Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My rule of thumb is: if it's Nathan talking about himself, it's probably fake and is mostly there to give the episode a narrative it wouldn't otherwise have.

If it's about a person who's specifically identified as a real person then it's real.

The former is just stuff I accept to get to the latter, and I don't mind it since it's mostly about using the framework to create a sense of structure to what's otherwise a bunch of weird insanity without a plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

I'm also watching Nathan For You. Season 4 cos I never watched it before.

I liked episode 1 (fake micheal richards tip in diner). Episode 2 was kinda stupid. Very tim and eric (the chili suit with the toilet humour is really close to a diarrhea suit bit they had), and didn't suit the idea I have of Nathan's style. Gonna continue on though - I've never seen Finding Frances and I only just realised it's 90 minutes so it's basically a movie, really curious about it.

Do you have access to the special that aired before the season started? It aired as the first episode of the season and is pretty funny, but it sounds like you might have skipped it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

i think it was mainly the similarity to a tim and eric sketch that was putting me off. just felt like i'd seen this joke before, and i expect the unexpected from nathan. the second half with the wart massages was better.

i did because i don't know what special you mean. it's possible i saw it back when it was on, i just sort of faded off the show after s3 i think. but now I'm back on the ride.

Yeah, it's the first episode of Season 4 and aired a week before the rest of the season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nathan_for_You_episodes#Special_(2017)

Worth tracking down if you can, they bring back the host from The Hunk.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

my parasocial relationship with nathan is based on me being unethical and evil, please speak for yourself

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Martman posted:

I'd need to comb through the episode but I feel like Nathan gave one of his more blatant looks of character-breaking disgust either in Robin's apartment or when discussing him driving while high. I really wonder how many people like this he'll encounter this season who really remove all the discomfort about taking advantage of them because they come off as completely terrible people.

Yeah, he absolutely broke character for a second during the licence plate exchange.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Upgrade posted:

This show taught me that you don't need a license plate to drive.

How much do you wanna reckon he took it off because it didn't have the right numbers on it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mean, she's a bit crazy and I wouldn't want to hear her perspective on, say, homosexuality, but I kinda liked her based on episode two. She seems naively invested in whatever is in front of her, e.g. her attempts to set boundaries with Nathan right at the end, just as he attempts to move in.

Pretty sure this whole thing is gonna end with her being driven out of the house and replaced with an increasingly uncomfortable actress that has to pretend to be her though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

These very highfalutin reviews of the show are getting annoying to me. The guests are weird, Nathan is a freak, move on folks

Yeah, the moral panics are exhausting and stupid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Danzel Glovington posted:

Could be scripted lines for the kid, could've been improvised, maybe the kid really did convince himself he was really in those pictures.

I think, generally, unless we're told someone has been explicitly told to put on a performance I just assume they're not. Those kids have probably just been told to pretend they're called Adam and that Nathan and Angela are their parents, everything else is unscripted.

It'll be funny to see how later episodes deal with the angry teen phase of things.

Please please please let there be a scene where Nathan tries to get Angela to explain the birds and the bees (not that she'd do it). lmfao

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He got both. The kid suggests catwoman, and then Nathan suggests the fried egg costume.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I can't read the full article, but it sounds like it's a classic case of a reviewer feeling uncomfortable and then acting like the show was in the wrong to make them feel that way. Would people who can read the article agree?

IMO if you're a paid reviewer, you should be better than "this show made me feel the yucky feelings and that's scawy :3".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, that piece really doesn't get that Fielder is playing a character, but no one else is. It's literally Borat, without the cartoonish central performance making it clear that the central character is some safe, make believe person and that depiction doesn't equal endorsement.

Seems like maybe a case of twitter poisoning.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

My read was that Patrick was not at all prepared be that emotionally vulnerable in front of them and an entire tv crew, had an experience that was both cathartic and embarrassing to him (imagine if you were a guy who identified with the Punisher enough to wear a necklace next to your loved one's ashes and then ended up breaking down in 4k) and bailed. I dunno, his phone call at the fair about trying funnel cake for the first time sounded like an afterglow moment where he just wanted to enjoy being in the moment with his girlfriend after getting all that off his chest.

This one came the closest to feeling cruel for me so far but I think it also genuinely gave him a little bit of peace. Really just an incredible piece of television.

Yeah, I think he got embarrassed and dipped, and then when Nathan said he'd come and track him down at the carnival he'd probably have left and completely bailed on the project.

Dude's also not so dumb as to not put two and two together with the super contrived gold hunt trip, if not in the moment then when reporting the events to someone else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Iirc Patrick invited him to the carnival on the phone. Obv he could still have dipped but it was less stalkery of Nathan

We don't see that call, but it could have been anything from "hey man, yeah, come to the carnival" to him just saying "...sure" when Nathan asked if he could come along.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Funking Giblet posted:

Honestly had tears in my eyes laughing during this episode. It's insane.

Oh yeah, the overdose was just hysterical.

Or the casual bit where the re-enactor revealed that the red beanie lady had somehow gained access to her victim's primary's house.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

snoremac posted:

The overdose scene made me notice for the first time that Nathan can actually act.

He's got a proper fiction show filming right now, where he's playing opposite Emma Stone. Pretty excited to see what he'll be like in that capacity.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spermanent Record posted:

I feel like the reset was more for Nathan's benefit than Angela's. This episode demonstrated that he was doing these rehearsals mostly for himself and he wanted another chance to raise a six-year-old. Which is insane because he's now inserting himself into everyone else's rehearsals and inflicting his own insecurities on them. Angela has become an actor in his rehearsal.

If this poo poo is real then the recursive layers of rehearsals with the actors is one of the craziest things I've ever seen on TV.

It's not real. If Nathan is ever claiming to do something "for himself" it's actually "for the show".

This show's a high concept prank show where the host doesn't break character. He's not really getting the emotional experience of raising a human being. The entire gag where Nathan goes away for a bit and then comes back and the kid is aged up is just so the show can do crazy dumb stuff.

Mons Hubris posted:

When Adam jumps up off the stretcher and runs off before they put him in the ambulance, is he meant to be in character? Or in character as the actor playing Adam? Or neither?

He's in character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

iirc reviewers were only given 5 out of 6 episodes so the last ep is guaranteed to have some kind of mad twist

Not really. This is a pretty common practice for a lot of shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fly Ricky posted:

This dude hasn’t watched the show.

I'm just questioning the logic of the argument. Maybe the finale will have a big twist, maybe it won't, but I don't think you can make a call based on a fairly common review practice, that's all my argument is saying.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

Because unlike most reality shows, it's not about the other people. It's about Nathan. The episodes focus on his methods and his attempts to perfect the Rehearsal.

Which Nathan are we talking about here -- Nathan Fielder, the human being running a prank show, or "Nathan", the character he's constructed through voice over and editing?

Because I agree that the show is performance art, but the character being constructed here isn't a genuine human being, and I dunno if there's much point talking about "Nathan" like he is one, or that he's genuinely trying to construct and perfect a theatrical / therapy hybrid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

I disagree.

First off, we can only talk about Nathan, the character, because that's all we have. I'm not interested in trying to understand Nathan, the real person. I'm sure there's some overlap, but that's not at issue here.

But more importantly, what makes Nathan different from Frasier or Captain Picard or George Costanza? They are all characters, they are all incomplete, but we look at them as genuine human beings.

It feels like the show is itself an exploration of that Host character on a reality TV show, and trying to get into the head of that character.

In what ways is Nathan lacking in humanity? He has desires. He has hopes. He has dreams. He has flaws. We feel sympathy for him. What is he if he's not a genuine character?

I mean, I think we're talking a little past each other -- I don't see Fraser or Picard as genuine human beings, but the Nathan we get on the show is basically on the same level as that tbh, just inflected through more improv or whatever. So yeah, I'm fine with talking about him on that level.

Talking about him on a deeper level, however, I'm more reluctant to do. I get that there's some blurred lines here, which is the case for pretty much any performance, particularly a long term one. But, whatever personal details can be evidenced from the show, I don't really believe we can get much of a concrete insight into the guy himself. The way we talk about the two personas, using the same name for both, I think blurs this further, and can make understanding whether a random goon is talking about the show, the creator or some other amalgam of the two very difficult -- which was more my original point.

roomtone posted:

i doubt some of you would accept any criticism. been here since the start of the thread mostly just saying it's good, the second i say an episode isn't working for me i'm the new yorker article guy. you're being utter dicks. 'loving hell how are people this bad at watching tv' in every single thread. you don't have the one correct opinion.

im outta here

Not wrong, this happens in a lot of popular threads and it's often just bad faith, glancing takes that don't actually serve to add to the conversation or, indeed, expose the opinions of the people saying these things to much scrutiny. It's not great.

I've seen it get to you in another thread recently too and I felt kinda bad for you. Look after yourself rt.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The scene where the mum is talking about how she knows her kid will be okay hit me the hardest, I think, just because it made me realise how loving terrible I'd be as a parent -- something confirmed reading people's posts here and elsewhere, and seeing how much they related to the material in front of them. I just couldn't do that, it was completely foreign to me. I know my tone, the things I'd consider important in the moment as I was saying the words I'd be saying, they'd be completely different. It'd come from a completely different place. I'd never, ever look at my child and think they they'd be fine because they look like me, and the level of patience and care that she and Nathan showed the kid... I just couldn't do that, instinctively, you know?

Nathan and the mum both let the kid come to his own conclusions and set boundaries firmly but carefully, and try to use worked examples to try and generate empathy. But even the language -- insisting that Nathan is Remy's "friend". I'd never even think to use that word. I wouldn't think to protect the kid like that. My first instinct would be to hard boundaries, pull the bandaid off, let the kid learn a cruel lesson of life -- protect the child in that way, you know? And not lie about them being "friends".

I know the cameras are pointed at them and so they're obviously going to be trying to be on their best behaviour, but the way they talked and interacted was just like nothing I'd ever experienced growing up. I probably didn't have the best parental models, and I guess I wasn't lucky enough to be exposed to other parents and see how they raised their children.

The Doctor Farts thing too. The way Nathan defends it to Angela by saying that he let the kid lead, and that they had fun, and Angela just comes down on it all like a tonne of bricks, using satanic panic to make these high minded, public reason excuses as to why it's "wrong" to play act in ways she finds personally distasteful -- reminded me of how my parents would complain I was "torturing" them if I tried to watch an episode of Doctor Who with them, or whatever. Pretty clear, of the two of them, who'd make a better parent.

Just sort of unlocked a lot of feelings in me, I guess.

Alan Smithee posted:

want 2 get balls deep in dummy angela

she dummy thicc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sticksy posted:

The actress playing the part of the PA commenting to the mom about Nathan being "a weird dude"

For some reason I thought she was the real PA lmao.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mordja posted:

Is the first episode gonna be the only hour long one?

Not to my knowledge, no.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

How many eps is this

ten

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Emma Stone being shocked and concerned over him giving out a hundo helped a little, they're both cheap, but she valued rep more and respected the curse.

Maybe I need to go back, but I thought she wasn't being cheap. I got a solid laugh out of the idea that she was worried about how much money he'd spent, but instead of sharing Asher's concerns that it was too high it turned out that she was worried that he hadn't been sufficiently performative.

Edit: nevermind, I went back and checked and it's impossible to tell. She's just pissed and concerned.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 15, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fawning deference posted:

I'll admit that I agree with this, esp since Nathan is really not a good actor alongside of her

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, she's serving art as a product.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Martman posted:

Starting to wonder if Dougie actually orchestrated the whole curse situation because he's desperate to spice up the show and, as we're seeing, he also may be literally insane

or were people finding this kinda obvious >_>

Yeah I've been thinking this myself, but a friend just read it as Dougie being a magical thinker who blames his behaviour on outside nonsense.

But nah, he's absolutely, at least, geeing Asher up so that he gets more paranoid and erratic and therefore makes good tv.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 3, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The jumper scene was the show's highpoint so far.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah those are two different characters. The alcoholic is Dougie and the buff casanova is Nathan Fielder.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's also that amazing shot where that camera slowly pushes in on the super stoic cameraman at the centre of the frame, while Whitney and Asher awkwardly cringe and panic around the margins.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

loving skinny jeans

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wish this show was slightly better constructed e.g. this slow moving chiropractor subplot didn't need to be dolled out in single scene chunks over several episodes. It could all have been in the same one. That scene, this episode, was loving squirm inducing though, and also uhh straight up hosed up how the guy kept going despite Abshir telling him to loving stop, repeatedly. And then the dude just gives up and lets it happen. Poor loving guy. I watched it last night and still find it kind of upsetting to think about.

I'm finding the show funny and effective though, and I love all the random poo poo they seem to throw in because they just happened to see it that day and want to show it off, like the mechanical baby catcher, or the local colas, or that one firefighter with the rad style. It's a bit loosey goosey as a result, but, you know, I'm here for that.

Dougie's fairly obviously loving with Asher and trying to drive a wedge between him and Whitney (because, yeah, he's got a thing for her and she's got a thing for him). Though he's probably correct about their show being boring on top of it all.

Gotta give the guy kudos for his truly awful sense of style on display this ep.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I guess that could be it. She definitely has more chemistry with Dougie than with Asher though, or is at least more comfortable around him and seems to spark off him a little more honestly as a result.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought she was trying to bond with Cara over trashing the show, and maybe torpedoing Dougie and Cara'a relationship a bit. I dunno if she was compromising her opinion on the thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
"Well Asher told me in private that he has a really small penis, and that's a joke."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I can sense a slight improv vibe, where the actors have been allowed to workshop the scenes for a bit before shooting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Medullah posted:

I'm wondering if next week will be the "final" episode and the 10th episode is just going to be the episode of the show being aired

This is my vibe, or perhaps a true crime documentary as suggested by another poster above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

panko posted:

affluent teens driving into the neighborhood to shoplift is straight up cancer

Oh nah he's not rich.

[mumbles]his dad is tho