Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This is an extremely goony request and hopefully the right subforum to ask it.

There's an ancient program called Microsoft TalkIt!. The program came as part of a Microsoft Plus pack, and it was famously used to generate the voice of CATS, villain of Zero Wing and icon of All Your Base, using the Big Robot preset. Friendly reminder: https://you.

TalkIt! used the SoftVoice TTS engine, which I think is built into Windows. TalkIt! comes with a few DLLs, which may or may not enable or work with the voice. The closest one to Big Robot is called Colossus.

I would love to learn some basic web app development and building by making a Talk It-esque web app. Does anyone know how possible it is to even do this? Would I need to have an actual Windows VM with TalkIt installed and have some kind of scripting that launches the program, inputs the text, speaks the words into an audio capture or such, then present the file? Or is there some way to utilize SoftVoice TTS (or its equivalent, I'm not fixed on just that one) in a serverless app in Azure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I use MaryTTS: http://mary.dfki.de/

You run it in a container, send it a webrequest with some text and it will send you the audio back.

Works really good.