Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PostNouveau posted:

lol a 33% subsidy to keep her rent at its old rate means that her rent increased 50%

For 18 months no less haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Argue posted:

Nathan and Safdie said (presumably jokingly) that they were comfortable offering a million dollars to anyone who could guess the ending. Any takers?

Asher will become increasingly convinced that the daughter has magic powers and will beg her to increase his penis size via a reverse curse.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I've been rewatching Nathan For You and good god does it still hold up. He has such a great eye for showing things the most awkward, horrible way ever.

Though I did cringe a bit too much on the "fat people riding horses" episode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Watching Finding Frances and man, eerily prophetic when they're watching Donald Trump on TV

"I think he's gonna win" - Bill

"Why do you think that? He's losing in the polls" - Nathan

"Can't trust the polls" - Bill

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tetramin posted:

Did people really get offended at the horse riding company NFY thing? I mean, it’s a loving insane and ridiculous premise, but I don’t think it was in any way mean or fatphobic or anything lol.

I just rewatched it yesterday. It is definitely a "laugh at fat people" but, they wouldn't have shown the people laughing and taking pictures of them if not.

That said, I laughed my rear end off and I am a fat person

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

God this show makes me so uncomfortable. I love it but I feel like I need to take a shower afterwards.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm wondering if next week will be the "final" episode and the 10th episode is just going to be the episode of the show being aired

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Whit's move with the credit card turned a small attempted robbery into open season which i imagine is bad for the neighborhood and its residence

And lol that she claimed it was Urban Art lmao

Yeah really all it would have taken was one person noticing that they got away with shoplifting for word to spread. She asks him how many pairs he stole on the way out and boom, that's on the Internet in seconds

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm pretty sure watching my parents have sex would make me feel less uncomfortable than this episode.

It kinda reminds me of Dear Zachary where it's an amazing watch and I will salt the earth so I never have to see it again

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Brock Samson posted:

What in the jesus gently caress was that

How the hell is this gonna end

why did it happen

I just can't see the finale topping this week's episode. I really hope they aren't angling for a second season, this defniitely should be a single season story.

I'd be down for The Curse Season 2 with Stone and Fielder playing different roles though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I finally started Paul T Goldman and don't really get why the show is included in the title. I guess it's a little like an inverse Rehearsal, in that he's acting out his life after the fact instead of before, but otherwise I don't get the connection. It's awkward? Is that it?

How many episodes are you in? Because episode 2 is a very different show than episode 5

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I just finished episode two...

:tinfoil:

You ain't seen nothing yet

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

a nearby judge, witness to the spectacle, leads him directly to jail

Nah, Whitney is going to panic and flee the state. Asher will need to track her down, so he needs the best private investigator he can get. He opens up Yelp and looks for one with a good review...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Harminoff posted:

I mean the movie "Happiness" is considered a comedy, but I'd say that is even more off putting and non comedy than this is.

Oh man comparing this to Happiness is a pretty perfect comparison. Just uncomfortable as hell to watch but you love it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I cannot believe the entire episode was focused on what it focused on. This finale feels like a bet Nathan made with someone.

10/10 will never watch again but loving loved the show hahahaha

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

In hindsight, this was a bit too formulaic and mundane.
Whitney gets freaked out and starts having contractions and rushes to the hospital. When the baby arrives Asher doesn't show up because he's fully focused on his personal problems.

I'm kind of up in the air in how I feel about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

can't believe so many people liked that. it was weird and boring actually.

I don't think I "liked" it but it was in theme with how bizarre the show was. I think Nathan just wanted to do an art project

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

snoremac posted:

Asher smiling silently for three minutes on the cooking show before the meatball/baby comment was excruciating.

And the extra long shot of them just smiling in front of the camera like hostages after was amazing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I thought mid-episode that they were going to wind up designing a home that allows Asher to live on the ceiling and get a reality show about the ups and downs of living up and down.

"Coming this fall, 'We're In Over Our Heads, well at least Asher is'

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

oh man I just realized...they're "flipping" houses...show ends with a house "flipped" in a manner of speaking

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

gurragadon posted:

I don't think it's ever really stated but he could easily be a squatter. But like just refuse the gift. Or say you need to think about it. Or ask about the logistics but say thank you. If somebody gives you a house that you have been living in for several years you should accept it.

I mean I thought it was pretty explicit. It's Asher's house, they're staying there without his knowledge until he breaks the lock and comes in.

I think ultimately Abshir just wanted to take advantage of the gravy train as long as he could, and he feels zero gratitude for it because he has no respect for Asher and Whitney

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Angryhead posted:

Binged The Curse over a couple of days a few days ago so I've had some time to stew on it and read through the thread. Got some more appreciation for the finale thanks to that, 'cause I didn't much care for it at first (besides the amazing cooking show bit)
Still not a fan of the big turn, but on the whole I'm glad that I watched the show, enjoyed and "enjoyed" it a lot. Definitely read like a comedy to me FWIW, like sure there's a ton of dramatic tension but it's played for laughs or to point out the ridiculousness of the character and situations. Although maybe it's kind of the "every game is an RPG" effect.

Anyway, I've been rewatching Twin Peaks have to share this shot of Nadine staring at her shoes:

I am really glad I got to watch it week to week. As much as I love a good binge watch I think shows like The Curse are way better when you've gotten time to really let it stew and think about what's going to happen the next week.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bobjr posted:

Ghost Asher and instead of being like an HGTV house building show it’s one of those travel channel ghost hunting ones

And he finds a house to haunt, only to find out the realtor is a ghost free realtor

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Another Bill posted:

It's an optical illusion. They actually created a mock Espiñola inside a 1,000 ft hole. Nathan isn't high, he just seems that way because everything else is so low.

Nah they actually just filmed it in reverse. They took him up into the space shuttle and dropped him

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Anyone do a rewatch yet?

I don't have the strength to do a rewatch any time in the near future.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ugh while I have faith in Nathan it really doesn't need a second season. That ending was pretty much "ideal".

Though it would be funny for him to just be back with no mention of the finale, except he's always holding on to a railing or something.

Or it's Asher's twin brother.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nah s2 is going to be about how they got the idea to do the show in the first place. It will have them meeting with a consultant, who just so happens to have really good grades from business school...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I'd watch that if it was a completely adult Nathan Fielder playing the baby, and basically no one ever acknowledged it and just played their scenes completely straight and deadpan. No superimposition or effects, just acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxwMTAy1gP0

So basically

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

atrus50 posted:

fielder has announced his narrative feature debut: he's doing the bluetooth anal beads story https://x.com/THR/status/1785868840947290556

My god I'm so in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Are surveillance anal beads a real product? Can you hear through stuff up your butt? How did anyone go from "mysterious moves, seems like cheating but it's unclear how" to "cheatering anal beads"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WycN_ZklJBo