Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

idk what's going on in this thread but the rear end wiping sub plot had me guffawing loudly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Gold digger city over here

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/aherman2006/status/1555677031261581312

Ominous and intriguing.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

alf_pogs posted:

let's hear it for real mums and pretend dads

lol

Anyways, people shouldn't be so hard on Remi's mom. She's a single parent living in a double wide and very clearly loves her son, everyone should cut her some slack.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My wife is going to be thrilled when I tell her she's been living with a comedy genius all these years.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I got both those vibes too fwiw but I was terrible at dating and thank christ I found a woman who puts up with me

e: I don't know if anyone knows Fielder but I have an incredible pitch for him: a game show called Nathan Fielder's Celebrity Escape Room where it's like a spoof of one of those network celebrity game shows except they're trapped in a room ( with Nathan on their team ) trying to solve complex puzzles and escape.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 29, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

timp posted:

I think it was actually something closer to “I’m a pedophile” and to answer your prompt I still don’t see him committing to saying that today :lol:

Also it was H. Jon Benjamin feeding him the lines which just made it even funnier

I don't think he was afraid to say it, but it would have stopped the bit dead in it's tracks.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Trying posted:

It's basically a sci fi rule that a creative type imagines some awful scenario destroying man's humanity to man and then later some tech bro implements it in real life as an exciting business opportunity

https://twitter.com/alexblechman/status/1457842724128833538

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah Royce was definitely some kind of scumbag and or crook.

But Paul was kind of a scumbag and crook too so it all comes out in the wash imo

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I keep having this guy creep into my thoughts and I think I'm going to read Duplicity god help me

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I can fix him

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The entire show was worth it just for W. Earl Brown showing up as Royce Rocco.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Royce Rocco showed up at the end and seemed like a pretty cool parrothead I thought

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

atrus50 posted:

cant really say i gently caress with the cinematography here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tui5vl13Gqg

Ooooh this gives me Quentin Dupieux vibes

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just bought a ticket to see the finale of The Curse in a theatre in January. Let's goooo

Thanks for reminding! I just bought one too and put it on blast to a few friends.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If they don't make someone eat poop or something poop flavored in the first 45 mins, I'm walking out.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The problem with Paul T Goldman was not enough Royce Rocco.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty sure he just produced on John Wilson. I don’t think he had any major creative involvement. How to with John Wilson is god tier though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

Nathan actually talks about his creative involvement in this mini feature 'Anatomy of the bread scene'

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 9, 2023

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Once you put it between the bread, it's all the same.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 17, 2023

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNkGnvP7C3A&t=11s

I love this show, I love Gary Farmer

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I would've eaten the turkey.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Alan Smithee posted:

where are you nerds buying curse tickets

https://tiff.net/events/the-curse

I think it's in Toronto only.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Aye Doc posted:

there's supposed to be a Q&A screening happening with Safdie somewhere today

Oooooh I hope this is in Toronto because I'm gonna be there :hellyeah:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Here's my thing, which has sort of been said already, I think Asher wasn't suddenly floating upwards so much as he was repelled by Mama Whitney. She suddenly didn't need him for validation in the same way once she became a mother. And that dynamic was the only thing holding them together.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Oh I should say I really liked it too, the epidural bit really hit me.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tony quidprano posted:

The finale shows him basically running out of use as a utility to others (he clearly doesn't have the charisma necessary to save the show, limiting his use to Whitney and Dougie. Rachel Ray laid out that the houses aren't a serious practical solution to any problem and they know that given they put A/C in for the baby. And finally he can't even get the phone or go bag for Whitney) all while he literally fails upwards.

Yeah I like this interpretation too, it ties into the satire of white privilege that runs through the whole season.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

If you enjoy the cringe comedy stylings of master manipulator and Canadian business school graduate Nathan Fielder, know that you’re not alone. In fact, you’re in company with everyone’s favorite richest man on Earth. Elon Musk also apparently feels a deep connection to Fielder’s off-kilter humor, and is sure that he could/should/would be friends with the funny man.

The Tesla CEO first invited the former Nathan For You host to lunch at SpaceX in 2016, according to a report from The New York Times. And he continued to include Fielder on party guest lists for years after, in an attempt to aggressively foster friendship with the comedian, wrote the Times. In each interaction, “the famous businessman invited the famous fake businessman to his parties and would strain to make the deadpan Canadian laugh.”

An unnamed comedy writer told the Times that “Mr. Musk has a deep-seated need to be recognized as funny.” Which is... relatable, if a little sad.

Thinking about this story, and then thinking about Whitney's relationship with Cara.

Then thinking about Elon Musk cornering Nathan at a party and demanding he explain the ending to him, asking if he was supposed to eat the turkey.

e: Elon and Whit both being tremendous nepo babies

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 14, 2024

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Open Source Idiom posted:

Emma Stone is just so masterfully funny at this point, particularly the bit where she's bounding across the floor, trying to dodge an "air pocket" that we know doesn't exist but she very definitely believes in. The utterly ridiculous series of Maguivers are such a good touch. The completely ridiculous comedy bit with the vacuum cleaner is inspired. Completely logical from their point of view, but utterly ridiculous to us.

I thought this was really great comedy too, she's so physically funny in this moment.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Picturing an alternate version of this show that starts with Asher flying through the atmosphere before it freeze-frames and he comes on the voiceover with "you might be wondering how I got here".

Someone has to do this edit for a first show cold open, complete with record scratch sound effect.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

deep dish peat moss posted:

. In particular a lot of them were about how Asher's world would turn upside down if Whitney left him or didn't need him, which is presumably what would happen following her having a baby - she'd spend all of her time and energy on the baby and Asher wouldn't get any attention, which he would be too emotionally immature to see as anything beyond his loss of positive reinforcement. It was established several times that he doesn't really help anyone with anything beyond providing financial backing, which would presumably be the case with him raising a child too, and he wouldn't really have a place in the family - causing his world to turn upside down, because he hinged his entire self worth on having an attractive wife who was beholden to him.

This was my conclusion too, and I wonder if it was colored by my own experiences in parenting/marriage.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Season 2: Asher has a twin brother Osher who moves to Espiñola to help take care of the baby.

These property reno reality guys always have twin brothers.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Stunt Rock posted:

I still find it amazing that people could watch the entirety of The Curse and walk away going “yeah it was just a literal curse the whole time what else would it be???”

I mean, i was this stupid when I read Cuckoos Nest in high school and didn't get the Jesus allegory until it was spelled out for me.

So I kind of get it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DoctorWhat posted:

really good post.

Woah positivity city over here

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It's an optical illusion. They actually created a mock Espiñola inside a 1,000 ft hole. Nathan isn't high, he just seems that way because everything else is so low.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Guess how old 61

e: He's a cherry tomato boy for sure

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 1, 2024

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Literally living in the Nathan Fielder universe rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I hope they remake the whole first season, but entirely from the perspective of the secondary characters, film crew and townspeople. Just three people flailing around out of their element in the background, while everyone rolls their eyes and mocks them for 10 episodes.