Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I got, among other things, some no-name filtertrons the other day. Didn't come with mounting rings, which I wasn't surprised by, but I thought I would try switching the blacktops in my Gretsch for them for 1-1 comparison. I unsoldered the original neck pickup before seeing that Gretsch pickups use three screws to mount compared to two on my generic ones. Happily I was able to solder the original back and it seems to be working correctly.

Are there different mounts for arch- and flat-top guitars? I've not seen any evidence, will something like [ulr=https://www.axesrus.co.uk/FLT2ENGRING-p/fltl2.htm]this[/url] just flex to the curvature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Jaguar owners: what do you find is the best bridge situation there? I've got a bit of foam under the stings into the trem to stop buzz for right now, I've seen a few things like tape around the pegs to let it move less. I've seen buzzstops for about £20, which I think might also help sustain? I can also switch in a tuneomatic bridge from my kit Jazzmaster, would that render a buzzstop redundant? Is there any point at looking at aftermarking Jaguar style bridges?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I got some mounting rings and fitted the new filtertrons into my Gretsch. Happy to say it seems to be mostly a success (I previously removed and reinstalled one of it's blacktops after finding the mountings were wrong for the new ones, and also apparently screwed up a pickup on a HB tele that I still need to fix) except for one thing; I periodically get a bunch of hissing and buzzing, which I don't think is from any movement on the strings. It also doesn't disappear or change tone from me flicking the pickup selector.

Hopefully don't need to screw around with mounting again, although the clear mounts I got are not as nice as the original silvery ones, so one way or another I'd like to revert that. I was thinking of transplanting the 'trons to my old SG, but it looks like the mountings won't play nice with the pick guard.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Aw man what have I done? I've done some more tests and with the new pickups my Gretsch seems to have both pickups active regardless of switch position, how do you even do that? Seems like something you'd have to do on purpose, that accidentally you'd more likely disable one.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

My solution to a bit of fret buzz was to turn up the gain.

Why didn't you buy a Boss Katana?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

On the topic of southpaws, how common is it for left handed players to learn to just play on a right-handed guitar, with regular right-handed stringing? I ask because I saw Pearl Jam in London last week and as part of the encore they did Rockin in the Free World and were joined by John McEnroe, playing on a tele I'm pretty sure Stone (right handed) had been playing earlier, only upside-down. Not out of the question someone restrung it I suppose but a quick Google search shows him mostly playing a left handed Les Paul. To be clear; John McEnroe can definitely play guitar, just noticing that sent me down a rabbit hole a bit.

Also; I *think* I have my Gretsch sorted out with it's new pickups. It's not the most pronounced difference but manipulation of the volume dials show the pickups are being used correctly. Did have a moment where I picked it up again for one more check and it had no output at all, but I quickly found it's because the wires are the sort where the outer sheaf is metallic and needs to be soldered to ground, which I was able to do, but turns out if any part of the wire touches the bottom of a pot or something it will stop working. A quick wire tie seems to have sorted that.

One thing though; I find dialing *either*volume down past a certain point mutes both pickups, is that normal? I never noticed before, might be intentional if it seems odd, but it means I can't mute one and use the switch as a kill switch. Not a big deal really, although I'll look for normally clad wiring in future.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How do folks feel about doubling up on guitar finishes in their collection? I'm really happy with my metallic purple Jaguar, and now I've seen I can get a Bass VI in the same color, except the headstock is also painted. I was originally looking at a black one which seems to be much less prevalent on the second hand market.

Might be more for the bass thread but I'm thinking of trying to get a body cheap and do some mods, like filtertrons again. If I'm feeling ambitious I considered getting a cheap Harley Benton VS and doing major work to it, ideally including adding the Jaguar/Bass VI style switches including a strangle on the low end. But I do really like the Jaguar tremulo and would really like that on this if I pull the trigger.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

User Error posted:

I bought one of these a few years ago and it rocks. Stock bridge humbucker is kind of lame so I put a GF 'Tron in there for now.

Sick finish, did the 'Tron just fit there or is that a replacement pickguard for it?

Also are you in the UK or do they just put the UKCA logo on anything now? I don't know why but I first noticed it on a guitar box.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Can anyone spot whats wrong with the connection for the neck pickup on my Tele clone here? Only the bridge position works (nothing from middle)

I tried fitting a filtertron but just reconnected this one when it didn't fit. I think the ground should be okay like that?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm thinking about getting a looper pedal after using my tutor's, this is what he has/recommends:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/looper-pedals/tc-electronic-ditto-loop-pedal

Are there any others I should consider?

gregday posted:

A good alternative to a 339 is a D’Angelico DC Mini.

I wish I liked the D'Angelico headstocks better than I do, they otherwise seem like great options for (semi)hollow bodies.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I figure either that or he's just pretty cheap on Cameo.

Think they're mates, a quick Google search brings up that Pat was guest guitarist for the Darkness for some shows in 2015.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

good jovi posted:

I don't understand why Gibson is so stingy with the Double Cut Les Paul shape. It's the best. I'm not paying $2k for that, but a DC LP with P90s is basically my dream guitar at this point.

What does it have over an SG? When you've not got the maple top or binding on the body it seems very similar.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

They know their customer base

e: Lol the most modern player they have for a signature model is Dave Mustaine. They are all in on boomer nostalgia, Beato is a perfect fit

I heard good things about the Jerry Cantrell ones.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

good jovi posted:

nothing significant, really. Just a different look that I happen to like. Similar to how every non-Gibson SG clone is subtly wrong in some way.

I think the body is usually a bit offset? Thinking about it I'd like something like that with contouring like a Fender.

Any recommendations for a tuner? I just got a Bass VI and my Korg doesn't pick it up for guitar tuning and it uses conventional 6 string bass tuning rather than E to E. Really not sure the low E is right either but it may just be breaking in.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

the Wino or the Epi one that's white?

White one is Phantom, I think, and both but especially Wino. Gibson Wino has a piezo system as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How are you folks with letting go of guitars that are surplus? I'm up to eight now and it's getting that I need to think if I should hold on to my cheap Strat clone starter guitar. And the SG talk got me thinking if I should buy a proper Gibson and part with my Epiphone G400. Those are my first and second guitars so there's certain sentimental value to them.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I don't know if it's happened recently somehow, or I managed to not notice but both pickups are active on my Gretsch regardless of the switch position. I'm going to have a poke around but that would presumably be an issue with the switch itself, right? I don't think I've done anything there, but I guess something happened when I switched the pickups from the blacktops to real Filtertrons.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm thinking of upgrading my old Epiphone g-400 to be more in line with current G-400 pros with coil splitting. I see Stewmac has SG wiring kits which I believe will work, but I think all I really need are the new volume pots and proper 4-wire humbuckers? I would like it to keep sounding like a Gibson but Gibson pickups are expensive as poo poo, is there a good third party option, or do I need to look out for replaced G-400 Pro pickups? I'd just like this to cost less than buying a G-400 Pro.

Edit: Actually it looks like I want Probuckers, which are made by Epiphone and pretty reasonable, I even see sets on sale with the wiring harness provided.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 29, 2022

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

nitsuga posted:

That’s a lot of kit for the money with those ProBuckers. Almost impulse purchase levels…

You found the same ones I did on AliExpress?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Amazon photos reminded me of this from visiting an exhibit for Factory Records last year.

Ian Curtis's Vox Phantom. I kind of want one, even though it looks pretty ugly and uncomfortable IMO. The on board effects are kind of interesting.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Maybe I'll come around on the shape as I play standing up more, but it looks like it would be tricky getting to some of the high frets. I guess I like a guitar with switches, why I like my Jaguar and don't like the idea of trading the individual pickup switched for a single selector switch.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I ordered new wiring and pickups for my SG for coiltapping, and so I got shown a bunch of other guitar parts and started thinking about doing my own assembly. How does pairing a neck to a body work, do you just match width and scale length? Are fittings fairly universal or should I always aim to match manufacturers?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I played on my tutor's PRS last night as now that got me all interested in owning one of my own. Just felt like the right thickness, and it combined comfort contouring with a maple top which I've not seen elsewhere, and for whatever reason I could do harmonics on it much easer than my own guitars. Felt kind of like my SG but with the strap button in the right place.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Arcsech posted:

Don’t buy a Les Paul.

Buy a single cut ESP LTD instead. Basically the same look, better prices, not locked into bad design choices forever by nostalgic boomers, better QC.

I've not played an ESP although I've recently been taking a look as I'm interested in something outside the Gibson/Fender stables (or Harley Bentons and anonymous south Asian stuff) but I can say something similar for Gretsch, especially if you're down with the pickup selection, but I think a Broad'tron equipped Jet is going to make good accounting for itself against LPs in a similar price bracket, and then you have options around P90s and blacktop Fiilter'trons. Plus Bigsbys.

I'm trying to play a bunch of guitars now, my main ones are the Gretsch mentioned above (Electromatic Jet, forget the number but I've switched in cheap Chinese Filtertrons for the blacktops, Bigsby-equipped) and a Classic Vibes 70's Jaguar (I think I've discussed both in the thread) and I'm also going back to my Epiphone G400(SG), my second guitar after my Strat-clone started and which I'll shortly be updating the pickups for with coil-tapping..

I've really got into exploring the Filtertron sound and it may be I look to customize something with a set, maybe make something unique. But I also like the Jag's sound so plenty to think about, I should probably try a humbucker-equipped Jag sometime to compare tone. I really like the Jaguar controls and circuits, if I feel ambitious I might pick up a cheap HHH SG clone sometime and try to rewire it for a Jaguar/Bass VI style pickup selector, since there's nothing under the pickguard as is. Maybe even three-position switches for HB/S/off selection.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2022

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Hope good are ebony fretboard? They sound good and look nice, is it worth the trouble, expense and more limited options over other woods?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

My new ProBuckers today so should be doing the install over the weekend, but I'm not sure how I'm going to thread the wires from the humbuckers, which have the no-solder connectors on, thought the available holes? It's been a while since I looked in their so maybe it's fine and the routing will permit it, I'm pretty sure the kit is mean for exactly this.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 14, 2022

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I got the Epiphone open and yeah, the solderless connectors mean I can't thread the wires from the pickup routes into the chamber with the rest of the wiring. What should be the play here? I would have to drill a pretty big connecting tunnel, bit iffy on that. Not sure about sniping the wire and reconnecting it either, since this is for coil taping

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Are they .100 center headers like the ones you'd use to hook up your PC power switch or whatever? I'd pull the pins out of the housing (just takes a little flathead jeweler's screwdriver or similar tiny pokeything) and thread em through, then repin the housing. (take a pic before so you get the polarities right at the end)

Here;

Think this is what you were taking about? Are the black ones interchangeable?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've been poking the metal tabs on the top but not git anything yet.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 14, 2022

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Right on, its pretty tough to bust 'em, fiddle away and you'll feel when one loses engagement on the little lever retainer spring and you'll be able to pop it right out

It's not working! I've tried with various screwdriver heads and my tweezers but it just won't let go at all! Why on earth did they make these not fit their own routing?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

nitsuga posted:

In all likelihood, they run the wires and then plug them into the connector. You’d have some pretty big channels and a whole other line of guitars to manage if not.

The point is you should probably keep trying. Maybe give it a rest or watch a depinning video or two and try again. Looking at the connector, I wonder if you need to simultaneously push the wire from the back and push the clip down. Pictures here if anyone else wants to take a peek: https://reverb.com/item/40541333-epiphone-usa-probucker-humbuckers-set-neck-and-bridge-pickups-black-gold

I would keep track of which black wire is which though. Easy enough to mark one with a marker or tape.

Finally got it, but was probably more work than it should have been. It looks like they might be intended for a LP/archtop going by the mountings and a video I found that showed LPs have a big chamber the wires can be passed through. I'm not sure the connectors were meant to be taken apart and I may have to keep an eye on them in case something is lose now. I did track the black wires but I expect they are both ground and it doesn't matter which way around they are.

Also new Pat Finnerty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9SObFf03dc

He's also been doing a WMTSS podcast for about 6 weeks now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Can someone explain what a maple top sites besides look nice? I'm exploring a few ideas and got looking at PRS guitars which have both comfort carving and bound maple tops, I think there are Ibanez and even some strats with the same deal. Does it really help tone and sustain? Or from a practical view is it the same as just leaving it and having the wood of the main body uncovered?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TheMightyBoops posted:

Wait does the new anime I watched today have Beato product placement it started airing this month:

Hard to say with the text, it might reference a Harley Benton, they do an SG in that colour and it might be single pickup. Think the scratch plate is right for that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Are there any good "guitar search engines" out there. I found this one but it's quite what I'm after, I'd like to have conditions like "offset" and "comfort contours" rather than the brand-based shape classification that separates strats from the double cut catagory.

I'm giving some thought to a seven string to get ahead of the nu metal revival that must be just around the corner.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

yes but kind of and not really useful. If you can be more specific about what you're looking for threads like this can be more helpful. If you're looking for an offset 7 there's not a lot of choices right now without spending a good deal of cash.

That's the impression I get so far regarding offset 7-strings, I saw a Schecter "Jaguar" seven string on an old Reddit post which leads to some now broken links, I think it's a parts-caster (parts-uar?) or some kind of limited run, doesn't seem to be a current part of the range. I'm thinking I like offsets for comfort generally but there really doesn't seem to be many available stock. I think I really need to handle some 7-strings before going too much further, do they necessarily need wider necks? Perhaps I can mod some 6-string?

I actually got distracted and started looking at the Robert Smith signature Ultracure, although in the end it seems to be an upgraded Jazzmaster that's been left in the sun (like the opposite affliction to Robert Smith) So maybe I should look at a modded JM type, although I'm pretty sure going 7-string rules out a Bigsby.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is it right I can find replacement strat bodies for £40 or so but Jazzmaster ones are more like £150-200? Is it just a matter of strats being more common? Found a Jaguar body on AliExpress for cheap, I think that's too different to support the longer Jazzmaster scale? Still might grab it for later.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Whats the proper term for the tuners on my Jaguar and Gretsch bass where you feed the end of the string straight into the top before winding it around? Y-top or something? I've been looking and I've not found them for sale stand-alone, at least not clearly labeled as such (all Thomann's pictures seem to just be of the backs.

Does this style have any advantages over the more common type? How does it compare to a locking tuner?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ah, I thought "Vintage style" referred to the boxy covers on the back and the style of buttons but good to know.

Plank Walker posted:

I think fender calls those "Vintage style", not sure what the generic term is though. Idk that they offer any benefits, if anything they're more annoying because you have to cut the string first before winding it (a good tip for strat style headstocks is to cut the string 3 pegs past the tuner)

I just measure those 3 pegs, snip it and wind it, didn't seem to be much of an issue

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

I think it's just cuz strats are the most common guitars to get replacement parts are, like you said. And yeah the bridge placement on a jaguar is probably different from a JM

The bridge holes aren't drilled so placement is up to me, so long as it's not in the trem cavity which I'll have to check. There's also the matter of the scratch plate.

What I'm thinking is get this and a cheap/second hand Jaguar/Jazzmaster and transplant everything but the pickups which I'll be switching. Seems like the most cost-effective method as necks appear to be incredibly expensive bought in their own.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So Schecter guitars are pretty good right? Giving some thought to one, I like a bunch of their shapes like the Ultracore and Robert Smith Ultracure. I noticed they do some with filtertrons, although they are only on Cabronita-style tele-alikes, my least favorite archetype. Just wish their website made it easier to explore the range for the uninitiated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think I should hold off on anything but very cheap guitars for now (I'm thinking of a cheap base for modding) but I think at some point I'm going to make a Meteora my first "proper" Fender (as in not a Squier) the silverburst finish looks gorgeous online at least, and I feel like it might suit me a bit better than a Jazzmaster that it shares a lot of spec space with. Although I have been looking at Schecter and Reverend lately as well.

I lucked into finding a Looper Pedal on Amazon's "Black Friday" (It's not Black Friday yet) "week" (It's substantially longer than a week) and I'm having a lot of fun with it, including switching guitars and laying bass and rhythm than soloing over it. Still need to play with porting .wavs over USB. Not the one I was going to get originally but it seem to have all I need: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TVMXNTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also got a D'Addario tuner that had a few pounds knocked off which is much more convenient than my old Korg, especially having basses as well.