Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I don't see why you're so surprised...

DKII posted:

where the laws are made up and the jury doesn't matter.

You predicted it all in your opening statement! :v:

Edit: Update on previous page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'm going to guess we're about the properly meet evil smirky dude; seems like being a convenient witness would play right into his plan to set up Butz. Especially since Butz is such a loving dumbass that he'll probably end up accidentally agreeing with the dude setting him up.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Blind Ace Attorney is very good and fun, yes.

...Though, the 'ace' is questionable.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I don't see why you're so surprised...

You predicted it all in your opening statement! :v:

Edit: Update on previous page!

Ha! I may have come up with that line after playing through (but not yet writing up, beyond first impressions) the first episode.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'll admit I don't really know, like, anything about law and stuff. But isn't the Fifth Amendment, etc. a "you MAY" type of thing? As in, it's entirely optional whether you want to use it or not? And, well, you've already seen how Larry is, I don't think it's too farfetched to think he would turn down the opportunity to keep his mouth shut...

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

serefin99 posted:

I'll admit I don't really know, like, anything about law and stuff. But isn't the Fifth Amendment, etc. a "you MAY" type of thing? As in, it's entirely optional whether you want to use it or not? And, well, you've already seen how Larry is, I don't think it's too farfetched to think he would turn down the opportunity to keep his mouth shut...

5A in the US formulation is that the prosecution cannot compel you to give up self-incriminating information. You can absolutely cede that voluntarily, even under deception or some forms of duress. And of course its an oft-violated right anyway.

e: Also AA is very not based on the American legal system, but if it were then Mr. Larry isn't really having his rights violated he's just being a terrible defendant.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, it's important to note that everytime someone says America or Burgers its a very transparent paste over by localizers, and it only holds up to scrutiny in this game. The story is very much set in Japan.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, so according to the localization, the game takes place in "California", but the game is still full of Japanese references everywhere.

It is a common joke to say the game takes place in the state of Japanifornia.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Lemonade Impson DLC is hard but you can beat it if you object when they bring up gloves.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You might, uh, want to pay attention to characters' names. Most of them are some kind of a (usually properly horrible) pun.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I like to imagine Phoenix and Larry developed their weird sign language when they were kids and for some reason still use it regularly even now.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
There's a whole form of playground sign language in Japanese using sounds and gestures to translate to syllables. The one that most immediately comes to mind is clapping one's hands, "pan"; holding up two fingers for "tsu"; making a circle, "maru"; and pretending to look at something in the distance, "mie". That runs together into a sentence that means "Your underwear is showing." Seen that one in two different contexts. There's also a mini-language using the pronunciations of numbers to spell words. Japanese has few enough syllables (and enough different ways to pronounce numbers) that it's possible to do all sorts of things.

But yes, the court system in this game, and the court systems in the wider series, are very antagonistic toward defendants. I don't want to give too much detail, since that would be leading the witness - er, player - but I'm reminded of a very, very old Doctor Who episode where one of the characters was subjected to a "guilty until proven innocent" court system. He was found unconscious at a murder scene, and so was presumed to have been the murderer. Even when the actual murderer was tricked into confessing in court, and was then assassinated by an unseen individual before he could testify, the court held the defendant until he could prove that he wasn't the one who'd hired the killer. Logic was pretty flimsy in early Doctor Who, but that episode really stands out.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I get it, and I'll be more lax in later episodes once I've called out everything once here. But you want blind first impressions, there they are. :)

The good thing is these are really minor nits rather than major problems, and serve to be more entertaining than annoying anyway. A good, fun game can allow someone to overlook a lot of things. I put in a longer review of the first episode at the end of it, but it'll be some time still until we get there...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nidoking posted:

There's a whole form of playground sign language in Japanese using sounds and gestures to translate to syllables. The one that most immediately comes to mind is clapping one's hands, "pan"; holding up two fingers for "tsu"; making a circle, "maru"; and pretending to look at something in the distance, "mie". That runs together into a sentence that means "Your underwear is showing."

I thought they just made that up for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nidoking posted:

There's a whole form of playground sign language in Japanese using sounds and gestures to translate to syllables. The one that most immediately comes to mind is clapping one's hands, "pan"; holding up two fingers for "tsu"; making a circle, "maru"; and pretending to look at something in the distance, "mie". That runs together into a sentence that means "Your underwear is showing." Seen that one in two different contexts. There's also a mini-language using the pronunciations of numbers to spell words. Japanese has few enough syllables (and enough different ways to pronounce numbers) that it's possible to do all sorts of things.

I think there was a reference to this in Bowser's Inside Story, where the combination to a safe means something in this mini-language.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I'd have loved to know the gestures to signal "stop looking at my drat test, Carl, the teacher will suspend us both".

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

That's just one finger.

And it's not the one Phoenix points with.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

Tulip posted:

5A in the US formulation is that the prosecution cannot compel you to give up self-incriminating information. You can absolutely cede that voluntarily, even under deception or some forms of duress. And of course its an oft-violated right anyway.

e: Also AA is very not based on the American legal system, but if it were then Mr. Larry isn't really having his rights violated he's just being a terrible defendant.

FWIW the Japanese protection against self-incrimination works the same way (one of the products of the US heavily influencing Japan's post-WWII constitution, I believe). So either way, no one has an obligation to stop Larry from saying dumb poo poo or to disregard the dumb poo poo once he's said it. The prosecution can't force him to do it, but it's Larry, so that's not necessary anyway.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 5: Episode 1, Trial: A Perfectly Reliable Witness

We're really going to have the witness, who "saw" our defendent fleeing the scene of the crime, be named "Saw It"?

Oh, that's the murderer from the prologue. This whole thing is a setup.

Here's the profile for our "witness".

Please tell the court what you saw on the day of the murder.

Well, this segment looks special.

Music: Questioning - Moderato

During this entire sequence, the word "Testimony" is flashing in the upper-left, to remind us that we're doing something special here.

There's the flashback shot from the prologue.

Thinking it strange, I looked inside the apartment.

I quailed in fright and found myself unable to go inside.

I thought to call the police immediately!

However, the phone in her apartment wasn't working.

I went to a nearby park and found a public phone.

The man who ran was, without a doubt, the defendant sitting right over there.

Well, I can find two holes in this testimony right now. How did he know the phone in the apartment wasn't working if he never set foot in the apartment? And he said the time he found the body was 1pm, but the autopsy report said the time of death was 4pm. Also wouldn't there be a record of when the call went in to the police?

Music: Silence

On its own though, that testimony definitely shows that Larry had the opportunity to commit the murder. Showing the means is a simple deduction of him having the strength to wield the murder weapon, which was likely nearby at the time. Right now, we're pretty much screwed.

(I can't defend you against a testimony like that!)

Oh, relax. We still have our side to present here.

Your Honor, at the time of the murder, there was a blackout in the building.

Aren't phones supposed to work during a blackout?

Yes,

However, some cordless phones do not function normally.

This line doesn't quite make sense - Mr. Sahwit saw the phone, but he didn't use it because it didn't work. Maybe a translation error?

Your Honor...

Noon to 6pm covers both the 1pm time that Mr. Sahwit said he found the victim, and the actual 4pm-5pm time of death. I actually went and double-checked the time of death from the autopsy here, just to make sure I was remembering right.

I couldn't object during the testimony itself, but we'll still get our chance to cross-examine this sleazebag!

Assuming Mia doesn't kill us first...

Music: Telling the Truth

Uh... what exactly am I supposed to do?

Lies! What?! He was lying!?

:ughh:

Then that witness must have lied in his testimony!

Or is your client really... guilty?

!!! How do I prove he's not?

Compare the witness's testimony to the evidence at hand.

I'd like to think that in the real world they would've found this discrepancy long before the trial itself, but here we are.

Um... okay.

Okay! I know this is just the beginner case, but knowing where to start here feels good.

Music: Questioning - Allegro

Here's how this is going to work. We repeat every line in the testimony one by one, and can choose whether to "Press" the witness on what he said, or "Present" contradicting information from the Court Record (or do nothing at all). As far as I can tell, these options are mutually exclusive. Now, I could fiddle my way through this cross-examination myself line-by-line, but where would be the fun in that? Let's have you all weigh in here! There are ten lines of dialogue in the testimony, so I need ten inputs from you all. If "Present" is selected, I'll figure out what to present from there myself, or you can suggest options in the thread.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

To be honest, I just press everything every single time. Not only does that give you the most possible clues for what to present, it also gives you the most fun dialogue. :)

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah the game's designed for you to press all the statements one by one before going ahead to present evidence.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Rythian posted:

To be honest, I just press everything every single time. Not only does that give you the most possible clues for what to present, it also gives you the most fun dialogue. :)
This

also, aside from like, one case in the second game (which almost nobody likes), you can press every statement without retribution, and you are in fact encouraged to do so

it's a game about lawyers, of course there's going to be a lot of dialogue! :v:

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

I know on RetroAchievements there is an Achievement for finishing the first case without pressing. Canonically that is what Phoenix does as mentioned in the next case.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah the game's designed for you to press all the statements one by one before going ahead to present evidence.

Eh, the story flows a lot smoother when you don't. It kind of let's you decide if you want a tighter drama where Phoenix feels a little more competent, or if you don't mind breaking the flow to watch Phoenix talk to the judge about Ms Cinder Block.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

GilliamYaeger posted:

I figured this out most of two updates later but decided to keep the votes in for fun. :ssh:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Polls 7 and 9 are the 2 statements with contradictory information, I think. I suggest you go after him on those points using the autopsy report and the fact that he said he never entered the apartment yet knew the phone wasn’t working. Also if the building was blacked out, how did he clearly see Larry’s face?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

achtungnight posted:

Polls 7 and 9 are the 2 statements with contradictory information, I think. I suggest you go after him on those points using the autopsy report and the fact that he said he never entered the apartment yet knew the phone wasn’t working. Also if the building was blacked out, how did he clearly see Larry’s face?
it's daytime :ssh:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I know it’s daytime but they were inside and there may not be good light throughout the hallway. What he saw could thus be in doubt.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

achtungnight posted:

I know it’s daytime but they were inside and there may not be good light throughout the hallway. What he saw could thus be in doubt.

Look carefully at the image, the apartment doors open to the outside balcony/walkway.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

achtungnight posted:

The hallway is outdoors, it was quite well lit.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Rythian posted:

Except for that one case :mad:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I feel it would be very unfair for me - and most others following this LP, who will have played this game before- to vote on something where we already know the correct answer.

I agree that you should press everything but I think it's much more interesting if you, as the blind player, have to figure out for yourself what to present.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

That, and the pacing is going to be pretty sad for you if you stop to do polls for every testimony. Audience speculation about where the contradictions are can be fun, but stopping at every choice to take votes is going to establish a slower pace than you might be comfortable with.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Hey, yeah, lets not do this. Lets remember this is blind, and try our best to not spoil anything for them, even via this wink-wink nudge-nudge bullshit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nidoking posted:

That, and the pacing is going to be pretty sad for you if you stop to do polls for every testimony. Audience speculation about where the contradictions are can be fun, but stopping at every choice to take votes is going to establish a slower pace than you might be comfortable with.

Yeah, later games get pretty chonky with dialogue in between player actions, but in these shorter earlier ones it's short enough that stopping for a vote every time would kill the pacing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think I'd actually find it more fun if you, the LPer, just went with your immediate gut reaction or instinct every time. I think a lot of us know the games and know the answers, and are more here for seeing you experience it and piece together the moon logic puzzle pieces.

At least, that's how it is for me. I don't really want to give you the answer so much as see if you can get it. A core part of the AA experience is fumbling for what the game wants you to do, even when you've pieced together who the murderer is already (or the game has shown you like it has here). Just being given the right answers every time as I'm sure everyone would do, sort of takes a little away from it if you catch my meaning?

Again, only really speaking for myself here, but I would enjoy reliving my own blind playthrough vicariously by seeing if you get caught by the same things that caught me, or if you find new ones.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Nidoking posted:

You're assuming I actually stopped rather than recording every possible outcome. :twisted:

Also to some extent I am more interested in how many people would actually vote in ten simultaneous polls. :devil:

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

achtungnight posted:

the fact that he said he never entered the apartment yet knew the phone wasn’t working.

The Entryway isn't counted as entering the apartment. There is no contradiction.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I personally think Sahwit is innocent, and Larry totally did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Rythian posted:

I personally think Sahwit is innocent, and Larry totally did it.

Something smells, and experience has shown its usually the Butz