Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

stromboni posted:

After only one episode, this show is now the only thing I can think about. My brain no longer has room for anything else

Same. Although to be fair, this was also me in 2018 with "Barry," 2019 with "I Think You Should Leave," then "How To with John Wilson" in 2020, where they all wormed their way into my brain and I became desperate to get other people to check them out and talk with them about it.

Echoing everyone else's comments about this being art, surreal and importantly, "laughing very loud" funny at multiple occasions, whether it was what Nathan was doing (walking around with his laptop strapped to him, "Thrifty Boy" sneaking in a ketchup snack), the setups using others (Burj Khalifa construction worker), and sometimes simple shots of the increasingly ridiculous lengths he extended the premise to (full recreation of the bar down to the balloon by the air vent and rips in the old chairs or the humongous flow chart program as he diagrams the potential scenarios).

One thing my wife mentioned that made me think/lol - the white lie about Kor's grandmother dying from "brain cancer or something" to get the rehearsed table from that couple is arguably worse than what he originally felt guilty about.

e: also the faint playing of "Pure Imagination" towards the end, combined with the final cut to the actor playing Kor instead of the guy himself, amazing

sticksy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ShowTime posted:

I didn't even think of the cancer thing on my list of all the kind of lovely things Nathan is responsible for in this 1st episode. The premise of the show is "I wanna be a better person and I want to help people do the same". Instead he's tricking them and getting them to do progressively worse things. Maybe that's a NFY staple, but I never watched it.

This is not the premise of the show IMO or if it is, it's incidental to furthering Nathan's machinations

quote:

The fake Alligator pizza oven is just some guy taking unmade pizza, throwing it right into the garbage and putting up an already made pizza from somewhere else.

The little touches like the guy immediately shoveling it into the garbage are what makes Fielder's stuff so good, interspersed with other things that are unscripted, like the bartender actress not knowing how to make a margarita and just sprinkling salt all in it, lol

double edit: also in the final rehearsal with the full bar and they all start loudly talking about Kor not having a Master's degree

sticksy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 17, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

He's literally making mandela effects in the show.

One of the many, many highlights from How To

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

JAMOOOL posted:

amusing find from Reddit, Kor was on an an episode of Cash Cab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADGSUbWfMk

according to the person who posted it, he did tell the team he had a Masters, and also apparently Cash Cab is fake? (it's a real game show, but they don't just pick people up off the street like they say they do)

Wait does this also mean that BangBus didn’t just pick up random women on the street of Miami? This changes everything.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
tviv was a mistake

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
It’s been almost 12 hours and I’m still laughing about this

quote:

Basically yeah. It might be my fault for treating this as a reality show rather than as fiction. It just seems so gross to me to involve real people's lives in a fictional show like this. Like, Kor is an actual human being, not an actor. If you want this stuff to play out the way it did, why gently caress with someone's life? Why not just write a story and film that? If Top Gun had actually blown up actual human beings with actual jet missiles or whatever, I'd be pissed.

New thread title, please:
“The Rehearsal - if they’d blown up human beings with actual jet missiles, I’d be pissed”

sticksy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 19, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, Nathan for You was kind of fun as a layered thing, since if you nerded out hard and started spotting the "reality TV" efforts you could still enjoy people putting up with absurd stuff because they were desperate to get demo reel footage for their pitch for an Investigation Discovery show or putting up with Nathan's nonsense since they getting their business on TV might help (or they were just having fun, which is nice too). Or like I said earlier, you had parents putting their kids through some really weird stuff all because they thought it'd help make their kids a star.

This show somehow ran for 3 seasons on ID, wonder if he ever thanked Nathan or played football with him properly

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
In order to make this post, I first practiced it dozens of times in another forum that had been designed to precisely recreate Something Awful, down to the Admins being degenerates, a self-loathing and slowly eroding user base of computer touchers in their 30s and 40s, and a disturbing amount of posters not understanding how to watch TV.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

Do you have access to the special that aired before the season started? It aired as the first episode of the season and is pretty funny, but it sounds like you might have skipped it.

Him poking at sterling host of "Nathan for You - A Celebration," Anthony Napoli, about the threesome and Napoli getting very agitated about it, plus the absolutely brutal awkwardness between them throughout, still makes me laugh

Paper Lion posted:

yeah the play in finding frances and to some extent the season 3 finale as well are kind of blueprints for the rehearsal

Yeah, I recently did a rewatch of most of N4U after S2 of How To and thought back to it again after watching the Rehearsal premiere.

Although this isn't anything profound, it was striking to me to think about how the framework for The Rehearsal was repeatedly established throughout the show - as you said, "Finding Frances" was the most complete example of this plus "The Hero," but there were numerous other times when he did some very elaborate and great lengths practicing something or coaching someone else in order to construct the story or scenario he wanted for comedic or interesting effect.

Looking back at the episode list, just a few examples like "Claw of Shame," "Petting Zoo," "The Anecdote," "The Movement," "Smokers Allowed (”I love you"), "The Richards Tip," "The Hunk", plus most bits where he used an earpiece of some sort, all involved this in some degree. It's cool to see him now refining and focusing on this bigger idea with a bigger budget.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 21, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's kind of incredible that I think Nathan only broke character twice in the show that I can easily think of. The grandson piss guy and the exorcism.

I don’t remember the episode but also the brothers when he followed them back to their apartment and they talked about boning down in the same room with random chicks.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gorman Thomas posted:

On the one hand NYF and The Rehearsal are incredible tv.

On the other hand, Nathan antagonized a bipolar guy during a NYF scene and said guy later had a mental break, which has since led to members of my family possibly getting a restraining order against the guy for harrassment. Like I don't think his appearance on the show directly led to this, the guy was always an rear end in a top hat, but being humiliated on TV probably didn't help. It does make me watch the show a bit differently tho.

Edit: can't go into more detail sorry

drat, now I feel guilty about greenlighting “Cry Wolfe” for 3 seasons.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

inferis posted:

Dude, you told him about tag team bro?

Shout out to J Squad

https://youtu.be/h1xCqptlNcM?t=375

I love that the weirdness of the situation is heightened by him wearing an elf suit while talking to the Ohio Tag Team Bros about this.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Or this one with the private investigator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVMrp9DKxI

After rewatching this episode this afternoon, it led me to look at Wolfe's Yelp page, some pretty good reviews on there now :lol:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/wolfes-investigations-los-angeles-4

One example:

quote:

Quality PI ... A little talkative though... That cost him a star... Also, seems a little paranoid... Asked me to get in his truck and thought I was someone else. Not cool bro...

His interactions with Wolfe might be my favorite recurring character on the show.

Well, him or anything with Solomon, who somehow makes it even 100x more awkward than Nathan does, but he's a sweet guy.

edit: some kind soul compiled a list of many of the businesses Nathan helped, and here's his profile with some of his reviews:
https://www.yelp.com/collection/L_2uqDdoGAvxAFc4BdAM7A/List-of-Nathan-for-You-businesses
https://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=yTUkdErRB_xZDOd9IIVuzw

sticksy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 23, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The craziest part of that interview is the bit where it says he and Angela are still talking and think they're meant to be together lol.

Even crazier when you realize people like this represent like 25% of the population in this country.

Only 25%?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Mental Hospitality posted:

I just finished the first episode of this knowing nothing about it going in, other than the thread looked hot, and now I feel like my brain is kinda broken.

Because of the show, this thread, or both?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Yeah I think there might be confusion because they were in an actual adoption agency office, but it was just one of the actor baby moms.

Him prodding to put her on the spot to say why she had to give up her baby was classic Nathan.

e: maybe I’m just a fellow sociopath but I don’t think he is ever needlessly cruel, he just comfortable when it’s awkward and making others uncomfortable and uses that to create very funny situations and interactions.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 29, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

shes going to continue to date Robbin and they're going to crash a scion tc at 100 mph because they're looking at a sign that says "17 MVP players can't be wrong"

Will she be holding his phone for him as he drives or would the wireless radiation affect the baby’s skull too much?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Charles Ingalls posted:

many animal shelters won’t let anyone adopt black cats right before halloween, but it’s because people use them as props for their witch costumes or whatever they need them for and abandon them afterwards

That’s just what Google, who is controlled by Satan and denies the Coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, is peddling. Don’t you know anything??

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I’m also curious to see how the fake family ties into what was shown in the season preview and the finale where Nathan is a kid with a blonde wig for some reason??

I think it’s tough to say if this would be better like NFY where each episode was relatively self-contained vs the broader meta where he’s the one mostly doing the rehearsing. I definitely would’ve loved to see more of that weaved in like were in the first few episodes and maybe have them run 45-60 min to also do the parts that revolve around him.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Argue posted:

None of you are thinking Nathan enough. Zaslav isn't just renewing Nathan, Nathan is pulling Zaslav's strings. All this WB poo poo? It's part of the seasonal arc for Nathan For You season 5, which gets backdoor piloted in The Rehearsal season 2.

How does "How to with John Wilson" fit into the Nathanverse?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

as a parent of a 6 year old, this is absolutely brutal. good lord

Yeah, that first 10 minutes was heartbreaking (dad of 8 year old twins + 3 year old here)

inferis posted:

does any six year old really understand what acting is?

Yeah, on some level they do, at least in abstract. Like my kids would talk about recognizing some actor playing different parts in different shows or that one would be doing VO in a cartoon then acting in another.

I think where it gets really murky IMO is prolonged and direct exposure to that artifice, which is what happened here to an extreme degree of immersion, especially with Remy and the older 8-9 yro Adam.

Nathan admits as much throughout the season about himself and he's a guy in his late 30's (although that could obviously be fake and just saying it, it sure looked legit). I rewatched his rehearsal for The Rehearsal, "Finding Francis," again today, he says a line over narration when he's out with Maci he will return to in this show: "the more we kept shooting things, the harder it became to tell where the show ended and the life began."

I also wasn't really cognizant of it until I was a parent and it seems really obvious, but the difference in understanding and maturity, sometimes between 1-1.5 years is staggering.

Kids at 5-6 can understand that they're playing on some level, however they can still also really immerse themselves in play (see the numerous examples of some kid wearing a full costume of something in public because to them in that moment or few hours, they ARE that character and will not accept or respond to being addressed as themselves.) Remy's mom probably told him he would be "playing" a role as the son, but given his painful awareness that he doesn't have one and heartbreaking desire for a father in his life, I can easily see where the fiction becomes overwhelmingly hard to dissociate despite knowing it's not true.

tldr: this show is amazing and I can't think of another piece of media that moved me in so many different and unexpected ways

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The actress playing the part of the PA commenting to the mom about Nathan being "a weird dude"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think she was the actor that played the PA from the second version of the Fielder Method class in the fourth episode.

Yes, her - the one who pressured "Nathan" to sign the release because it was all standard stuff.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

The thing I respected most about the final episode is how there is no big reveal.

I’m sorry, did you miss the shot of his butt crack? :butt:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
From a few years ago, I just reread this about “Finding Francis” and it did a great job of summarizing the weird murky area that Nathan creates, inhabits, and brings others into. I’d love to see his updated take.

Very much worth reading the whole thing, a couple of quotes that stood out to me as also pretty relevant to the Rehearsal:

https://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com/2017/11/15/the-aching-reality-of-nathan-for-you/

Film Critic Hulk posted:

3. BREAKING
It’s not the mere fact that there are “real” moments on Nathan For You. No, the most important factor is the base-line reality of the show itself. It never breaks. Just as Nathan never breaks. Because it understands that for an audience to truly believe a story, you have to believe every part of it. No, I’m not saying the audience has to be %100 duped or something like that. After all, we know Nathan is a guy who is largely orchestrating events as a “character.” But the point is that the show acts has to act as if it’s all real anyway. I am telling you, this is actually critical to all storytelling. Because if you have a moment where you let the air out? Where you let the audience see the seams? Well, then you broke the audience’s suspension of disbelief. I mean, there a reason most reality breaking gently caress-it moments come at the end of a story and not the middle. But within these kinds of “comic realities,” there’s all sorts of mini ways to mess up “reality” without even thinking about it.

Film Critic Hulk posted:

4. MACI

But the most fascinating part of this is the way he lets her into the larger reality of the show itself. He even shows her episodes and she’s able to directly call out the larger identity of the show. She laughs but calls him out for mean, even saying “you lied to every last one of them.” Her basic sense of decency and being able to the see the fabric of the show’s ugly construction is fascinating, but she also keeps being kind to Nathan (who, after all, is paying her). From there the questions keep bleeding together, what does she really understand about the cameras and the dates that are happening? Because she she’s there and being genuine throughout the whole thing, but she’s also constantly pointing out how this is weird and he’s weird for doing it.
…..
I feel like we end up asking these kinds of questions with the show constantly: How much of the show is orchestrated? How much do the people on it know and understand? How does this all even happen?

Film Critic Hulk posted:

Even in character, Nathan seems hesitant to keep endorsing this. But he wants to help him get over this initial disappointment, so he goes back to his amazing use of role-playing, which gets at the old-adage of “the play’s the thing wherein i’ll catch the conscience of the king.” Yup, it’s right out of the playbook of famed documentarian Joshua Oppenheimer and The Act of Killing. Nathan hires an actress to play Frances, but Bill is laying it on thick and (also laying his attraction onto the actress too thick and keeps talking about her teeth!?). He’s using the scenario for all his darkest and most unhinged impulses of what to say and not to say to the woman he’s thought about for fifty years. So Nathan switches it up and has him play Frances’s role, and suddenly it all changes dramatically. You hear all this anger and him finally admitting “you cheated!” and you realize it’s every single thing he’s been yelling at himself for years. Yup, the role reversal actually works.And so Bill the actor finally calms down, goes back to his old role, and seems to genuinely understand that he has to be accepting of both where she is in life, her new situation, and also what he did to her all those years ago.

Film Critic Hulk posted:

No, regret is about a lifetime of choices that bring you to the place where you got the thing you wanted, but not the thing you needed.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

Her, teenager Adam, and 9 year old Adam all deserve Best Supporting Actor nominations

"You're a loving disaster, my guy" still comes up in my mind every now and then and makes me laugh

:agreed:

Just like many parts of this show, those people really make me want to know which parts are scripted and which are improvised, although it'd probably take a bit of joy and mystery out of it

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Consummate Professional posted:

Was making small talk with a stranger and they told me they were in horrible car accident, got all hosed up and have been in physical therapy. Which is hard to get to with a totaled car.

The car?

A scion tC

I want to believe

Miracle status

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
100% Robbin for me

Also lol

https://twitter.com/aperiodjperiodb/status/1563518064049934336

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

Uh did they ask to be quoted the Bible

For their bar mitzfah

Yes, particularly the New Testament

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
AND co-written by Benny Safdie, this is going to be so goddamn anxiety inducing

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Paper Lion posted:

nathan for you pivots hard after he gets called the wizard of loneliness. there are still those aspects of his character beforehand like with the hunk, but to have someone else directly point it out in the text was the permission nathan needed to move the show in the more humanistic direction it went. so much of the later series are about more human concerns and not so much about the more straight helping businesses conceit.

I love watching the Vanity Fair features where a director/actor goes through the background behind the making of scenes in their films and I saw this one not long ago with Sacha Baron Cohen talking about his 2020 Borat movie. The whole thing is worth watching since it's really good and clearly a huge influence on Nathan, but at 3:00 he talks about making the first Borat and this quote hit home to me about what/how Nathan does what he does which is just an amazing conceit imo, particularly in Finding Francis and then to some unknown degree in The Rehearsal (probably not a coincidence he was a producer on SBC's "This is America" show on Showtime)

Sacha Baron Cohen posted:

I remember making the first Borat movie and after the first scene, it was like a moment of realization where these are real people who are moving the story forward. They don't know that they're in a movie, they don't know that the things they say are going to change these fake characters' lives, but they are real people who are changing the story

https://youtu.be/mXKzMReDPKE

veni veni veni posted:

I love that all of the people on the show that aren't actual actors have made Cameos in response to it airing, and also either don't care or don't seem to realize that the only people buying them are doing it because they think it's funny.

Not hating on Kor though he seems like an allright guy.

That's one of the many great and meta things about Nathan's productions imo is that often the people he initially features then try to get capitalize on their very limited newfound fame with mixed results.

Hell, he even had that episode of NFY dedicated to people like the Ghost Realtor or Simon the Securty Guard trying to get their own shows, obviously the fact that asshat PI not only got an actual show "Cry Wolfe" but 3 seasons was somehow made still amazes me. There are probably others that weren't featured on followup episodes we don't even know about, and I would guess most had almost 0 awareness of Nathan before signing up to do his thing.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I think the 3 confirmed times Nathan broke on camera (or at least that they didn’t edit out) were Ghost Realtor Swiss ghost assault, tag team bros, and grandson’s pee. Every one is hilarious and very much what the audience is thinking too, but interesting/funny to see him not be able to hold it back.

Then again he did have a couple of interactions with Brian Wolfe where he got very close, like when he was disputing the definition of what he did was pornography or when he threw the football at him lol

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
It's been like a month and a half since I saw it but I periodically think about that background actress lady in the Raisin Cain's, pretending to nibble on a chicken finger, and it still makes me laugh

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Kor and Cheap Chick in the City should cash in quick with a trivia podcast

Based upon her “interview” and their interactions at the Lizard Lounge, I’m not sure you could pay me to download and listen to that

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Snowy posted:

I might miss Kor if I have to go help my mother in law move. If only I could get some people interested in a good workout to do the job for me.

Also pay the maid service to hire like 40 all at once so you can have it done quick.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Wow, Line City

e: that’s cool you’re there, lovely that you can’t get in. I guess that at least means the show is pretty popular and hopefully Kor is getting a nice little payday :unsmith:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/pickbaudisbrain/status/1578564526844149760

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Snowy posted:

Kor’s appearance made it into the Mew Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/10/10/kor-skeetes-un-rehearsed-celebrity-life

Now I regret not having him sign an orange juice box, at least someone was thinking

Should’ve have him sign your bachelor’s degree diploma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Concatenation posted:

Eye city over here