Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Maybe I've just grown intensely cynical but it's precisely the fact that they seem to have nailed just about everything so far, from involving Gaiman to the cast to McKean credits, that makes me think it can't possibly be any good. No production company can get everything right and they've got to be coming up on the limit. Just generally Netflix strikes me as more in the business of making ~engaging content~ than making art which I'm sure is gonna creep in. And someone's got to know they already got enough stuff right for it to be well received with fans no matter if the actual scripts, visuals, direction etc. are any good. I would very, very much like to be completely wrong about all of this.

but man, Asim Chaudhry, how perfect is that casting? I've only ever seen him on Taskmaster and that was enough to near jump out of my chair yelping holy poo poo yes
Everything Gaiman says it's not perfect 1:1 adaptation (as it should since I feel some stuff doesn't translate well in different mediums) and if you want that to go listen to the audiobooks which are apparently decent and also have a really good cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fyja48qK2g
Seems like yeah they are expanding The Corinthian to being the season long villain and expanding his role in the story

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Listening to the Audiobook and I really really hope whoever plays Cain talks like Vincent Price

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Eh, honestly I feel that A Game of You is the one Sandman story it's okay to skip.
Yeah I'm getting to it in the audiobook where apparently they've made changes to it to make it less problematic since the source material hasn't aged well in 25 years, but also they aren't getting to that til season 2.

Will say if people want the "original" Death they can always listen to the audiobook which I think Kat Dennings does a good job

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm loving this show but Patton Oswalt was a bad choice, he's taking me out of the tone of the show. Maybe I'm just tired of him though.
Yeah Andy Serkais in the audio book does a great job in that Matthew talks like a NYC cab driver

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm so fuckin hype for my boi Hob. Always loved his story, like gently caress living is great, so happy he was running his mouth in that bar, always thankful for the deal.

Just did episode 1 this morning and it's good. Holy gently caress I forgot this is where all my metaphysical mumbo-jumbo came from, reading this poo poo in the combination warhammer-store/comicbook-shop is where my whimsical goth aesthetic really solidified into my goofy-serious immortal soul.

Afterwards I did the bootleg thing where I watched a YouTube of a dude going over the "A Game Of You" comic arc. Yo that witch was I C E C O L D. No hesitation, no malice, just slamming dream ravens against the wall and stabbing the sender. Lemmie get my spell kit, we about to saw this face off and nail it to the wall and have a lil chat. See, told you ol dude was threat, confession right there, now let's get all witchcrafty with some blood magic. Homegirl is preggers and ol dude unfortunately blood magic has some :biotruths: baked in. Let's goooooo DREAM WARRIORS
Thankfully the audiobook for A Game Of You get's rid of a lot of the outdated :biotruths: in it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The rewrites to Calliope were well done but what really impressed me the most about the episode is how much harder even the base story hits now, post-#metoo, than it did when I first read it. Stories don't usually age and get stronger.

I do wonder how general audiences are finding the loose anthology structure of this show, where the title character may only show up for a few minutes in any given episode. I would think current audiences might not be used to that kind of storytelling.
I forgot in the comic when Madoc is getting offers for making the book into movie it's from Weinstein lol

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Was Weinstein being rapey known in 1991? The earliest I can find is Gwyneth Paltrow saying he was coercive in 1998

When did whispers about Joss Whedon’s abuse start

I’m curious about which creatives were known for being sex pests in the early 90’s, and who Gaiman pictured in his mind when he wrote it back thenn
It's probably not intentional and more kind of darkly funny in retrospect

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Quite the opposite, Gaiman's script said "all we see is the wooden floor, and Calliope's hand, and Ric's hand around her wrist". Although, not sure what it said for the panels before and after.

Oh there was also one bit about how the penciller made her look terribly emaciated when we first see her and the inker took some of that back.
Yeah it's unfortunate that this was a time in comics where there were graphic scenes of sexual violence to show how serious and mature the subject matter is

Also iirc, Neil's inspiration for this story was basically his fear of getting writer's block

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Episode 6 was one of the best hours of television I've seen in a while. The rest of it was OK. I get why they went for "dreamlike" pacing but I would have enjoyed it more if it was a little tighter. Makes me want to re-read the comics.
I would also once again recommend the audiobook since they do a really good job making Sandman into a radio play "Where is Act 3 Neil" :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

If people want more Sandman; the audiobook for Act III just dropped; sadly no BRIAN BLESSED for Destruction

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I've been wondering when is next part of The Sandman Audiobook dropping; imagine the writers/actors strike delayed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah that's my feeling too; I need to relisten to them; it's so good and amazing what sound effects/score do to make you visualize it. All the roles are perfect except Kevin Smith as Merv don't know how he got it.

Like the Song of Orpheus hits so hard.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 22, 2024