Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They deserve each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I had a dream last night where the twist was Dougie isn’t actually a real person and is a figment of Asher and Whitney’s imagination, and while it makes no sense I wasn’t surprised either.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Its not HGTV but it's adjacent, the Asher/Whitney stuff gives me the vibes of a Food Network show from around 15 years ago called Down Home with the Neelys which followed a married couple and they were just so totally saccharine, but it had huge ratings. After five years the show ended abruptly because it came out the couple weren't getting along, had been about to get a divorce, but their show got picked up and since their relationship was central, they got trapped into faking a marriage that had been about to collapse for the benefit of Food Network viewers for half a decade.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

What in the jesus gently caress was that

How the hell is this gonna end

why did it happen

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Brock Samson posted:

What in the jesus gently caress was that

How the hell is this gonna end

why did it happen

I just can't see the finale topping this week's episode. I really hope they aren't angling for a second season, this defniitely should be a single season story.

I'd be down for The Curse Season 2 with Stone and Fielder playing different roles though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

https://screenings.a24films.com/curse/the-curse-finale-special-screening_fine-arts-theatre_Jan-08-2024_7-00-PM/

I signed up. Crossing my fingers I get a ticket.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I finally started Paul T Goldman and don't really get why the show is included in the title. I guess it's a little like an inverse Rehearsal, in that he's acting out his life after the fact instead of before, but otherwise I don't get the connection. It's awkward? Is that it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I finally started Paul T Goldman and don't really get why the show is included in the title. I guess it's a little like an inverse Rehearsal, in that he's acting out his life after the fact instead of before, but otherwise I don't get the connection. It's awkward? Is that it?

How many episodes are you in? Because episode 2 is a very different show than episode 5

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I just finished episode two...

:tinfoil:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Argue posted:

I heard the ending is very divisive and outlandish and Nathan and Benny seem to think nobody will be able to guess it; I'm gonna guess it's something like, the paranormal is real and they end up with a paranormal TV show that's a huge success for having conclusive proof of ghosts and I dunno, maybe they start gentrifying the afterlife or something while Whitney refuses to get the curse lifted because it's culturally insensitive. Or I dunno, maybe they were dead all along.

That's the word going around, but for as much crazy stuff has happened, I wouldn't say it's gone off the rails. I'm not believing anything really insane is going to happen in the finale. I did go back and watch the trailer for any bits that haven't happened yet, and there was a big indication that one of the passive homes will catch on fire. There's a bit with smoke filling a room and another with whitney crawling on the floor. This would tie into the guy with the gas range and the firehouse losing power.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I just finished episode two...

:tinfoil:

You ain't seen nothing yet

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Leon Sumbitches posted:

This post is gonna be iconic once you're done with the show

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

its this nebulous genre that The Curse actually kind of strays from- like a mockumentary, but, instead of relying on tropes from mostly mid/late 20th century documentaries, it leans harder on 21st century reality TV trappings

Jason Woliner and Nathan Fielder are shaping the same clay into different sculptures, i think, tho i am still a Paul T Goldman Is Not A Real Man truther (imo this makes the whole thing even better)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Holy poo poo what I wouldn't give to be able to attend that

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
To be fair PTG really doesn't have much connection to The Rehearsal beyond having a fair amount of crossover appeal. I'm certainly not upset I watched it. Paul is compelling in how repulsive he is, the camera despises him.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Does anyone else think this last episode is just Whitney and Ashur subjecting everyone around them to Ashur's humiliation and cuckold fetish? After seeing the damning clip he wanted everyone to see it. Maybe she really wanted him to see the pottery scene because she knew it would drive him wild.

Calling it now, the final episode's twist is that they are a loving and supportive couple with kinks that make me and everyone else deeply uncomfortable.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I think they lose their show to the couple fake-buying their house.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Shrimpy posted:

I think they lose their show to the couple fake-buying their house.

Yeah that’s what I reckon too

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

i get it

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

latest episode was excruciating from start to finish. it’s my shame that I immediately knew what asher was going for with his “everyone loves a palmer” quip.

again great economy of storytelling with whitney’s siegel vanity search being clean of connection to the low-income housing but her maiden name pulling up an article and an old picture. despite the ending, cara at the spa, asher’s crotch chops at bowling, and whitney’s mom calling her star of david necklace “playing dress-up”, the duelling countdown scene was the hardest to watch for me

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lister posted:

I didn't read it as that. It seemed to me like she clearly wants out of the marriage. She was fine with doing a 180 and being affectionate again it that's what the show needed. But then Asher began acting extra repulsive with his cuck fetish and empty bravery. Once the HGTV exec made it clear that they don't really want to make the show she has in mind, it seems like her plan was to push asher away, but also allow that to nuke the show so she isn't blamed for it. I don't think asher is manipulating her, as much as he's just actually that pathetic. It was hard to read whitney's reaction since I wasn't sure if she was genuinely moved (probably not) or saddened that she's saddled with the obligation of being with such a dork and there's no way she's going to be able to get out of it without looking like an awful person.

I can't read if Asher is genuine and/or if Whit was moved or horrified (I think horrified). The only one I could truly connect with in that scene was Dougie who was miserable with being in the room with those people.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

those pots are pricey huh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Leon Sumbitches posted:

A mod liked the show and added it into the title even though I asked him to take it out for having almost nothing to do with the show I made a thread about. he said no and apparently it's his thread now cause he's a mod or whatever, but I agree it's absolute nonsense it annoys me tbh.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

A mod liked the show and added it into the title even though I asked him to take it out for having almost nothing to do with the show I made a thread about. he said no and apparently it's his thread now cause he's a mod or whatever, but I agree it's absolute nonsense it annoys me tbh.
skill issue

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This Reddit post collects reviews about the finale and it’s been awhile since I’ve anticipated a show this much:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCurse/c...nt=share_button

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Green Queen goes to series and ends up being incredibly successful -- the most popular television series of all time. Cut to the space year 3591. Future humans resurrect clones of Whitney and Asher and force them to present new episodes of Green Queen for all eternity. Unfortunately they fail to resurrect Dougie, the secret sauce in the show's production, since he drunk drove into one of those reflective houses and accidentally set fire to all his DNA. Realising their mistake the future humans swiftly cancel Green Queen 2. Whitney and Asher's clones are left homeless on the space streets of 3591.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Green Queen goes to series and ends up being incredibly successful -- the most popular television series of all time. Cut to the space year 3591. Future humans resurrect clones of Whitney and Asher and force them to present new episodes of Green Queen for all eternity. Unfortunately they fail to resurrect Dougie, the secret sauce in the show's production, since he drunk drove into one of those reflective houses and accidentally set fire to all his DNA. Realising their mistake the future humans swiftly cancel Green Queen 2. Whitney and Asher's clones are left homeless on the space streets of 3591.

They specifically asked you not to talk about the finale, you jerk!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Maybe she really wanted him to see the pottery scene because she knew it would drive him wild.

She wanted him to see the pottery footage because she thought it'd end the relationship without her having to end it directly. You can see her dawning horror when she asks him if he still wants to be with her after seeing it and he's like "more than ever". Chilling.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Green Queen doesn't end up getting picked up and Whitney divorces Asher. Flash forward one year and now Whitney is fully embracing being a slumlord. Meanwhile.....Asher is now doing a sustainable cooking show called Pasta Cuck with his new wife, Greta Thunberg.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
A green slumlord. With sustainable slums.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Ashers acting in the big emotional scene was so strange and off putting its like breaking the fifth wall

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Asher's freakout at the end made me think he must have done something similar to that to be married to Whitney in the first place. I think she was genuinely moved, she has something of a main character syndrome where she wants Asher to worship her and at the same time can't handle him being his own person. Basically every time she complains about him in this show it's because he's doing something that doesn't serve her direct needs. Asher is in the process of becoming the Kwisatz Haderach of cucks.

Where is it going to end? Well, I have to imagine Fernando will play into it, and I'm still hedging my bets that someone is gonna crash a car into the stupid mirror house. I'm gonna take the somewhat safe choice and say that the ultimate curse is that these two will never be able to separate from one another despite the fact that it will destroy them. Maybe Asher WILL get to actually take a bullet for Whitney.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm excited for everybody who makes it to that first-come first-serve finale screener tomorrow but now I feel like I gotta be real cautious about spoilers all week

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
One thing that really surprised me, on top of the normal WTFs, is that Dougie is a talented producer. He turned in a solid show, even when he had to rely on b-roll.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Despite all that happened in the episode, the extended land acknowledgement, where they are both reciting the lines at the same time for some reason, was the toughest part to get through.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's going to turn out the whole thing takes place in an alternate universe where the historical context somehow 100% justifies everything Whitney and Asher are doing

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Whitney gets pregnant and gives birth to the anti-Christ. “Steve” is the father. This then leads into the second season. This is what Benny Safdie was talking about when he said there was still a lot more to explore if they did a season two.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Asher is a terminator from the future, but he's cursed

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The finale devotes a strangely large amount of time to a highly detailed flashback to Asher and Whitney's wedding. The moment Whitney says "I do", Nathan Fielder drops the act and reveals that the entire show was a complicated pretence just to trick Emma Stone into marrying him. That's right, the wedding was real. The show suddenly cuts to black, but the subsequent litigation proceedings last for months. Safdie documents the fallout in a long form documentary called "For Better Or For The Curse" which airs on HGTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i loved the cgi sequence of the passive house being put together. it was a pitch perfect match of the mediocre cgi that reality shows love to shove everywhere. and the punchline at the end with the multiracial couple with disabled child showing up was immaculate