Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMuP3P9Ua84

Some observations:

Homeowner spotted at 16:50. She doesn't seem to notice him. I think he might be a ghost, or spirit. His face paint to me resembles Australian Aboriginal paint. You can see the lady in the painting in the swimming pool, even before he enters the house. The camera seems to be like a surveillance camera, and makes sounds like one. He says he has two jobs, the second of which "he doesn't like to do." Part ways into the video, he seems to change personas, looking for mirrors, and not recognizing the dog he was playing with earlier. The colors outside of the house are extremely muted, suggesting a spirit or ghost like state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
This seems to be a more personal version of his last short, which was shown on Adult Swim as "May I Please Enter:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgxSIFcTvLo

If you're unfamiliar with Alan Resnick, he is mostly well known for his YouTube series from the mid 2010's, "alantutorial".

He then produced two videos for Adult Swim's 4:00 am block ("Infomercials") that again he is quite well known for. These videos became very popular on YouTube, getting almost 11 million views so far between them.

If you've never seen them, I'd start with this video, which did not air on Adult Swim, but is part of the same universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=453wgsWT5Ao

Short #1 - "Unedited Footage of a Bear":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8

Short #2 - "This House Has People in It":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-pj8OtyO2I

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
"Enterings" has not appeared on Adult Swim (yet), but was released as part of "Eternal Family" which is a very experimental branch of Wham City Comedy. Their full content can only be viewed on their website, or on the "Eternal Family" app for iOS and Android, but occassionally, material is released in full on their YouTube channel, as above.

To give some idea of what their other content is like, check this weird poo poo out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJK2dBIhFug

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
yeah i watched it, op, it was pretty weird

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

treat posted:

yeah i watched it, op, it was pretty weird

i thought more peeps would find it interesting to analyze, oh well sometimes this happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I liked "unedited footage of a bear" and "this house has people in it" but I don't get this at all. I had to stop halfway through.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

alantutorial was a gem and concluded perfectly if perhaps premature. he probably single handedly spawned the disaster tutorial genre like howtobasic, and I say this as the guy who runs the masao youtube archive. i haven't been nearly as impressed with his work since, except Living As You Are Now Forever, which contains the great retort by an AI bot declaring "my wife has hair" before a face reveal of the wife, which is nothing more than a round golf-ball of flesh that pulsates and is otherwise motionless and stationary in the air with no concern to gravity, and completely hairless

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg29TuWo0Yo

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I liked "unedited footage of a bear" and "this house has people in it" but I don't get this at all. I had to stop halfway through.

I didn't. I re-watched it looking for more stuff to find. This appears to be a more personal thing he made so he didn't have a budget, actors, etc.

The phone he calls appears to be a business style phone, so I'm not sure it's in the house.

His fingers have some kind of fluid in them when he cuts them, not blood, reinforcing the idea that he might be a ghost or is dead.

One thing I didn't mention is that Alan Resnick's friend is Robby Rackleff who collaborates with him on most of his projects, including the Adult Swim stuff.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
He's also part of Wham City, which does some similar interesting stuff.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

yeah, this feels like a covid protocol film.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I'm convinced the character is a ghost. There are a lot of things in the piece reinforcing this. He makes a ghostly noise when he rides the bike. His fingers don't have blood in them, it's watery, like a dead body.

I think he died in the dessert of dehydration. That's how he looks. His ghost wandered out, looking like he did when he died, and he found a house he felt some sort of connection to, which he entered. (His connection to that particular house is unexplained.)

Ghosts are often said to feel the need to do certain unresolved things before they "move on", whatever that means, and in this piece, that idea is approached in a more absurdist manner. He plays with the dog, he watches a movie on TV, he looks in mirrors, he looks at paintings, one of which talks and reflects in the pool, he doesn't want to enter a room with a person in it, he rides a bike, he talks on the phone (and is upset he doesn't have another person to talk to), etc.

Finally he feels sleepy and fulfilled, so he leaves. ("Moves on" ?)

The face paint looks like some kind of tribal, aboriginal paint, where a white face is often used to mean a spirt or ghost.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

parthenocarpy posted:

alantutorial was a gem and concluded perfectly if perhaps premature. he probably single handedly spawned the disaster tutorial genre like howtobasic, and I say this as the guy who runs the masao youtube archive.

You Suck At Photoshop predates it.

But Dorf predates them both.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

tbh I didnt particularly enjoy the film, op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Nap Ghost
I would rather not waste 20 minutes just to participate in this thread

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’m not sure wha Alan’s character is supposed to “be”, but a couple thoughts so far:

A: It reminded me of a time when my wife and I were going somewhere down south and decided to drop by to see her parents unannounced. They weren’t home and we had a few hours to kill before the thing we were in the area to do, so her parents gave us the door code and said we could hang out there. I had never been in their house when it wasn’t full of people, and the thing that stood out to me was how creepy and wrong it felt for this space to be empty. I both felt like an invader, and like the house itself was almost menacing. Something about a big family home being empty like that feels off.

B: Since Covid started I’ve spent a lot more time in or around the apartment than ever, and I find myself feeling irrationally concerned that someone else is in my house when my wife or I aren’t home. Not even stealing anything; just… there. Granted, I never would have been cool with someone breaking in and/or robbing me before Covid, but it also wasn’t such a preoccupation. I don’t doubt that the relationship between a lot of people and their inside/outside world have become skewed like this, especially people who are still working from home (I do 3 out of 5 days now).

C: Resnick seems really, really preoccupied with family/suburban/living spaces and the idea that they’re inherently protected and a source of baseline normalcy that we can return to when the outside world becomes too much, and in a lot of his videos that sense of normalcy and/or protection is being intentionally violated or warped. This one, the previous one about touring someone’s house, Unedited…, This House Has…, the one about the guy living in the parking garage, maybe more; they all play with this idea that there is no such thing as a safe space and there is no baseline normalcy to rely on.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

It's a spirit possessing a corpse, which is why he's in a suit at the start of it. The spirit has fun prancing around and talking on the phone like people do but it's a stranger in the man's body just like it's a stranger in the house, hence the name "Enterings"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Nap Ghost

Flavahbeast posted:

It's a spirit possessing a corpse, which is why he's in a suit at the start of it. The spirit has fun prancing around and talking on the phone like people do but it's a stranger in the man's body just like it's a stranger in the house, hence the name "Enterings"

isn't everyone just a spirit possessing a corpse?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

isn't everyone just a spirit possessing a corpse?

lol

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I watched it last week and I did not like it OP. But I like some of his other videos, especially the cowboy hat guy one and the couples' shelf full of things. But sometimes i think, "Too Many Cooks is good" and then I remember he didn't do that one. Wham City is cool does Dan Deacon really smell bad as I have heard here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
This one was kind of lacking. Like where's the rabbit hole? Where's the secret website?

That being said, color has often played a crucial role in some of his pieces, such as alantutorial. The reddened face and blue smeared fingers might be symbolic of something, maybe a conflict between words and action?

Anyway, I think it's really about a dude who's been huffing paint in the desert and comes home and role plays what it might be like to invade a stranger's home and just gently caress about.