy as hell and the frets were very very short, probably completely worn. The intonation was good, and there was no buzz, but I just didn't like the way it felt. So, someone else got a killer guitar that's easy to play and sounds huge, and good for them. I used the money to buy a guitar I like much better (but is also too heavy).

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Disco Pope posted:

Hey, that's what I play most days (sort of, my Strat is a MIM) and I'm very happy. Welcome aboard!

Actually, that reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask the thread - can pick-ups lose potency?

The neck pick-up on my Strat doesn't feel as dark as it used to. It works fine, but the difference between the middle and neck isn't as "woody" as I recall it being, although there is a noticable darkening of the tone. Is this a psychosomatic thing? I did drop to 9s and shelve it for a bit after a got a Tele, so im wondering if I'm looking for that night and day difference you get on a Tele which just isn't there on a Strat, especially with janglier 9s.

Another possibility is I'm just better at playing - I used to avoid neck pick-ups a lot to avoid booming low strings due to en-even strumming, but now I'm better at that, I'm not hearing that unwanted bassy noise I used to get.

it's possible for the magnets in the pickup to be degaussed, which reduces the magnetic field strength, so yes!

but pickup height / different strings might be a more likely culprit in your case, unless you have been playing around with powerful magnets

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
earlier i complained about how the vibrato system in my new guitar impacts the tuning stability.

im slowly warming up to it, learning to get pleasing sounds out of it. but a hard tail bridge is always gonna be more stable and will probably have better sustain.

i think you should get a guitar with a vibrato system if you specifically want that, and avoid it if you are indifferent!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

also, man, Lowkey, i want a fallout.

the g&l B-Stock store has the guitar you want in surf green for 400 dollars! you gotta use web search, because if i go link it here, i might just buy it before you get the chance :twisted:

maybe sell your strat and your tele if you don't think they're cool anymore, especially if it helps get you out from under your usurious creditors!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Disco Pope posted:

I might be off base, but I think in a lot of ways, LG would really dig The Beths.

They do crunchy power-pop, but all come from jazz school muso backgrounds, so they're rife with neat harmony and song structure stuff and have a cool girl singer who plays a G&L Fallout reissue (and a lead guitarist who plays a gold top Les Paul w/o being your dad's best friend). I'm thinking of asking my teacher to help me work on one of their songs next.

https://youtu.be/CkzI93Aqztk

i like this music video, and the other ones by them were good too!

i thought it was funny that the guitar lesson was like "play all these tabs exactly like this!" while the other band members had lessons like "stay focused" "be yourself" or "wear a cool hat" lmao

he's doing a rasgueado on that capo'd 8 string! his electric guitar technique has a very unique sound, which i really dig. It is sometimes its hard to hear in the mix but whaddya gonna do

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Just got mine hung up on the wall. I still can't play for poo poo, but they look nice!

they do look nice -- tasteful decorating!